PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control: Good News

ArrowsFA1
30th August 2007, 13:59
Nico Rosberg has admitted to changing his mind about the impact of a traction control ban in Formula One, and now thinks it will make the racing much better next year.

"It's going to be exciting," said the Williams driver. "I tried it recently and it was quite shocking actually. In the difficulty sense it is not ideal - and it is going to be a big challenge for everybody."

When asked by autosport.com whether he believes the racing will be better as a result, he said: "Yeah. There'll be more mistakes, more inconsistencies. To this question I said no a few months ago, but since I tried it I will say yes now.

"You look at a track like Hungary, with no traction control, you are going to see mistakes. You are going to have drivers who are going to overdrive in the beginning and have no tyres left towards the end."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61900

wedge
30th August 2007, 14:55
I've heard Seb Bourdais mentioning the software engineers can replace TC with engine mapping, which pretty much what happened in the late 1990s.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/cff1/cff1_20070826-1820.mp3

Obviously with control ECU there are stricter parameters and the FIA can easily monitor software coding but then Windows aren't exactly the most secure software out there is it?

scaliwag
30th August 2007, 14:56

Arrows,
I wish I wish I wish, however experience has shown teams will try anything to get round that regulation, (remember Beniton with Brawn and MS), I well remember Senna saying they (Beniton) have it and are using it, he stated "I stood at the corner as MS entered and it was quite obvious to me by the sound of the engine they had tracktion control" he went on to explain, (the engine was popping and stuttering as he entered the braking zone and at the apex of the corner the popping stopped)
As for me, I truly believe they were using it, in fact I would state my life they were using it, Brawn admitted the car was equipped with it in contravention of the reg's, however Max & Berni did nothing about it!!!!!!!!

And we might remember launch control was banned, however Renault quickly got round that one.

Regards scaliwag

trumperZ06
30th August 2007, 15:09
;) Ban traction control ? You BETCHA !!!

With the massive power to weight... and limited usable rev range... this could get... EXCITING !!

:D My money's on the Finns !!!

Driving on ICE... teaches car control... in a hurry.

:eek: We will see... lift throttle over-steer... watch them spin off the track

Corner apex... Power on over-steer... the drivers will get off & back on the throttle... again & again

ArrowsFA1
30th August 2007, 16:28
I wish I wish I wish, however experience has shown teams will try anything to get round that regulation...
Possibly, and I heard the same comments from Bourdais as wedge which doesn't bode well :dozey: But hearing Rosberg say "exciting" and "a big challenge" means I'm still hopeful.

tinchote
30th August 2007, 20:09
Possibly, and I heard the same comments from Bourdais as wedge which doesn't bode well :dozey: But hearing Rosberg say "exciting" and "a big challenge" means I'm still hopeful.

We'll see what happens. In the mid 90s it was supposedly banned, but you wouldn't see a car wheelspinning at the start.

trumperZ06
30th August 2007, 20:39
We'll see what happens. In the mid 90s it was supposedly banned, but you wouldn't see a car wheelspinning at the start.

:D One can always... HOPE...

that the FIA would allow/force... the drivers to DRIVE !!!

;) Now if Mad Max and his cronies insist that the teams continue using those grooved tires and eliminate all forms of traction control...

jso1985
30th August 2007, 23:41
I woulnd't get my hopes so high, surely there's something the engineers can/will do to lessen the effects of the lack of TC.

No TC is good but I just don't think it will increase mistakes a lot

BDunnell
31st August 2007, 00:06
As for me, I truly believe they were using it, in fact I would state my life they were using it, Brawn admitted the car was equipped with it in contravention of the reg's, however Max & Berni did nothing about it!!!!!!!!

I think this ought to be clarified. For a start, the FIA did inspect the software on the top three finishers at Imola — a Benetton, Ferrari and McLaren — and launched an investigation into the findings. On the Benetton, there was an option (Option 13) found in a menu which was listed as a launch control. Ross Brawn said in an interview in 2004 that: 'We were then able to demonstrate that there was a broken chain of software; it was impossible to use Option 13... Eventually the FIA said there was no proof that we used Option 13.'

Valve Bounce
31st August 2007, 01:36

I was under teh impression that we were getting standard ECU's for next year. Now if we could only get rid of those auto gear boxes as well, ................

Roamy
31st August 2007, 03:23
I've heard Seb Bourdais mentioning the software engineers can replace TC with engine mapping, which pretty much what happened in the late 1990s.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/cff1/cff1_20070826-1820.mp3

Obviously with control ECU there are stricter parameters and the FIA can easily monitor software coding but then Windows aren't exactly the most secure software out there is it?

yes so Alonso goes back to renault - they have TAD so alonso is a shue in for the WDC next year.;

leopard
31st August 2007, 03:51
When asked by autosport.com whether he believes the racing will be better as a result, he said: "Yeah. There'll be more mistakes, more inconsistencies. To this question I said no a few months ago, but since I tried it I will say yes now.
Nico might have had great memories with ending up considerable part of the race last year at the gravel and crashes for his mistake, and curious to make its repetition next year. Good challenge ;)

Valve Bounce
31st August 2007, 04:04
Here's an interesting thought. I wonder what the difference in lap times would be between with and without Trax.

ioan
31st August 2007, 09:43
I was under teh impression that we were getting standard ECU's for next year. Now if we could only get rid of those auto gear boxes as well, ................

There is no auto gearbox in F1 at the moment.

tinchote
31st August 2007, 11:01
Here's an interesting thought. I wonder what the difference in lap times would be between with and without Trax.

Probably nothing or nearly nothing. There was a lot of talk about this in 01. The big difference of having TC is not over a single lap, but over a big distance where it reduces the chances of errors a lot.

leopard
31st August 2007, 11:51
I doubt there will be any significant difference whether or not using TC. A very simple electronic device we can make comparison is fire-system between manual direct Distributor and CDI.

CDI became likable for its practical minimizing fire-system problem while direct Distributor frequently leads troublesome might be serious for those not too much familiar with this system.

Distributor enable easier manual set up for difference speed, while CDI have more stable performance according to how the part was built and may require new different set of equipment if wants more speed.

OTA
31st August 2007, 14:00
My opinion on this is that most and obviously all of the good drivers in F1 have done thousands of laps without traction control in vehicles with a much poorer balance than a modern F1 and all of them have done alright, so I really don't think much will change. Probably on the wet the cars will be more difficult to drive, but then again they allways are. Probably the biggest challenge will be tyre management, but don't you think that Bridgestone will have a tyre ready for that challenge.

And as for Rosberg comments, I am one of those that finds much more exciting a fastest lap that a spin, so to see more spins over the course of a year won't really cut for me. I think we'll never see again an F1 sideways lap after lap. We don't even see that in tarmac rallying any more.

Cheers
David

luvracin
31st August 2007, 14:29

Standard ECU and Software, but calibration of fuelling and spark needs to be done by the teams as every engine and chassis act differently.

jas123f1
31st August 2007, 14:38

It really is good news. :)

wedge
31st August 2007, 14:40
I think it would it would've been interesting if we had standard ECUs on this year's Honda. For all I know TC could mask some of the balance issues at corner exit.

Issues worth pointing out are that F1 cars are dependant on aero and you seem to need magnifying glass to identify mistakes.

Its interesting from the outside because when a has a 'moment' the car gets loose on entry but appears to understeer back into line. But from the onboard cameras you can see the drivers having to work the wheel pretty hard.

trumperZ06
31st August 2007, 15:30
Probably nothing or nearly nothing. There was a lot of talk about this in 01. The big difference of having TC is not over a single lap, but over a big distance where it reduces the chances of errors a lot.

+1... Tin !!!

;) Some guys are now using the electronic driving aids in endurance race series. They qualify with the system turned off... but rely on the aids when driving mult. laps. No one is talking about it... but it is happening.