PDA

View Full Version : Vision Racing - - superteam ???

ChicagocrewIRL
22nd August 2007, 23:49
What will it take for Vision Racing to join the ranks of the "superteams" AGR, Penske, Ganassi ?

If Vision does start winning a lot of races, will their run be tainted by the fact that the owner also owns the IndyCar Series ?

And... if you're a driver, Scheckter, Foyt, Carpenter, does this taint of favored status, even if you are TRULY good, make a difference to you ???

I see Vision making some great strides, and if they land a major sponsor in the off season, they could be a force next year in the League.

Forum members... your thoughts ????

Mark in Oshawa
23rd August 2007, 17:13
Vision is no longer a laughing stock, but when they start winning races on a regular basis, then we can start the talk. Right now, they just have been upgraded to competant after being a joke.

AJ and Carpenter are not likely to challenge for any championships any time soon, and Scheckter is a lot of unrealized potential and has been for some time. At some point, he has to produce wins.

AS for Tony George being the owner while racing in the series owned by him, I think he has done things in an above the board manner to not show favouritism. AT some point though, if he could divest himself of Vision it would make for better appearences.

Jonesi
23rd August 2007, 23:12
I can't imagine how the team can get much better when it appears the drivers were signed based on family name/connections not on ability.

Mark in Oshawa
24th August 2007, 08:05
Jonesi....well in the case of Andretti Green, at least one of the drivers is family but he is getting better.....

Komahawk
24th August 2007, 15:34
If this team could get up to the level Panther had in '05 and '06 then this is going to be some serious competition. However, I'd replace Foyt and Carpenter with Rice and Meira.
On the other hand, both of them are clearly improving this season. None of them ever had a competative car, except Foyt in Chicago last year, where he was the second best AGR driver.

This year Scheckter could've won races, he was as fast as anybody in Texas before Marco clipped him and in Michigan he ran with Wheldon and Dario right before the big one. Scheckter is like his Dad in a way. Before he started winning races everybody complained that Jody should be excluded of the series and that he was overmotivated and too inconsistant. When he turned 30 he suddenly was consistant and had the car to beat and won the title. Tomas is 29 now, give him time. A great character also.

Mark in Oshawa
24th August 2007, 17:14
Tomas has been promising for so long that we forget what his dad did. I always liked Jody, but Tomas seems a little more headstrong. Who knows, you might be right. As for Foyt IV and Carpenter, well at least they are not tearing up equipment, but I still don't think they will be anything more than journeymen drivers....

keysersoze
25th August 2007, 00:22
A rumour over at TF is that Scheckter will not be a Vision driver in '08. His option appears to be AGR, replacing TK, DF, or Marco, all of whom have been rumored to be considering other teams or other series.

Not a Tomas fan, but I believe his wild days are over, and he's got what it takes to be a regular at the sharp end, and a regular winner. Having said that, his results, given the quality of his equipment over the years, is sorely lacking. Two measly wins.

Komahawk
26th August 2007, 09:42
It's all about consistency with Tomas. He's as fast as anyone, just not consistant enough.

I thought Herta was going to be the substitution for anybody leaving AGR...