PDA

View Full Version : Dario changing categories?

Placid
19th August 2007, 02:49
From John Andretti, Smoke, Robby, Casey Mears, AJ, Colin Braun, Michael McDowell, Sam Hornish Jr, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Casey Neal, another rumor surfaces that Dario Franchitti may join Richard Childress in 2008.

This may be the prelude to the end of the IRL.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/08/17/rchildress.dfranchitti/index.html

geek49203
19th August 2007, 04:39
From John Andretti, Smoke, Robby, Casey Mears, AJ, Colin Braun, Michael McDowell, Sam Hornish Jr, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Casey Neal, another rumor surfaces that Dario Franchitti may join Richard Childress in 2008.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/08/17/rchildress.dfranchitti/index.html

I will bet my pension (such as it is) that this story is not at all true.

I'm covering NASCAR this weekend, and covered IRL for both Indy and MIS. I never ever saw any indication that any current IRL driver is jumping ship. They've all looked into it, and all used it for negotiation purposes, but all have remained in the IRL.

Dan Wheldon told me directly LAST YEAR that none of the teams that showed interest are ones that he'd want to work for. Given the lack of success of JPM at Chip's World, perhaps that might extend to running for Chip this season (or next).

ChicagocrewIRL
19th August 2007, 04:51
IF Dario goes anywhere, and that is a HUGE IF, HUGE HUGE HUGE, there are any number of talented charismatic drivers who would take his spot.

Take your doomsday somewhere else where it will be appreciated.

Drivers come and go, and as far as driver turnover, the IRL has a pretty darn good track record of keeping drivers around compared to some other series. (I won't mention it by name but it's initials are CCWS)

Well over half the field has been in it for 5 or more seasons .

All this would be is a prelude to your prelude of the prelude to any joy and jollies you would get from having the IRL fold. When 5 or more current drivers jump ship to NASCAR, and the whole Indy Pro Series field goes to NASCAR then come here and nail the coffin shut.

I just have to roll my eyes at some of the garbage I see on this forum, all of it wishful thinking having to do with the IRL going away. Dream on.

Sam Hornish Jr. - - 8 seasons
Helio Castroneves - - 6 seasons
Tony Kanaan - - 5 seasons
Dario Franchitti - - 5 seasons
Scott Dixon - - 5 seasons
Dan Wheldon - - 5 seasons
Buddy Rice - - 6 seasons
Scott Sharp - - 12 seasons
Tomas Scheckter - - 6 seasons
Vitor Meira - - 6 seasons

huxleypiguk
19th August 2007, 22:03
Agree with the fact that the drivers stay, but some are starting to get a bit old in the tooth. If a group of them decide to retire, move to sports cars etc, then it could upset the whole dynamic of the series.

However, don't see it at the moment do you ?

Jag_Warrior
20th August 2007, 02:24
Given the lack of success of JPM at Chip's World, perhaps that might extend to running for Chip this season (or next).

Why would Chip remove the driver that is currently leading the Nextel Cup ROY standings, is the only CGR driver to win a race so far this season in Nextel Cup... and is ahead of both of his teammates in points? :confused:

To be quite honest, this is the first time that I've seen anyone refer to Montoya's 2007 NASCAR season with the phrase "lack of success."

I bet you were going to put this guy ;) in there and just forgot.
:D

millencolin
20th August 2007, 02:46

HaHaHaHaHa! are you serious or just being sarcastic? Wow that was funny! I got my laugh for the day

geek49203
20th August 2007, 03:42
Why would Chip remove the driver that is currently leading the Nextel Cup ROY standings, is the only CGR driver to win a race so far this season in Nextel Cup... and is ahead of both of his teammates in points? :confused:

To be quite honest, this is the first time that I've seen anyone refer to Montoya's 2007 NASCAR season with the phrase "lack of success."

I bet you were going to put this guy ;) in there and just forgot.
:D

Yes, JPM won a race, on the track where we expected him to win (a road course).

Beyond that --

JPM is 19th in points, out of 30 that have run every race. His team mates are 24th and 25th. Factually you are correct that he is ahead of both of this team mates, but still is mired in the standings.

Granted, we're talking about Ganassi Racing. If you include the old Sabco days, JPM's team only has 8 wins in total, only one (JPM's) since 2002. They've never made the chase, and only once had a shot at getting in. Granted, one win is great, but beyond that, there is absolutely nothing for any of those teams to be happy about. As I said, it's not going well for JPM in Chip's world.

Then again, aside from Tony Stewart, what open-wheel (IRL, CART, CCWS or F1) driver has done well in NASCAR? Hint -- Robby Gordon, with 3 wins, is the second most successful guy....

Subaru WRX
20th August 2007, 16:50
If Dario leave the IRL better for him join Andretti Green in the....ALMS rather than Nascar :p

anyway I am sure he will stay in open wheel racing for long time

Jag_Warrior
21st August 2007, 04:59
Yes, JPM won a race, on the track where we expected him to win (a road course).

Beyond that --

I'm not sure who "we" is, but other than placing relatively well on the road courses, why would he have been expected to win against Gordon and Stewart on a road course? And was 2nd place at the Brickyard 400 also expected?

JPM is 19th in points, out of 30 that have run every race. His team mates are 24th and 25th. Factually you are correct that he is ahead of both of this team mates, but still is mired in the standings.

Any rookies ahead of him? How many vets are behind him?

Granted, we're talking about Ganassi Racing. If you include the old Sabco days, JPM's team only has 8 wins in total, only one (JPM's) since 2002. They've never made the chase, and only once had a shot at getting in. Granted, one win is great, but beyond that, there is absolutely nothing for any of those teams to be happy about. As I said, it's not going well for JPM in Chip's world.

The same Tony Stewart who has been driving stock cars since 1996. He's done well in every form of motorsport that he's participated in. I don't care for him, but I would admit that he is an exceptional talent. But he was hardly a "stock car virgin" when he got the Busch ride, which led to an excellent rookie year in Cup.

Considering what he was doing last year, if it's not going well for Montoya in "Chip's world" in 2007, I'd say there are a lot of guys who might just want to raise the white flag when 2008 hits. I've never spoken to anyone around Concord who expected Juan to be on Gordon's tail for the Cup title this year. That he is in the Top 20, and apparently getting the handle on a piggish stock car (relative to a grand prix car), has most that I know nodding in approval.

Then again, aside from Tony Stewart, what open-wheel (IRL, CART, CCWS or F1) driver has done well in NASCAR? Hint -- Robby Gordon, with 3 wins, is the second most successful guy....

Then again, aside from Juan Montoya and Mario Andretti, what open wheel driver (IRL, CART, CCWS or F1) has won the Indy 500, the CART/Champ Car championship, the 24 Hours of Daytona... and won at least one NASCAR Cup race?

Three career wins for Robby in NASCAR. Well, that's one more than he ever won in CART. :dozey:

Dario may be leaving AGR and/or the IRL. But I don't think it will be for NASCAR Cup. Who wants him (sans fat sponsor backing)? He probably has a better chance than Danica/T.J. But Dario has never been a red hot commodity. And Juan Montoya may be leaving NASCAR. But I hardly believe that Chip is going to replace him with someone who is less talented and accomplished. That defies logic. And Chip is only illogical when you get between him and a double cheese burger.

With all due respect, your assessment of Montoya's season to date is a rather unique one.

Mark in Oshawa
21st August 2007, 13:26
Dario likely isn't going anywhere, but if he did, it is to sportscars, where all older drivers tend to go. I know he still isn't a huge fan of most of the ovals, but he has had good success on them. If he wins the championship, maybe he decides this mountain is climbed and slides off to race the Acura LMP2 car with AGR. I suspect Ashley wants him safe after two upside down events in the last month....

wedge
28th August 2007, 16:54
I think Dario has kissed goodbye to IRL (an probably AGR???) with his comment about Michael's conflicting interest with Marco and the drivers championship....

geek49203
28th August 2007, 17:17
Wasn't the rumor that Dario was set to retire at the end of this year, seemingly having been relegated to TAG's latest version of Bryan Herta? Well, he won the Indy 500, and everything changed. However I still have to wonder if he's thinking of retirement or a change of some sort.

NoFender
28th August 2007, 18:01
Wasn't the rumor that Dario was set to retire at the end of this year, seemingly having been relegated to TAG's latest version of Bryan Herta? Well, he won the Indy 500, and everything changed. However I still have to wonder if he's thinking of retirement or a change of some sort.

I'd see Dario in ALMS long before NASCAR.

Another note. JPM is doing a great job in NASCAR. He's done better than most expected in his rookie year.

Mark in Oshawa
28th August 2007, 21:52
He would race with his brother, and get away from race cars that go upside down at the drop of a hat....

beachgirl
29th August 2007, 02:35
One of Dario's comments, well after the race, was that he would only talk to Michael about Sonoma when he could talk to Michael face-to-face. At this point, it will be very interesting to see if Dario chooses to drive for AGR in either series next year. It's pretty obvious to me that Michael's comment at the beginning of the year, that AGR was a team and that they all win or lose together, and they all must help get the championship, went only so far. If Dario, and TK, decide to remain, they can't help but know that they're really on their own if Michael decides to "protect" Marco at all costs and throw everybody else under the bus. There's no trust factor there anymore.

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2007, 06:35
If he doesn't get along with Mikey, then he will be in sportscars next year, unless of course he wins the Championship and then Honda, the IRL and saner heads will be telling Mikey to put Dario back in a ride next year.

The fact remains, at some point, TK and Dario are AGR's best assets, and yet it seems the team is run to the benefit of Marco and Danica as much as the guys putting up the results. I think TK and Dario can go where they like in the IRL.....but Marco hasn't yet proven he is ready to win, and Danica, well, we all know she has issues....because she of course is perfect.