PDA

View Full Version : Best season in years

MAX_THRUST
23rd August 2007, 13:05
Sorry if your not enjoying the season anyone, but this has been the best in years, well since the 90's at least. OK the Tv coverage isn't as good as Motors TV the last few years and I really miss being able to watch the whole event and it being repeated all week long on Motors TV.

The racing has been great full fields of cars, I may go and buy the season review DVD this year, for the first time in years. Brands was another great weekend of racing, shame about all the bashed up motors, but good racing.

Can't wait for 2008 season to see if the momentum keeps up. As for Lousie Goodman and that bloke, shes' ok but ditch that mack, and for him get him off the tele I can't stand the man.

Ben Edwards and Tim Harvey are doing good jobs as always. More live coverage would be good. Basically I'm happy, and loving it........

SEATFreak
23rd August 2007, 15:08
I think regardless of how long your interest stretches back to or what your level of all-round BTCC General Knowledge is 2007 HAS been by far and away the best in years.

My interest has only been active since 2001, a pathetically short time in normal terms and no real time to aquaint myself with everything, and quite frankly you will find my IQ somewhere above that of an ameoba, but one thing that has impressed me so is the sight of much more Independents competing at a high level than ever before.
Team RAC have been joined by Team Euotech, Jackson Motorsort, Team Air Cool/GR Asia and I think even can we say Motorbase(?) in terms of racing done to a level where they are able to pick up points consistently.

And with marquees from the STCC like Merc and Volvo, as far as I am aware, close to entering sometime, I think the Independents could benefit every bit as much as the Manufacturers providing the deal encompasses both Independent and Manufacturer prepared Mercs and Volvo's.

nik
23rd August 2007, 16:45
It's been the best season since last year.

Iain
23rd August 2007, 16:46
It's been a decent year, but I thought 2004 was a very good year.

Winchester
23rd August 2007, 17:00
It is approaching a vintage season - probably not as good as 04 though, the main reason being the race winners (bar one) are always Seat, Vauxhall, RAC and Halfords.
04 was a little more unpredictable.

Alfa Fan
23rd August 2007, 17:13
Well in 04 the race winners were only Seat, Vauxhall, WSR and Halfords apart from the occasional Tom Chilton (Arena) victory.

CarlMetro
23rd August 2007, 17:54
It's been OK, but I wouldn't say it's been spectacular. About the only thing better this year compared to recent times has been the driving standards, and even then they've only improved marginally.

SEATFreak
23rd August 2007, 19:48
It is approaching a vintage season - probably not as good as 04 though, the main reason being the race winners (bar one) are always Seat, Vauxhall, RAC and Halfords.
04 was a little more unpredictable.

Well in 04 the race winners were only Seat, Vauxhall, WSR and Halfords apart from the occasional Tom Chilton (Arena) victory.

2004 for me looking back is not really different in terms of who was the lead teams in the Championship.

Even back then VXR and SEAT dominated with TD and WSR just behind seemingly winning but just not doing enough to break the dominance of VXR and SEAT. Race 3 at Silverstone and Race 2 at Donnington (final meeting) was the only time a driver outside of SEAT, VXR, Team Dynamics and WSR got on the top step when Tom Chilton did it. SEAT and VXR both took the top step ten times with WSR and Team Dynamics only four times that season.

But what about the competitive talent in 2004? Better or worse than 2007?

Iain
24th August 2007, 15:52
Better in 2004. Muller, Plato, Thompson, Neal, Reid all there. :) By saying it was a good year, I'm not defining it by the number of different race winning cars or drivers, I'm referring to how close it was at the season's end. That was an awesome finale at Donington Park. :D

Mark
24th August 2007, 16:31
2001 was six years ago. That is plenty time. Remember that some who know about the history of the sport were not following it forever either!

SEATFreak
24th August 2007, 18:07
Better in 2004. Muller, Plato, Thompson, Neal, Reid all there. :) By saying it was a good year, I'm not defining it by the number of different race winning cars or drivers, I'm referring to how close it was at the season's end. That was an awesome finale at Donington Park. :D

And, unless it was just at Silverstone, we had races packed with drama too.

Reidy getting harrangued by both Matt Neal and Thommo for moves he pulled on them is something I think I will never forget.

I ain't got the foggiest to this day what it was about but it was great. :up:

MBailey06
24th August 2007, 21:52

Don't forget though Iain, that this season could end up with a close season's end. This season is not over yet by any means.

Jimmy Magnusson
24th August 2007, 23:04
I personally think 2002 was a good and entertaining year. I do miss the BTC rules for this season - it was the right thing to do to bring in S2000, but I think that BTC was a better & more interresting set of rules.

VkmSpouge
25th August 2007, 01:46

But we have the same number of teams winning this year. We probably would have had one more but Jordan got a Vauxhall up the exhaust pipe.

I think 2004 was a pretty good season, quite competitive with lots of good racing. I think 2007 is challenging it but it'll need the title fight to go to the wire again (Thompson winning by a fastest lap point will be hard to beat).

SEATFreak
25th August 2007, 09:30
But we have the same number of teams winning this year. We probably would have had one more but Jordan got a Vauxhall up the exhaust pipe.

I think 2004 was a pretty good season, quite competitive with lots of good racing. I think 2007 is challenging it but it'll need the title fight to go to the wire again (Thompson winning by a fastest lap point will be hard to beat).

Indeed. Compare the top four teams in 2004 to the top four teams this season.

SEATFreak
25th August 2007, 09:31
Double post.

Caroline
29th August 2007, 09:54
The racing is close but it doesn't hold my interest the way it once did - perhaps it is the loss of drivers like Thompspn and Reidy that make me feel this way. So to me the season is ok, but the coverage is a bit hit and miss. I do really like seeing the BMWs, they look great.

wedge
30th August 2007, 11:48
Was never a big fan of BTC spec cars. Apart from the Integra I thought the rest of the field looked silly with a useless massive rear wing on hatchbacks. Should've renamed the series as Chavcar racing!

S2000 spec saloons is one of the reasons I enjoy BTCC more these days.

Wasn't 2004 the stupid reverse grid rules when Plato blatantly slowed down on the last laps on race 2 all the time?

thompp
30th August 2007, 15:11
Was never a big fan of BTC spec cars. Apart from the Integra I thought the rest of the field looked silly with a useless massive rear wing on hatchbacks. Should've renamed the series as Chavcar racing!

S2000 spec saloons is one of the reasons I enjoy BTCC more these days.

Wasn't 2004 the stupid reverse grid rules when Plato blatantly slowed down on the last laps on race 2 all the time?

also saw drivers slowing down in 2005 as well.

Scuderia ferrari
30th August 2007, 19:46
Amen to that mate! This season has been top quality! Dare i say it, it's actully been better than formula one this year! I'm defiently getting the 2007 review DVD when it comes out. This year has been too class not too!

Iain
30th August 2007, 20:47
Dare i say it, it's actully been better than formula one this year!

I think you'll find it always is. :p :