PDA

View Full Version : Which manufacturer(s) would you like to see enter WRC?

MikeD
20th August 2007, 09:58
Is there some speciel manufacturer you really wish would enter WRC?

I suspect that many are missing Lancia, but apart from that is there any other you would like to see in WRC?

Personally I would love to see Alfa Romeo in WRC. They are leaving WTCC at the end of this year so who knows?

Second best would be so see the new FIAT Punto as a WRC car.

Your thoughts?

Koppomsbo
20th August 2007, 10:23
Audi

N.O.T
20th August 2007, 10:26
all of them...

Josti
20th August 2007, 10:34
Lancia would be great, but they should keep their reputation as it is today. It would be Fiat for me. I think they can base a good WRCar on the Punto.

PuddleJumper
20th August 2007, 10:42
I'd like Toyota to return. The Corolla WRC was a great car!

pino
20th August 2007, 10:44
Lancia and Audi :s mokin:

A.F.F.
20th August 2007, 10:52
all of them...

I second that and multiply it by a hundred.

From Lada to Mercedes, I wan't them all.

jonas_mcrae
20th August 2007, 11:28
Nissan haha

White Sauron
20th August 2007, 11:33
Fiat, but not directly - as Abarth

Brother John
20th August 2007, 12:22
Volvo! :p : Saab. and.........a lot more! :s mokin:

Maui J.
20th August 2007, 12:23
all of them...

Yep, that would do nicely. Ssangyong, Dacia, Proton... I don't care where they are from, or what sort of reputation they have. Bring them on!

Buzz Lightyear
20th August 2007, 12:26
McLaren... (are they still a car manufacturer??)

would be interesting to see if they could make a quick rally car.

Curryhead
20th August 2007, 12:29
Talbot Sunbeam :D (showing my age)

AndyRAC
20th August 2007, 12:42
Yep, that would do nicely. Ssangyong, Dacia, Proton... I don't care where they are from, or what sort of reputation they have. Bring them on!

With great respect to those car companies, I don't want them in the WRC. T hey are budget car companies, do we really want a WRC populated by cheap and cheerful car manufacturers?
Saab, Volvo, Audi, yes that's more like it.

Woodeye
20th August 2007, 13:17
BMW would be nice. :p

turves
20th August 2007, 13:19
Reliant, but I dont think 3 wheel drive is eligible? :laugh:

(yes, I do know they built the RS200)

A.F.F.
20th August 2007, 13:36
With great respect to those car companies, I don't want them in the WRC. T hey are budget car companies, do we really want a WRC populated by cheap and cheerful car manufacturers?
Saab, Volvo, Audi, yes that's more like it.

Well, Subaru, Skoda and Seat used to be considered cheap and cheerfull car manufacturers. Or at least when they first landed in Finland.

jonkka
20th August 2007, 14:16
Well, Subaru, Skoda and Seat used to be considered cheap and cheerfull car manufacturers. Or at least when they first landed in Finland.

All japanese makes for that matter... How times and world change... Toyota being biggest in the world... :eek:

L5->R5/CR
20th August 2007, 14:55
In no particular order...

Toyota
Fiat Group
A GM brand (Opel maybe?)
Nissan
Renault
Mitsubishi
A real SUBARU entry that can be competitive
Maybe Pug back (I'd be happy if each of the big parent companies had just one really good team though)
Volkswagen Audi Group

And
one or two of the discount brands like Proton, Hyundai or Dacia (I still like having the smaller also run teams, they have different looking cars and it is enjoyable to see the underdogs compete, especially when they do well!).

Now if there was a RWD GT class I'd through in Mercedes, Aston Martin, BMW Porsche and the like in the mix as well...

Daniel
20th August 2007, 15:02
Renault, Fiat Group and Toyota.

3 manufacturers that if they had the inclination and the funding would come in an be up there with Ford and Citroen within a year or two. I don't want manufacturers to come in and try like Hyundai did. They should play to win :)

feresc13
20th August 2007, 15:15
Under my opinion Lancia should return, 15 years later of its retirement, stills being the manufacturer with more championships, but until they don't develop a New Delta... It's hardly impossible.

So, more reallistic, considering the future WRC based on S2000 cars, hope for a Toyota return, specially considering his rule in F1, Fiat and Peugeot (very difficult if Citroën stills being in WRC).

pantealex
20th August 2007, 16:29
1 Audi

2 Lancia

3 Toyota

4 Renault

+all others...

Corny
20th August 2007, 17:10
FIAT indeed, Mitsu back and Spyker.. I'm sure they could be competitive in rallying

Josti
20th August 2007, 17:55
and Spyker.. I'm sure they could be competitive in rallying

:laugh:

tmx
20th August 2007, 18:19
I was a fan of Porsche, they are great innovating technology in the early days and for circuit racing, but they never tackled rally. Now I don't like their cars no more.

RallyCat909
21st August 2007, 03:47
Maybe I watch too many old rally vids, but I wish there was a class for RWD cars. Automatically that includes BMW and Porsche.

Whats up with Hyundai? And as much as Id like to see Volvo, Ford owns them. Doesnt GM own Saab? Would be a good way for them to enter WRC.

GigiGalliNo1
21st August 2007, 05:02
Abarth
Mitsu
Skoda
Renault
Suzuki
ohh!! Toyota!

gloomyDAY
21st August 2007, 06:14
A company owned by GM. I'm probably going to open a can of worms, but I'd love to see Chevrolet get involved with the WRC. They have a pretty good platform to work off of (Chevrolet Aveo) and can develop a competitive car.

Am I dreaming? Yes, but I love to dream. If GM ever gets serious about the WRC then I wouldn't mind rooting for the American automaker.

Ford v. Chevy :D

Windsofwar
21st August 2007, 06:34
Abarth
Mitsu
Skoda
Renault
Suzuki
ohh!! Toyota!
1) Punto S2000, no WRC unfortunately

2) To the point of no return. Nevermore

3) I think Kopecky drives an 'official' Skoda afterall

4) good dream :)

5) they're in very soon, maybe you're missing last news ?

6) they like to waste billions of $ in F1 (not winning anything too)

To keep on dreaming I would like Ferrari =D

GigiGalliNo1
21st August 2007, 07:08
lol

feresc13
21st August 2007, 07:32
A company owned by GM. I'm probably going to open a can of worms, but I'd love to see Chevrolet get involved with the WRC. They have a pretty good platform to work off of (Chevrolet Aveo) and can develop a competitive car.

Am I dreaming? Yes, but I love to dream. If GM ever gets serious about the WRC then I wouldn't mind rooting for the American automaker.

I think that your dream is difficult to become true, Chevrolet is involved on WTCC, with quite good results, as like as BMW and Seat.

But it could be nice to see an american car rallying driven by Pastrana.

feresc13
21st August 2007, 07:41
1) Punto S2000, no WRC unfortunately

2) To the point of no return. Nevermore

3) I think Kopecky drives an 'official' Skoda afterall

4) good dream :)

5) they're in very soon, maybe you're missing last news ?

6) they like to waste billions of $ in F1 (not winning anything too)

To keep on dreaming I would like Ferrari =D

1) Future WRC will be based on S2000 cars, so why not a Punto WRC?

Ferrari... Well, until FIA doesn't allow to run GTcars in the WRC, it will be difficult, but here in Spain soon will run a 360 Modena

DonJippo
21st August 2007, 09:14
Lada, I know the boys in Togliatti have build some wicked cars in the past and would like to see them having a decent go in WRC :D

Daniel
21st August 2007, 09:16
You been on the Finlandia DJ? :mark: Or are you IvanThaDriver in disguise? :D

DonJippo
21st August 2007, 09:26
You been on the Finlandia DJ? :mark: Or are you IvanThaDriver in disguise? :D

Hey don't insult me that could lead you to big problems :p : Hell even Citroen made it to the top and this is where they came from ... ;)

http://home.planet.nl/%7Ekoper193/bx_4tcevo_rear.jpg

Fischer
21st August 2007, 09:44
Daihatsu

A.F.F.
21st August 2007, 09:46
Lada has (at least one) S2000. If I'm not totally wrong, it was used as a frontcar in Russian IRC rally.

So maybe Lada get their act to S2000 ;)

Daniel
21st August 2007, 10:31
Hey don't insult me that could lead you to big problems :p : Hell even Citroen made it to the top and this is where they came from ... ;)

http://home.planet.nl/%7Ekoper193/bx_4tcevo_rear.jpg
That's a photoshop :p Show me a recent picture of one of those things in the metal :D

shurik
21st August 2007, 10:45
Lada has (at least one) S2000. If I'm not totally wrong, it was used as a frontcar in Russian IRC rally.

Well, afaik the want to present N1, N2, N4, R2 and Super2000 versions of Lada Kalina (early 90's design ugly-looking peice of crap), at least that's what the head of avtovaz sports car department said, but, looking back on Lada S200 experience, I think this is another 'money talk, bull**** walk' issue. :( It's more probable that Trabant will rise from dead and produce a Trabi WRC, than Avtovaz develop a decent rally car

A.F.F.
21st August 2007, 11:28
Well, afaik the want to present N1, N2, N4, R2 and Super2000 versions of Lada Kalina (early 90's design ugly-looking peice of crap), at least that's what the head of avtovaz sports car department said, but, looking back on Lada S200 experience, I think this is another 'money talk, bull**** walk' issue. :( It's more probable that Trabant will rise from dead and produce a Trabi WRC, than Avtovaz develop a decent rally car

:(

Addicted
21st August 2007, 11:28

Was that car 4WD or just FWD with two liter engine? But hell yeah rallyworld needs new Lada`s on stage, remember those nice VFTS boxes.

shurik
21st August 2007, 11:36
Was that car 4WD or just FWD with two liter engine? But hell yeah rallyworld needs new Lada`s on stage, remember those nice VFTS boxes.
It was 4WD with 2l Opel С20ХЕ engine afaik..

Lalo
21st August 2007, 15:23
- Renault
- VW
- Toyota could make a comeback :D
- Chevrolet (can you imagine a Corvette WRC?? Only in dreams).
- Seat
- Audi

MikeD
21st August 2007, 15:28

Chevrolet are currently putting all their focus into WTCC where enjoy quite a lot of sucsess. I don't think they will switch series anytime soon.

Corny
21st August 2007, 16:38

:laugh:
yes they would, if they put in the money they have spent on F1!

Vargåsen
21st August 2007, 16:50
I would like to see the Alfa Romeo 147 WRC

LotusElise
21st August 2007, 16:55
Toyota
Alfa Romeo
Fiat
Vauxhall (maybe).

I can't comment on Lancia because none of their new models have been sold in the UK for about 20 years, so I don't know.

Gauchurka
21st August 2007, 17:44
Mitsu
Toyota
Renault
Lancia
Hyundai
Skoda

Josti
21st August 2007, 18:27
yes they would, if they put in the money they have spent on F1!

Agree, those F1 efforts where ridiculous. I just hope for the sake of our country, Spyker won't enter WRC anytime. Let alone the fact that they don't have a car available for rally. Also, I don't see the interest of Spyker in Rallying. Maybe Dakar, but other than that...please no.

Miika
21st August 2007, 18:33
Lancia-Lancia-Lancia... and if that wouldn´t be possible then Audi, Fiat and Renault would do just fine.

Mise
21st August 2007, 18:35
To be precise:

Toyota Corolla/Auris WRC
Nissan Almera WRC
Honda Civic WRC
VW Golf WRC
Renault Megane WRC
BMW M1 WRC
Opel Astra WRC
Saab 9-3 (or is it 93) WRC
Mazda3 WRC

Corny
21st August 2007, 18:38
Agree, those F1 efforts where ridicilous. I just hope for the sake of our country, Spyker won't enter WRC anytime. Let alone the fact that they don't have a car available for rally. Also, I don't see the interest of Spyker in Rallying. Maybe Dakar, but other than that...please no.

for sure they will not have interests, but I'd like to see The Netherlands being involved in the world's top class of rallying :D

Josti
21st August 2007, 18:46
for sure they will not have interests, but I'd like to see The Netherlands being involved in the world's top class of rallying :D

Let it be a driver then ;)

Corny
21st August 2007, 18:54
Let it be a driver then ;)

If there's a driver who will be able to learn in another country, then yes there might be a driver;P

pantealex
21st August 2007, 19:51
To be precise:

Nissan Almera WRC
BMW M1 WRC

it is
Nissan Tiida/Qashqai/Note they don`t built Almera´s anymore
BMW 1-series or 3-series, M1 was on the 70`s

Mise
23rd August 2007, 09:43
it is
Nissan Tiida/Qashqai/Note they don`t built Almera´s anymore
BMW 1-series or 3-series, M1 was on the 70`s

I need to update my car knowledge. :confused:

What of those ( Nissan Tiida/Qashqai/Note) repalced Almera.

The Beemer should be M3 then.

MadCat
23rd August 2007, 12:57
To be precise:

Toyota Corolla/Auris WRC

I had heard that Toyota (through an outside company such as RED/ Toyota South Africa) were replacing the current Corolla S2000 with an Auris body.

bf1_IRL
24th August 2007, 00:47
Yeah, apparently the Auris S2000 should be ready at the end of the year... :)

As for a BMW 1-series, Not a WRC but a S2000
Here is one I did earlier ;) :D

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/bf1_photos/BMW1-SeriesSuper20009July072.jpg

Windsofwar
28th August 2007, 06:32
1) Future WRC will be based on S2000 cars, so why not a Punto WRC?
Ferrari... Well, until FIA doesn't allow to run GTcars in the WRC, it will be difficult, but here in Spain soon will run a 360 Modena
1) I was meaning 'now': a WRC Punto car will never be built. But yes if FIA will switch in 4-5 years to S2000 cars then they can and probably will be 'WRC' - of course assuming they don't stop developing the Punto S2000.

2) Ferrari WRC or S2000 car ftw :)

Eli
26th January 2014, 12:40
so just to be bringing back the topic, i would like to see Ford comeback,Peugeot and Subaru whenever....

Simmi
26th January 2014, 14:06
I'd literally take any manufacturer willing to put money in for a factory effort.

AndyRAC
26th January 2014, 14:32
so just to be bringing back the topic, i would like to see Ford comeback,Peugeot and Subaru whenever....

Ford is possible, in fact very likely. I seem to remember Gerrard Quinn stating that the TV and promotion has to be better for them to return.
Peugeot are developing the 208 R5, but will they come back as a Factory team? To replace Citroen, if they eventually pull out? I can't see Subaru returning to the WRC top class - they don't have a suitable car. The BRZ could possibly run in the 2WD class.

As for others, well we know about Toyota. Opel is an interesting one - but I imagine going on history they would likely do the DTM before any WRC programme, but I hope I'm wrong.

I can't think of any others - mainly because either Rallying doesn't suit their image, or has no relevance to their road cars, I;e Nissan.

noel157
26th January 2014, 15:44
Didn't Opel/GM state that they would go as far as R5?

COD
26th January 2014, 17:58
I'd literally take any manufacturer willing to put money in for a factory effort.

Couldn't agree more

26th January 2014, 23:02
Datsun SSS WRT :D

Toyota, Mercedes and Renault would be great to see! Be cool if a Chinese manufacturer entered, not sure how well that would go but

GigiGalliNo1
27th January 2014, 04:38
A Chinese manufacturer would be ideal, it would break that barrier to get a WRC round in China... but, really - I've heard from both national Chinese rallies and APRC Chinese round... it's another 3-4-5 years away from being well organised and managed compared to now. But going on car brands, there are a few brands out there that are being sold in Asian markets, Australia and NZ included. Does anyone know of Chinese car brands being sold in Europe?

The Dakar recently had a Chinese car/4WD manu come in, won the first Dakar stage of 2014! Wonder how the rest of the Dakar would have gone for them if they didn't have tech difficulties...

Now, which Chinese car company? It would sell the sport in China that is for sure!

TheFlyingTuga
27th January 2014, 05:55
The Dakar recently had a Chinese car/4WD manu come in, won the first Dakar stage of 2014! Wonder how the rest of the Dakar would have gone for them if they didn't have tech difficulties...

Now, which Chinese car company? It would sell the sport in China that is for sure!

The Haval SUV have raced for three years now in the Dakar! If I'm not mistaken, Carlos Sousa (the man behind the stage win) was 8th in the first time out and 7th last year. This year his team mate finished 8th too. But I don't think that they could aim much more than a 4th or 5th place. Afterall, the car is an old X-Raid X5 behind the chinese body.

Didn't hear anything about rally, but is a rumour going around that a Chinese brand will enter the WTCC this year.

noel157
27th January 2014, 08:52
http://mg.co.uk/m/d3ef94/380.png

http://mg.co.uk/motorsports/

shaitan
27th January 2014, 08:56

The Haval SUV have raced for three years now in the Dakar! If I'm not mistaken, Carlos Sousa (the man behind the stage win) was 8th in the first time out and 7th last year. This year his team mate finished 8th too. But I don't think that they could aim much more than a 4th or 5th place. Afterall, the car is an old X-Raid X5 behind the chinese body.

Didn't hear anything about rally, but is a rumour going around that a Chinese brand will enter the WTCC this year.
At the moment I can not see any sign that a Chinese car maker will enter WTCC.

In passed years there were few brand using down-spec s2000 car race in CTCC.

China is most posible host WRC envent in the future but it will be difficult for the local organization by now.

Running WRC or WTCC is more expensive than Darkar also there are few Chinese menufactures want to expend global auto market. So it's hardly to see a chinese team in WRC.

Mihai
27th January 2014, 13:00

A few years ago Chinese car brand Brilliance announced imminent plans for a WTCC campaign, but it turned to be just a publicity stunt by some European importer of this premium-wannabe marque. All that remained was a fancy CGI :

http://www.touringcartimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/04/wtcc05042801.jpg

I can't see any Chinese car manufacturer joining the WRC anytime soon. Their market is Chinese-oriented and the Chinese people aren't that interested in the WRC.

For people in developing (read 'poor') countries, an SUV is a status car, so it makes more sense for Chinese SUV manufacturers to target the Dakar Rally that nowdays takes place in the rapidly growing South American continent.

Rallyper
27th January 2014, 14:52
The answer is: I´d like to see Opel and in a winning position over VW...

Gregor-y
27th January 2014, 16:00
With a new Manta.

Zeakiwi
27th January 2014, 18:32
I would prefer a few manufacturers to put a few r5s together that national dealer teams or rally teams can run rather than a full factory entry.
Renault Clio r5, Honda Jazz R5 (using the HR412 E engine from WTCC), Toyota Yaris R5, Hyundai i20 R5, Opel (using the WTCC RML Chev engine) etc

Simmi
27th January 2014, 21:10
The answer is: I´d like to see Opel and in a winning position over VW...

I did get excited seeing all the Opel branding on Rally Germany. Hopefully there's some long-term ambition there.

Talbot
29th January 2014, 12:30
I'd love to see Mini back with full BMW commitment.

After the false start with Prodirve, I feel this is unfinished business, and unrealised potential.

stefanvv
30th January 2014, 22:36
I'd like to see that one entering in WRC - http://www.topgear.com/india/new-car-news?id=1506
Seriously

makinen_fan
31st January 2014, 08:48
I'd like to see that one entering in WRC - http://www.topgear.com/india/new-car-news?id=1506
Seriously

You realise how large a car it is! It's like 1987 with the Lancia Delta vs Audi 200 :p

Eli
31st January 2014, 11:32
VAG will never let Audi compete in the WRC, VW will leave before they let audi continue....

Mihai
31st January 2014, 13:40
Seriously

You realise how large a car it is! It's like 1987 with the Lancia Delta vs Audi 200 :p

Cr@p CGI's are not supposed to be taken seriously by grownups and neither stories from TopGear India. Puerile designers are not best known for taking into account details like car dimensions, marketing strategies or even common sense.

At best, the RS7 could be homologated nationally as a GT Rally car and run by some crazy tuner against Porsche.

stefanvv
31st January 2014, 14:30
Seriously

Exactly :D . I liked AUDI 200, even it was beaten by Lancia Delta, but then, who wasn't? Big, heavy, powerful, true "mighty quattro" :D Well, that was just for fun, even the designer doesn't give a chance 1:1000000 this car will ever compete, but it is such nice looking car, otherwise there are also some designes of S1 as a Rally car based on original AUDI livery with white-red-grey-black, which is much more likely to consider in WRC, looks not that bad either, I just like big cars :D

AndyRAC
31st January 2014, 14:45
VAG will never let Audi compete in the WRC, VW will leave before they let audi continue....

I can't see Audi ever returning to the WRC - their Premium rivals aren't in this sector; BMW/ Mercedes. They've moved on from Rallying.
That's not to say I wouldn't be delighted if they did.....

stefanvv
31st January 2014, 15:14

I can't see Audi ever returning to the WRC - their Premium rivals aren't in this sector; BMW/ Mercedes. They've moved on from Rallying.
Very true, their marketing interests are on tracks recent decades with luxury cars mostly, unfortunatelly.

Eli
31st January 2014, 16:33

Very true, their marketing interests are on tracks recent decades with luxury cars mostly, unfortunatelly.
yes and since MINI hasn't managed to enter the WRC porperly, there isn't a chance AUDI will return...

OldF
31st January 2014, 17:10
How about this? Little too big and I don’t seriously believe MB would join WRC. Could someone please translate what’s said in the text? Couldn’t copy it to Google translator.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bbw-UCiIUAEejow.jpg

Eli
6th March 2016, 17:49
just remembered it's 9 years since Subaru launched (back then) their new Impreza (which wasn't very successful if you guys remember) , does anyone here think they'll comeback?

Franky
6th March 2016, 17:58
No

seb_sh
6th March 2016, 19:34
just remembered it's 9 years since Subaru launched (back then) their new Impreza (which wasn't very successful if you guys remember) , does anyone here think they'll comeback?

Probably not, they have programs in BTCC and the lower class of Japanese GT (or used to have, not sure if they still do).

janvanvurpa
6th March 2016, 19:38
How about this? Little too big and I don’t seriously believe MB would join WRC. Could someone please translate what’s said in the text? Couldn’t copy it to Google translator.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bbw-UCiIUAEejow.jpg

Junge junge! text zu klein ist!

Er the text is too small.
Can't translate a whole bunch of grey..