PDA

View Full Version : Why

allycat228
26th August 2007, 02:15
why is it when loeb wins a rally he is all over the paper's but when gronholm wins nothing is said about it?

Sorry if i am wrong , but i have had a couple of drinks tonight

A.F.F.
26th August 2007, 05:52
Where are you from allycat ?

J.Lindstroem
26th August 2007, 07:36
He's from Mars.

Josti
26th August 2007, 08:06
Why is it that there's not even anything about Rally in our papers.

Daniel
26th August 2007, 10:45
Who reads the paper to get day old stories? :mark:

WRCfan
26th August 2007, 11:50
Why is there lawn bowls and tennis on before any WRC coverage on NZ TV screens not to mention that crappy sport called Rugby Union!!!

Livewireshock
26th August 2007, 12:34
Why is there lawn bowls and tennis on before any WRC coverage on NZ TV screens not to mention that crappy sport called Rugby Union!!!

You mean in between shows about dog trials!!!

WRCfan
26th August 2007, 12:41
You mean in between shows about dog trials!!!

Very true my friend!! Pathetic TV in this country. Decorating your house TV shows are prime time here. sooo sad...

sollitt
26th August 2007, 12:50
Why is there lawn bowls and tennis on before any WRC coverage on NZ TV screens

Assuming that you're referring to 'free to air' television, I doubt that this is true. If it is, it'll be because those sports have paid for the television time. That's how it works in New Zealand.
That's why we get 3 hours of motorsport every Sunday afternoon. It's paid for by the sport and it's sponsors.

not to mention that crappy sport called Rugby Union!!! That "crappy sport" just happens to be our national game and one of which the overwhelming majority of New Zealanders are big fans and very proud of our achievements in it.
That's why it gets TV time

Bazza2541
26th August 2007, 13:10
Why does Irish TV show the WRC event at 2am on the tuesday after the rally?

N
26th August 2007, 13:52
In NZ, TV3 had the rights to the WRC and they would show it straight away with a 1 hour review the weekend after. But then Sky bought the rights for WRC and TV3 wasn't showing it anymore cause they didn't have the rights. If I'm not mistaken, now you get WRC on Prime, but it's a week later and yes, I agree, I remember waiting for the WRC to start on sunday afternoon, typically, the NPC was on before the WRC followed by something like Tux wonderdog trials or jetboating.

At least over here in Europe you get WRC for free on EuroSport.

Josti
26th August 2007, 14:06

Woepieee...

Daniel
26th August 2007, 14:09
Assuming that you're referring to 'free to air' television, I doubt that this is true. If it is, it'll be because those sports have paid for the television time. That's how it works in New Zealand.
That's why we get 3 hours of motorsport every Sunday afternoon. It's paid for by the sport and it's sponsors.

That "crappy sport" just happens to be our national game and one of which the overwhelming majority of New Zealanders are big fans and very proud of our achievements in it.
Exactly :) WRC is a minority sport compared to a lot of other sports and people should understand that because of this it will come 2nd or 3rd or 4th when TV channels decide when to screen stuff and how much money to put in ;)

A.F.F.
26th August 2007, 14:28
That "crappy sport" just happens to be our national game and one of which the overwhelming majority of New Zealanders are big fans and very proud of our achievements in it.

Our national game is pesäpallo, a sort of baseball, which I guess some people are proud of. Personally, I think it's a ****ing stupid form of sport. Like Tour de france and horsepack riding.

Koz
26th August 2007, 20:23
Our national game is pesäpallo, a sort of baseball, which I guess some people are proud of. Personally, I think it's a ****ing stupid form of sport. Like Tour de france and horsepack riding.

And unfortunately some [probobly majority] people feel the same way about rallying.
Majority of people know about rugby, tour de france, horse riding :P or whatever and they know little (or nothing) about rallying. Majority wants to see crap, and I guess they see it.
People like V8s races in NZ and there is a huge ford/holden following here, just wish it (atleast) equal for us. :(

J4MIE
26th August 2007, 22:14

Well, here in Europe you have to pay to receive Eurosport. Hence I watch it on ITV4 and curse that it isn't repeated. If I am out at an event on a Sundy of a WRC weekend then I don't see the coverage.

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 02:21

That crappy sport is a overkill. I presume you live in NZ and have seen the TV guides. If there is not normal programming on then 80% of any sport shown is rugby. This my friend is an overkill. Sky sport channel 1,2, and 3 are 70% screening rugby....now tell me they cannot find something else to play. No one wants to watch 2 highschools from the middle of nowhere play rugby live on TV. I hate to break it to you but our country has a weird little kinky fetish with rugby. The finn's dont dedicate 80% of sport airtime to rally despite being the Godfathers of the sport...

With the WRC only 1 week away there has been literally nothing even advertising it is in New Zealand.

Nothing on TV (bar the motorsport show saying it is on), nothing in newspapers, no mention on radio, if I didnt know it was on myself, I wouldn't know at all.

WRC is being overshadowed by NPC rugby, and that my friend is very poor....

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 02:24
That crappy sport is a overkill. I presume you live in NZ and have seen the TV guides. If there is not normal programming on then 80% of any sport shown is rugby. This my friend is an overkill. Sky sport channel 1,2, and 3 are 70% screening rugby....now tell me they cannot find something else to play. No one wants to watch 2 highschools from the middle of nowhere play rugby live on TV. I hate to break it to you but our country has a weird little kinky fetish with rugby. The finn's dont dedicate 80% of sport airtime to rally despite being the Godfathers of the sport...

With the WRC only 1 week away there has been literally nothing even advertising it is in New Zealand.

Nothing on TV (bar the motorsport show saying it is on), nothing in newspapers, no mention on radio, if I didnt know it was on myself, I wouldn't know at all.

WRC and every other sporting event that comes to NZ is being overshadowed by NPC, low level rugby, and that my friend is very poor....

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 02:30

That crappy sport is a overkill. I presume you live in NZ and have seen the TV guides. If there is not normal programming on then 80% of any sport shown is rugby. This my friend is an overkill. Sky sport channel 1,2, and 3 are 70% screening rugby....now tell me they cannot find something else to play. No one wants to watch 2 highschools from the middle of nowhere play rugby live on TV. I hate to break it to you but our country has a weird little kinky fetish with rugby. The Finn's dont dedicate 80% of sport airtime to rally despite being the Godfathers of the sport...

In less than one week an international motorsport event is being run in New Zealand. You would expect it would be given a little bit of promotion and mention, but we are too busy talking about and showing "grassroots" low level rugby through our media, and this my friend is VERY poor indeed!

sollitt
27th August 2007, 04:08
That crappy sport is a overkill. I presume you live in NZ and have seen the TV guides. If there is not normal programming on then 80% of any sport shown is rugby. This my friend is an overkill. Sky sport channel 1,2, and 3 are 70% screening rugby....now tell me they cannot find something else to play. No one wants to watch 2 highschools from the middle of nowhere play rugby live on TV. I hate to break it to you but our country has a weird little kinky fetish with rugby. The Finn's dont dedicate 80% of sport airtime to rally despite being the Godfathers of the sport...

You, "my friend" are the Godfather of exaggeration!

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 04:17
Im quite happy to take a photo of the Skywatch TV schedule and show you what you obviously cannot see!

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 04:27
Im quite happy to take a photo of the Skywatch TV schedule and show you what you obviously cannot see!

Here we go:
7am - Golf
9am - PREMIER RUGBY LEAGUE PREVIEW
9:30 - RUGBY LEAGUE (REPLAY)
11:30 - RUGBY WORLD CUP FRIELDLIES
1:30 - speedweek
2:30 - cricket
4:00 - RUGBY LEAGUE
7:00(pm) - RUGBY LEAGUE - LIVE
9:30 - RUGBY LEAGUE NRL
11:30 - Soccer
1:40 - soccer

sollitt
27th August 2007, 04:40
Hmmm, don't see a lot of Rugby Union there!

I'm not much concerned about what appears on Sky TV. It's a commercial operation to which I do not subscribe.
I do, however, imagine that the people responsible for the profitability of that company know their target market and what they want.
At the end of the day if you don't like what you are seeing why do you keep paying for it?

With regard to the 'free to air' TV stations motorsport generally gets a good share of TV time. That's because the sport raises the money and pays the TV stations to broadcast it.
We've had to do this for many years now.
We don't see WRC coverage because we'd have to pay Mr Richards for the rights/footage and then pay the TV station to screen it - and we don't have that much money.

Perhaps if you stopped paying SKY TV to screen sport you don't like and gave that money to MNZ instead we might be able to afford the coverage.
Of course you'd need to have a whip round the other 4,264,994 NZ'ers to get enough .... hopefully you can catch them before they bugger off to watch the rugby.

leopard
27th August 2007, 07:59
He's from Mars.
we had Mars' spectacular ahead of its schedule :laugh:

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 15:24
Hmmm, don't see a lot of Rugby Union there!

I'm not much concerned about what appears on Sky TV. It's a commercial operation to which I do not subscribe.
I do, however, imagine that the people responsible for the profitability of that company know their target market and what they want.
At the end of the day if you don't like what you are seeing why do you keep paying for it?

With regard to the 'free to air' TV stations motorsport generally gets a good share of TV time. That's because the sport raises the money and pays the TV stations to broadcast it.
We've had to do this for many years now.
We don't see WRC coverage because we'd have to pay Mr Richards for the rights/footage and then pay the TV station to screen it - and we don't have that much money.

Perhaps if you stopped paying SKY TV to screen sport you don't like and gave that money to MNZ instead we might be able to afford the coverage.
Of course you'd need to have a whip round the other 4,264,994 NZ'ers to get enough .... hopefully you can catch them before they bugger off to watch the rugby.

Don't pay for it, never have, and never would ;)
Rugby union and rugby league are the same damn thing only your allowed unlimited tackles in one and not the other!!

Moved out of NZ so I don't have to worry about the little short shorts and egg shaped ball fetish we have here. Only return to eat a mince pie and watch the WRC. Not that anyone knows about it, were all too busy drooling over amateur schoolboy rugby games on TV. BOOOOOORING

AndyRAC
27th August 2007, 15:29
To go back to the original question, the reason why WRC is not seen in papers, especially here in UK, is because it's a sport not taken seriously - as there are only 2/3 possible winners in the season. Who is interested in that, anyway here in UK we have Lewis Hamilton who is the greatest driver the world has seen,.....well ITV think so.

WRCfan
27th August 2007, 15:32
Hes got Alonso swinging his handbag thats for sure!

jonkka
27th August 2007, 20:19
Welcome IPTV and real subscriber heaven.

Roy
27th August 2007, 20:48
Even our 'sport newspaper' (AD) don't write about rally of Finland. Nothing, no story even no resultlist! :eek: :s

Television is better, but the station (RTL7) shows WRCrallies after the national rally (I don't like our national rallies and they show not the last but 2 rallies ago.
And the hostman tal about World Championship rallies It is not nice to listen If you know it is Rally. Yeah I know it is a little bit bitter reaction.
Eurosport is for free here. Hey, were are dutch ;)

I think our N class drivers must to be shine in the picture. If that happens. Here will the sport grow.

Josti
27th August 2007, 21:39
Television is better, but the station (RTL7) shows WRCrallies after the national rally (I don't like our national rallies and they show not the last but 2 rallies ago.
And the hostman tal about World Championship rallies It is not nice to listen If you know it is Rally. Yeah I know it is a little bit bitter reaction.
Eurosport is for free here. Hey, were are dutch ;)

It's true that this program makes a priority to national rallying at the moment. There's Eurosport also, and then again, in recent years our championship has become a lot more interesting, so it's pretty logic they show it first. Though I'm not keen on the format of the program, nor the presentation. But it's better than Eurosport, which IMO is utterly cr*p.

I think our N class drivers must to be shine in the picture. If that happens. Here will the sport grow.

A Dutch Group N winner in a WRC event (Germany). What more can you ask?!
People are totally oblivious about this, and I'm afraid F1 will always be in front, let alone other motorsports.

Roy
27th August 2007, 22:43
....A Dutch Group N winner in a WRC event (Germany). What more can you ask?!
People are totally oblivious about this, and I'm afraid F1 will always be in front, let alone other motorsports.

The drivers do a good job, maybe do more PR(? supported by national racing organisation). Nothing against the drivers. But their PR (or/)AND mediacoverage is not good.

Josti
27th August 2007, 23:47
The drivers do a good job, maybe do more PR(? supported by national racing organisation). Nothing against the drivers. But their PR (or/)AND mediacoverage is not good.

Jasper drives for "KNAF Talent First", so it's supported. Weijs Jr. too for that matter.

sollitt
28th August 2007, 03:56
Don't pay for it, never have, and never would .............. Rugby union and rugby league are the same damn thing
I think you've successfully managed to put any creditibility you may have had to rest.

Regardless, like you, I would like to see greater recognition of the WRC in mainstream media.
Unlike you, in attempting to convey my wishes I do not bag every other sport that has gotten it's act together and created a spectacle that the majority of the populace enjoy.
Rugby may be boring to you, but I will bet that when the All Blacks hold the Webb Ellis Cup aloft in a few weeks time nearly all of our 4 million population will be cheering them on - including the countries 1200 rally enthusiasts.

A mistake that is often made in these discussions is that we often overstate the popularity of our sport believing the world at large to be as fanatical about it as we are. It's simply not so.
Much of the world population wouldn't know a rally car even if one ran over them.

Countries like New Zealand, Australia & the USA are big on ball sports and their media will always reflect that.

What does irk me is when another minority sport, like the yachting, get's a lot of media and lays claim to being the biggest thing ever ..... and runs away with all the government funding.

The amount of coverage a sport gets can also be political. For example - a few years ago we took our national championship coverage away from TVNZ, who had done a good job for us, and gave it and the naming rights to rival TV3 because they threw a few pennies our way - in a sponsorship deal.
The result was that long time supporters TVNZ shut up shop and refused to show any rally coverage at all. Not surprising really. Why would they publicise their competitor on their TV station?

I believe that we're still suffering from this fallout and that despite the fact we broadcast the NZRC on TVNZ again today, in what is a commercial arrangement (we pay for it), the door remains shut in regard to any favours for rallying - hense a lack of WRC news items.

Camelopard
28th August 2007, 04:08
Rugby may be boring to you, but I will bet that when the All Blacks hold the Webb Ellis Cup aloft in a few weeks time nearly all of our 4 million population will be cheering them on - including the countries 1200 rally enthusiasts.

Provided they don't 'choke' again. My money will be on Les Blues... I mightn't like their rally cars but they play a good brand of rugby....... :)

Roy
28th August 2007, 07:59
Jasper drives for "KNAF Talent First", so it's supported. Weijs Jr. too for that matter.

I know my English writing is bad, but... what I mean to say: PR must be support by KNAF. As national racing organisation they can do a lot of PR. Wel I know what I speak about, it is my job. Maybe I have to work for them?

In Dutch:
Ik wil dus zeggen dat de KNAF misschien wat meer moet doen aan PR om de resultaten meer naar voren te brengen. Doen ze dat al, dan laat de media wel heel veel liggen. Ik denk dus dat de PR niet goed is, niet goed genoeg voor de motorsportmedia in ons land.

Daniel
1st September 2007, 08:03
Don't pay for it, never have, and never would ;)
Rugby union and rugby league are the same damn thing only your allowed unlimited tackles in one and not the other!!

Moved out of NZ so I don't have to worry about the little short shorts and egg shaped ball fetish we have here. Only return to eat a mince pie and watch the WRC. Not that anyone knows about it, were all too busy drooling over amateur schoolboy rugby games on TV. BOOOOOORING
I'm sorry WRCfan but you're being a bit silly. Imagine you were into rugby and you lived in Finland. I bet you'd be similarly unhappy with their love of ice hockey, rallying, snow sports and a bit of F1 thrown in too. I myself like Rugby Union but dislike League because it tends to be dominated by the meatheads of the world :)

Mikko
1st September 2007, 12:57
Here we go:
7am - Golf
9am - PREMIER RUGBY LEAGUE PREVIEW
9:30 - RUGBY LEAGUE (REPLAY)
11:30 - RUGBY WORLD CUP FRIELDLIES
1:30 - speedweek
2:30 - cricket
4:00 - RUGBY LEAGUE
7:00(pm) - RUGBY LEAGUE - LIVE
9:30 - RUGBY LEAGUE NRL
11:30 - Soccer
1:40 - soccer

MY GOD, I JUST WENT BLIND!!!

Moderators, please ban WRCfan immediately! He's deliberately causing us some serious pain in the eyes...