PDA

View Full Version : Teams unhappy with the McLaren Electronic Systems standard ECU

ioan
25th August 2007, 13:33
As we all know for next year the FIA mandates the use of a standard ECU.
The tender for the production of this standard piece of electronics has been won by McLaren Electronic Systems.
After testing it the teams have found it to be no good, apparently they all had serious problems with it, and one team couldn't even get their engine started using the MES ECU.

We shouldn't forget that this ECU is produced in collaboration with Microsoft!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61758

PS: Let's hope this new piece of McLarenMercedes and Microsoft technology doesn't get transfered on to road cars! :p :

Valve Bounce
25th August 2007, 13:45
The tender for the production of this standard piece of electronics has been won by McLaren Electronic Systems.
After testing it the teams have found it to be no good, apparently they all had serious problems with it, and one team couldn't even get their engine started using the MES ECU.

PS: Let's hope this new piece of McLarenMercedes and Microsoft technology doesn't get transfered on to road cars! :p :

Don't worry, Volvo will come to their rescue. Just you wait!!

aryan
25th August 2007, 18:13
Yeah well, there needed to be a standardised ECU in order to ban TC, and someone had to win the tender, and everyone else is now whinging because everyone now has to make some changes to their engine to make it work with the new ECU.

No news here, next...

luvracin
25th August 2007, 18:59
They just need to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and then download updates..... that is AFTER registering at Microsoft.com of course. :p :

aww c'mon!! Someone had to say it!

Shifter
25th August 2007, 20:11
They just need to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and then download updates..... that is AFTER registering at Microsoft.com of course. :p :

Yeah, the engine would've started eventually if they had waited for the auto-update and the 'on-access scan' to complete. They just need to push the start button an hour before the formation lap.

markabilly
25th August 2007, 22:22

Excuse me, I am very certain it already has and will continue to work very fine on any and all cars piloted by LH...so them ferrari's have an occaisional misfire, probably that white powder.......

RD is already thinking, who needs kool aid when I got the ECU

opps Kimi blows again..gee that kimi is so rough on cars :rotflmao:

Jimmy Magnusson
26th August 2007, 00:07

As John Hindaugh said:

And now we're listening to the incar radio of Michael Schumacher!

*Krshaap* Michael! Control, Alt, Deleate! *Krshaap*

Valve Bounce
26th August 2007, 01:47
To avoid any conflict of interest, all the manufacturers/F1teams should have been excluded from the tender process.

tinchote
26th August 2007, 04:04
To avoid any conflict of interest, all the manufacturers/F1teams should have been excluded from the tender process.

:up:

ClarkFan
26th August 2007, 04:56

But how do you close all the open Windows in a F1 car? :confused:

:p

ClarkFan

wmcot
26th August 2007, 08:44

Agreed 100%, but I suppose it was Max or Bernie that set up the deal. I would think that McLaren would have the advantage of running what is probably a modified version of their current ECU.

Still, with Microsoft as a partner it could make things interesting. I can just see a driver pulling off the course for no apparent reason - the sidenote on the scoring sheet will read "Blue screen of death!" :)

Valve Bounce
26th August 2007, 12:42
The Danish Espionage/Crime Odyssey Emmy winning television series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_(television_series)

Well, Boscoe developed a jammer which could jam electronics on cars, and the Russian Mafia, American Mafia and the CIA are all after the contraption. They switch this thing on, and all the motorcycles and police cars CPU's go kaput, and the baddies escape in an old VW kombi (which doesn't have a CPU engine management system).

Now, if somebody really developed such a jammer, and switched it on when certain cars came past him, then his chosen team (say Spyker, or Torro Rosso, or even Honda) on which he has bet zillions on, would win.

Isn't that a wonderful contraption? :p :

markabilly
26th August 2007, 16:27
The Danish Espionage/Crime Odyssey Emmy winning television series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_(television_series)

Well, Boscoe developed a jammer which could jam electronics on cars, and the Russian Mafia, American Mafia and the CIA are all after the contraption. They switch this thing on, and all the motorcycles and police cars CPU's go kaput, and the baddies escape in an old VW kombi (which doesn't have a CPU engine management system).

Now, if somebody really developed such a jammer, and switched it on when certain cars came past him, then his chosen team (say Spyker, or Torro Rosso, or even Honda) on which he has bet zillions on, would win.

Isn't that a wonderful contraption? :p :

NS is probably thinking: I should have thought of that myself--that stupid white powder probably would not have worked anyway...all it did was just get all over my pants...