PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Vehicles

drewdawg727
26th August 2007, 21:34
Is it an unwritten rule that you can repair a vehicle and go back out on the track? I think it's ridiculous that you are able to get back out on the track just to get points. What happened to retiring from a race and actually being retired from the race? I think they should crack down on this because I don't agree with what's going on.

Jimmy Magnusson
26th August 2007, 22:36
Why not? We've got few cars as it is, and I prefer actually seeing them on track.

Jonesi
26th August 2007, 22:38
Is it an unwritten rule that you can repair a vehicle and go back out on the track? I think it's ridiculous that you are able to get back out on the track just to get points. What happened to retiring from a race and actually being retired from the race? I think they should crack down on this because I don't agree with what's going on.

Depends on the race series. Most pro/spectator series want as many cars racing in front of the fans as possible, so they allow repairs in the paddock. Also some repairs are more safely done in the paddock than pit lane so it makes sense to allow them to go to the paddock and come out. It's not allowed in SCCA amateur racing, but it's more of a practical matter that they don't have the official manpower to supervise the repairs there.

geek49203
27th August 2007, 01:34

Modern racing isn't about skill or technology. It's about entertainment.

Modern racing doesn't run on gasoline, methanol, or ethanol. It runs on sponsor money.

I'm not being crass -- I'm stating facts.

Therefore, cars are repaired and put back on the track for the following reasons:

1. Exposure for the sponsor.
2 Championship points
3. Testing
4. Driver experience

I stood in the pits at MIS and watched crews thrash on wounded cars, trying to get them out for a few more laps to pick up (potentially) 6 spots. It was kinda cool watching AJ IV drive out w/ a huge tire mark on the car's nose and his helmet. It was great watching Ganassi duct tape Dixon's car for another lap or two. In fact, I'd say that the MIS IRL race was the best NASCAR race of the year (ducking).

Phoenixent
27th August 2007, 02:19
It was great watching Ganassi duct tape Dixon's car for another lap or two. In fact, I'd say that the MIS IRL race was the best NASCAR race of the year (ducking).

By doing the repairs at MIS to move the car ahead of Franchitti and great finishes in other races Dixion is leading the points now by 5.

Job well done by Ganassi Racing. :up:

Mark in Oshawa
28th August 2007, 22:23
Never give up when they pay points right down through the field....

call_me_andrew
28th August 2007, 23:55
I don't see what the problem is. I've seen F1 races where the car is rolled into the garage mid race, the team makes repairs/adjustments and the driver returns to the track. At that point, they're just treating it like a free test session.

cobre
31st August 2007, 18:34
I don't see any problem; fans pay to see cars racing , not sitting in the garage retired. what's the problem ?

luvracin
31st August 2007, 19:02
I'm not aware of any series that doesn't allow it. It really comes down to a) if the car is safe, and b) if the team believes they can gain something from doing so.

MarcoCheever
31st August 2007, 20:39
I think there is a limit to what you can do and not do

for example you can't add oil I think or maybe that's just and Indy 500 thing

heck it's a Friday before a holiday weekend and there's a ton of racing this weekend

cheers to all !

Jonesi
31st August 2007, 22:40
I think there is a limit to what you can do and not do

for example you can't add oil I think or maybe that's just and Indy 500 thing

heck it's a Friday before a holiday weekend and there's a ton of racing this weekend

cheers to all !

I think most series have a rule about adding oil. The thinking being that even if you are burning it, some of it is still ending up on the track making a dangerous condition for all the cars.

gm99
1st September 2007, 01:10
I'm not aware of any series that doesn't allow it. It really comes down to a) if the car is safe, and b) if the team believes they can gain something from doing so.

Well, there is a difference between allowing it (which as you pointed out most series do) and being allowed to score championship points. In F1, for instance, you have to complete 90% of the race winner's distance in order to be eligible to score points.

codalunga
3rd September 2007, 03:30

The race isn't over until the checkered flag is waved.

ZzZzZz
3rd September 2007, 06:56
A car returning from repairs in the pit or paddock is subject to approval from a pit marshall. If the car is then displaying something unsafe, race control can order it back in. It is part of course marshalls' jobs to look for and report leaking fluids, loose wings, etc. and, of course, the speed will be monitored.

Job well done!

jso1985
5th September 2007, 00:07
in F1 you can only make repairs and return if the car gets to the pits withtout any help. actually I only remember one ocassion where it actually happened(Sato at the Canadian GP 2005)

I honestly find rather silly that a smashed car who clearly couldn't get to the pits or anywhere else without a crane returns to the race 50 laps later

geek49203
5th September 2007, 00:46
i
I honestly find rather silly that a smashed car who clearly couldn't get to the pits or anywhere else without a crane returns to the race 50 laps later

You don't understand the nature of modern auto racing.

Quiz time --

A modern race car runs on:

1. Benzine
2. Ethanol
3. Methanol
4. Sponsor Dollars

If you chose #4, then you really do understand modern auto racing! I suspect, however, that you didn't chose #4, which explains your lack of understanding on why a car, covered in sponsor logos, returns to a track to run a race in front of thousands of people in the stands as well as millions watching TV.

LTalbot
5th September 2007, 01:43
I have yet to be at any race where a disabled car, repaired either in the pits or in the garage was not greeted by cheering fans when it returned to the track. The exception of course would be Jeff Gordon in any race outside of California. The NASCAR Hillbillies hate him so.

Jonesi
5th September 2007, 03:57
I have yet to be at any race where a disabled car, repaired either in the pits or in the garage was not greeted by cheering fans when it returned to the track. The exception of course would be Jeff Gordon in any race outside of California. The NASCAR Hillbillies hate him so.

You left out Indiana, he's well liked there too.

nigelred5
6th September 2007, 04:17
Well, there is a difference between allowing it (which as you pointed out most series do) and being allowed to score championship points. In F1, for instance, you have to complete 90% of the race winner's distance in order to be eligible to score points.
True, but points are awarded much differently in F1. Most American series award participation and consistency over pure race wins. Honestly, why do teams like STR, super Aguri and Spyker even show up, only to park their cars at the first off track excursion or minor damage to the car?

Fans pay to see cars ON TRACK, not in the garage. Also, why should a championship contenders entire season be ruined because some bonehead back marker ran the contender off track. Should he loose all points or be allowed back into the race and salvage a few points and keep an otherwise championship caliber season alive?

Think about the F1 seasons ruined at the first turn of a race or by their prime competetor simply running the challenger off track. If it was possible for Senna and Prost to regain the race after an incident, how would those seasons have turned out? Even F1 will red flag a race and allow car repairs or a T car in the event of a major incident. Think how many times that has actually happened. Keep cars on the track as long as they are safe!

call_me_andrew
6th September 2007, 06:58
Honestly, why do teams like STR, super Aguri and Spyker even show up, only to park their cars at the first off track excursion or minor damage to the car?

I think the Concorde Agreement obligates them to show up at every race.