PDA

View Full Version : Leaving presents.

Hazell B
19th August 2007, 17:56
You know when you leave a job or something and a group of people who don't really know/care about you feel obliged to put a few quid in and buy you a gift of some sort? It's generally a diary, some nasty socks and tie set or a bottle of really evil meths-laced liquour you've never liked :mark:

Today I told the market owner I'm sadly leaving his sunday market and he dashed off to get me a little shock pressie as a surprise :)

It's a trophy (originally given for a car race in 1951 :p : ) to be engraved with something we can't mention on a family forum :D It's brilliant and I love it! :D

What's the best leaving present you've given or been given?

Drew
19th August 2007, 20:38
Although it's nothing now, my year 5 teacher gave us all pencils with maths answers on them. Needless to say, I used that pencil for every maths test a while after and never got cought :p :

LotusElise
19th August 2007, 21:32
I'm leaving my job the week after next, so I might have something to report then.

I did get a very nice desert plant from a previous job, though.

millencolin
20th August 2007, 02:59
when i left my old job at the local cinemas, (due to the management there having the I.Q similiar to that of a piece of wood)... i got myself a present. i stole about $60 worth of stock from the back storeroom (red bull, malteasers, m'ms, solo, more red bull, snickers, Tolberone)... lol they deserved it :P:

but my other old job i got a cool pen for leaving. wasnt too bad. still works...

Caroline
20th August 2007, 12:04
I have left my current job twice in the past (don't ask) but am there now for a while. First time I left I got flowers and a posh pen. I returned the following September for a year and left again, getting a voucher for an outdoor clothes shop and a bunch of flowers. All nice stuff. I taught at another school for a year and when I left was given a black money belt :s

CarlMetro
20th August 2007, 12:19
I left a job on Friday and was given the finger by the company MD, which was nice :s

I did get a rather nice calculator from one company which I still use today.

By far the best present I gave someone was a copy of the Mr Grumpy Mister Men books when one of my previous company's office workers retired :D

millencolin
20th August 2007, 15:05
I left a job on Friday and was given the finger by the company MD, which was nice :s

thats just a sign of respect :p :

555-04Q2
20th August 2007, 16:08
What's the best leaving present you've given or been given?

It was my first job at the tender age of 19. I got a kick up the ar$e followed by a,' and dont come back, yer hear!!!'

Happily, the company closed three months later :laugh:

edv
20th August 2007, 16:37
My 25 years at the company passed this year without notice...

These days I usually just leave empty beer cans behind, strewn on the lawn.

Woodeye
20th August 2007, 16:41
The firm that I used to work for sold different kinds of papers. Tagline of one of the papers is: "Just touch it".

When I left the firm one of the gifts in the pack was a pair of boxers with that tagline in the front. I think those are pretty cool. :p

Drew
20th August 2007, 16:48
I have left my current job twice in the past (don't ask) but am there now for a while. First time I left I got flowers and a posh pen. I returned the following September for a year and left again, getting a voucher for an outdoor clothes shop and a bunch of flowers. All nice stuff. I taught at another school for a year and when I left was given a black money belt :s

Clever lady :up: :p :

schmenke
20th August 2007, 22:55

Sorta like most of your posts around here... :erm:

I got a company pin with two tiny diamonds (apparently, I dunno, they could be cube-zirc for all I know :mark: ) when I achieved 15 years. I've never worn the thing :mark:

LeonBrooke
21st August 2007, 01:22
When I finished a clinical placement last year they threw a party to which we students were invited. We ended up bringing most of the food...

Hazell B
21st August 2007, 18:55

That's shocking! My partner's company gives them a day's extra holiday each year and hosts small parties at ten years and so on. Nothing major, but it's the thought that counts.

Christina
22nd August 2007, 02:44
When i left my six-week job at a nightclub in york my coworkers gave me a framed photograph that was taken on my last pub-quiz night (which we actually won! hence the photograph i guess.. they dont take pictures of the losers) and a magnum of Chimay (my favourite and rather pricey Belgian beer). i think that's the best pressie i've ever gotten for leaving somewhere.

I worked at a department store here in perth for six years and got a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers upon leaving. i much preferred my six-week pressie, but the chocolates were good!

The most recent job i left i didnt get anything because i didnt end up working out my notice due to crashing my hang glider and breaking my arm. whoops! but i was kinda happy to be rid of the place, so i guess my pressie was a tiny slice of my sanity.

leopard
22nd August 2007, 11:49
hehe chocolates and flowers have its own sense if you got/give it from/to someone

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 12:24
I got a lunch at the local chinese restaurant with 3 of my closest workmates when I left my job in Australia :) Good present I thought :)

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 12:27
Yes but think of all the chocolates you get at Christmas and at the end of the school year :D Then there's all the stupid smelly stuff you get as well :mark:

Caroline
22nd August 2007, 12:34
To be fair, I get some lovely, thoughtful gifts from children and I really appreciate them. Chocs and wine are especially appreciated. I think on the whole I have been really lucky and get useful stuff. I am not so sure that the children like the pressies I buy them quite so much at the end of the year.

Not everyone is so fortunate...

http://www.cheesygifts4teachers.fsnet.co.uk/cheese1.htm

Hazell B
22nd August 2007, 21:38
Talk about teachers and their cheesy gifts has reminded me of what we bought the woman who'd put six of us through our bookies exams at William Hills.

She'd just broken up with her partner and as we all knew our stuff already we spent the whole week on full wages talking about how rotten men are in assorted pubs and cafes :p : At the end we all passed and gave her a huge phallic cactus. She said she knew just where to stick it :laugh:

Christina
23rd August 2007, 04:33
I'm not sure about leaving presents, but i just got a huge chocolate birthday cake!! mmm.. so good. This is after this place threw a massive staff party for us with an open bar and the instructions "drink the bar dry". we did. we spent over $10,000AU on drinks that night! i dont ever want to leave this place!

leopard
23rd August 2007, 05:27
soo Someone is celebrating her birthday today?

I am not sure my flowers and chocolate would be acceptable :)

Happy birthday, have a great one.

touch...

leopard
27th August 2007, 08:31
I'm not sure about leaving presents, but i just got a huge chocolate birthday cake!! mmm.. so good. This is after this place threw a massive staff party for us with an open bar and the instructions "drink the bar dry". we did. we spent over $10,000AU on drinks that night! i dont ever want to leave this place!
So, which celebration do you like at most, whether they invite you to come to the bar, night club and so called discotheque or an open bar party is held somewhere out of them?

gadjo_dilo
27th August 2007, 11:42
I've just realised that romanians don't have the custom to offer something when leaving. Instead they use to "smear" only those who can provide them any benefit.