PDA

View Full Version : Are you a man or a bear

Eki
23rd December 2006, 12:11
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238003,00.html

Doctors Say Man Survived Extreme Weather by 'Hibernating'

Thursday, December 21, 2006

TOKYO — A man who went missing in western Japan survived in near-freezing weather without food and water for over three weeks by falling into a state similar to hibernation, doctors said.

Mitsutaka Uchikoshi had almost no pulse, his organs had all but shut down and his body temperature was 71 degrees Fahrenheit when he was discovered on Rokko mountain in late October, said doctors who treated him at the nearby Kobe City General Hospital. He had been missing for 24 days.

"On the second day, the sun was out, I was in a field, and I felt very comfortable. That's my last memory," Uchikoshi, 35, told reporters Tuesday before returning home from hospital. "I must have fallen asleep after that."

Doctors believe Uchikoshi, a city official from neighboring Nishinomiya who was visiting the mountain for a barbecue party, tripped and later lost consciousness in a remote mountainous area.

His body temperature soon plunged as he lay in 50-degree weather, greatly slowing down his metabolism.

race aficionado
23rd December 2006, 21:09
People he owed money too are sure glad he made it.

But seriously, it's nice to hear survival stories like these specially when here in the USA we have had two separate incidents this month that didn't have happy endings.