PDA

View Full Version : Probably the Best Beer in the World

Eki
23rd December 2006, 19:40
I strongly recommend Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout:

http://www.nogne-o.no/

jim mcglinchey
23rd December 2006, 20:26
mmmmm, sounds interesting, where can I get some to try?

Eki
23rd December 2006, 20:39
mmmmm, sounds interesting, where can I get some to try?
Hard to say unless you live in Tampere, Finland.

oily oaf
23rd December 2006, 21:11
Please steer well clear of this powerful concoction.
I had a skinful of Nogne last thursday and woke up in bed with a middle aged reindeer and a sprig of holly up my bottom.
It's the devil's work I tell ye.

Eki
23rd December 2006, 21:15
I had a skinful of Nogne last thursday and woke up in bed with a middle aged reindeer and a sprig of holly up my bottom.
That's good advice. It has 9% alcohol content compared to the 4.2% of Guinness we get here (which is good too).

edv
23rd December 2006, 21:58
If it's not Belgian, it's crap.
And only 9% you say? Pity.

Just joking. I love sampling great beers from great places as often as possible!

lumikello
23rd December 2006, 23:23

Middle aged reindeer? Sprig of holly? It`s the Bishop of Southwark I tell you..... It`s what he does. :-)

Valve Bounce
24th December 2006, 09:25
Best beer I ever had came in a bottle labelled Moet et Chandon. Even the bubbles tasted great. :p :

oily oaf
24th December 2006, 11:50
Middle aged reindeer? Sprig of holly? It`s the Bishop of Southwark I tell you..... It`s what he does. :-)

Bish on the pish.
Now there's a clergyman who really knows how to lead his flock by example ;)

RaikkonenRules
25th December 2006, 03:08
Probably? Not good enough, sorry no sell :p :

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 00:05
Eki, you have a thread that you and I CAN agree on!!! I wish I could try this beer you are speaking of, but hey, you like Guinness, so there is something we DO agree on!!!!

millencolin
11th January 2007, 07:24
it looks interesting, i wouldnt mind giving it a go, but i still think Coopers Pale Ale is probably the best beer in the world

Storm
11th January 2007, 08:24
tough to get any decent beers from around the world here :(

janneppi
11th January 2007, 09:39
Where in Tampere, i doubt the Alko in Hervanta has such a wonder liquid? :)

Eki
11th January 2007, 13:07
Alko in Sammonkadun Prisma.

janneppi
11th January 2007, 13:40
Ok, never mind then. :)

ioan
11th January 2007, 13:43
Best beer I ever had came in a bottle labelled Moet et Chandon. Even the bubbles tasted great. :p :

And exactly how many other you had before that one?! :p :

agwiii
11th January 2007, 22:03
Whether you're a fan of ale or beer, Sam Adams takes all of the prizes. If you're a fan of the dark brews, there is a reason Guinness has been around a very long time.

:beer:

agwiii
11th January 2007, 22:06

VB - was that a rather pale "beer", and did the cork have a special means of securing it to the bottle? :)

A.F.F.
11th January 2007, 22:06
Ok, never mind then. :)

What was that suppose to mean?

Unless you're really location orientated or then one needs a military passport to cross the line form Hervanta to Tampere. Which one is it?

viper_man
11th January 2007, 22:52
Best real beer? Come to Lincolnshire and try Batemans XB

odykas
12th January 2007, 09:55

You get Kingfisher and Kings! :eek:

Storm
12th January 2007, 10:56
Aye but no Tuborgs or Labatts ...for that matter no Marathon Beer :p :

pino
12th January 2007, 11:04
Both Gold Tuborg and the Tuborg Sne-Øl (snow-beer, made expecially for xmas) are the best in the World ! :up: :lips:

Janne
12th January 2007, 17:23

Have I missed something ?

agwiii
12th January 2007, 18:19
Both Gold Tuborg and the Tuborg Sne-Øl (snow-beer, made expecially for xmas) are the best in the World ! :up: :lips:

The Tuborgs are good. In fact, there are many good ales and beers, but the best is still Sam Adams.

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 18:30
Sam Adams is tasty, but I wont declare a best beer until I have drank them all....might take me a while...

agwiii
12th January 2007, 18:47
Sam Adams is tasty, but I wont declare a best beer until I have drank them all....might take me a while...

Fair enough, Mark! There is no time like the present to begin our taste testing!

janneppi
12th January 2007, 19:26
As i suspected, only O-logoed beer was a christmas version of it, left it on the shelf.
Had to settle for Pilsner Urquell.

I tried a Sam Adams Boston ale few months ago, to be honest it didn't strike me as anything special. Then again, i'm more of a Newcastle Brown Ale man these days.

agwiii
12th January 2007, 19:28
I tried a Sam Adams Boston ale few months ago, to be honest it didn't strike me as anything special. Then again, i'm more of a Newcastle Brown Ale man these days.

janneppi - which Sam Adams did you drink? There are a number of varieties -- see http://www.samaddams.com There are also some great seasonal varieties, but the distribution is limited. Why don't you join Mark and me in our taste testing?

janneppi
12th January 2007, 19:28
What was that suppose to mean?

Unless you're really location orientated or then one needs a military passport to cross the line form Hervanta to Tampere. Which one is it?
It's a bit of a stretch to ride a bus for 20 minutes just to buy some beer. :)

janneppi - which Sam Adams did you drink? There are a number of varieties -- see http://www.samaddams.com There are also some great seasonal varieties, but the distribution is limited. Why don't you join Mark and me in our taste testing?

As i said, it was Sam Adams Boston Ale. (can't remeber anything more about it)

agwiii
12th January 2007, 19:42
As i said, it was Sam Adams Boston Ale. (can't remeber anything more about it)

So, are you joining us?

janneppi
12th January 2007, 19:48
No thanks, i prefer my beers to be familliar to me. :)

A.F.F.
12th January 2007, 20:02
It's a bit of a stretch to ride a bus for 20 minutes just to buy some beer. :)

I've done longer journeys for a beer :D

schmenke
12th January 2007, 20:28
Tuborg is excellent, but damned expensive around here :(

Must try some of that Sam Adams...

A.F.F.
12th January 2007, 20:45
Tennent's Velvet has been the best beer I've ever tasted.

Too bad J4MIE didn't bring it last year :(

luvracin
12th January 2007, 21:02
If any of you guys are ever in Michigan you should go to Kalamazoo and visit Bells.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/

Lots of varieties, and always great(and strong) beer.

I always have a keg of Bells in my Kegerator.

schmenke
12th January 2007, 21:03
Anybody here brew their own?

Okeefe
12th January 2007, 21:26
Anybody here brew their own?

I make a beverage from dandelions, but I call it tonic! It must be good for fuel too because it sure drives my kids nuts when the house smells when its brewing!

Best beer - O'Keefe in a very chilled mug so it forms wee little ice chips that melt on your lips. PS please drink responsibly.

schmenke
12th January 2007, 22:29
...Best beer - O'Keefe in a very chilled mug so it forms wee little ice chips that melt on your lips. PS please drink responsibly.

Where the heck do you reside that you're able to buy Okeefe? I haven't seen that beer for ages...

Okeefe
12th January 2007, 22:36
Ontario and Quebec. I stored a few away. We could buy it in Ontario (24 only) up until about I'd say 7 or 8 years ago. But yes, now when I'm in a bar I have to drink OV....it works if the glass is cold enough though.
In Quebec, I just seem unable to develop a taste for Laurentide....

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 23:08
Tuborg is excellent, but damned expensive around here :(

Must try some of that Sam Adams...

Schmenke, Sam Adams is to put not too fine a point on it, the best American beer. That by itself would be damning by faint praise, but alas, Adams would hold up anywhere.

That said, Tuborg is excellent, I always liked Becks and St. Pauli Girl, I am a fan of Pilsner Urquell and Stella Artois.

There are just too damn many beers to try and sample ...and as I told Agwiii I dont declare a winner until I have tried them all!

Just remember though, people are as nationalistic about their beers as they are about their women, their cars and how they feel about cold pizza on a hangover!!! You cant win no matter what, so declare no winner and just keep on drinking.

Actually, if you must push me to declare my favourite beer when I go out for a pint, it is Guinness or for an every day beer Canadian style, I always like an Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. There....now someone pour me a cold one, it has been a b#$%h of a day!!!!!!

schmenke
13th January 2007, 00:05
I'm not too fond of Becks (I find it has a distinctly unpleasant after-taste).
Stella, on the other hand, has been much-consumed in the schmenke household of late :D

A cold Keith's on a hot day :up: Definately one of the better Canuck ales.

Guinness is o.k. in moderation, but I prefer either Kilkeny or Smithwicks :up:

Gawd, I'm thristy now... :(

agwiii
14th January 2007, 12:45
Schmenke, Sam Adams is to put not too fine a point on it, the best American beer. That by itself would be damning by faint praise, but alas, Adams would hold up anywhere.

That said, Tuborg is excellent, I always liked Becks and St. Pauli Girl, I am a fan of Pilsner Urquell and Stella Artois.

There are just too damn many beers to try and sample ...and as I told Agwiii I dont declare a winner until I have tried them all!

Just remember though, people are as nationalistic about their beers as they are about their women, their cars and how they feel about cold pizza on a hangover!!! You cant win no matter what, so declare no winner and just keep on drinking.

Actually, if you must push me to declare my favourite beer when I go out for a pint, it is Guinness or for an every day beer Canadian style, I always like an Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. There....now someone pour me a cold one, it has been a b#$%h of a day!!!!!!

Then, of course we must express our preference for what is on tap, rather than coming in bottles, or even worse, a can.

Eki
10th February 2007, 20:59
Today I've been mostly drinking Scottish ale named Belhaven Wee Heavy. I'm a bit disappointed since I've weed about the same as after any other beer.

edv
10th February 2007, 21:36
"Mabel, another Black Label..."

Speaking of travelling for beer, I just came back from Brussels (11-hour flight)..a visit strictly designed for enjoying beer.

Some of my samplings on this trip:
Straffe Hendrik Brun
Delirium Nocturnum (from tap!)
Satan Red
Binchoise
Every flavour of Leffe and Chimay
Stille Nacht
Westvleteren 12 (on-topic:The best beer in the world)
Rochefort (8 10 and 12!)

As for Sam Adams, I enjoyed some of them, but they are certainly not the best of American beers...in fact, among American beer lovers, Sam Adams does not even break the top 100 US beers.

EuroTroll
10th February 2007, 23:58
Now, the Germans say they have the best beer, and I think there a significant amount of truth in that. The Czechs also claim to have the best beer, and there's also some truth in that. But although I love the German Warsteiner (with kebab ;) ), my heart's with Russian beer - Nevskij and Baltika. ;) :up:

jim mcglinchey
11th February 2007, 00:12
[quote="edv"]"Mabel, another Black Label..."

Straffe Hendrik Brun

Straffe Hendrik, Id forgotten about that one. We were in Bruges about 10 yrs ago and called in at the Staffe Hendrik Brewery / Museum for a few most agreeable snifters. We got chatting to the nice, young antipodean waiter but he wasnt around when we were leaving so we left the payment for the drinks on the table and slowly dandered out with our souvenir glasses (previously bought in the shop) looking at some of the beer related exhibits. Five minutes later found us about 200 yards down the street looking in a shop window when up runs the breathless waiter. " You forgot to pay " says he, trying to be as diplomatic as possible. "we left it on the table " I replied. "Oh " says he, and danders back up the hill with his tale between his legs. Stupid git! I often wondered if another customer had pocketed the money by the time he got back.

Camelopard
11th February 2007, 09:16

I was quite partial to to 'Rosy Pelican' when in India in the eighties. I read somewhere that this beer was making a come back. There were a few nasty beers in India though, from memory Harwoods something or other was a shocker.

Storm
12th February 2007, 09:03
cossie, you must mean Haywards 2000/5000 :\

Mark in Oshawa
13th February 2007, 18:40
All this talk about Beer makes a man thirsty

schmenke
13th February 2007, 20:34
"Mabel, another Black Label..."

Speaking of travelling for beer, I just came back from Brussels (11-hour flight)..a visit strictly designed for enjoying beer.....

Geez, edv, I usually just stop in at the Liquor Barn on the way home from the office... :mark:

Camelopard
14th February 2007, 06:37
cossie, you must mean Haywards 2000/5000 :\

Yep, that would have been it!!!! I do enjoy a Kingfisher, even if the stuff bought in Australia is brewed in New Zealand, mind you Steinlager also from NZ is a damn fine beer!

Christina
14th February 2007, 16:57
I've just come home from promoting beer, so i suppose i had better put out the word that Gage Roads IPA is quite a nice beer. indian pale ale.. quite nice.. but the thing i like best about it is their slogan "brewed by fussy b**tards"

Hmm.. but apart from that.. Little Creatures pale ale is divine, as is Bees Knees which has a lovely honey flavour. those are all perth boutique beers though, so i doubt you would find them outside of australia, unless you really looked for them.

Favourite beer of all time? Chimay blue. although i really shouldnt drink it, as it's 9% and i'm a lightweight when it comes to getting drunk.