PDA

View Full Version : Why do people like rally radio?

Daniel
19th August 2007, 14:35
They're irritating
They almost never tell us anything we don't already know and if they do they make a hash of it.
They're irritating.
They chatter on like idiots.
They're irritating.
They play rubbish music.
They're irritating.

Why would one want to listen to this and why?!?!?!?!?!? They're genital mutilatingly bad and there's no buts about it.

I'd like to suggest that all of the on air people on rally radio be fired and J4mie, RallyBasher and Pino be taken on. Jamie and RB could alternate between being on the stages and being at service and Pino could be the fulltime person in the studio

They're not irritating, they do know what they're on about, they do have better taste in music and Pino alone adds more personality than the current lineup. Who is with me? :)

P.S I'm sure RB and J4mie would get a complimentary tabard for each rally ;)

Sign my petition :p

http://www.petitiononline.com/ihatewrr/petition.html

J4MIE
19th August 2007, 14:37
Don't be stupid Daniel..... I have terrible taste in music :p :

Daniel
19th August 2007, 14:44
Don't be stupid Daniel..... I have terrible taste in music :p :
Pino has good taste in music. Would make up for any possible taste deficiencies either of you might have :p

Koz
19th August 2007, 14:45
Haha, Daniel you started it, but you didnt even sign it yet! :D

Daniel
19th August 2007, 14:46
Done

Finni
19th August 2007, 14:52
I actually think that Rallybasher and co would be hugely better to the task than the current radio persons.

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 14:55
Why so angry? i think they are doing a great job, the only thing i can complaine about is the sound quality, on the finish radio you could hear the sound of the car in time controle very clear. They know what happens at any time inside the stage like with Marcus the knew very fast what had happened.

Daniel
19th August 2007, 14:56
Why so angry? i think they are doing a great job, the only thing i can complaine about is the sound quality, on the finish radio you could hear the sound of the car in time controle.
So angry? Because I love this sport and having WRR covering it is sacreligious. Explain how they do a good job?

Koz
19th August 2007, 15:03
WRC.com says retirement announcement?
What happened?!!!!
I can see because I dont want to pay!
Some quick tell us!!!

Anything on the bloody radio?

Christina
19th August 2007, 15:05
I like Rally Radio. I think they're great. I love the driver interviews, the interviews with various team members, the funny little quizzes they sometimes do with drivers and team personnel.

Without world rally radio, would we really know things that are happening on the stages? I mean, yes we can see from split times that someone has had a problem, but we cant tell what that problem was. Colin and Becs find out for us.

I find their music selection quite good, but with so many genres of music out there, you cannot please everyone! If you dont like the music selection, email in and request something!

But in the end, it's a free service and you choose to listen to it. if you dont want to listen to it, dont. but dont go bashing them just for the sake of it. People always think they can do a better job, but i'd like to see you try. you'll find out just how hard it is to keep it together. i think the team do a brilliant job!

I'm sure i could come up with a better argument but i'm too hyper from that amazing final stage to say anything that makes much sense.

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 15:08
Ok maybe they are not that into the tecnical side of it but if the could get more expert commentatory with Robert Reid ore some one else, Robbie Head when he's not doing the BRC maybe? Do anyone know what the radio crew do for a living don't think they make money on this do they?

It's Jakke Honkanen who is retiring rally radio was the first to know.

kiil
19th August 2007, 15:14
It's true they might lack a bit of knowledge, but overall i think it's nice. I like Colin, and i wouldn't wanna miss the end of stage interviews and the chat. No doubt it could be better, but hey, it's free and way better than just watching splits.

Daniel
19th August 2007, 15:14
Ok maybe they are not that into the tecnical side of it but if the could get more expert commentatory with Robert Reid ore some one else, Robbie Head when he's not doing the BRC maybe? Do anyone know what the radio crew do for a living don't think they make money on this do they?

It's Jakke Honkanen who is retiring rally radio was the first to know.
These people are employed to do the job. If my memory serves me correctly their original area of expertise is yacht racing ;) They SHOULD get someone like Robbie Head who knows their stuff but they don't so they suck.

Christina. With all due respect considering your early posts on the forum about the WRC one could be forgiven for thinking that 3 years ago you didn't like the WRC and had never even seen a stage live?

m.lowe
19th August 2007, 15:21
You have the choice not to listen to it Daniel then you wont get irritated

Christina
19th August 2007, 15:23
Christina. With all due respect considering your early posts on the forum about the WRC one could be forgiven for thinking that 3 years ago you didn't like the WRC and had never even seen a stage live?

What does that have to do with me liking rally radio and thinking that they do a good job? I'm confused.

Not everyone who listens to rally radio is an expert who has been following rally since it's creation. it's general, light entertainment with a bit of news.

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 15:29
When the radio was gone i didn't even bother whatching the rallys, fun siting 10hours alone infront of the computer, No!

J4MIE
I don't see the problem with rally radio :confused: Mostly they know what they're talking about and get the latest news pretty quickly. Sure, most of the time I can tell what's happening on the stages by looking at the splits (whenever they work) and they take a while to get it, but on the whole I think it's a great service.

Daniel
What does that have to do with me liking rally radio and thinking that they do a good job? I'm confused.

Not everyone who listens to rally radio is an expert who has been following rally since it's creation. it's general, light entertainment with a bit of news.
Knowing a thing or two about the subject kind of helps when deciding whether someone's doing a good job. It's only when you actually understand something (the WRC in this cas) that you see all the mistakes they make and so on.

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 15:30
I like Collin's irrational comments about passing barges, the weather, time control official and the colour of their pens.

If there was live coverage on tv, I would still want to hear the crazy Scot carry on.

Daniel
19th August 2007, 15:30
When the radio was gone i didn't even bother whatching the rallys, fun siting 10hours alone infront of the computer, No!
I would have thought the stagetimes and who was winning was interesting enough. If you don't care about who wins and the results and so on then perhaps you need to ask if you really like the WRC?

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 15:31
Name one mistake then daniel

No point in siting in front of the computer when you don't know whats happening, no fun the Subarus isen't doing that well either

Daniel
19th August 2007, 15:31
Name one mistake then daniel
Marcus is on 3 wheels.

Daniel
19th August 2007, 15:39
I have a choice of listing or not listening and 99% of the time I don't. Doesn't mean I don't have a right to complain. Next time you complain about anything I'll tell you that you don't need to live in the UK or watch the WRC or be involved in whatever you find irritating :rolleyes: A very immature and simplistic view indeed.

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 15:40
Marcus is on 3 wheels.

I never got that they said that, how could you know if your not listenig 99% of the time

Daniel
19th August 2007, 15:41
I never got that they said that
If you really want I'll listen to WRR for the next rally and write out all the mistakes :)

Erki
19th August 2007, 15:42
Someone should get a life. ;)

A.F.F.
19th August 2007, 15:46
WRR played 99 luftballoons today.

They played 99 luftballoons.

Christina
19th August 2007, 15:54
Knowing a thing or two about the subject kind of helps when deciding whether someone's doing a good job. It's only when you actually understand something (the WRC in this cas) that you see all the mistakes they make and so on.

So in almost four years of following the WRC i still know nothing? funny.. i thought i'd picked up an idea or two about what was going on in that time.. I find this comment quite offensive. I'm not some dumb blonde like most people seem to think i am.

And for the sake of clarity, Colin never reported that Marcus was on three wheels. He said that he has serious suspension damage and expressed concern for wether the wheel would stay on in the 30km road section, but at no point did he say that marcus was missing a wheel. Maybe if you listened to the radio you would know this, but as you dont like it and dont listen to it, does this qualify you to comment on such matters? Apparently i am not qualified to comment on the fact that i quite like rally radio and think they do a good job because i "know nothing about rally" so i would say you are not qualified on the subject of rally radio.

I agree with subarunorway1, i didnt like following the rally so much when all i had was splits. Rally radio made it entertaining.

Daniel
19th August 2007, 15:54
WRR played 99 luftballoons today.

They played 99 luftballoons.
I take back this whole thread then :D

Daniel
19th August 2007, 16:05
So in almost four years of following the WRC i still know nothing? funny.. i thought i'd picked up an idea or two about what was going on in that time.. I find this comment quite offensive. I'm not some dumb blonde like most people seem to think i am.

And for the sake of clarity, Colin never reported that Marcus was on three wheels. He said that he has serious suspension damage and expressed concern for wether the wheel would stay on in the 30km road section, but at no point did he say that marcus was missing a wheel. Maybe if you listened to the radio you would know this, but as you dont like it and dont listen to it, does this qualify you to comment on such matters? Apparently i am not qualified to comment on the fact that i quite like rally radio and think they do a good job because i "know nothing about rally" so i would say you are not qualified on the subject of rally radio.

I agree with subarunorway1, i didnt like following the rally so much when all i had was splits. Rally radio made it entertaining.

My apologies for believing GigiGalliNo1 ;)

The point I was making was that less than 4 years ago you were on this forum saying how the WRC sucked and so on and now you're going on about how great it is :mark:

gloomyDAY
19th August 2007, 16:14
My complaint isn't that rally radio is bad, but the reasoning behind rally radio. It is the year 2007 and we're listening to the events occurring in the WRC! Why do we even put up with that nonsense? There should be this thing called "television coverage" to whet our appetite and keep us entertained/informed.

HaCo
19th August 2007, 16:17
Well, I LOVE rallyradio. The interviews when drivers come of the stage are just great. Also, you don't have to follow the splits with your own eyes, work on miniature models and listen to rally radio, it's awesome!!! And so what they are just laughing around in between the stages? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. But to start a petition to discredit something is not nice at all.

BTW: in Belgium there is in (almost) every rally of the belgian championship on air in FM, it is great to follow the rally when moving between the stages.

Daniel
To be fair that's not WRR's fault. We have coverage here in the UK, Europe and in Australia but the problem is that the useless people on WRR do the voiceover ;)

janneppi
Could the rally radio be better, of course, would i pay for it even if it was better, highly unlikely.
For a free service it's more than adequate, i quite enjoy all the extra stuff, and as posted, they tell what's going on the best they can, and usually report problems with drivers if splits aren't working.
It sure as hell beats following the rally only from swrt.com or similar place.

Daniel
19th August 2007, 16:19
Could the rally radio be better, of course, would i pay for it even if it was better, highly unlikely.
For a free service it's more than adequate, i quite enjoy all the extra stuff, and as posted, they tell what's going on the best they can, and usually report problems with drivers if splits aren't working.
It sure as hell beats following the rally only from swrt.com or similar place.
Like I said they could just get some decent commentors in and it would just lend it that bit of credibility it needs. I'd certainly pay to hear decent commentary rather than getting it free as I would now.

kubiczech
19th August 2007, 16:22
I dont want to argue .. just for the statistic: I like WRR alot, especially in current lineup.

If you want to hear somebody trully incopetent, try czech version of Eurosport WRC coverage :-(

Daniel
19th August 2007, 16:24
I dont want to argue .. just for the statistic: I like WRR alot, especially in current lineup.

If you want to hear somebody trully incopetent, try czech version of Eurosport WRC coverage :-(
Perhaps if English was your first language you'd find WRR just as irritating :p

Erki
19th August 2007, 17:29
My apologies for believing GigiGalliNo1 ;)

The point I was making was that less than 4 years ago you were on this forum saying how the WRC sucked and so on and now you're going on about how great it is :mark:

If WRC 2003 sucked then WRC has always sucked. :)

AndyRAC
19th August 2007, 19:22
Rally Radio is far from perfect, but, in my view be grateful for small mercies. How else are we to keep up with the WRC. If there was no radio and no splits it would be virtually impossible. Here in the UK the national radio stations never mention it, so it's better than nothing.
As for the comment about live TV coverage, sorry it isn't going to happen, it would need hundreds of cameras to cover a stage. I'd prefer nightly highlights as there used to be, Rallying doesn't work live.

Brother John
19th August 2007, 19:36
When Marcus went off today ,

They must play the BLUES. :s mokin:

BLUES
BLUES
BLUES and nothing but the BLUES.

HaCo
19th August 2007, 20:00
As for the comment about live TV coverage, sorry it isn't going to happen, it would need hundreds of cameras to cover a stage. I'd prefer nightly highlights as there used to be, Rallying doesn't work live.

Exactly, howerver the way IRC is brought semi-live is not bad IMO...

Josti
19th August 2007, 22:08
I donīt like it that much either. It does makes it a bit more interesting to follow the rally, cause thereīs much more going on then, instead of just watching the splits. Plus I think Colin always does fine reporting with great enthusiasm.

I do agree with Daniel, that sometimes itīs irretating and they blabber (if thatīs a word) about nothing. No explaining on the music of course.

But itīs a part of wrc.com, and thatīs never a garanty of quality. Let alone the interviews on Eurosport, always so insightful and original!

:rolleyes:

TheTiger
19th August 2007, 23:49
I must say I agree with many people here that I find the WRR entertaining and like the suplemental information and interviews they provide during a rally - basically light entertainment. Just watching the splits are way too boring in itself. Ofcourse as most other things it could improve, however as long as it's there, it's free and working I will not complain.

When it comes to your condescending comments about others forum members I find that much more provoking than anything on WRR this weekend. I've followed Rally for many years, and this forum for a few years, but never posted anything here before now.

If you post a message in a forum like this I assume the reason is that you like others point of view on the issue - and not to brag about you own knowledge of Rallying/WRC??

If your reason to post is to brag, then just leave it and let all us other forum members be able to share our points of view and knowledge from whatever experience each individual got.

Christina have every reason to find you comments offensive and unnecessary.

Daniel
20th August 2007, 00:28
I must say I agree with many people here that I find the WRR entertaining and like the suplemental information and interviews they provide during a rally - basically light entertainment. Just watching the splits are way too boring in itself. Ofcourse as most other things it could improve, however as long as it's there, it's free and working I will not complain.

When it comes to your condescending comments about others forum members I find that much more provoking than anything on WRR this weekend. I've followed Rally for many years, and this forum for a few years, but never posted anything here before now.

If you post a message in a forum like this I assume the reason is that you like others point of view on the issue - and not to brag about you own knowledge of Rallying/WRC??

If your reason to post is to brag, then just leave it and let all us other forum members be able to share our points of view and knowledge from whatever experience each individual got.

And a warm welcome to you too :)

I was merely making a point which if you'd taken the time to read my posts might have been more apparent. But I'll explain it in a bit more detail.

Say for instance you like Ice Hockey and have been following it for the last 20 or 30 years or so and can name which teams won which titles and so on and which players did what in which match and what colour Wayne Gretsky's stick was when he played in a particular match or something. You'd be insulted if there was a World Ice Hockey Radio that came along and was run by a team of people who'd only been watching Ice Hockey for the last 3 or 4 years. Sure a person like me who has never watched a game of Ice Hockey in his life might think it's great and entertaining and so on, but most people who were following the sport for a long time would find it irritating that people who do not truly understand the sport are doing the coverage and I think that people who are new to the sport are being shortchanged as well.

As I said previously Becs didn't simply choose this job because she was a mad rally fan or something like that. If what I remember of my conversations with her over the years she originally started covering yachting or offshore boat racing so rallying is not her first love. Merely a job. I would love for there to be a Suzi Perry type figure to cover rallying who loved the sport as much as Suzy loves her bike racing. Not someone who merely does it as a job.

N.O.T
20th August 2007, 00:59
I only like it because of the interviews at the end of the stages......and to be honest i would them like to have 3-4 more reporters and have those at the end of every stage.

drewbud
20th August 2007, 02:06
Not getting a lot of support with this one are you, Daniel? Don't like it?...don't listen, seems pretty simple to me. Lay off the other forum members and quit yer bitchin'. Post over.

GigiGalliNo1
20th August 2007, 02:29

Well said.

N.O.T
20th August 2007, 02:58
Although i am not irritated by rally radio because i usually turn it off when the interviews are over i think that "If you don't like it...don't listen to it" is wrong.....simply because of the fact that is the only option if you want some inside info other than just seeing the results...if there was an alternative then ok you could switch it...but when you have the monopoly on something you owe to be at least competent..

pino
20th August 2007, 06:19
Pino has good taste in music. Would make up for any possible taste deficiencies either of you might have :p

For sure I've got a better music taste than them but apart from that, I like it. I love both Becs and Colin I think they are doing a great job, and their interviews are cool :up: Sorry Daniel for disappointing you , and thanks for the job-offer :p :

GigiGalliNo1
20th August 2007, 06:50
So with me paying for WRC+ I'm getting Rally Radio for free anyways?

cosmicpanda
20th August 2007, 07:10
So with me paying for WRC+ I'm getting Rally Radio for free anyways?

Yea. It's the reason I stopped paying for it.

Bad quality and short video clips, un-reliable splits, and occasional superspecial coverage just wasn't enough of a reason to pay a hundred bucks a year for me.

A.F.F.
20th August 2007, 08:27
Although i am not irritated by rally radio because i usually turn it off when the interviews are over i think that "If you don't like it...don't listen to it" is wrong.....simply because of the fact that is the only option if you want some inside info other than just seeing the results...if there was an alternative then ok you could switch it...but when you have the monopoly on something you owe to be at least competent..

I only, and I mean only listen it for the interviews. I don't like WRR, I certainly don't like Colin's style which makes it more difficult. Especially yesterday when he seemed to totally lost it after Marcus incident. And I often use my choise of nothing listening it.

But, it's is the channel usually getting the information from the stages first.

Camelopard
20th August 2007, 08:58

Well said, I agree entirely, to me its seems that everytime daniel has a thought he has to start a thread telling everyone about it, someone needs to get out more......

I enjoy rally radio, I probably wouldn't pay for it and I think sometimes they crap on far too much, at least you can get a little bit of a feel for the event when you are thousands of miles away.

bowler
20th August 2007, 09:48
Daniel I assume that you will not listen anymore, and that would be appropriate.

Your comments about Becs and Christina are way out of line.

The fact that someone did something other than Rallying before they were involved in Rally Radio has no bearing on their current knowledge or passion.

The service is free, and went it went off the air recently lots of people were wanting it back. A good percentage of the content in this forum was supported by news from WRR.

Your comments about Christina not liking Rally a few years ago being some reason for not liking it now have no logic whatsoever.

On that basis you should still be eating baby food and having your nappies changed. If you still do then I understand your comments.

Daniel
20th August 2007, 10:24
It's funny how people have to resort to childish remarks like calling me a baby and telling me not to listen if I don't want to and also resorting to little personal jibes. This is the sort of thing I need on a Monday when I'm bored because work is a little quiet. A few people have stated that they listen to WRR because of the end of stage interviews and nothing else. Does this not say anything about the quality of the show?

Sorry for wanting someone who has a proper knowledge of rallying and rally history to be covering our sport rather than just some miscellaneous broadcasters :rolleyes:

Cheers for attacking the poster and not the post though. Shows how immature some people can be :)

Buzz Lightyear
20th August 2007, 10:33
The future of WRR is 'WRTV' with Radio. Was it Australia with the eye in the sky and WRR dubbed over the top. It was excellent. I would pay €100/year for example to watch it.

The problem is guys money... 'Get some techical experts'... OK... who is going to stump up €200K for wages, flights, hotels for just that one extra person to attend all the rallies.... not us?

Luckin
20th August 2007, 10:37
Well, I can see your point, Daniel (that hockey example was pretty good, for sure :) )

However, I somehow do not understand why you started this topic, since you try to make almost every opinion other than yours look laughable.

Personally I like WRR (apart from their music), I think their stage coverage is pretty good, actually. They could maybe have one more reporter to cover all stages, but then it's all about money...

Mark
20th August 2007, 11:09
Whenever I've tuned in the quality was so bad that you couldn't listen for more than a couple of minutes.

pino
20th August 2007, 11:15
Whenever I've tuned in the quality was so bad that you couldn't listen for more than a couple of minutes.

Quality of the music ? I agree, interviews and others news are ok...eventhough I could do much better though :p : ;)

J4MIE
20th August 2007, 11:30
Well I seem to remember a while back that they had some extra people at other stages. In Australia wasn't it a guy called Daniel? :p :

However, I don't think they were very good at it because it was only for a few events :\

Daniel
20th August 2007, 11:41
If you ever see Rally Radio Daniel call him Yogi bear. Pisses him right off or so I'm told :D

If Pino could do better than why can't we have someone better? :)

pino
20th August 2007, 13:44
If Pino could do better than why can't we have someone better? :)

Is that a compliment...or an insult ? :hmph: ;)

Daniel
20th August 2007, 13:50
Compliment :D I may disagree on Galli with you but you know 1000 times more about rallying than the WRR people do ;)

jonkka
20th August 2007, 14:13
World Rally Radio? Well, I have been a tad critical towards it too.

On the positive side, it is free so it doesn't cost me a dime to listen and I can choose not to listen if I want to. Also, when all is working well, it usually is the first place to have the news and that alone is worth a lot. Stage-end interviews are also a plus, though most often it's the same "all-is-well-I-take-no-risks" -stuff which isn't that informative but on occasion when something happens it's best place to hear about the events straight from the horse's mouth.

On the negative side, their music is horrible almost without exception. It's difficult to avoid as turning volume down doesn't alert me when the music is over. Also, they have annoying habit of playing music or chatting irrelevant things when there is actually happening something in the stages. They should play music only when stage is not live. Another irritating feature comes from the nature of the radio as medium, it doesn't tolerate silence very well. Because of that, they are serial yakkers. Haribos, anyone? Geez...

As to question of would I rather have WRR or not, I think that it's like split times. An improvement that is not essential and one can live without it (ooh, I remember the times when only way to follow via internet was to wait two mins for next stage time and again two minutes for the next and so on...). But once you've gotten used to having it around, it might be difficult to live without. I know I want splits more than WRR but at the end of the day I do listen to it.

Daniel has a point with the enthusiasm and knowledge of the WRR journalists. Those who listened finnish Rally Radio know the difference even though Erkki Vanhanen wasn't in studio this year.

Just my 2c. Would I pay for WRR? No.

Roy
20th August 2007, 15:22
I don't see the problem with rally radio :confused: Mostly they know what they're talking about and get the latest news pretty quickly. Sure, most of the time I can tell what's happening on the stages by looking at the splits (whenever they work) and they take a while to get it, but on the whole I think it's a great service.

Right!
And clear interviews with drivers, teammembers and -principals.
Only some to much the same music. There's is nothing irritating.

TheTiger
21st August 2007, 21:28
Thanks for your welcome Daniel!

In fact Daniel, I've read through all of your post in this thread, and others too.

And the topic you try to raise the discussion about is allways possible to discuss - and could have been really interesting too. But I can't really be bothered spending my time discussing at this level.

But as several other posters have mention before - when you do "attack" others that have opinions, or tell them more or less that they are not competent to tell their opinions. Who do you think you are, to be able to judge that really.. ??

And if you re-read the whole thread yourself, you might notice that you are the one that started attacking others - so not really sure who should be talking to loud about maturity? (Guess this thread speaks for it self on that matter... ;)

If you respect your fellow forum members - more people might bother to join in your discussions too... just a tip!

Nothing personal from my side, just huge annoyance of the attitude in some of the threads here. This is the end of this discussions from my point of view.

However hope to see you, Daniel, and others in many interesting discussion in another thread, with more respect for fellow forum members and other peoples opinions.

Cheers!

DoN_cz
21st August 2007, 22:43
How can you say the music is horrible? Everyone has different taste and for me personally, i like the music that is played on WRR. I dont actually have anything against WRR and like it very much - it`s fun to listen to and yet very informative. I don`t think you are right by saying the staff doesn`t know much about rally - sometimes im really surprised about their`s memory of certain results etc.

And just to prove how much i like the WRR, i started recording the stream and listen to it AGAIN anytime i feel like it. At home, in car, at school...

duff
22nd August 2007, 00:48
An improvement that is not essential and one can live without it (ooh, I remember the times when only way to follow via internet was to wait two mins for next stage time and again two minutes for the next and so on...). .

I remember having to wait until Tuesday to see the results of overseas rallies in Austrailian papers!

For me the positive of WRR is the interviews with the drivers, in real time, straight after the stage finish. That and I don't mind listening to something while I'm hanging in front of the Computer waiting for the stages. God knows my girlfriend won't sit there with me!

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 00:55
Thanks for your welcome Daniel!

In fact Daniel, I've read through all of your post in this thread, and others too.

And the topic you try to raise the discussion about is allways possible to discuss - and could have been really interesting too. But I can't really be bothered spending my time discussing at this level.

But as several other posters have mention before - when you do "attack" others that have opinions, or tell them more or less that they are not competent to tell their opinions. Who do you think you are, to be able to judge that really.. ??

And if you re-read the whole thread yourself, you might notice that you are the one that started attacking others - so not really sure who should be talking to loud about maturity? (Guess this thread speaks for it self on that matter... ;)

If you respect your fellow forum members - more people might bother to join in your discussions too... just a tip!

Nothing personal from my side, just huge annoyance of the attitude in some of the threads here. This is the end of this discussions from my point of view.

However hope to see you, Daniel, and others in many interesting discussion in another thread, with more respect for fellow forum members and other peoples opinions.

Cheers!
Show me where I've attacked someone or been rude to someone on this thread :)

GigiGalliNo1
22nd August 2007, 02:51
So,,,, basicly..... WRR is free. I hardly watch the video's.... the splits screen doesn't work when I go on....and thats it? But i've already paid for the service.. ehhh.

Christina
22nd August 2007, 03:09
World rally radio has been free for quite a while matt. I'm not sure if you ever had to pay for it.. i know it's always been available from the estonian split site..

leopard
22nd August 2007, 04:55
That is good in todays life we have access on something for free :)

Livewireshock
22nd August 2007, 05:33
No matter what sport, people have an opinion on who is commentating & the nature of the coverage.

WRR is no different. It is a commercial venture that has to be open & accessible to as many people as possible. The light hearted entertainment angle is the result. Plus it is run on a shoe string budget & was why we have had an enforced break after the Rally of Jordan until Rally Finland.

I like WRR alot, I can have it running in the background and tune in or out of it as I please. I like the fact it does not focus totally on the cars & the event itself & that Collin drifts off describing local sights & happenings. It gives a great sense of the atmosphere & for where the rally is being held.

They acknowledge people writing in to them via email & take alot of comments on board. The music is just like any other radio station, some music I like, some I don't but then we all have different tastes.

Ideally WRR should be a bigger organisation. It should be on every weekend, when not at an WRC round then it should be at a BRC, ERC, APRC or whatever major rally is on. Maybe a magazine show running through the weeks events from across the globe in rallying. More staff & reporters would make the coverage even better than the handful they have now. But it simply does not have the budget to do so at the moment.

You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! WRR does a fantastic job for what it is budgeted for and is capable of doing.

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 14:20
My criticisms are not budgetary related at all :) Just staff related.

amberie
23rd August 2007, 20:29
Did Rally Radio kill your puppy or steal your girlfriend? Whatever grudge you have towards it, please drop it already. I hope you have better pursuits in your life to direct your energies towards. I, for one, am not going to spend any more time reading your tired attacks on WRR.
And um, have a nice day?

Daniel
29th August 2007, 08:10
Did Rally Radio kill your puppy or steal your girlfriend? Whatever grudge you have towards it, please drop it already. I hope you have better pursuits in your life to direct your energies towards. I, for one, am not going to spend any more time reading your tired attacks on WRR.
And um, have a nice day?
Ooooh bitchy :)

Sorry for actually liking a sport enough that I have the pasion to want better coverage and better journalists providing it :rolleyes:

Someone posted this video in another thread. This is how coverage should be done. No noobish commentary, no stupid attempts to make the coverage seem "live", no silly music and the commentary compliments the coverage rather than dominates it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCSUveRl2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ai4wRywdd8&mode=related&search=

doodle
29th August 2007, 11:18
Someone posted this video in another thread. This is how coverage should be done. No noobish commentary, no stupid attempts to make the coverage seem "live", no silly music and the commentary compliments the coverage rather than dominates it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCSUveRl2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ai4wRywdd8&mode=related&search=

The Rally Radio Coverage is Live and apart from the odd SSS It's the only Live Coverage there is of the WRC. As for the commentary complimenting the Coverage as these videos are of Television coverage there is no need to talk over them so much as the pictures tell you what you need to know - the only need to voice over them is to point out some basic things - Times etc.

With radio they have to bring a flavour of what's going on using nothing but words, no pictures to help and IMO they are very good at it.

as for the music you can't please everyone all the time - I hear songs on there that i hate and i hear songs on there that i love and i think it's a decent mix of old and new.

To Finish up, i think with the lack of media coverage the WRC gets anywhere else, You should be greatful that you have a team of people working to bring you live coverage for free, and as far as I'm concerned they do a great job.

Daniel
29th August 2007, 11:22
Yes but the problem is the same people do the TV coverage as well.............

DoN_cz
29th August 2007, 12:53
no they dont.

Daniel
29th August 2007, 12:55
Yes they do :rolleyes: The same people who do voice over for the coverage in English do WRR.......

doodle
29th August 2007, 13:47
No they don't - I think Becs from WRR did eurosport last year, but now it's all a guy called Paul King and he's not on WRR

Daniel
29th August 2007, 13:52
I'm fairly sure Becs still does some of it.

DoN_cz
29th August 2007, 14:01
no, she doesn`t. Atleast not on the coverage that is shown on Eurosport or ITV (produced by northone television). And as doodle pointed out, all the commentary is done by Paul King.