PDA

View Full Version : What happended then?

Old Stock Nut
19th August 2007, 20:05
Has anybody got any idea what happened with the second PUTs race? Was it the drivers wanting to race and control not, or the other way round. There were a lot of very upset people around the flag and grandstand and the lack of a clear announcement on the pa only served to make it worse.

And it was such a shame for it to end that way because it had been so good until then. I must say that it was good to see the Rock with a few more bodies and cars around, even if they weren't oval fans yet...

R3ROK
19th August 2007, 20:18
I think they ran out of time......IMO pretty pathetic response by the Fiesta drivers by stopping the PUT's from coming out on circuit...not very professional now was it....ruined a good day...thanks Fiesta drivers I hope you are proud of yourselves...rant over.

Speedworx
19th August 2007, 20:28
Thats how I see it.

Due to the crappy RS track day being extended and the yellowfest race 1 of pick ups. They couldn't get in both Fiestas and pick ups.

Not the best advert for Rockingham.

LessThanSte
19th August 2007, 20:47
I can see it both sides, and what it appears to boil down to is organisation, once again.

The fiesta's were told it was 'too wet' to race. That was crap, we've had wetter races on the oval. It seems as if race control thought 'oo, hold on, if we run this we cant run the trucks so we wont bother'.

But if you've paid your entry fee to race, you'd be damn annoyed if they cancelled for a minor reason. Even reducing the distance would have been preferred, but it didnt appear that anyone gave that a chance.

So the drivers came out to complain, and arguably rightly so. We then heard that the track was too wet to race the trucks (ha) and that was that.

The loser, though, in all of this is, once again, Rockingham.

Today had the potential to be a really good day, with a large crowd, some good racing and hopefully a lot more new rockingham fans.

In the end, we saw a lot of Ford racing fans who came to see one of their two races who were angry that one had been cancelled, as well as a lot of angry pickup fans who didnt get to see one of the 'headline' races because of some crazy decisions.

But whats more annoying is that the whole thing could have been avoided.

The trackday didnt drag, but it was a lengthy time before the trucks rolled out on track, followed by introductions that took way too long and meant the red arrows fly-over was hopelessly mistimed. We then saw two decent v8 races that went down quite well (and nice to see people racing from the green!).

Then another lengthy break before the first lot of Fords came out, a cracking race in dire conditions at the end. Then we saw the recovery team at Yentwood taking hours to remove the stranded car. It was fully 15 minutes from them arriving at the car to getting it on the truck. We sat waiting for ages before someone decided to send the parade out, and then waited another 10-15 minutes before the Feista's hit the track. At 16:30 i said that we'd be lucky to get everything in because of all these delays and, lo and behold, what happened.

But this is the kind of situation that could very easily lead to people thinking 'the hell with Rockingham, im not going back', and we all know where that ends up!

cjhill2002
19th August 2007, 20:54
I think they ran out of time......IMO pretty pathetic response by the Fiesta drivers by stopping the PUT's from coming out on circuit...not very professional now was it....ruined a good day...thanks Fiesta drivers I hope you are proud of yourselves...rant over.

IMHO if i was a driver in that class and i had paid my entry fees and travelled all that way only to be told at the VERY last minute that we couldnt race due to the 'poor track conditions on the infield' (or whatever poor excuse they made) i would have been severely peed off to put it mildly. It wasn't their fault and i would have done the same.
The BRSCC were in control of the event (and we all know what cock ups they're capable of) and it was their job to make sure everything ran to schedule. They failed, resulting in 20+ unhappy pickup drivers, 15ish angry ford drivers and hundreds of spectators who had paid £15 for 4 races which took 3 and a half hours to complete.

Dave17
19th August 2007, 21:13
The fiesta's were told it was 'too wet' to race. That was crap, we've had wetter races on the oval.

You don't get inches of standing water on the oval.

I could go into more detail as an explanation of what happened today but due to past instances of forum members slaging us that are "in the know" off I shall leave you to guess!

LessThanSte
19th August 2007, 21:26
I could see 3 puddles from my seats, 1 big puddle on the pit exit area, 1 just out of turn 2 and 1 on the run into piff paff, both small. If there were others, that would genuinely have effected the race, i'd love to know where they were. Given that we were racing 30 minutes earlier in a monsoon, i find it odd that a couple of puddles is enough to cancel a race completely!

Reynard
19th August 2007, 21:31
Hmmm... Wouldn't it then have been far easier to say "sorry folks, we've run out of time" than to um, prevaricate?

Given what happened to us last time, guess both lots of drivers had a right to be hacked off, but I think the Fiesta lot were well in the wrong to do what they did. If they had a dispute, they should have gone through official channels instead of taking matters into their own hands. To clamber over the pit wall onto a track that was about to go live is a truly stupid thing to do.

earnhardt8
19th August 2007, 21:39
[quote="Reynard"]Hmmm... Wouldn't it then have been far easier to say "sorry folks, we've run out of time" than to um, prevaricate?

That is what the 2 men from the BRSCC told us after the "end of the racing" ,apparantly it took so long to remove the car left behind after the ford race, they couldnt fit it anymore racing.

jonathan carr
19th August 2007, 21:57
Has anyone got anything positive to say?

R3ROK
19th August 2007, 22:01

What's your view of this incident then?

Old Stock Nut
19th August 2007, 22:07
You mean like I did at the start!!

We had the Red Arrows flypast
We had an incident packed PUT race that ended with a green/white/chequer
We had two good quality V8 races without any yellows and the two RAF cars winning.

And then it rained..... 3 out of four races today in this summer has got to be above average.

racing59
19th August 2007, 22:07
From my knowledge of the infield circuit, after severe drizzle it can be dreadful. After a downpour like the one we had during the Ford Saloons, it becomes Lake Rockingham in some places and takes aeons to drain away.

Therefore, Race Control took the decision to can the Fiesta race on the infield in view of safety. The drivers were very unhappy and decided to rant their fury at poor ol' Chiggers on the gantry.

Regardless of common sense the fiesta drivers continued their protest to the point where the PuT race ran out of time.

Comments were made blaming the StockCars for the delay by running our two races back to back.

Yet again, the real villians were black clouds emitting wet stuff, and self importance.

The losers were the 1. The crowd. 2. The crowd, 3. The crowd. 4. The PuT's, and 5. The Fiesta's.

Comments overheard by spotters in their gallery.. "fiesta's cancelled? oh it's those pickup things, I like them!"

I feel we may have won some supporters, but the debacle at then end creates a blot on the copybook, even though it wasn't the fault of the BRSCC, the RS Owners Club, SHP, the V8 Trophy, or British Aiways.

Though they say any publicity is good publicity.

I bet Autosport blames the Stock Cars fo racing in the dry if it can be bothered to write a report.

boggettes
19th August 2007, 22:16
Firstly I must say that my family and I had a great day out at Rockingham today.

If I was to point a finger of blame it would have to be at the organisers, as during the day they knew that time was starting to slip away. I know this as I was asked to start the V8s at 2, but it was nearly 2.30 before they got underway.

I am grateful that they have tried to put on a full days sport, which covers a diverse selection of motor sport. Equally I do not want a public hanging or someone’s nether regions nailed to the front gates, but they must have known that time was getting tight so should have clipped laps from all the final races. This would have given them enough time to compete the full program and have spare time for any mishaps such as the problem with the Ford getting removed from the track. Effective time management would have left all race fans satisfied on what could have been a spectacular race day and I hope that we can learn from this and not let it happen again.

I must also mention the Ford Fiesta driver protest, this was out of place and not called for, grow up, pick up your teddies and get back in your pram! You had a right to complain but not at the expense of other racers.

We are all disappointed that the day ended this way; it could have been so much better.

Thank you Rockingham/BRSCC for trying hard, still room for improvement guys!

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
19th August 2007, 22:22
Does anyone know what time the curfew starts at the track? Only that was another reason the BRSCC officials gave for the fiasco at the end of the day.

Dave17
19th August 2007, 22:28
From my knowledge of the infield circuit, after severe drizzle it can be dreadful. After a downpour like the one we had during the Ford Saloons, it becomes Lake Rockingham in some places and takes aeons to drain away.

I feel we may have won some supporters, but the debacle at then end creates a blot on the copybook, even though it wasn't the fault of the BRSCC, the RS Owners Club, SHP, the V8 Trophy, or British Aiways.

Well said Rob. Summed it up perfectly!!!

(PS please find the rest of your cylinders for the next round.)

pickup
19th August 2007, 22:28
Given what happened to us last time, guess both lots of drivers had a right to be hacked off, but I think the Fiesta lot were well in the wrong to do what they did. If they had a dispute, they should have gone through official channels instead of taking matters into their own hands. To clamber over the pit wall onto a track that was about to go live is a truly stupid thing to do.

I totally agree, it wasn't the pickup teams fault the fiesta race was cancelled why ruin their race take it up with the organisers if your not happy dont p**s of your fellow motorsport competitors.
Stanty was definately not ammused after spending a frantic hour and a half or so helping him repair a badly damaged truck and getting it ready to go again and then being told the race was cancelled because people were refusing to move of the grid didn't go down to well with the normally laid back big John!
I can understand the Fiesta guys being annoyed but come on be fair go through the proper channels dont make yourself look silly by doing things like that it'll only have dire consequences on your own racing future.

earnhardt8
19th August 2007, 22:31
In fairness to the Fiesta guys (& pick-ups too) if i'd been sat around allday and had paid to race i would have been hacked off at not getting a race- though i dont think going over to the gantry and shouting at Chigley was the right thing to do.

I do also feel sorry for the fans who also feel cheated out of the 2nd pick up race- We and (several other that i know) will think very very hard about purchasing season tickets next year-- and before anyone starts saying we are not true fans, all of us (10 ) have been going since the very beginning and have supported the SCSA/ASCAR through thick and thin.

truckmonster
You gotta feel sorry for the likes of Phil White and John Stant to name just two who did such a great job and their guys worked so hard to be ready for the second race,before the debicle at the end. I think the BRSCC are to blame for the mess, I thought the pick up trucks were supposed to be the headline formula at rockingham and the T.V cameras were there to give them some much needed publicity.....what a mess thanks BRSCC!

rocknut
the big loss in what happened is that if the put's had raced it would have showed the number of first time visitors that were left that good fast racing can take place on the oval in the wet
a lot of people must be put off if forecast is for rain despite rocks superb facilities
but if they had seen what the racing can really be like with one of the best kept secrets in motor sport racing in the wet on the oval they might reconsider good old rock when it's rainin

Abo
19th August 2007, 22:34
IMHO if i was a driver in that class and i had paid my entry fees and travelled all that way only to be told at the VERY last minute that we couldnt race due to the 'poor track conditions on the infield' (or whatever poor excuse they made) i would have been severely peed off to put it mildly. It wasn't their fault and i would have done the same.
The BRSCC were in control of the event (and we all know what cock ups they're capable of) and it was their job to make sure everything ran to schedule. They failed, resulting in 20+ unhappy pickup drivers, 15ish angry ford drivers and hundreds of spectators who had paid £15 for 4 races which took 3 and a half hours to complete.

Yeah, but there was no need to hold up another series out of spite. After all, we travelled 'all that way' only to be told at the VERY last minute that we couldn't race due to unscheduled track activity. They could have lodged complaints, gone through official channels etc. but they had to act like a bunch of brats and spit their dummy out.

Like I said; no class.

Reynard
19th August 2007, 22:36
Does anyone know what time the curfew starts at the track? Only that was another reason the BRSCC officials gave for the fiasco at the end of the day.

As I understand it, the curfew is at 6 pm, but the last race must start by 5 pm.

I feel sorry for Chigley - he's a top fella and didn't deserve the barracking and gestures that were aimed at him.

Abo
19th August 2007, 22:37

No, the whole thing was sh1t. After a crappy first race for us due to a plug lead going bad on us of all things, we were ready to roll.

I feel most badly for the likes of Stanty and his crew, who worked like demons to get the truck raceworthy only got a bunch of losers to spoil things. Idiots.

Abo
19th August 2007, 22:38
The drivers were very unhappy and decided to rant their fury at poor ol' Chiggers on the gantry.

Maybe we could fit him up with an M134 on a pintle mount for Motorfest! :D

theoffy
19th August 2007, 22:43
I can slightly understand from the Fiesta's drivers point of view, they did have their timetable changed, which I may be wrong, meant if they raced in the normal time it was dry.

But on the other hand having watched one of the recover vechicles drive around the infield when they were clearing up and making a 4ft high splash in standing water I can understand why the race was pulled.

The 'demo' was a disgrace, I have never seen anything like it before. I feel really bad for the PUT's because the wet conditions is a real test and watching those guys get the trucks back together after the first race.

It was a bum note on a otherwise good day.

Gavin

Dave17
19th August 2007, 22:44
I could see 3 puddles from my seats

You were obviously in a better vantage point than me to see 3 puddles.

From MY vantage point (post 19, entry to the link onto the oval at T4) the LAKE in the centre of the complex (where the two sets of tyre towers are)had nowhere to go so it formed a RIVER leading across the track on the entry which in turn formed numerous PONDS in the breaking area.

I also gather from the marshal ( who has considerable years experience both over here and in the States) where the cars leave the oval before T2 that the water had run down off the banked oval and the corner was indeed flooded beyond safe racing.

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
19th August 2007, 22:50
As I understand it, the curfew is at 6 pm, but the last race must start by 5 pm.

I feel sorry for Chigley - he's a top fella and didn't deserve the barracking and gestures that were aimed at him.

Ok then but the pick-up's would have been pushing it very close to get out by 5pm even if the fiesta drivers hadn't been on track, I took a picture of them stood on track (when they first came out) and it was 5.01pm.

But too be honest the pick-up's had, had one race and the fiesta's had been waiting all day for this one race only to be told they couldn't! I can completely understand their frustration. But at the same time I can understand the pick-up drivers are also disappointed.

I was disappointed at not seeing the pick-up trucks race (as Stanty had just come out of his garage) but I think it's unfair to blame the fiesta drivers.

boggettes
19th August 2007, 22:53
I agree, it is all about time management. its was going wrong all day!

Reynard
19th August 2007, 23:00
I was disappointed at not seeing the pick-up trucks race (as Stanty had just come out of his garage) but I think it's unfair to blame the fiesta drivers.

You can't blame the Fiesta drivers for the timetabling - sometimes if a clear-up takes far longer than expected and there is a circuit curfew, races are canned. Have seen it a fair number of times at Snetterton over the years. That is an issue for the organizers and they do have to call it as they see fit.

On the other hand, the Fiesta drivers should not have done what they did. It was seriously unprofessional and does not paint them in a very good light at all.

bravheart
19th August 2007, 23:05
I thought the pick up trucks were supposed to be the headline formula at rockingham and the T.V cameras were there to give them some much needed publicity.....what a mess thanks BRSCC!

T.V cameras? were they being filmed then?

champcarjon
19th August 2007, 23:10
To be honest I left after the last V8 race (driving back to Gloucester .. to watch NASCAR) so missed all this. Ok the RS owners track time ran over and the first (and only) PUT race was a wild ride but the large crowd in the main grandstand seemed to like it. The racing was some of the best I have seen. The two V8 races where a little spread out but good result in the end. I enjoyed the day to be honest.

pickup
19th August 2007, 23:12

Indeed they were and four trucks were carrying onboard cameras so i can tell you the person who paid for this production out of his own pocket is definately not happy!

truckmonster
19th August 2007, 23:15
The pickups were being filmed for ch5 and motors TV today yes,and i think it has cost a lot of money to do it too.I feel sorry for Sonny Howard and PUT management, maybe its time to get away from BRSCC?

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
19th August 2007, 23:16
You can't blame the Fiesta drivers for the timetabling - sometimes if a clear-up takes far longer than expected and there is a circuit curfew, races are canned. Have seen it a fair number of times at Snetterton over the years. That is an issue for the organizers and they do have to call it as they see fit.

On the other hand, the Fiesta drivers should not have done what they did. It was seriously unprofessional and does not paint them in a very good light at all.

Ok so some races get 'canned' then why did it have to be the fiesta's and not the pick-up trucks? I know they say because of the track, but the other ford lot were racing in the pouring rain! I can't say i'm too bothered which would've raced, and I love watching the pick-up's race. I just think it's caused alot of trouble and made alot of people question the organisation of the day.

racing59
19th August 2007, 23:18
Talking of curfews - has anyone been to Mallory?

In terms of running a race meeting, the BRSCC today did the best they could with the time they had and the weather that was thrown at them.

Had the Fiesta guys admitted that the track was too wet, the Pickups would have raced, and the crowd got what they deserved.

The Fiesta's would then be "owed" a race by the BRSCC.

Now, we have two sets of sour drivers, one sour group of fans.

Sorry, but I agree with Abo on this, the Fiesta drivers have no class. They had ideas way above their station. RS day or not, they were a support to the main events at Rockingham - V8 Trophy and Pickup Truck Racing.

Here endeth the sermon.

turn 4 mad
19th August 2007, 23:20

i allways thought it was 5pm sunday

truckmonster
19th August 2007, 23:21
Ok so some races get 'canned' then why did it have to be the fiesta's and not the pick-up trucks? I know they say because of the track, but the other ford lot were racing in the pouring rain! I can't say i'm too bothered which would've raced, and I love watching the pick-up's race. I just think it's caused alot of trouble and made alot of people question the organisation of the day.

Because Pickups and SCSA are headline formula at this meeting look at the proggramme!

LessThanSte
19th August 2007, 23:26
To be honest I left after the last V8 race (driving back to Gloucester .. to watch NASCAR)

That was unfortunate. Bloody rain!

wends
19th August 2007, 23:27
Sunday is all about racing so why couldn't racing take place first and then the track day after? Or is that too simple?

If anything is delayed due to weather or anything else then the track day time would have been shortened, not the racing. We wasted 4½ hours doing nothing. I feel sorry for the spectators, the fiesta boys, (who had a good race on Saturday) and the Pick Ups.

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
19th August 2007, 23:29
Because Pickups and SCSA are headline formula at this meeting look at the proggramme!

Too be perfectly honest I would consider the pick-up's as the headline formula they have some fantastic races. Don't get me wrong i've got nothing against the SCSA (i've been going nearly fromt he start) but only 10 cars and well being honest, races which are more like parade laps, doesn't constitute a entertaining form of motorsport to me.

turn 4 mad
19th August 2007, 23:29
You don't get inches of standing water on the oval.

I could go into more detail as an explanation of what happened today but due to past instances of forum members slaging us that are "in the know" off I shall leave you to guess!
the people i feel real sorry for are ghigley and all the hard working marshalls out there in the pooring rain with no thanks who must of been abit confused, 1 minite infield, next minite oval then nothing!, keep up the good work lads and lasses, dont matter if it was the weather, rs boys or out of time without you lot there would be no reason.
So a BIG THANKYOU to you all.

LessThanSte
19th August 2007, 23:31
Rob's comments, btw, are interesting. The Pickup's are the headliners and, unless things are now done differently, everything in ones power is done to get the headline act, as it were, on.

Why not just roll the trucks onto the track. They'd have moved if they suddenly realised we would be racing, whether they stood shouting at Judith (sorry!) or not.

Oh, Dave, i stand corrected. I wasnt aware of a lake there, cant see it from where we sat, and certainly couldnt see any rivers. Still, the weather was significantly worse 30 minutes earlier during the other race, why was that not stopped early?

Oh, something thats just occured to me. KJW's spin, was it self inflicted, oui or non? Im pretty sure i didnt see any contact, anyone have any contradictory evidence?

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
19th August 2007, 23:31
Sunday is all about racing so why couldn't racing take place first and then the track day after? Or is that too simple?

If anything is delayed due to weather or anything else then the track day time would have been shortened, not the racing. We wasted 4½ hours doing nothing. I feel sorry for the spectators, the fiesta boys, (who had a good race on Saturday) and the Pick Ups.

I second that!

bravheart
19th August 2007, 23:33
Indeed they were and four trucks were carrying onboard cameras so i can tell you the person who paid for this production out of his own pocket is definately not happy!

I can understand why! what a real shame, The SCSA Pick-up and V8 Trophy racing needs all the exposure it can to promote Oval racing.

boggettes
19th August 2007, 23:35
All day the time table slipped, it needed more controll. come rain, shine or crashed fords. it needed the fun police to push races along.

champcarjon
19th August 2007, 23:38
That was unfortunate. Bloody rain!

Yeah, oh well got home at a decent time anyway.

Dave17
19th August 2007, 23:55
In terms of running a race meeting, the BRSCC today did the best they could with the time they had and the weather that was thrown at them.

Had the Fiesta guys admitted that the track was too wet, the Pickups would have raced, and the crowd got what they deserved.

Yet again :up: :up: :up: Rob!

turn 4 mad
20th August 2007, 00:02
if you remember back to last season, we had really good weather for every meeting and the race days went smooth and some brill racing by the scsa/pickups and guest races, this year we have not been so lucky with the weather and its all gone pear shape. i dont think at the end of the day anyones to blame, its just down to bad luck with the weather. im sure if we get the good weather again everything will be smooth again. well done to everyone for trying to make it work-in very hard conditions at times today.

corbygal
20th August 2007, 00:59
if you remember back to last season, we had really good weather for every meeting and the race days went smooth and some brill racing by the scsa/pickups and guest races, this year we have not been so lucky with the weather and its all gone pear shape. i dont think at the end of the day anyones to blame, its just down to bad luck with the weather. im sure if we get the good weather again everything will be smooth again. well done to everyone for trying to make it work-in very hard conditions at times today.

Totally agree. Everyone knows how crap the weather's been this year, just unfortunate timing really.

Although I see where the Fiesta drivers were coming from protesting, it was a bit childish. Like mentioned previously, they should have gone through the proper channels to protest.

I saw Ian Brown after talking to the Fiesta drivers and he looked like he'd rather be somewhere else! I think if the Fiesta drivers didn't protest, or atleast not protest on track, the end of the day would have been better.

I feel sorry for Chigley too. I saw him hiding behind a couple of other people who were talking to the Fiesta drivers.

If the Fiesta's went out I'm sure atleast half the field wouldn't have finished the race given how wet it was, which may have actually saved some drivers a lot of money! (more than the race fee anyway!)

darknessrock
20th August 2007, 04:53
To be honest I left after the last V8 race (driving back to Gloucester .. to watch NASCAR) .

I left very early to watch NASCAR... last thursday! just to let you know, here in Michigan it's now 11:42 pm sunday, and still raining! Not looking good for tomorrow either, although if Rob sees this, we did go drag racing last night, and saw some very nice competition aluminum heads for sale....... :)

Abo
20th August 2007, 06:58

Yeah, proper full-race TV coverage. In-car cameras (we carried one), etc. etc. Motors TV job IIRC

Abo
20th August 2007, 07:00
Ok so some races get 'canned' then why did it have to be the fiesta's and not the pick-up trucks?

Pickups: main event
Fiestas: guest series

Would you cancel the last BTCC race because the Clios overran?

timtime
20th August 2007, 10:12
Well unfortunately I couldn't make it to Rockingham yesterday and from the outside looking in it seems as if a lot of the problems could have been avoided with firmer management.

The one thing I would have thought was that perhaps the track day should have been split in two and run before and after the start of racing.

One question if anyone can help how many Red Arrows did the fly by, they overflew Santa Pod but I am sure there were only seven five in an arrow head and then two behind one inverted. I thought I might see them but they veered towards the venue rather than the flightpath I would have expected.

Regards

Tim

shake'N'bake
20th August 2007, 10:35
hi new to forums so bare with me..
myself and the family had yet another great day at the rock. But i must admit the fiesta drivers could of made there protest in a better way. But i think it was all down to the curfew and this should have been made clear if it was..

shake'N'bake
20th August 2007, 10:47
myself and the family had another great day at the rock..
i think the fiesta drivers could have made there protest in a better way..
if was due to a curfew this should have been made clear to all to avoid any dissapointment....

acorn
20th August 2007, 11:58
i'm going to make an assumption here and that is that a few representative fiesta drivers were NOT taken round the circuit to show them how wet it was and why it was felt BY THE OFFICIALS to be unsafe. the representatives could then have reported back to the rest and let them make a decision with the proviso that if a safety car was called out then the race would end there and then.

i sympathise with the fiesta drivers but they did get a race on saturday so it wasn't a completely wasted weekend.

here's hoping that rockingham take note of where these water traps are and (being owned by a construction firm that will annually hold a construction industry show on site) will be able to remedy the problem asap. it wouldn't hurt their credentials any.

ps how much water was in the proper lake as it always appears to be empty when i go.

pps i hope the tv crew were able to get enough pickup footage for it still to be aired, i'm missing seeing them in the flesh.

Jordygirl
20th August 2007, 11:59
the people i feel real sorry for are ghigley and all the hard working marshalls out there in the pooring rain with no thanks who must of been abit confused, 1 minite infield, next minite oval then nothing!, keep up the good work lads and lasses, dont matter if it was the weather, rs boys or out of time without you lot there would be no reason.
So a BIG THANKYOU to you all.

Thanks for kind words. It was a bit confusing being held at T4 gate receiving conflicting information, race on - race off !!!! But hey ho, and as for getting wet, that is written into the job description of a marshal :rotflmao:

Jordygirl
20th August 2007, 12:09
I could see 3 puddles from my seats, 1 big puddle on the pit exit area, 1 just out of turn 2 and 1 on the run into piff paff, both small. If there were others, that would genuinely have effected the race, i'd love to know where they were. Given that we were racing 30 minutes earlier in a monsoon, i find it odd that a couple of puddles is enough to cancel a race completely!

There was also a river running across the track just before Tarzan , it reminded me of the river at The Old Hair Pin at Donington at the BTCC meeting last month !!! :laugh:

Reynard
20th August 2007, 12:27
Mmmmm, just going through my photos - have quite a number with the Fiesta drivers on track during this incident. Am beginning to wonder whether anyone may wish to find them useful... :s

earnhardt8
20th August 2007, 13:52
I saw Ian Brown after talking to the Fiesta drivers and he looked like he'd rather be somewhere else! I think if the Fiesta drivers didn't protest, or atleast not protest on track, the end of the day would have been better.

Just wondering which of the two officials that talked to the fiesta drivers was Ian Brown,the larger or the smaller of the two?

Speedworx
20th August 2007, 14:23
In future all support series should be at the end of the day. Get all the Pick up races and SCSA races done. Thats what the majority of people go to see. Not the support races.

Nick Brad
20th August 2007, 15:49
Trouble with doing that is it leaves no turn around time. I certainly wouldn't want to do 3 hrs+ of spotting if I was double shifting. The other problem is, the support series was what most people went to see this time, even though it sounds like we've converted some people up in the stands.

Ask Stanty what would have happened if he had 45 mins to turn his truck around yesterday, bearing in mind Sonny likes them lined up half an hr before they go out.

Redmond500
20th August 2007, 16:12
What did the Fiesta driver's actually do?

Nick Brad
20th August 2007, 16:24
Basically upon being told that they couldn't race, they went and jumped over the pit wall and stood under the gantry hurling abuse at anyone in their reach, (unfortunately Chigley was directly in their line of fire).

Chigley
20th August 2007, 16:49
Thank you for your words of support. :)

I can't and won't comment on the incident apart from to say that whatever was said it was water off a ducks back. Pun fully intended ;)

Ian

Redmond500
20th August 2007, 17:25
Ok Nick, thanks.. I didn't see this this happen.

Glad they didn't phase you Ian.. ;)

The Pits!
20th August 2007, 17:44
Thank you for your words of support. :)

I can't and won't comment on the incident apart from to say that whatever was said it was water off a ducks back. Pun fully intended ;)

Ian

Quack Quack (one duck to another)

#65 Rules
20th August 2007, 18:31
As a fan of pickups and 'SCSA' - this is the second meeting in a row that has ended farcically! If the above are the main events, then the BRSCC should schedule accordingly! Having paid 15 quid for only half a day's racing, ( I didn't turn up to see the boy racers parade in the morning) I don't want some Fiesta boys wasting my time!

Learn the lessons BRSCC - and get it right next time!

shake'N'bake
20th August 2007, 19:00
In future all support series should be at the end of the day. Get all the Pick up races and SCSA races done. Thats what the majority of people go to see. Not the support races.
I think if all the put's and v8's are done in the morning the circuit would loose out on consesions as most people would leave at lunch...

Speedworx
20th August 2007, 19:03
I think if all the put's and v8's are done in the morning the circuit would loose out on consesions as most people would leave at lunch...

Then Rockingham needs better support races. So far they have all been pretty rubbish this season, imo.

I quite often find myself talking a walk while they are on.

shake'N'bake
20th August 2007, 19:15
Then Rockingham needs better support races. So far they have all been pretty rubbish this season, imo.

I quite often find myself talking a walk while they are on.
i agree with you on that. think it boils down to the same old thing BRSCC and underfunding.
(nothing against BRSCC)

jimmylad
20th August 2007, 21:22
I have to say I left early, mainly because it looked like it was going to chuck it down and beacause i was tired. Only heard what had happened when i come on here. I can imagine how bad it was if my drive home was anything to go by. I was on the m6 doing 50-60 and could not see a damn thing. But the three things i will say is, one i enjoyed walking around the rs owners club bit, and thought that with it being so big it desvered it's own day. Two i thought the pick up truck race was a bit stop start but very exciting, or me and some others on turn 4 where getting into it. And three is there anyway that rockingham can organise its own events, like msv do? Other wise i agree with the sentiments on here, it was a big shame but something i don't think can be pinned on one thing or another.

The Pits!
20th August 2007, 21:29

And, as the PUT's are now the 'premier' series, they have the 'Premier' spot -

i.e. the Last Race Of The Day

work it out :)

shake'N'bake
20th August 2007, 22:01
at the end of the day we dont know what goes on behind the scenes and explanations seem a bit short comming and its the teams and the fans that are loosing out.....

Stuart26
20th August 2007, 22:49
Couldnt understand why they changed from oval to infield with all the work involved moving Marsalls and everything just for two races then have to change it all back again just didnt make sence. Penalise the V8's by docking them 5 laps for taking too long to change round seems someone was starting to panic early on.Having to sit numb with boredom all morning while track day boys went round and round on what was supposed to be a"RACE DAY". Think about it regulars there was to be 6 races we have had days with many more formulas and stunt shows and it worked everything got completed before curfew. Me thinks money and track day boys had something to do with it,and ALL racers took second place yesterday. Rain and cancelled races i can handle, just, being that i am an SCSA season pass holder.Bad organisation and organisers i cant deal with.Oh and silly jobs worth crowd control people as well but thats another story.

Sorry to go on but i feel better know not

Stuart

shake'N'bake
20th August 2007, 23:03
you have a point about track boys and money. I believe you do have to pay up front for your track time on a track day bet the rsoc was demanding there track time mmmm

kjb
20th August 2007, 23:38
you have a point about track boys and money. I believe you do have to pay up front for your track time on a track day bet the rsoc was demanding there track time mmmm

one of the ford lads told me he paid 120quid for the weekend of track day runnabout at the weekend! good or bad im not sure!

racing59
21st August 2007, 00:58
£120 for the trackday was about on-par for half a day's activity. It's usually around the £200/day mark.

Now, nobody has really commented on what the RS Owners Club people thought.
Well...

Probably the most "powerful" section is the RS500 Register, here's a linky to their forum...

http://bbs.rsownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1180369#post1180369

Now, reading that, no mention of the racing, just a love of the facility.

I would say that they want to come back.

Now, with some careful planning, it could be done better, making a mega-weekend for them, a bigger weekend for us all.
My thoughts, following this weekend's schedule issues are to make it a three day event.

Friday Morning - General Test - 2hrs Infield, 2hrs Oval
Friday Afternoon - V8 & PuT free practice, and first qualifying.

Saturday Morning - Trackday to 12:00- with V8 & PuT having 15min warm-up to 1300.
Saturday Afternoon - Road Course Qualifying - then V8 & PuT second qualifying with something to spice it up.
1500 to 1800 Trackday concludes.

Sunday Morning - 0900 to 0945 - Oval Passenger Rides for charity
0945 to 1015 - Oval Parade Laps - Different RS models for each parade
1015 to 1230 - Road Course racing
1230 to 1330 - Luncheon - with some stunty display stuff on the start-finish line, or a band (a name, not a no-hoper, someone who can play live! (Motorhead?)) on the pit building roof, or both!
1330 to 1700 - Oval Racing - unless it rains, in which case the deck may get shuffled. IF the circuit has to be reconfigured - there needs to be some sort of display to keep the punters interested, as its a Ford day, how about something Ford powered doing some demo's?

That's my idea of how it should be tackled.

And then, the next trick is to get another big show tied to the venue. Truckfest? We have trucks, only our drivers don't camp out in the back of them cooking tins of HP All Day Breakfast on a camping stove watching Eastenders on a 5" black'n'white portable telly! (well, not all of them!)

And we must have at least one Tractor Pulling event up there.

No, not TractorBoy trying to pull totty, but serious mad horsepower!!

Rob.

LessThanSte
21st August 2007, 08:20
pulling a horse instead? :o

sounds good though. Interesting to see those comments on the RSOC site, perhaps they realised the Fiesta people wernt right really. That can only be a good thing!

Nick Brad
21st August 2007, 09:56
I'm sure you meant to put in a lunch break on saturday, didn't you Rob. :D

On another note, I have some members of The Imp Club wanting to know how they go about securing some parade laps and or a display at one of the SCSA meetings, (BRSCC at Rockingham if you insist, ;) ) who do they need to talk to?

Tiesse
21st August 2007, 10:45

On another note, I have some members of The Imp Club wanting to know how they go about securing some parade laps and or a display at one of the SCSA meetings, (BRSCC at Rockingham if you insist, ;) ) who do they need to talk to?

I would suggest Dominic Ostrowski

[email:1uxwtgau]dominic@brscc.co.uk[/email:1uxwtgau]

Nick Brad
21st August 2007, 13:24
I just wanted to be sure, wasn't certain whether it was BRSCC who organised that side of things or Rockingham.

racing59
21st August 2007, 15:31

Why? Just because WE have Pizza, doesn't mean I have to share it, does it?
( you just can't get the staff!! ) :D

1300 to 1400 for lunch on Saturday.

Rob.

JDPower
21st August 2007, 19:52
One thing that hasn't been said, maybe it was just around us, but where we were sat in the Rock building it was the PuT boys getting the criticism as people thought it was them on track checking conditions. So they were getting blamed for there not being any more racing.

Plus I don't see how anyone can blame the weather for the timetable problems - we were forecast torrential rain all day yet we had a significant part of the day dry. IMO it was another example of poor organistaion by the BRSCC (who really should have got the hang of running race meetings by now). Not only that but again they come across as just having no b*lls or power in situations like we had at the end of the day. Can you imagine what Alan Gow would have done if this had happened at a BTCC meeting?

Reynard
21st August 2007, 22:30
Can you imagine what Alan Gow would have done if this had happened at a BTCC meeting?

Somehow I don't think the Fiesta drivers would have even got the chance to stage this kind of a protest at a BTCC meeting... The chances are they'd have been apprehended before they got anywhere near the pit wall, let alone being allowed to clamber over it. :s

That aside, it's disgraceful that they took matters into their own hands. It does not set a good example and is totally unsporting.

Old Stock Nut
21st August 2007, 22:44
A perfect example of the fine line we tread with our access to the pits and the drivers. If we behaved in that way, we would lose that access and the series would be he poorer for it. Because we don't, they don't normally need the sort of security necessary to deal with the average "asbo" owners.

Reynard
21st August 2007, 22:54
Indeed, I agree with you totally OSN.

Our lot (whether pickup or V8) know that the hot pit lane and pit wall is pretty well much out of bounds when track action is either imminent or ongoing aside from the minimum number of crew to change wheels / effect repairs.

Mind, a lesson on safety drummed into you by o-sensei Carter isn't easily forgotten... ;)

PapaJuliet
21st August 2007, 23:05
Plus I don't see how anyone can blame the weather for the timetable problems - we were forecast torrential rain all day yet we had a significant part of the day dry. IMO it was another example of poor organistaion by the BRSCC

In my opinion we could not have run the 2 V8 races on the Sunday morning. Until late morning we on our post were doubtful the races would run at all and it was only at lunchtime that the conditions on the oval looked as though there might be a possibility that the V8 races would run. In fact we were lucky and the V8s ran in almost the only "window of opportunity".

So given that the timetable was altered to aid the only series which could not run in the wet how exactly do you suggest that the timetable could have been arranged to avoid problems with the lakes and rivers on the infield circuit?

O/T the timetable disruption was no worse than at Donington for the BTCC meeting where if it hadn't been for the (much) later curfew we would probably not got many more than 4 races in after the weather conspired with the TV schedules.

PJ

Bobster
22nd August 2007, 10:36
From what I can gather from fellow ST Owners (invited by the RSOC) yes they got wet BUT had a good day.
May I also point out we(ST Owners Club) were invited as a RS natioanls day and the fact there was racing too was a bonus.
Some comment was made as to the lack of Fiesta races - (biased by them being members!) - nevertheless the reports I`ve heard are good,and reassuringly people enjoyed the day and would go back.
On a personal note I would have liked to have been there but previous commitments and family prevented it.

I will make the effort next year should they decide to hold this event again,lets hope whoever made the decisions/balls up/whatever will learn from the experience and move onwards and upwards.

Chigley
22nd August 2007, 12:10
Many thanks for your comments Bobster, that's very reassuring to read them.

:)
Ian

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 12:43
I've read most of the posts in this thread and it's pretty clear that the majority think the Fiesta's are the bad boys.

Some points to consider.

The race meeting was running late but no previous races had their race time cut.

The organisers rearanged the race order during the course of the afternoon and put another race on ahead of the Fiesta's (I think it was a dry racing only Nascar type with BIG SPONSORSHIP and that the rain was foreseen) [edit - We have blinkers too, I'm not interested in watching a bunch of guys who can't turn right] Had the Fiestas had their original slot they would have had a dry race.

As soon as the Fiesta's had passed the first hairpin on their sighting lap the barriers were being lifted into place for the PUT's, the organiser already had no intention of allowing them to race.

Different teams and drivers were told different stories.

I hope AMG TV caught the exchanges between the officials and drivers because there already seems to be a diference in opinion as to what was said and done. AMG also are covering whole Fiesta XR Championship and Ford Saloons Championship

Considering the costs involved I can understand the drivers frustration and even the BRSCC awarding a refund of part of the entry fee is just a drip in a bucket.

Saturdays race was equally wet with close racing and no major accidents.

While I don't condone their actions, I can understand them.

PS None of my team took part in the on-track protest, but are protesting through the BRSCC, Rockingham Management and the MSA about our treatment

pickup
22nd August 2007, 12:59
(I think it was a dry racing only Nascar type with BIG SPONSORSHIP and that the rain was foreseen) [edit - We have blinkers too, I'm not interested in watching a bunch of guys who can't turn right

"Big Sponsorship" and "guys who cant turn right" might be worth a response from some SCSA people!

Tiesse
22nd August 2007, 13:07
(I think it was a dry racing only Nascar type with BIG SPONSORSHIP and that the rain was foreseen) [edit - We have blinkers too, I'm not interested in watching a bunch of guys who can't turn right]
None of my team took part in the on-track protest, but are protesting through the BRSCC, Rockingham Management and the MSA about our treatment

No.1 BIG SPONSORSHIP - The chance would be a fine thing! All you are proving by these comments on the Mac Tools V8 Trophy series is your ignorance of the racing that is one of the two the main events of the BRSCC@Rockingham meetings that the Fiestas were a guest support series for.

No.2 What are you referring to as 'your treatment?'

I can't personally comment on what went on at the weekend as I wasn't there, however, if the organisers and/or the safety team deem it unsafe to race on the infield circuit, there is no option but to go with their decision. Both health & safety & insurance wise, the Fiesta guys wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they continued to race despite being advised otherwise.

The Rockingham circuit & event organisers etc. also have a duty of care to those that race on the track. To allow racing of the Fiestas given the decision that it was unsafe to do so would have potentially been commercial suicide!

I am sure from what I have read, that it was a minority that has blighted the reputation of the Fiesta series which is disappointing. From what you have posted you & your team have behaved in the correct manner & I think that you should be commended for that!

Whilst obviously coinciding the Ford racing with the RSOC event, all series (other than the V8s & PUTs) are as there as support races to the pick up trucks & Mac Tools V8 racing as this past meeting was a scheduled BRSCC racing meeting that happened to also have the RS Owners Club event at Rockingham on the same day!

The only series that cannot run in the wet is the Mac Tools V8 Trophy & it is not uncommon to adjust the racing schedule to try & accomodate all racing (tongue slightly in cheek with that comment!).

Unfortunately I think we all have to put this one behind us, hopefully learn from the experience & move on.

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 14:00
No.1 BIG SPONSORSHIP - The chance would be a fine thing! All you are proving by these comments on the Mac Tools V8 Trophy series is your ignorance of the racing that is one of the two the main events of the BRSCC@Rockingham meetings that the Fiestas were a guest support series for. I am ignorant about this series, 10 cars in a procession around the same piece of tarmac meeting after meeting...... As for a support series the Fiesta XR Challenge is a national televised championship. Guests we may have been.

No.2 What are you referring to as 'your treatment?'Lack of information, comunication

I can't personally comment on what went on at the weekend as I wasn't there, however, if the organisers and/or the safety team deem it unsafe to race on the infield circuit, there is no option but to go with their decision. Both health & safety & insurance wise, the Fiesta guys wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they continued to race despite being advised otherwise.

The Rockingham circuit & event organisers etc. also have a duty of care to those that race on the track. To allow racing of the Fiestas given the decision that it was unsafe to do so would have potentially been commercial suicide! I was, but I agree with the duty of care etc. but had the Fiesta's been given their slot the race would have been in the dry.
The drivers had had a wet race on Saturday (with heavier rain at the time - not just a wet track) with no major incidents and were now familiar with the lines required in the wet.

I am sure from what I have read, that it was a minority that has blighted the reputation of the Fiesta series which is disappointing. I'm not so sure about it being a minority, from where I was watching it looked more like a majority or more than 50%

Whilst obviously coinciding the Ford racing with the RSOC event, all series (other than the V8s & PUTs) are as there as support races to the pick up trucks & Mac Tools V8 racing as this past meeting was a scheduled BRSCC racing meeting that happened to also have the RS Owners Club event at Rockingham on the same day!
RSOC were only there to admire each others polish and shiny bits, most didn't even watch ANY races. Aren't the Fiesta's BRSCC members then?

The only series that cannot run in the wet is the Mac Tools V8 Trophy & it is not uncommon to adjust the racing schedule to try & accomodate all racing (tongue slightly in cheek with that comment!).

If they spent less time preening themselves in front of the crowd they'd have plenty time for the race. In the time they go through all their pre-race stuff we could have finished a race. Part of the frustration was due to delays that were not race related just poor timing.
For instance why not have the next race assembled in the paddock ready to go before the end of the running race. While the podiums, presentations and clean up is going on they could be getting lined up on the grid ready to go.

Reynard
22nd August 2007, 14:45
I am ignorant about this series, 10 cars in a procession around the same piece of tarmac meeting after meeting......

I'd like to hear you say that to the V8 drivers concerned. We didn't diss your racing, it was pretty entertaining on the Saturday. In fact, most of us come from circuit racing backgrounds and quite enjoy watching club meetings, but we happen to prefer American-style oval racing.

We're only saying that your series in general should have behaved far more responsibly than they did.

If they spent less time preening themselves in front of the crowd they'd have plenty time for the race. In the time they go through all their pre-race stuff we could have finished a race. Part of the frustration was due to delays that were not race related just poor timing.

The razmatazz is an integral part of a pickup & V8 race meeting - it wouldn't be the same without it. It's fun, lighthearted and we all enjoy it. Plus, it gives us an identity over and above a standard "churn em out" race meet.

For instance why not have the next race assembled in the paddock ready to go before the end of the running race. While the podiums, presentations and clean up is going on they could be getting lined up on the grid ready to go.

If there were enough marshals & safety crew, maybe. But then no one can be held accountable for the fact that some incidents and clear ups took a fair amount of time - especially since Stanty was put on a spine board as a precaution. Surely you are not suggesting that safety should be compromised in order to get a fast turnaround???

melonhead
22nd August 2007, 14:47
The race meeting was running late but no previous races had their race time cut.

This is incorrect. The 2nd Mac Tools V8 Trophy race had 5 laps cut from their scheduled race distance.

The drivers had had a wet race on Saturday (with heavier rain at the time - not just a wet track) with no major incidents

Forgive if my memory fails me here as I was occupied doing other things at the time, but as I recall the Saturday Fiesta Race was red-flagged at one point.

Regards,

Matt

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 14:53
If there were enough marshals & safety crew, maybe. But then no one can be held accountable for the fact that some incidents and clear ups took a fair amount of time - especially since Stanty was put on a spine board as a precaution. Surely you are not suggesting that safety should be compromised in order to get a fast turnaround???
Never in a thousand years, but having the cars already lined up to go in the paddock would not compromise safety. If the race was stopped for an accident they just hold position until it's dealt with.

Jordygirl
22nd August 2007, 14:57

All the V8s are assembled before their race, the Pick Ups especially, are waiting and ready to go for a full half hour. As for being lined up on the grid ready to go, if you hadn't noticed, these cars do several laps behind the Safety Car before going on a rolling start.

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 15:04
This is incorrect. The 2nd Mac Tools V8 Trophy race had 5 laps cut from their scheduled race distance.
My mistake, I apologise

Forgive if my memory fails me here as I was occupied doing other things at the time, but as I recall the Saturday Fiesta Race was red-flagged at one point.

Regards,

MattNot to my recollection, I was stood shivering and wet through on top of the garages hoping it would be. You may be thinking of the Ford Saloons

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 15:08
All the V8s are assembled before their race, the Pick Ups especially, are waiting and ready to go for a full half hour. As for being lined up on the grid ready to go, if you hadn't noticed, these cars do several laps behind the Safety Car before going on a rolling start.
I had noticed. It's just as easy to start from the grid to follow a pace car as it is from the pitlane

Tiesse
22nd August 2007, 15:39
I had noticed. It's just as easy to start from the grid to follow a pace car as it is from the pitlane

Unless there's a bunch of ****** in the way!

Reynard
22nd August 2007, 15:55

Just one thing you do need to bear in mind - these cars are not set up in the same way as saloon cars. They are very different animals to what you are used to and the start procedures for the V8s and trucks are therefore different.

Likewise, the procedures they use are typical to the primary circuit layout - which you will also see on any other oval anywhere in the world. ;)

Old Stock Nut
22nd August 2007, 16:19
If they spent less time preening themselves in front of the crowd they'd have plenty time for the race. In the time they go through all their pre-race stuff we could have finished a race.

I think this conversation is great and I applaud Charlie giving us his views so frankly. The build-up to the V8 and PUTs is, as Reynard said, all part of the series. Oval racing is all about the fans and the driver identity. The racing is for the benfit of the fans, not the drivers. It is an entertainment event with big fast cars. The fans are not drivers and will never be in a position to drive one of these monsters, let alone own one, but they can belong to the series by supporting their particular teams and drivers.

The drivers give complete access to their cars and pits unlike most other motor sport events and we have the frequencies of their spotter/car radios so that we can listen to them whilst they are racing - another difference - no encryption and publishing frequencies openly.

Those differences sum up oval racing and it is easy to see how dedicated petrolheads do not understand the attraction of left-hand roundy-roundy racing. By the way, Charlie, the PUTs are averaging around 120 and the Vs are over 140 MPH and they don't have any nice soft gravel to hide in if it all goes wrong. And believe me, a disintegrating right disc and caliper going into Turn 2 at over 150 is a bit off putting to say the least - just ask Tony King, one of our privateers from a couple of years ago!

Chigley
22nd August 2007, 16:48

I'll make one comment on this but I'm not being drawn into the debate.

Sam, thank you for contributing to the discussion but an essential safety factor is that each V8 and PuT is in direct contact with their spotter. This is another peculiarity of Oval racing, each PuT is not allowed out onto the Oval until 2 way communication is confirmed between the driver and spootter by the Chief Spotter and Pit lane official. That is why the cars start from the pitlane and not from the grid.

Ian

Reynard
22nd August 2007, 17:18
By the way, Charlie, the PUTs are averaging around 120 and the Vs are over 140 MPH and they don't have any nice soft gravel to hide in if it all goes wrong. And believe me, a disintegrating right disc and caliper going into Turn 2 at over 150 is a bit off putting to say the least - just ask Tony King, one of our privateers from a couple of years ago!

I believe this is the incident you are on about, OSN - knew I had the sequence lurking somewhere...

http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/wittyfiles/pics/web_galleries/2005_scsa_02/pages/NR1F7667.htm
http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/wittyfiles/pics/web_galleries/2005_scsa_02/pages/NR1F7668.htm
http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/wittyfiles/pics/web_galleries/2005_scsa_02/pages/NR1F7669.htm
http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/wittyfiles/pics/web_galleries/2005_scsa_02/pages/NR1F7670.htm
http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/wittyfiles/pics/web_galleries/2005_scsa_02/pages/NR1F7683.htm

And not to leave the pickups out, here's Steve Pearce getting it wrong last year:

http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/wittyfiles/pics/web_galleries/2006_scsa_01/pages/NR1F1178.htm

As OSN said, there's nowhere to hide on the oval when things go pear-shaped. The only choice is whether you see the wreck coming or you don't...

english4ever
22nd August 2007, 18:10
For instance why not have the next race assembled in the paddock ready to go before the end of the running race. While the podiums, presentations and clean up is going on they could be getting lined up on the grid ready to go.[/QUOTE]

Both pickups and V8's are ready to go, We line up in pitlane waiting to go out and the pick ups wait patiently behind the garages to go out, We turn all engines off and do not move until the the people on the podium get their trophys and have their interviews as courtesy to them, which would be a bit hard to get behind a pace car on start grid. And as for just turning left i think you should get in one of the cars and have a go then get out and say the same thing.

Pepsi-Cola-Kid
22nd August 2007, 18:22
The razmatazz is an integral part of a pickup & V8 race meeting - it wouldn't be the same without it. It's fun, lighthearted and we all enjoy it. Plus, it gives us an identity over and above a standard "churn em out" race meet.

I do have to say I agree about all the pre-race stuff, at time I wish they would just get on with the racing. The rock chicks, and all the rest just waste time to be honest and to me it's boring and unnecessary (that's my opinion anyway). I wouldn't think anyone goes to see all the extras they go for the racing. I enjoy the racing both the pick-up's & SCSA (well if you can call 10 cars in a procession a race), but it would be better if they just got on with it.

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 18:27
Both pickups and V8's are ready to go, We line up in pitlane waiting to go out and the pick ups wait patiently behind the garages to go out, We turn all engines off and do not move until the the people on the podium get their trophys and have their interviews as courtesy to them, which would be a bit hard to get behind a pace car on start grid.
I stand corrected.

And as for just turning left i think you should get in one of the cars and have a go then get out and say the same thing.
I've enough problems when I hit tyres at 100mph, but if you're offering. :-)
(I'd really have to have a good spanner check after my posts here though). JOKE - I know no one would give me a dodgy motor

Nick Brad
22nd August 2007, 19:20
I'd would just liek to add to this that all the pre race stuff was left out for both Mac Tools races this weekend, the only thing we did was the mandatory 5 laps to allow the tyres to come up to temperature and allow the drivers to acclimatise themselves with the conditions. (A couple of degrees difference in track temps or slight dampness can make a lot of difference in these cars.)

madphotog
22nd August 2007, 19:34
Might have left it a little late to add my bit on the "Big Sponsorship" issue....can anyone name any of the V8's or in Rob's case a V7 that has got a big backer cos we would like to talk to them if they have any spare to run the second Team Networking car.

As for a procession, were you watching the same 2nd V8 race that I was? Duncan Gray gave us all something to watch by waiting for the car to come to him and not fighting in the early stages and dropping back, at one time being in 8th before passing four cars in the last quarter of the race. Great stuff Duncan, gave all us BIG SPONSORS something to cheer. Perhaps they mean that we all could do with loosing some weight :)

madphotog
22nd August 2007, 19:35
Just a final thought seeing the photos that "Reynard" posted.. thanks Witty, I am sure that Duncan will like to be reminded what happens when those "who can only turn left" turn right!!! :dozey:

Speedworx
22nd August 2007, 19:46
I think this conversation is great and I applaud Charlie giving us his views so frankly.

I have also enjoyed reading his thoughts.

The Fiesta drivers are not really the bad guys in all of this. I've seen some of the races on tv and its bloody good racing. I was sad I couldn't be around for the Sat races and was looking forward to the Sun one.

The enemy in all of this is the RS track session that was run until 1:30pm. Had this finished at the scheduled 12:40 (i think it was), we could have pretty much got all the races in.

IF BRSCC insist on having the track day on the racing day. Make sure it finishes early enough to get the racing in. If need be SHORTEN it, don't EXTEND it!

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 19:50
No it didnt simon, it finished, at most 10 minutes late. The red arrows flew past at 13:24, and we were just getting through the end of the introductions, which had taken at least 10 minutes up til that point. There was also a 10 minute wait between the trackday and pickups rolling onto the track as the wall was changed.

pickup
22nd August 2007, 19:58
By the way, Charlie, the PUTs are averaging around 120 and the Vs are over 140 MPH and they don't have any nice soft gravel to hide in if it all goes wrong.

Quick trucks average 130mph +.

Chigley
22nd August 2007, 20:41
All of you please lighten up and put brain into gear before posting. Just how long does it take do you think to pick up all the marshals that were required to man the necessary posts on both the inside and outside of the oval, let the safety teams, recovery, medical, and gantry who had been covering the RS session have a break. Or doesn't that matter :mad:

The RS session ended dead on time, I know I had the stop watch running!

You guys are starting to run away with yourselves with regard to rumour, speculation, guessing, half truths ................ It's becoming wearisome and a repeat of the moaning and groaning of the gloom and despondant era.

I appreciate you are expressing your view, but IF YOU DON'T KNOW, ASK! don't start griping till you know the facts! You are extraordinary lucky in having officials that will join a debate !!!

I was going to single individuals out for special mention but changed my mind!

Chigley is getting peeved.
:mad:

shake'N'bake
22nd August 2007, 20:48
The drivers give complete access to their cars and pits unlike most other motor sport events and we have the frequencies of their spotter/car radios so that we can listen to them whilst they are racing - another difference - no encryption and publishing frequencies openly.

this one of the things me and the family love about the PuTs and v8s the ability to talk to the teams sit in the cars have pics taken its a credit to the series and the teams and im sure they get satisfaction from this too..

the teams hospitality is second to none and you can quote me on that

racing59
22nd August 2007, 21:23
I have read these emotional comments and would like to respond on some matters.

For those that do not know Rockingham very well, may I put an instructors point of view first.

When it rains, the infield circuit is treacherous beyond belief. To attempt to run a race with a river running through PifPaf and a lake at Tarzan will end in tears. Not to mention the other lakes and rivers around the circuit.

Now back to racing issues...

The Clerk of the Course has a duty of care to ensure that you race in safe conditions, if he didn't and someone had an incident, he could leave the BRSCC open to the courts.

Now, back to the timetable....

Pickup Race 1 started on time.
To save time, the V8 trophy dispensed with their buildup (not for the first time this year to save the timetable), and we started on-time within a minute or two, and finished our two races by 15:28. Due to some confusion, a number of our drivers left their cars after race 1, and that caused a delay in starting race 2. However, we were already told that any such delays would cause us laps, at the rate of one for every minute late getting ready to go. AND, we only did 2 warm-up laps in race 2 instead of 5.

Therefore we also dispensed with a podium ceremony for race 1, also saving time. Finally, with no grid-build up (assembling cars, before running off behind the pace car), we saved even more time (probably 5 minutes at least).
(say thankyou pointless NASCARs that don't turn right)

That left 1hr 30mins to run two races and start the other, one of 30mins and two of 20mins.

Easy.

Just so long as there are no time consuming red flag incidents in those races, which leave you with one of those races running over the curfew, and thus not permitting you to start the last one....

I'm sure you've raced at Mallory where the curfew there often causes races to be cut short, or even canned. I have. Did I get bitter with Don Truman every time it happened? No. Did I make an on track protest. No. I read the final instructions which stated that racing must cease at curfew. End of.

All this talk about headline championships and support races, regardless of what my good friend Mr Tim Watson's company part pays for the TV coverage of your series, along with Dees as it goes as a package (Mill Street Motors & Dees), you should also know that Mr Sonny Howard also paid a kings ransom to have the Pickups televised for that meeting.

Never the less. At the moment, the racing at Rockingham is headlined by the Pickups and the Mac Tools V8 Trophy. The latter only races there because nobody has had the foresight to build another 1/2mile+ banked oval in the UK (yet), and for safety reasons (as proven by people who have been doing this much longer than any of us) does not run in the rain.

And processional, well, look at the data on the MST site, and you'll see that there was quite a bit of overtaking going on.
Both the 31 and the 99 cars made considerable progress through the field, the 79 car had a good start but slipped back, and the 78 car led for much of it before slipping back in the closing laps. There were other movers and shakers too.

I would challenge you to get in one of our cars, better still, a ride in the Rockingham two-seater would open your eyes (it opens some people's bowels!) to the world of "turning left".

Had I got "mega sponsorship", I'd even be happy to pay for you to do Rookie Training. But I haven't. I run mostly out of my own pocket, I'd say that some of your colleagues in the Dee's Fiesta series have bigger budgets than me, and I know that people like Steve Scott in the Ford Saloons throw far more money at their engines than I expect to spend for a entire seasons running, including my engine!. Domino's sponsor me to the tune of some food for my team, the occasional donation towards fuel costs, and some vouchers that we raffle off to raise money for the air ambulance charities. It puts a big name on the car, which I hope helps to raise the profile of the series, so that one day, the big sponsors do come back.

You are more than welcome to come to meet us at Motorfest at Rockingham over the weekend of 14/15 September, and you can see what we do from a different angle. The kettle will be on!

Rob.

racing59
22nd August 2007, 21:35
All of you please lighten up and put brain into gear before posting. Just how long does it take do you think to pick up all the marshals that were required to man the necessary posts on both the inside and outside of the oval, let the safety teams, recovery, medical, and gantry who had been covering the RS session have a break. Or doesn't that matter :mad:

Let's tell them - 15 minutes with the wind behind you...

The RS session ended dead on time, I know I had the stop watch running!
Chigley is getting peeved.
:mad:

I have covered most of it in my previous post.

In a scouse voice.... "Calm down Calm down! Eh!! Eh!!"

Abo
22nd August 2007, 21:37
PS None of my team took part in the on-track protest, but are protesting through the BRSCC, Rockingham Management and the MSA about our treatment

Which is of course the correct way to do it! Good luck :D

bravheart
22nd August 2007, 21:57
[quote="charliethornton"]

'Yes' Some points to consider!!!!!!

The organisers rearanged the race order during the course of the afternoon and put another race on ahead of the Fiesta's (I think it was a dry racing only Nascar type with BIG SPONSORSHIP and that the rain was foreseen) [edit - We have blinkers too, I'm not interested in watching a bunch of guys who can't turn right] Had the Fiestas had their original slot they would have had a dry race.

The answer to your above comments is: 1. You dont have to watch the V8's, 2. BIG SPONSORSHIP? Where? i would really like some!!!! and 3. A bunch of drivers who can't turn right? You really must check your facts about the drivers before making stupid slanderous quotes like this!

Heres 1 for you Mr Thornton! "You provide the cars and i for 1 would be more than happy to challenge any 1 of your drivers"! then lets see who carnt turn right!!!!!!!!

JovialJooles
22nd August 2007, 22:10
Is it true that the offending Fiesta drivers are going to appear at the Highland Games?

Reynard
22nd August 2007, 22:10
Keep your hair on folks, please...

bravheart
22nd August 2007, 22:20
[quote="charliethornton"]I am ignorant about this series, 10 cars in a procession around the same piece of tarmac meeting after meeting...

I tell you what Mr Thornton, Why dont You sit next to me in the 2 seater SCSA Car around the Rockingham Oval before making comments!!!!

If they spent less time preening themselves in front of the crowd they'd have plenty time for the race. In the time they go through all their pre-race stuff

THE V8's did not get any build-up Thanks!!!! We went straight out behind the pacecar!

And ......WE didnt jump over the pit wall and winge like kids after we had our race laps cut short!

racing59
22nd August 2007, 22:23
No, I want to take him for a ride in the two seater.

Dunc, read my post, it answers it all without me getting airy!

Rob.

turn 4 mad
22nd August 2007, 22:36
[quote="english4ever"]
Both pickups and V8's are ready to go, We line up in pitlane waiting to go out and the pick ups wait patiently behind the garages to go out, We turn all engines off and do not move until the the people on the podium get their trophys and have their interviews as courtesy to them, which would be a bit hard to get behind a pace car on start grid. And as for just turning left i think you should get in one of the cars and have a go then get out and say the same thing.[/QUOTE

Well said lee.

Speedworx
22nd August 2007, 22:40
No it didnt simon, it finished, at most 10 minutes late. The red arrows flew past at 13:24, and we were just getting through the end of the introductions, which had taken at least 10 minutes up til that point. There was also a 10 minute wait between the trackday and pickups rolling onto the track as the wall was changed.

Read your program Steve!

It was originally scheduled to finish BEFORE 1pm and got extended to 1:30!

WHY!?

Chigley
22nd August 2007, 22:45
Read your program Steve!

WHY!?

Guys, guys. Simmer down! Your programmes are printed days before the event and the timetable is liable to change right up to the red lights going out. Your programmes are a guide not 100% fact

Reynard
22nd August 2007, 22:50
Guys, guys. Simmer down! Your programmes are printed days before the event and the timetable is liable to change right up to the red lights going out. Your programmes are a guide not 100% fact

Thanks Ian.

Folks, if you can't cool it, I will lock this thread until you do. Please keep it civilized - I don't wish to have to keep reminding you. You've kept it clean until now, will you please carry on keeping it clean.

Speedworx
22nd August 2007, 22:54
I've made my point. I'll shut up now.

charliethornton
22nd August 2007, 23:04
Ok OK I'm just a GOM (Grumpy old man) who doesn't know any better.

Before I say too much more can I add that these thoughts are my own and in no way reflect the views team or of the drivers that I work with.

I would challenge you to get in one of our cars, better still, a ride in the Rockingham two-seater would open your eyes (it opens some people's bowels!) to the world of "turning left".

Had I got "mega sponsorship", I'd even be happy to pay for you to do Rookie Training. Rob,

I'd love to take you up on that. Just what would it take to put my money where my mouth is. How much is it for rookie training? How much for the 2 seater ride. What are the qualifications needed etc.

Next year I will be celebrating my 10th year in motorsport as a driver and I may just be able to put something together.

I run mostly out of my own pocket, I'd say that some of your colleagues in the Dee's Fiesta series have bigger budgets than me, and I know that people like Steve Scott in the Ford Saloons throw far more money at their engines than I expect to spend for a entire seasons running, including my engine!. Domino's sponsor me to the tune of some food for my team, the occasional donation towards fuel costs, and some vouchers that we raffle off to raise money for the air ambulance charities. It puts a big name on the car, which I hope helps to raise the profile of the series, so that one day, the big sponsors do come back. Forgive my ignorance, you just appear to be well sponsored. The drivers I work with are on a shoestring budget and I donate my time and pay my own travel costs to help them out.

You are more than welcome to come to meet us at Motorfest at Rockingham over the weekend of 14/15 September, and you can see what we do from a different angle. The kettle will be on!

Rob. I wish I could, just to try and smooth things over, but I'll be racing at Knockhill in the Scottish XR2's that weekend.

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 23:11
Read your program Steve!

WHY!?

You have clearly lost all concept of time Simon. We were looking at our watches (i know you were because i was asking you every 5 minutes!) whilst the pickups buildup was taking place to see if the red arrows were going to arrive at the right moment (and they were ahead of our schedule!).

I dont know where your getting this 1:30 from. Also yes, as Chigley points out, the programme is entirely a guide, printed days, if not weeks before the event and cant entirely be relied upon. Infact, theres a message at the bottom of the timetable saying 'subject to alteration' or something to that effect.

Besides, in another post, Tiesse put this message;

RS Owner Club Members
Track Time
09:30 - 13:20

Pickup Truck Racing
RACE 5
13:30 - 14:00 35 laps

MAC Tools V8 Trophy
RACE 6
14:15 - 14:45 35 laps

Mill Street Motors Ford Saloon Car Championship
RACE 7
15:00 - 15:20

http://www.dees.co.uk Ford Fiesta Championship
RACE 8
15:30 - 15:50

Pickup Truck Racing
RACE 9
16:05 - 16:35 35 laps

MAC Tools V8 Trophy
RACE 10
16:45 - 17:15 35 laps

So we were ahead of schedule, if anything!

(btw, the threats of locking threads is getting a bit tedious. Bit of a power trip, me thinks!)

Chigley
22nd August 2007, 23:20
(btw, the threats of locking threads is getting a bit tedious. Bit of a power trip, me thinks!)

So you say, but lack of forum access may cool you down a bit :( Tempt the Mods at your peril!

turn 4 mad

I was just thinking the same, what ever happened to free speach, or have the government put a tax on that too.
i have had my hand slapped before on other threads, so im keeping quiet on this one, but all i will say is we have to move on now, whats done is done, lets look forward to september and see if it runs smoothly. keep smilling!!!

Nick Brad
The forums need to be kept in check, otherwise we return to the situation experienced a while back that nearly destoyed the SCSA forum and possibly the series as well. Not a power trip at all IMO.

turn 4 mad
22nd August 2007, 23:22
So you say, but lack of forum access may cool you down a bit :( Tempt the Mods at your peril!

evening chigley, i hope you have a quiet time next time out-you deserve it.
p.s. weve let kev of now about the tvr's. he he

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 23:22
Well, i know i speak for many others when i say that if theres one thing thats irritates the hell out of me, its forum moderators who ruin perfectly good debates.

The ONLY times moderators should do anything is 1) to deal with spam and 2) removing threats/racist comments.

As yet, i havnt seen either in here, just a lot of hot air

racing59
22nd August 2007, 23:28
Ok OK I'm just a GOM (Grumpy old man) who doesn't know any better.

Before I say too much more can I add that these thoughts are my own and in no way reflect the views team or of the drivers that I work with.

Rob,

I'd love to take you up on that. Just what would it take to put my money where my mouth is. How much is it for rookie training? How much for the 2 seater ride. What are the qualifications needed etc.

Next year I will be celebrating my 10th year in motorsport as a driver and I may just be able to put something together.

Forgive my ignorance, you just appear to be well sponsored. The drivers I work with are on a shoestring budget and I donate my time and pay my own travel costs to help them out.

I wish I could, just to try and smooth things over, but I'll be racing at Knockhill in the Scottish XR2's that weekend.

You have smoothed things over no end!!!

Rookie training varies, it ain't cheap, typically in the 1K mark, but for that you'll get a full day, maybe two (depending on numbers doing it) with classroom stuff, and lots of on-track running to get you up to speed before you have to do at least half a dozen laps consistently under 40seconds (on Avon's) under the watchful gaze of MSA officials before you are allowed to race on the oval.

Rides - you'd need to talk to "The Racing School" if you wanted to come down on a normal "experience day", though it'd be nice if we could get the 2-seater back out on race days like they used to. Rides were typically £30.

If myself or Duncan took you, we'd make sure you had the full effect, and if you ever do - you'll do one of two things after. Want more, or run like hell.
Like I said, it ain't for everyone. We've had former British GT runners run away, and we've seen "well hard" pop stars with brown trousers. My wife, however, loved it (Mike Luck drove that time!).

Rob.

LessThanSte
22nd August 2007, 23:34
Rob, if you can get ahold of the two seater one race weekend, i will gladly pay £30 for a ride. Im sure people would jump at it, though i'd rather the money support the series and help us get more cars/drivers!

turn 4 mad
22nd August 2007, 23:35
we've seen "well hard" pop stars with brown trousers. My wife, however, loved it (Mike Luck drove that time!).

Rob.

that wouldnt be a certain irish gentleman singer would it rob.?
ive done it-and never again, must of been the fact that duncan was driving and when we came in we were down to the canvas on the r/r tyre!!

bravheart
23rd August 2007, 00:06
[quote="charliethornton"]Ok OK I'm just a GOM (Grumpy old man) who doesn't know any better.

Forgive my ignorance, you just appear to be well sponsored. The drivers I work with are on a shoestring budget and I donate my time and pay my own travel costs to help them out.

Mr Thornton,

I was very much of the same opinion as you until i climbed into 1 of these V8's back in August 2004 at Rockingham.

Like you, I to come from a Track background and have been very fortunate to race numerous types of cars from Formula Ford, Formula Ford 2000, Sports 2000, Formula 3, Formula Atlantic, World Sports cars (Group C2) Formula 3000 and F1.

But a V8's on an Oval in full flight (So to speak) there is really nothing quite like it or comes anywhere near it!!! When i was let lose for the 1st time in 1 of these monsters, i thought it was going to be easy? MMmmm WRONG!

These guys have earned my respect over these past few years! its not for the faint hearted, there are No gravel Traps, No Tyre Walls, No Run Off's, Just a Solid Concrete Wall, but hey! where else can you reach average speeds of 140+Mph

Please by all means come along and try for yourself, its and fantastic experience and 1 of which you will never forget, who knows, you may even like it and decide to join us?

They are 1 of the nicest and most welcoming bunch of people to be around both on and off the track.

Maybe we could see you sometime in the future?

bravheart
23rd August 2007, 00:10
Rob, if you can get ahold of the two seater one race weekend, i will gladly pay £30 for a ride. Im sure people would jump at it, though i'd rather the money support the series and help us get more cars/drivers!

Come down to the Rock and say hello!!! we should be able to fit you in this Saturday!!!

bravheart
23rd August 2007, 00:13
ive done it-and never again, must of been the fact that duncan was driving and when we came in we were down to the canvas on the r/r tyre!!

Oh yes but it was a good canvas though He! He! and as for the other Gent? he didnt even stay around to sign my photo?

JDPower
23rd August 2007, 03:06
Rob, if you can get ahold of the two seater one race weekend, i will gladly pay £30 for a ride. Im sure people would jump at it
Indeed, I never did get round to having a two seater ride and IMO Rockingham near killed it off when they doubled the price to £90-100 a year or two back. I certainly think you'd have plenty of takers (me included once I'd taken my brave pills :uhoh: ) at around £30-40 mark.

Abo
23rd August 2007, 06:35
the PUTs are averaging around 120

And then some! Fastest lap on Sunday was 132mph average and the lap record is about 135 - 137 IIRC

A Scotsman
23rd August 2007, 09:22
The Scottish Fiesta XR2s have experience of the BRSCC's organisational abilities... We were at Oulton in July for a mixed grid race with the English XR2s and XR3s... Twas a farce.. We were told it was a 25 minute race by one lot so fuelled etc accordingly..... Once on track it suddenly became 20 minutes! They also cocked up the quali timing so that one of our lads somehow managed to do a lap in 16 seconds at an average speed of in excess of 300 mph !! He'll be keeping that set of times and framing it :D

As to the Rockingham events there are two former Scottish XR2 drivers involved running Fiesta STs. I'm pleased to say that their breeding showed through and they didn't get involved in the protest. That said during the exploratory lap to see how wet it was I am told that as far as the drivers were concerned it was quite safe to race .. The cancellation was therefore received with more than a degree of incredulity.

PUTs ? Sounds like a giggle... when are you coming to Knockhill.. ?

Nick Brad
23rd August 2007, 10:04
I keep pushing for the Knockhill tri oval to be considered for the Mac Tools cars, but sadly no one wants to listen. ;)

Nick Brad
23rd August 2007, 10:15
Come down to the Rock and say hello!!! we should be able to fit you in this Saturday!!!

Oh thanks Duncan, just cos I'm busy this saturday. :p :

How many laps would you be able to offer for that price, would it be an out lap- hot lap -in lap or could you squeeze 2 or 3 hot laps in?

I think you may have lots of takers for this, I still haven't managed to do it and it's definately on my list, (along with my rookie test when I win the lottery).

racing59
23rd August 2007, 10:21
We're listening, but keeping our beaks shut!!!

My nose will start bleeding if I go further north than Ferrybridge.

And "A Scotsman", that's a fine Corby name. Welcome to our little house...(the forum!)

Corby - the most southerly town in Scotland. A cross-border-raid staging post for the men with ginger bushy beards and tartan skirts. If you don't believe me, look at all the thistles that grow around the area!

It has an MSP! Honest! (oo hang on, can I put politician and honest in the same sentence?)

On a serious note, I would consider going to Knockhill. When the time is right.
Let's get Germany back under control first.

JovialJooles
23rd August 2007, 10:33

Well, i know i speak for many others when i say that if theres one thing thats irritates the hell out of me, its forum moderators who ruin perfectly good debates.

The ONLY times moderators should do anything is 1) to deal with spam and 2) removing threats/racist comments.

As yet, i havnt seen either in here, just a lot of hot air

What irritates the hell out of me is people who make sweeping statements like yours. I'm not aware of us stopping the debate or locking the threads.

Before you decide to insult the moderators on this forum, perhaps you could take the time to think about how we have moderated this forum.

When was the last time we locked a thread?
How many members of this forum have we issued infractions to?
How many times do we stifle free speech and prevent people from airing their views?

It is so tedious to here people whinge about moderators. It really is very boring.

Go and take a look at every other forum on this board. We are the most moderate and lenient moderators you are going to find.

Can I also remind you that you signed up to a set of rules when you joined the forum. That is why we moderate the forums. If you don't like the rules you are free to leave the forum at any time.

I was just thinking the same, what ever happened to free speach, or have the government put a tax on that too.
i have had my hand slapped before on other threads, so im keeping quiet on this one, but all i will say is we have to move on now, whats done is done, lets look forward to september and see if it runs smoothly. keep smilling!!!

So you keep quiet but insult the moderators?

You agreed to a set of rules when you joined the forum. If you don't like the rules, you are free to leave.

jemziemx
23rd August 2007, 11:16
I realise this probably isnt my place to say, but last weekend was my first experience of seeing this type of racing at rockingham. I was impressed by the way tou could get access to the pit garages and being able to see the work that goes into the preperation etc....

However the farce of the fiesta drivers put a downer on it for me. I watched the first pick up race and was really looking forward to seeing the 2nd esp from the grandstand (we watched the first from the top of the pit garages)

I also thought that the decision to put the V8's out back to back so they gpt 2 races was a good idea especially after hearing there season has been a bit of a wash out.

I hope to come and watch it again sometime when we have another weekend free from mx racing, and hope to see more pick up racing and more cars in the V8's.

Thanks to Team Air Ambulance for making us feel welcome.

Jemziemx

turn 4 mad
23rd August 2007, 12:34
[quote="Nick Brad"]Oh thanks Duncan, just cos I'm busy this saturday. :p :

How many laps would you be able to offer for that price, would it be an out lap- hot lap -in lap or could you squeeze 2 or 3 hot laps in?

QUOTE]

I got 8 or 9 laps when duncan took me out at the rock.

turn 4 mad
23rd August 2007, 12:39
So you keep quiet but insult the moderators?

You agreed to a set of rules when you joined the forum. If you don't like the rules, you are free to leave.

Jovial jooles, i dont know why but your the only moderator that seems to have a chip on there shoulder, i was not insulting you and never have done, just purely replying to a post, come down to the garage in sept and say hello, well have a tea or coffee and show theres no hard feelings.

Tiesse
23rd August 2007, 12:41
I realise this probably isnt my place to say, but last weekend was my first experience of seeing this type of racing at rockingham. I was impressed by the way tou could get access to the pit garages and being able to see the work that goes into the preperation etc....

However the farce of the fiesta drivers put a downer on it for me. I watched the first pick up race and was really looking forward to seeing the 2nd esp from the grandstand (we watched the first from the top of the pit garages)

I also thought that the decision to put the V8's out back to back so they gpt 2 races was a good idea especially after hearing there season has been a bit of a wash out.

I hope to come and watch it again sometime when we have another weekend free from mx racing, and hope to see more pick up racing and more cars in the V8's.

Thanks to Team Air Ambulance for making us feel welcome.

Jemziemx

Welcome to the forum & I'd like to say how refreshing it is to see these type of comments here.

Hope you will return for more of the same (Motorfest 15th & 16th September & last BRSCC@Rockingham rounds 29th & 30th September!).

bravheart
23rd August 2007, 13:06
[quote="Nick Brad":1y3ak56e]Oh thanks Duncan, just cos I'm busy this saturday. :p :

QUOTE]

I got 8 or 9 laps when duncan took me out at the rock.[/quote:1y3ak56e]

MMmm if remember correct? we got slowed up by few other cars, So stayed out to get a few flyers in !

Chigley
23rd August 2007, 13:14
MMmm if remember correct? we got slowed up by few other cars, So stayed out to get a few flyers in !

Well it must be at least 8 laps ....... 5 warm up laps :p , 2 hotlaps to get the feel of the circuit :) and then a slow down lap. ;)

jemziemx
23rd August 2007, 13:15
Welcome to the forum & I'd like to say how refreshing it is to see these type of comments here.

Hope you will return for more of the same (Motorfest 15th & 16th September & last BRSCC@Rockingham rounds 29th & 30th September!).

Thankyou, unfortuantly we are away at mx on those dates.

DJV
23rd August 2007, 14:09
[quote="Tiesse
Hope you will return for more of the same (Motorfest 15th & 16th September & last BRSCC@Rockingham rounds 29th & 30th September!).[/QUOTE"]

29th & 30th of September, the GTs are at Rockingham, unless we have been added to their bill the last SCSA race organised by the BRSCC this year has been run.
Unless of course you know different?

deadsquirrel
23rd August 2007, 14:13
29th & 30th of September, the GTs are at Rockingham, unless we have been added to their bill the last SCSA race organised by the BRSCC this year has been run.
I know different - BRSCC are organising the PuTs and SCSA at Ovalfest - as both championships are RACMSA events, Incarace are not licenced to run them. Everything else at Ovalfest will be Incarace/Spedeworth I believe.

DJV
23rd August 2007, 14:15
I know different - BRSCC are organising the PuTs and SCSA at Ovalfest - as both championships are RACMSA events, Incarace are not licenced to run them. Everything else at Ovalfest will be Incarace/Spedeworth I believe.

well i doff my cap to you, if i'm aloud to say that here, so no extra rounds added then?

Old Stock Nut
23rd August 2007, 14:29
I stand corrected on the PUTs speeds.

As to the Red Arrows - http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120165&page=3
thread tells it all - time: 1324, Direction from N to NE

That was where and when my camera was pointing when I got that shot, so no excuses please! The Arrows rarely get these things wrong.....

deadsquirrel
23rd August 2007, 14:50
well i doff my cap to you, if i'm aloud to say that here, so no extra rounds added then?
doffing acknowledged and returned!

As for extra rounds, I don't know - guess it depends how much tracktime we get (although I seem to remember nothing running Sunday morning at last Ovalfest for some reason? - so there could be an opportunity there)

Tiesse
23rd August 2007, 15:49

Dates were from memory, apoliogies for any misunderstanding!

Tiesse
23rd August 2007, 15:52
well i doff my cap to you

Is that similar to tipping the velvet?

DJV
23rd August 2007, 15:58
Is that similar to tipping the velvet?

Not quite, you can doff your cap on your own, I believe you need two to tip the velvet

LessThanSte
23rd August 2007, 17:10

Bah. Sisters 18th birthday. Bummer. Pick another!

acorn
23rd August 2007, 17:52
As to the Rockingham events there are two former Scottish XR2 drivers involved running Fiesta STs. I'm pleased to say that their breeding showed through and they didn't get involved in the protest. That said during the exploratory lap to see how wet it was I am told that as far as the drivers were concerned it was quite safe to race .. The cancellation was therefore received with more than a degree of incredulity.

PUTs ? Sounds like a giggle... when are you coming to Knockhill.. ?

i'm glad that your drivers didn't get involved however, the report in motorsport news has daniel rose saying "we were furious and EVERY driver went to the grid to complain". perhaps one or all of the drivers who know the way to do things should let mr rose know that he was not authorised to say that they were included in his method of complaining.

if i recall correctly, the pickups have visited knockhill as part of the eurocar package.

acorn
23rd August 2007, 18:01

and now i see in motorsport news that he's going to try Brica F1. how long will that last?

ive done it-.........

and it's a blast. my thanks to jon jon higgins.

PapaJuliet
23rd August 2007, 22:56
Just how long does it take do you think to pick up all the marshals that were required to man the necessary posts on both the inside and outside of the oval, let the safety teams, recovery, medical, and gantry who had been covering the RS session have a break. Or doesn't that matter

I started my lunch during the Pick-Up parade laps.

It took me three attempts to finish one sandwich!

PJ

racing59
23rd August 2007, 23:00
It took me three attempts to finish one sandwich!

PJ

Only three bites?

Mind those fingers...

PapaJuliet
23rd August 2007, 23:03
Only three bites?

Mind those fingers...

Yes... but every time I took one, that Chigley put the yellow flag out and I had to go and clear up somebody's accident. :rolleyes:

PJ

charliethornton
25th August 2007, 17:01
To all Pick-Up drivers.

I've just noticed that we are racing the same weekend 1st and 2nd September at Brands.

If I can make it I'll come along and introduce myself, or you can wander over to our area and I'll show you around.

In the first instance I'll be the chap who wanders into your garages already wearing a helmet and body armour.

In the second case I'm the old grey headed fat chap with a spanner in his hand (a BIG one ;-) )

Hope I can make it and see you soon

Yung
26th August 2007, 01:13
I'll be the chinese guy with glasses and a camera in my hand OR black dirt marks on my face like a American Footballer has! ;) lol

Nick Brad
26th August 2007, 10:20
And i'll be the one nicely nestled up at home most probably. I can't stand Brands Hatch and only go there if i'm forced to as a result of my team racing there. Hint, hint, Rob, please put forward Snetterton instead, trust me, the cars won't like all those hills ;)

pickup
26th August 2007, 10:47
I'll be the chinese guy with glasses and a camera in my hand OR black dirt marks on my face like a American Footballer has! ;) lol

Thought you were Welsh!
If your'e Chinese you must be able to cook.

Yung
31st August 2007, 03:53
Okay...... i'll politically correct myself!

I am a Chinese-looking Welsh person! Born in Wales so i'm Welsh. Just my parents are Chinese so I look Chinese. I can't cook cause i'm WELSH!! :cheese:

racing59
31st August 2007, 22:13
Can't be Welsh. Doesn't end sentences with "isn't it" or "there's lovely"

Nos da.

Rob.

pickup
1st September 2007, 00:06
He certainly don't sound welsh "boyo".