PDA

View Full Version : What Rockingham could have looked like...

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 23:25
I was browsing the old world wide internet and came across this picutre of what Rockingham might have been.

http://www.ybapublications.co.uk/shortcircuit/Features/photos/sc_feat_0008.jpg

Wow!

An oval that looks more fun even than the current one, a proper infield circuit and, the holy grail, a kart track (something that simply MUST be built at Rockingham and would be the first thing i did if i ever got in charge of the facility!)

turn 4 mad
22nd August 2007, 23:28
i remember the main stand was going to be there but they moved it for safety reasons if i remember, cant remember why, muet of been the fiesta lads wanting it moved! only joking.

racing59
22nd August 2007, 23:31
Wasn't there an earlier one for "Deene Raceway" which showed it looking more like Daytona or Talledega - big D-Oval shape?

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 23:36
Well it appears roughly similar to the track we have now. It kinda looks like the moved the stand to the left side of the track (from this above shot!), which would place it infront of that big open area of grass rather than knocking a load of those trees down. Plus, that means when you come up the driveway you see the rockingham building on the horizon, rather than looking at the side of it as in this picture.

Only other real difference appears to be that the made the radius of turn 4 smaller. That would make turn 1 tighter and would therefore be more or less what we have now.

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 23:37
This is what i was reading btw;

http://www.ybapublications.co.uk/shortcircuit/Features/sc_story_rock.htm

shake'N'bake
23rd August 2007, 01:25
At least the one in the pic has a lake to drain the rain water into.....

Abo
23rd August 2007, 06:26
the holy grail, a kart track

Not just a kart track, look at the shape of it...

R3ROK
23rd August 2007, 06:38
Not just a kart track, look at the shape of it...

....a mini oval...how cool is that :)

Nick Brad
23rd August 2007, 09:49
I have both these pics lurking on my PC somewhere, (there is another one from a lower angle,) why they didn't proceed with this plan i'll never know.

Still, we work with what we've got which isn't so bad anyway, just a shame there isn't more ovals ;)

deadsquirrel
23rd August 2007, 09:50
At least the one in the pic has a lake to drain the rain water into.....

there are balancing ponds in the current build

racing59
23rd August 2007, 10:12
Balancing ponds? I thought that was the track through PifPaf, and at Tarzan?
:D

JovialJooles
23rd August 2007, 10:46
Looking at the piccie, the plan must have been to build a smaller oval.

There is a perimeter road all the way around the outside of the track. There's no way that would fit around the current configuration. I know there is one, but it is not as big as the one appears in the piccie.

I like the longer corner feature, reminds me a bit of Pocano.

I like the track. Perhaps someone could build us one.

Damon, fancy building an oval?

acorn
23rd August 2007, 17:02
....a mini oval...how cool is that :)

one third mile long.

and, in the original booklet that i was given at the rain delayed live showing of the 2000 indy 500 for supporters club members, on page 1 they say they will provide a broad range of entertainment from classical concerts to bicycle racing(neither of which i've seen yet).

does steve murgatroyd, who won the racing school day at that gathering, still frequent rockingham?

be thankful also that we don't have the 2 storey pit block that was in the images and also that the main spectator seats in the rock building are above the hospitality suites rather than below.

LessThanSte
23rd August 2007, 17:18
Ha, i didnt notice that mini oval. Looks like Darlington :D