PDA

View Full Version : Akira Yanagawa

21st August 2007, 11:32
Akira is to join de Puniet and West at Motegi. I was a fan of Akira when he rode WSBK so hope he has a good race :up:

NinjaMaster
21st August 2007, 14:19
I too was a big fan of Yanagawa's during his WSB days. He's still pretty quick, leading the Japanese Superbike title presently. Hope he does well. Be nice to see another green machine on the grid.

The Phantom
21st August 2007, 15:57
That's very cool.

Footage of his crash where the fuel tank disintegrates and bursts into flames is still awesome - I love the way he just takes a look and walks away!

He was also on the receiving end of one of the biggest WSB crashes ever - when Chandler's ZX-7RR locked up into the Corkscrew and took Akira out.

And for a long time held the WSB top speed record; 314km/h at Hockenheim (man I miss that track).

tha_jackal
22nd August 2007, 00:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24tbdW2BDE

Ouchies.. Yer i wish him the best of luck too.. Should be interesting to see how he goes..

racer69
22nd August 2007, 08:06
He's been around abit this year, he also did the opening AMA Superbike round at Daytona didn't he?

NinjaMaster
23rd August 2007, 09:44
That's very cool.

Footage of his crash where the fuel tank disintegrates and bursts into flames is still awesome - I love the way he just takes a look and walks away!

He was also on the receiving end of one of the biggest WSB crashes ever - when Chandler's ZX-7RR locked up into the Corkscrew and took Akira out.

And for a long time held the WSB top speed record; 314km/h at Hockenheim (man I miss that track).
Oh how I miss Hockenheim too. ;( Possibly the best WSB track ever (behind Phillip Island of course!).
That crash with Chandler was horrific. It knocked his 2 front teeth out and the replacement teeth he got made him look like Bugs Bunny! :laugh:

23rd August 2007, 11:06
Apparently you can buy a brick paving stone for placement at the corkscrew and have it engraved with your name or whatever. What would Akira put on his if he bought one?

NinjaMaster
23rd August 2007, 11:26
Ouch!!! ;)

Mach24
25th August 2007, 05:30
I have to say the Akira Yanagawa years in WSB are some of the fondest memories I have of bike racing. Whenever I hear his name I think of some amazing racing.

I still remember seeing him at Phillip Island for the first time and some of his heroics around the outside at turn one.

Akira is a racers racer!

The Phantom
27th August 2007, 07:27
I have to say the Akira Yanagawa years in WSB are some of the fondest memories I have of bike racing. Whenever I hear his name I think of some amazing racing.

I still remember seeing him at Phillip Island for the first time and some of his heroics around the outside at turn one.

Akira is a racers racer!

+1 :)

Yanagawa, Slight, Fogerty, Chili, Edwards, Crafar, Haga, Bostrom, Goddard, Corser (and many others) - talk about the 'glory days'!

NinjaMaster
27th August 2007, 09:33

Akira is a racers racer!

I remember wondering how the Go-Show's replacement would go and saw Akira come through turn 1 in practice and he clearly looked the fastest out of the field. He was really exciting.

+1 :)

Yanagawa, Slight, Fogerty, Chili, Edwards, Crafar, Haga, Bostrom, Goddard, Corser (and many others) - talk about the 'glory days'!

Amen to that! I look forward to the 'new breed' coming through in the next few years to hopefully bring back a golden age to WSB.