PDA

View Full Version : Alonso expected something more from McLaren

ioan
26th August 2007, 15:38
"That is always very clear in any team, you know, to have equal opportunities to everybody and to have an equal car to your teammate," Alonso said on BBC Radio. "What I think sometimes, and what I asked the team, is that I gave the team a lot.

"When I arrived in December, I remember the car I drove; I remember the results they had in 2006. And now, you know, I brought to the team half a second, six tenths, whatever, and I don't see anything giving me back.

"So that's the only thing."

Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61742

He is paid a lot to do his job, so it isn't about money.
What is it about than?
I dare suppose that he isn't happy being treated as the 2nd driver in the team.

ArrowsFA1
26th August 2007, 16:06
It seems quite obvious that Alonso did not expect a rookie to be giving him such a hard time. In fact when he signed for McLaren Fernando might have expected to have been racing alongside Kimi or JPM, but regardless of who his team-mate was going to be McLaren were always going to treat their two drivers equally.

Alonso isn't being treated as the 2nd driver in the team. That's a simplistic explanation. It's hard to emphasise this enough but no-one expected Hamilton to do as well as he is doing. Racing drivers have huge confidence in their own ability, and not a little ego, and being beaten by your team-mate is the worst thing that can happen to a driver. If it happens there must be a reason, and of course it's not because your team-mate is simply doing a better job, so it must be something else.

rohanweb
26th August 2007, 16:17
Alonso is an idiot, who publicly speaking about McLaren to treat him with a faster car also lookafter him extra and make Hamilton's car a slow one so he stays ahead of him.. what a joker.. he keep saying he has brought 6/10 of a second speed to the team single handedly and the 999 people who works at mclaren lookslike doing nothing.. I wonder what are the mechanics and all the engineers think of him now? ..well if he has done that what on earth he cant go faster than Hamilton..? we all know if he push toomuch he goes off the track.

worse still... if Alonso is a 'developer' of the car who improves the car and Hamilton drives the car faster than him, then obviously Alonso to switch his job as a Race engineer for LH.. that would be great!

anyhow badluck for Hamilton today, but still he was leading Alonso all the way untill his tyre problem, so I dont think Alonso will be the real threat to Hamiltons championship at all, but the ferrari's are.

Ron said they going to be faster in Monza.. lets see if thats the case in 2 weeks time!

ioan
26th August 2007, 16:27
Ron said they going to be faster in Monza.. lets see if thats the case in 2 weeks time!

Ofcourse they are going to be faster in Monza, the track is the fastest in F1. It does not mean though that they will be faster than the Ferrari's! :D

jens
26th August 2007, 16:57
One thing I'm wondering about. Is Hamilton really driving with 100% Alonso's setup without changing anything? And if so, then is it 100% suitable for Hamilton? I mean if it isn't... then sooner or later Lewis will be experienced enough to find a (more) suitable setup for himself, which would enable him to become even more faster than he is now. And that is something FA should really worry about...

Ian McC
26th August 2007, 17:13
Is Hamilton really driving with 100% Alonso's setup without changing anything?

He was faster in two of the practice sessions and qualifying, he was hardly copying his set up.

Kevincal
26th August 2007, 21:31
Alonso is an idiot, who publicly speaking about McLaren to treat him with a faster car also lookafter him extra and make Hamilton's car a slow one so he stays ahead of him.. what a joker.. he keep saying he has brought 6/10 of a second speed to the team single handedly and the 999 people who works at mclaren lookslike doing nothing.. I wonder what are the mechanics and all the engineers think of him now? ..well if he has done that what on earth he cant go faster than Hamilton..? we all know if he push toomuch he goes off the track.

worse still... if Alonso is a 'developer' of the car who improves the car and Hamilton drives the car faster than him, then obviously Alonso to switch his job as a Race engineer for LH.. that would be great!

anyhow badluck for Hamilton today, but still he was leading Alonso all the way untill his tyre problem, so I dont think Alonso will be the real threat to Hamiltons championship at all, but the ferrari's are.

Hmm, so let's look at Renault and McLaren of ONE YEAR AGO...Renault kicking ass and McLaren spinning in the grass... ;) You really think Alonso hasn't had a significant impact on McLaren's performance in 2007? ;) I can't wait to see people's reaction when he wins his 3rd championship in a row this year. ;) It could very easily happen. :)

tinchote
26th August 2007, 21:36
Hmm, so let's look at Renault and McLaren of ONE YEAR AGO...Renault kicking ass and McLaren spinning in the grass... ;) You really think Alonso hasn't had a significant impact on McLaren's performance in 2007? ;) I can't wait to see people's reaction when he wins his 3rd championship in a row this year. ;) It could very easily happen. :)

Do you seriously think that McLaren would be behind BMW if it not were for Alonso? :eek:

Personally, I can't believe that for a second. McLaren has built many quick cars in the last few years, with its main problem being reliability. They have a capable team. And, besides, what Alonso is saying is - as usual, unfortunately - high level BS: he talks about the car he drove in december (that is, last year's car) and he attributes to himself that the new car (which was completely designed by december) is quick because of him?

Kevincal
26th August 2007, 22:03
Do you seriously think that McLaren would be behind BMW if it not were for Alonso? :eek:

Personally, I can't believe that for a second. McLaren has built many quick cars in the last few years, with its main problem being reliability. They have a capable team. And, besides, what Alonso is saying is - as usual, unfortunately - high level BS: he talks about the car he drove in december (that is, last year's car) and he attributes to himself that the new car (which was completely designed by december) is quick because of him?

I didn't say that now did I? ;) Sure McLaren's uber facility coming around has a bit to do with the jump in performance this year, but I'm sure Alonso has had a more significant impact than anything... And people wonder why he's unhappy with his treatment at McLewis (McLaren ;D)

Rollo
27th August 2007, 01:00
Hmm, so let's look at Renault and McLaren of ONE YEAR AGO...Renault kicking ass and McLaren spinning in the grass... ;) You really think Alonso hasn't had a significant impact on McLaren's performance in 2007? ;)

If you believe the consensus of people on this forum, Alonso's input is irrelevant.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119786&highlight=driver+development

Clearly not :D

tinchote
27th August 2007, 01:20
I didn't say that now did I? ;) Sure McLaren's uber facility coming around has a bit to do with the jump in performance this year, but I'm sure Alonso has had a more significant impact than anything... And people wonder why he's unhappy with his treatment at McLewis (McLaren ;D)

Why are you sure of that? :confused: We are talking about a team having maybe 1000 employees, a huge design team, and three other drivers. As I said, the car was designed several months before Alonso joined the team. Maybe his input has been really valuable in the development of the car; but I struggle to see how you get to know that.

leopard
27th August 2007, 04:04
His existence at McLaren is valuable to let you know that it has no poor reliability, and resembles an evidence he is positive being there.

Do you seriously think that McLaren would be behind BMW if it not were for Alonso?
I think the opposite that BMW may have a chance to be in front of McLaren if only Alonso was there (BMW), although it wouldn't be such easy considering he is not a germany as a string attached to gain full support from BMW ;)

truefan72
27th August 2007, 08:40
Alonso does a wonderful job of digging his own hole without anybody pushing him in there. And without anyone on this forum having to do anything but simply respond to his ever more outlandish comments.

Tinchote, I agree 100% with your comments.
I would really like to know then what LH has brough to the team, perhaps 7tenths of a second based on Alonso's criteria.

just get on with the racing Alonso

btw. The speed TV guys ( especially Steve M) tried to explain the comments away as a language issue, stating that FA's comments are taken out of context based on the fact that english isn't his first language. We all know that that's just fine BS. Besided some of his most egrecious comments were made to the spanish media

Hendersen
27th August 2007, 09:25
Never cared much for FA's attitude, but he's definitely being screwed over by the Mclaren tard team so don't mind what he says about the situation.

Hendersen
27th August 2007, 10:11
That was highly uncalled for janneppi, not to mention downright rude.

Priorat
27th August 2007, 15:26
This season it shows the true capability of Alonso, that is being fourth. He won 2 WDC just because he had the best car, team and tyre manufacturer working only for him. We haven't seen any of those electric starts and it's because it was the car that promoted them and not his abilities.

fandango
28th August 2007, 09:30
I'm a fan of Alonso, his driving, not his mouth. If he really did say what's attributed to him in that article there's only one answer: "so what?"

I mean, if he brought so much speed to the team and the team wins the championship with Hamilton, well that's just tough. As Frank Williams said (in another context) last week, it's Formula 1, it's not meant to be easy.

The stuff that the commentators on Spain's Telecinco come out with is amazing, saying that Alonso should be favoured because he has a 1 on his car and that he's won two championships. They keep going on about how wrong Ron Dennis is not to have a clear first and second driver. I don't think Ron Dennis has any opinions on their programming, though ;)

Flat.tyres
28th August 2007, 09:53
I would say that Ron is pulling his hair out with Freddy but it's too late for that :)

a lot of work was done over the weekend to get things moving together and everyone pulling in the same direction but Alonso just doesn't get the programe.

everyone at McLaren knows him for what he is but it doesnt do him any favours when he disrespects everyone thats trying so hard to give him the machinary he needs to do the job.

lets not forget that McLaren could have won the championship last year if they had a car that got to the end of the race. the team has worked day and night to change that around and get the reliability and I think the results speak for themselves. McLaren is the only team that has finished all GP's this year.

Hamilton and Alonso have equal machinary and an equal chance of winning. If Freddy dont like that, then tough sh*t but its about time he let his driving do the talking and not his attitude.

jas123f1
28th August 2007, 11:37
Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61742

He is paid a lot to do his job, so it isn't about money.
What is it about than?
I dare suppose that he isn't happy being treated as the 2nd driver in the team.

Maybe two those good drivers in the same team are not that good solution, because only one of them can be a WC.

I think also that Hamilton is Ron’s "kid" and nothing can chance that and Alonso feels that.. Alonso is however “in practice” saying that without him Hamilton shouldn't have any chance to be WC 2007 and that he of some reasons don’t like it at all.

Maybe he feels also that he is working very hard to the team and for him shelf but a rookie is there more or less picking the fruits of his work – ok he maybe is the best rookie in the world – but anyway it’s very difficult for him to accept.

And next year will probably be even tougher .. because Hamilton is not a rookie any more. Therefore Alonso maybe doesn’t want work for McLaren and Hamilton (as he feels he do) and help them to be a Champions - especially if Hamilton wins already 2007.. how much money they can pay to him to do that ..

Rumours tells also that Ron has already said that he is free to leave McLaren if he like to do it.. and I think Renault is an alternative especially now when it's going better for them again .. :)

Priorat
28th August 2007, 11:46
So, if Alonso thinks he should be favoured for he tittle because of his work, then is de la Rosa who should be racing and fighting the title because no other driver has worked more than him in the McLaren.

jas123f1
28th August 2007, 12:04
So, if Alonso thinks he should be favoured for he tittle because of his work, then is de la Rosa who should be racing and fighting the title because no other driver has worked more than him in the McLaren.

When speking about de la Rosa even if he is a good driver and car developer i don't think he has capabilities to be WC in any car.

I'm not either saying if Alonso do rigth thing or think rigth way or not - only what i believe is the reason to what he is saying and possible doing .. :)

DonnieDarco
29th August 2007, 01:14
Here's what Brundle had to say about Alonso's remarks:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/29/smblun129.xml

leopard
29th August 2007, 05:19
While the biggest responsibility of the whole performance of the car lies on the engineer the result of which reflects their job, as far as possible with sharpness of instinct from their experience driver is supposed to feed up the team how to develop the good car; I would agree that roles of an experienced driver is more strategical policy applied in every single race and also the whole season.
The titles holder must be a person who with his sixth sense have ability to look everything far forward.

Those input on the critical strategy unluckily and unavoidably will also benefit the teammate as usually team implements it for their two drivers. This is rather difficult to make a clean measure how good actually the quality as a package of Hamilton is since there has been implemented for him strategy with Alonso's thought for his existence there. Considering they drive the same quality of car Hamilton maybe right he is quicker than Alonso, but for package it is difference case.

Some jealousness may logically arise from that condition unclear where the team put Alonso, and Hamilton position with his status shall naturally gain bigger attention paid for his career and future.

It wasn't a surprise Alonso to expect something more.

wmcot
29th August 2007, 06:00
Fernando would do well to remember that IF in 2005 and 2006 there had been only slightly better reliability at critical moments from McLaren and Ferrari, he would be a 0 time WDC right now! Just because you won one or two or seven WDC's doesn't mean that you are guaranteed another one.

I would bet there is quite a bit of whispered bad-mouthing of FA and his attitude by those who build and maintain his ride!

Flat.tyres
29th August 2007, 12:48
Fernando would do well to remember that IF in 2005 and 2006 there had been only slightly better reliability at critical moments from McLaren and Ferrari, he would be a 0 time WDC right now! Just because you won one or two or seven WDC's doesn't mean that you are guaranteed another one.

I would bet there is quite a bit of whispered bad-mouthing of FA and his attitude by those who build and maintain his ride!

You're correct. It's not helping with this destructive bitching that's coming out. Freddy should get on with the job as Martin says and prove himself against his team mate and the Ferrari.

Garry Walker
29th August 2007, 13:06
You're correct. It's not helping with this destructive bitching that's coming out. Freddy should get on with the job as Martin says and prove himself against his team mate and the Ferrari.

Word.
Alonso is only hurting his own reputation