PDA

View Full Version : Poaching question.

Hazell B
26th August 2007, 22:59
If some pheasants cross two other people's land past their owners/breeders land and end up on my land and I shoot them, am I poaching?

Okay, so I don't shoot and I don't care for pheasant anyway, but I was wondering all the same and I can't find out the answer :s
What constitutes poaching these days?

By the way, if anyone wants pheasant for tea, come quick. I think our cat's planning some poaching of his own pretty soon now the birds are getting new feathers and can't fly so well :p :

Eki
26th August 2007, 23:11
I think our cat's planning some poaching of his own pretty soon now the birds are getting new feathers and can't fly so well :p :
Does he use lurchers for poaching?

Zico
27th August 2007, 00:19
If you're in Scotland you need a game licence, but these were abolished in England on 1 August, I believe. Otherwise it's legal.

Zico
27th August 2007, 00:35
Meant to add.. but not untill they are in season, Oct 1 - Feb 1
;)

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

Roamy
27th August 2007, 06:20
No but you will get arrested for having a gun!!

oily oaf
27th August 2007, 07:38
It's a bit of a grey area this one, however I can say that I once did 2 years hard labour in Parkhurst Prison for poaching :mad:

Mind you I had smashed my way into next door's house with an axe and then dropped their pet hen into a bucket of boiling water.
It's grilling or frying for me from now on (fume)

(lights stove and eyes cat hungrily)

PS Why has David Beckham got a bald head?
Because one of Victoria's friends told her that it would enhance her love life if she shaved her twat.
I hope this helps :monster:

LotusElise
27th August 2007, 17:53
No but you will get arrested for having a gun!!

Guns are not illegal in the UK!
You use a shotgun to shoot pheasants and they are perfectly legal when licensed.

I always thought that game birds and fish were the "property" of the person whose land they were on at the time, and can be shot or caught by that person if in season.

Eki
27th August 2007, 18:33
Guns are not illegal in the UK!
You use a shotgun to shoot pheasants and they are perfectly legal when licensed.

See the difference, fousto? In the UK you get a shotgun if you say you're going to shoot pheasants. In the US you get a fully automatic assault rifle if you say you're going to shoot "pheasants", heck, you probably get it even if you say you're going to shoot peasants.

Drew
27th August 2007, 18:37
Eki, I'd like to see you try and make the Amy Winehouse, Pictures of us and The price of having a good time threads in to American insults.

Hazell B
27th August 2007, 19:59
.... you will get arrested for having a gun!!

I would, not being licensed :p : One of my mates had a massive fine for not renewing his licence (laziness, he hasn't used the gun in ten or more years :rolleyes: ) recently and the local papers made a meal of it. When the police came to collect the gun they had to use WD40 to free the cabinate lock off :laugh:

Thanks folks, I just couldn't think where to look for the information. Didn't even think about seasons, either.

veeten
27th August 2007, 20:16
I like poached eggs... especially with corned beef hash & beans. Mmmmmm... Breakfast! :lips: :D

Zico
28th August 2007, 00:10
I would, not being licensed :p : One of my mates had a massive fine for not renewing his licence (laziness, he hasn't used the gun in ten or more years :rolleyes: ) recently and the local papers made a meal of it. When the police came to collect the gun they had to use WD40 to free the cabinate lock off :laugh:

Thanks folks, I just couldn't think where to look for the information. Didn't even think about seasons, either.

You could bag a few for the pot with a sub12ft/lb air rifle, (no licence required) but headshots only ;) If you dont want to go down the road of gun ownership, I know many people on the BBS air rifle forum who are looking for hunting permission if you have a fair bit of land land and a rabbit or pest problem, they would bag a few for you in return for the privelage. If this interests you.. let me know where you are and I should be able to get a few interested people in contact.

Rollo
28th August 2007, 01:52
If some pheasants cross two other people's land past their owners/breeders land and end up on my land and I shoot them, am I poaching?

No.
Poaching is the willful entering of land to acquire game (of which pheasant is named). If it's stupid enough to be on your land, it's like apples falling across the fence.

Okay, so I don't shoot and I don't care for pheasant anyway, but I was wondering all the same and I can't find out the answer :s
What constitutes poaching these days?

Strangely the answer is exactly the same as the first part. The willful entering of land to acquire game. It's still covered under this rather annoying bit of legislation - you'll go mad if you read it. The thing to note is that it must be willful and you must enter an enclosed land.

Killing game on a common - OK
Accidentally running over someone's pheasants - OK
Both aren't crimes :D

The Game Act of 1831.
http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&title=Game+Act&Year=1831&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&TYPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=1032098&ActiveTextDocId=1032100&filesize=113511

Eki
28th August 2007, 10:43
Eki, I'd like to see you try and make the Amy Winehouse, Pictures of us and The price of having a good time threads in to American insults.

Isn't Amy Winehouse British? It would probably be easier to make that thread to insult the British.

Hazell B
28th August 2007, 22:44
If this interests you.. let me know where you are and I should be able to get a few interested people in contact.

Thanks for that, but it's only a few birds and no rabbits at all. We have Rotherham Ratting Club, or whatever they're called, if we need them for anything anyway. I met them when my dog grabbed one of their best ratting terriers and tried eating it :p : They don't take offense, bless them.

LeonBrooke
28th August 2007, 23:03
A bit of a tangent:

When my aunt and her husband were applying for a gun licence they had to be interviewed by a police officer, and while he was inside their son let all the air out of the police car's tyres. No idea why, but it was a stupid idea...

needless to say, this cousin of mine and I have very little in common :dozey:

Hazell B
28th August 2007, 23:08
Know I shouldn't laugh, but .... that's damned funny :laugh:

Drew
28th August 2007, 23:15
Isn't Amy Winehouse British? It would probably be easier to make that thread to insult the British.

She is indeed, that's why it'd be more interesting to see.