PDA

View Full Version : Australian WRC location next year

raybak
19th August 2007, 01:40
Well it has been announced that the WRC will be held for the first two days of the event at the small NSW town of Kyogle, then will head back over the border to the Gold Coast for the Sunday.

Livewireshock on these forums will be right in the thick of it living only a few km's away.

The roads are supposed to be fast flowing Shire roads, will be interesting to see what they will be like, might have to head north and have a look later this year.

Ray

Christina
19th August 2007, 03:26
Do you have a link to this information? i cant find it anywhere.

I thought it was going to be held north of the gold coast, closer to Brissie? Not south down near Byron. hmm.. interesting..

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 05:07
That is astounding news. It does not surprise me. Tweed & Kyogle Shires were always in the picture.

I work for the neighbouring council in Lismore & have close links to the road crews in that area. I would assume that it would be the roads around Cawongla & closest to the Tweed. Hmmmm Toonumbar dam road & Richmond Range Roads will be great with a WRC car on them.

My only concern would be the militant hippy feral mung beans that live in those hills. They will seek every chance to create a nuisance.

GigiGalliNo1
19th August 2007, 05:57
Would the calendar be like NZ and then Aus? Close dated event like Finland and Germany? Might be doing Monte in January if not then Sweden :) As well as Jordan, Poland, Germany, Aus and NZ there was more too :p

malscar
19th August 2007, 08:34
So Ray, a 10 hour journey sounds to be on the cards.

Seems like Livewireshock may have a few tents in his yard.

raybak
19th August 2007, 10:13
Now that I've found out what roads it's on I might look at entering. Have to upgrade from the mighty WRC Charade though as it's not eligible. Might look at S1600.

Ray

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 10:30
If you have any notion of exact routes, I think we would all love to know. Might travel up there next weekend & take a closer look at some of the routes.

I am curious in how far out they intend to go?

Closer to the Gold Coast you are restricted by National Parks & feral hippies but then Bonalbo & Urbenville areas are distant.

raybak
19th August 2007, 10:33
Not sure of exact routes yet. They would have to be available via the local government. Don't they have to post up any routes for planning and residents as well.

I know here in Canberra even for blind rallies we can get maps of the routes.

Ray

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 11:25
You can guess what I will be doing tomorrow at work. Calling on my pals in Kyogle to come up with the goods.

J4MIE
19th August 2007, 11:44
Not sure of exact routes yet. They would have to be available via the local government. Don't they have to post up any routes for planning and residents as well.

I know here in Canberra even for blind rallies we can get maps of the routes.

Depends on the timescale I guess, still about 13 months to go until the event?

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 12:14
Is this around Canberra?

J4MIE
19th August 2007, 12:29
Is this around Canberra?

Near Brisbane, further up the east coast :)

Christina
19th August 2007, 12:33
Sounds like it's going to be a good 100km south of Brissie.

I had a search of google maps for you. The gold coast is Tweed Heads/coolangatta/Nerang. I shall soon perhaps be living at the bottom of Mt Tambourine, so i am quite happy with this proposed location.. it is quite acceptable.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kyogle&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.585728,153.219452&spn=0.553505,0.884399&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 15:21
It is about 90 minutes drive from the proposed service park that is to be constructed near Yatala. So remote service will be crucial.

For our overseas friends, the rally will straddle the New South Wales & Queensland border. about 100km inland from the coast. It is an ancient volcanic area. Can be very rugged in areas. With rainforests in many areas but eucalypt forests to the west. It can be torrential in the wet but the area is currently drought prone.

The shire of Kyogle is a tiny one, 10,000 people spread over a large rural area. The town of Kyogle is only about 5,000 people in total. Accommodation in that area is very scarce. There is a big hippy population in the eastern side of the shire, close to Nimbin. Other wise it is a big beef cattle raising area. Most of the hotels are located along the coast which is a tourist mecca, from the Gold Coast to Byron Bay.

There is a push to string several motorsport events together around the same time. This includes the Speed on Tweed in Murwillumbah (an Australian version of the Goodwood Festival), Rally Australia & Indy 300 (Champ Car street race) on the Gold Coast. All with in the same month.

As for myself, I live in Lismore which is a city of 40,000 30km south east of Kyogle. It is the regional administrative centre. Best airports to use would be Brisbane (international), Gold Coast or Ballina for domestic. Lismore airport can only handle turboprop aircraft.

As I have regularly worked & camped in the area, I can definitely say that the roads are nothing like the ball bearing surface that was in Western Australia. If it is wet, it can be treacherous. Some roads are in a poor state as the shire can not afford to maintain them all but no doubt special effort would be put into the rally route.

Hope this is useful & naturally as more information comes to light, I will try to pass it on to the other forum members.

Christina
19th August 2007, 15:35
Livewireshock, do you know how far Kyogle is from Canungra? (that is if you know where Canungra is..)

SubaruNorway
19th August 2007, 16:05
Bit more like Japan then Maybe? any of the ARC rounds run in this area ore similar?

Daniel
19th August 2007, 16:29
Livewireshock, do you know how far Kyogle is from Canungra? (that is if you know where Canungra is..)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Kyogle&daddr=Canungra&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=67.367527,118.476562&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.161611,153.121948&spn=1.077542,1.851196&z=9&om=1

I find it rather amusing that this rally that was supposed to bring the WRC close to a lot more people is even further from Brisbane than Rally Australia ever went from Perth in the last 7 or 8 years :mark: I don't mind driving 3 hours to get to a stage but most people don't want to do that and while I don't agree with simply running a rally on the outskirts of a city I think this is a crucial mistake.

Most people aren't going to want to drive for 3 hours and then some more just to get to the stages

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=brisbane&daddr=kyogle&sll=-28.439714,153.248291&sspn=2.149418,3.702393&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.042895,152.880249&spn=2.157426,3.702393&z=8&om=1

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 22:14

I definitely know where Cunungra is. I train at the Army base there regularly. As the crow flys, it is less than 50km across the border. But you have to drive to Beaudesert to the west before you head south. So it will still be over an hours drive.

You should take the Lions Road too to bypass Rathdowney. It is a great drivers road but it is still winding & narrow.

Livewireshock
19th August 2007, 22:18
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Kyogle&daddr=Canungra&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=67.367527,118.476562&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.161611,153.121948&spn=1.077542,1.851196&z=9&om=1

I find it rather amusing that this rally that was supposed to bring the WRC close to a lot more people is even further from Brisbane than Rally Australia ever went from Perth in the last 7 or 8 years :mark: I don't mind driving 3 hours to get to a stage but most people don't want to do that and while I don't agree with simply running a rally on the outskirts of a city I think this is a crucial mistake.

Most people aren't going to want to drive for 3 hours and then some more just to get to the stages

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=brisbane&daddr=kyogle&sll=-28.439714,153.248291&sspn=2.149418,3.702393&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.042895,152.880249&spn=2.157426,3.702393&z=8&om=1

Kyogle would be two hours at the most from Brisbane. It only takes me 2 & 1/2 hours to get there myself. It is only 90 minutes from the Gold Coast.

It is no more remote than Perth's stages.

BTW That is an easy drive too, not rushing or speeding. Google's timings are ultra conservative. Only if you eat lunch & dinner along the way.

PuddleJumper
19th August 2007, 23:55
The roads are supposed to be fast flowing Shire roads, will be interesting to see what they will be like, might have to head north and have a look later this year.
You mean they're in New Zealand? Watch out for Hobbits. :p :

Christina
20th August 2007, 03:43
I definitely know where Cunungra is. I train at the Army base there regularly. As the crow flys, it is less than 50km across the border. But you have to drive to Beaudesert to the west before you head south. So it will still be over an hours drive.

You should take the Lions Road too to bypass Rathdowney. It is a great drivers road but it is still winding & narrow.

Thanks! but i just played with that google maps thing and it gave me a shorter route going east instead. only 84km.. if only Mt Beechmont wasnt in the way!

Wouldnt most people stay on the Gold coast anyways? i mean.. it is a touristy kinda place, there are heaps of hotels and stuff..

Either way, i'm very excited about it all!

GigiGalliNo1
20th August 2007, 03:48
tina get bck to "work" :p

sollitt
20th August 2007, 04:10
That's fantastic news. I have a house at Nerang. I can see me spending some time there next year. What are the dates?

Livewireshock
20th August 2007, 05:14
You mean they're in New Zealand? Watch out for Hobbits. :p :

Shire roads in Australia refer to roads controlled by the local council. This is opposed to forestry roads, State roads & Federal highways.

All about who pays for what road by which level of government basically.

The shire roads will mean that they will be run through generally farmland regions, be fairly broad & open in order to meet road safety standards. Like NZ in it's setting but the road surface itself will be much different.

The Kyogle area is the watershed for three very large river systems & is a heavily erroded ancient volcanic area. No activity for the past 60 million years though, unlike NZ & Japan which are still active regions. Only the remnants of the peaks remain. It is heavily rainforested in parts & contains several World Heritage listed National Parks. Forestry is a major employer in the region still will many plantations & forests in the western parts of the shire.

My civilian job is Asset Management for Lismore City Council which requires me to inspect our entire road system. Some of our roads are only accessible via Kyogle Shire, so I regulary travel through there.

Last year, a video road survey was conducted on our roads. If I can, I will post a video of a 'typical' local gravel road together with the recorded roughness data etc... for all the anoraks out there. That is if I can get the data past the paranoid IT staff here on our council.

Rally Hokkaido
20th August 2007, 11:06
Bit more like Japan then Maybe? any of the ARC rounds run in this area ore similar?
Yes, possibly some of the stages might be more like the soft RJ forestry stages.
IIRC, the Queensland ARC round is about 300km to the north, different type of forest and not so much altitude.
Did the old Southern Cross International Rally go as far north as Kyogle area once?
Nearest rally I know of was one I competed in XX years ago. It was called Mountains and Lakes Rally and was on the Queensland side of the border. Again, IIRC the 'lake' part was Lake Moogerah.

Livewireshock
20th August 2007, 14:58
Yes, possibly some of the stages might be more like the soft RJ forestry stages.
IIRC, the Queensland ARC round is about 300km to the north, different type of forest and not so much altitude.
Did the old Southern Cross International Rally go as far north as Kyogle area once?
Nearest rally I know of was one I competed in XX years ago. It was called Mountains and Lakes Rally and was on the Queensland side of the border. Again, IIRC the 'lake' part was Lake Moogerah.

There has been rallies passing through the area in the distant past but nothing that current drivers would ever know or remember. There has been a club rally in the west of the shire which only began last year after an absence of nearly 30 years. The area though is heavily frequented by 4WD clubs & motocross riders.

Lake Moogerah is in Boonah Shire, just north west of Kyogle Shire. It may still play a role in the third day of rally action yet. As well as Beaudesert Shire roads. Queensland roads will have to play a role too.

As for the road conditions, do not expect them to be too soft. On the western side of Kyogle, amongst the eucalypt forests it would be a hard baked ground surface. On the eastern side, close to the rainforests, it can be a soft surface of the road but can be very shallow & rock is not too far underneath.

I can guess likely areas they will compete in, especially since they are using public roads over pure forestry roads. Yet until they announce a more definite route, it is still great speculation.

The closest ARC events is the Rally of Queensland held 300km north on technical forestry roads which are quite tricky. Apparently fast, more flowing roads have been designated for the Rally Australia stages.

The Coffs Harbour ARC rally was held 250km to the south but is not a State Championship level now & is in a different geological area.

johnny utah
22nd August 2007, 12:32
from what i have seen & understand to be the roads propsed for rally aust 2008..... this will become one of the best WRC events around.
the style of the road being consided are very quick flowing shire roads.... in most cases a full two lanes wide. From my travels of the worlds roads , i would compare the "flow' of the roads to new zeland and mabey finland.... super quick. in general, good road surface that wont break up much at all.

for the last two years , there has been a small local club event held in the area called the "boarder ranges rally". this would be the first rallying in the region for a lot of years. from running at this rally and living on the gold coast, i can confirm aprox 70-80 minute drive to kyogle, where the proposed rally central service will be. I find it very interesing that the person who has run this event , has been working very close with gary connelly for many years ( gary connelly started & ran rally aus in perth untill 2 years ago, and is putting this new event together ), so mabey this event has been a gentle test of the area.
there is some in car footage from this event on youtube, under border ranges rally... if you wanta feel.

the gold coast is the main tourist point of australia, with some of the best beachs in the world, and a pop of just over 500'000..... just over an hours drive from the proposed rally site...... ooohhh yeah... and the gold coast is chris atkkinsons home town.... he recieves a fair bit of home town support here on the local media.
another hour up the road is brisbane, australias third biggest city with a pop of 1.8 million ( from memory)

believe me... from what i understand, if gary can get the roads he wants, and everything falls into line... this will be great.

roll on rally aus 2008.

Christina
22nd August 2007, 13:05
The gold coast is the main tourist point of australia, with some of the best beachs in the world

I disagree! :p : Perth has the best beaches in the world! but the worst government. :(

Daniel
22nd August 2007, 13:06
I disagree! :p : Perth has the best beaches in the world! but the worst government. :(
Not a spot on the lovely beaches up here in North Wales *cough*

Agree with you on the stupid government :p

Oooooh we're making a profit on an event! Can't have that :p

Livewireshock
23rd August 2007, 01:12
Not a spot on the lovely beaches up here in North Wales *cough*

Agree with you on the stupid government :p

Oooooh we're making a profit on an event! Can't have that :p

Speaking of profit & silly governments. I am now going to get paid to visit Rally NZ next week.

Lismore City Council, who I work for, has specified myself to go on a "fact finding tour" to find what this rallying thing is all about for them. It is like a dream come true.

It means that I will extend my original holiday by 3 days & have my hire car paid for & I will be reimbursed for various out of pocket items including changing my flights. I was going there anyway, but with Rally Oz to be on our doorstep, the focus has changed.

Naturally they wish for me to do somethings for them while I am there. Meetings with the different District Councils & their tourism bodies whilst there. Plus a lot of extra photos to be taken & reports to be presented when I return.

P.S. I avoid the beaches here & swim at the many waterholes beneath the rainforest waterfalls here. Not too many of them in Perth or Wales. LOL

Daniel
23rd August 2007, 07:52
You poor man ;)

quigs
24th August 2007, 01:21
12-14 September 2008, according to the WRC 08 calendar.

Looking forward to this, as it's where i live!

Cheers, GQ

Livewireshock
24th August 2007, 10:59
12-14 September 2008, according to the WRC 08 calendar.

Looking forward to this, as it's where i live!

Cheers, GQ

That is until the FIA makes a final decision later in the year. It is still a draft until the fate of Cyprus & Poland is known. October has been bandied about for Rally Australia by some local sources.

Welcome to the forum, Quigs. Where abouts do you live?

quigs
24th August 2007, 12:05
Thank you for having me on board.

I'm at Wollongbar, Livewireshock, and in a past life I was a producer/director of motorsport for television.

I look forward to meeting you, and enjoy your trip to the NZ round!

Cheers, GQ

Daniel
24th August 2007, 12:51

I'm at Wollongbar, Livewireshock, and in a past life I was a producer/director of motorsport for television.

Cheers, GQ
AS long as your surname isn't Smailes you're welcome :D

Livewireshock
24th August 2007, 13:08

Cheers, GQ

So quite close by. My parents moved from Wollongbar just earlier this year.

Hopefully we can meet up soon enough.

In the meantime, here are some images of the roads around Kyogle taken today. They are alot closer to the town than the Urbenville roads in the Youtube videos posted earlier in this thread.

The day was overcast with passing showers & the area has had over 50mm of rain during the previous few days. Well above the average monthly rainfall for this month. However September is generally the driest month of the year here.

http://lh6.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66m8VwGMI/AAAAAAAAEQo/MUTSzqf3agk/s800/IMG001.jpg
Killaloe Road from Green Pidgeon Road

http://lh4.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66ocVwGNI/AAAAAAAAEQw/w578ZOyjJfQ/s800/IMG002.jpg
Close up of road surface, Green Pidgeon Road

http://lh4.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66pcVwGOI/AAAAAAAAEQ4/TV8MbrcrlGc/s800/IMG003.jpg
Green Pidgeon Road, from Killaloe Road

http://lh4.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66rcVwGPI/AAAAAAAAERA/EOSIJy6uJwU/s800/IMG004.jpg
Typical one lane timber bridge, Collins Creek Road

http://lh3.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66tMVwGQI/AAAAAAAAERI/7IB5FVDGO9c/s800/IMG005.jpg
Close up of timber bridge

Livewireshock
24th August 2007, 13:19
http://lh3.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66uMVwGRI/AAAAAAAAERQ/kgTYJAg6NPo/s800/IMG006.jpg
Kyogle Showgrounds, potential remote service site

http://lh4.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66vcVwGSI/AAAAAAAAERY/9NoDiaRA0gg/s800/IMG007.jpg
Eden Creek Road from Afterlee Road junction

http://lh6.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66w8VwGTI/AAAAAAAAERg/8Ns_4_rHl6M/s800/IMG008.jpg
Afterlee Road from Dam Access Road

http://lh4.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66ycVwGUI/AAAAAAAAERo/20S764cKk5o/s800/IMG009.jpg
Dam Access Road from Afterlee Road

http://lh6.google.com.au/bray.graeme/Rs66z8VwGVI/AAAAAAAAERw/4s7t9Oe1OF0/s800/IMG010.jpg
Worst section of road found on the day along Iron Pot Creek Road

bowler
24th August 2007, 13:30
looks very fast

Livewireshock
24th August 2007, 13:38
looks very fast

Considering I was able to toddle about comfortably in these wet conditions at about 60 to 80 km/h in a (cough, cough) ahem, um errr, Honda Civic Hybrid. The conditions of the roads is not bad at all.

You have got to love government attempts to be green.

SubaruNorway
24th August 2007, 16:25
Looks just like New Zealand doesen't it?

Livewireshock
24th August 2007, 16:39
Looks just like New Zealand doesen't it?

Without the cambers. But I think the wet weather made for a darker than normal look.

It will depend on the final route selection. Some roads in the area have a greater sandstone and/or clay roadbase. Also some roads are more heavily lined with trees. I would have taken more varied shots of the area but it was too wet to get out of the car.

When they dry out & I know the actual route, then I will take more pics.

quigs
27th August 2007, 14:00
No I'm not Smailes :) :) :)

Livewireshock: Gradys Creek Road, I'll take some pics when I'm onsite on Weds and put them up. The five creek causeways will be perfect for the event, before a transit leg to the (Lions Rd) tick gate, then on to the rollercoaster, which, yes I know is tar, but off-camber big-air will be fabulous for all spectators. You must be going to NZ very soon...

Got a lot of family in Kyogle, I think they started it...(well, in more recent times, I'm sure you get my drift).

If anyone here saw the (Australian) SBS highlights package (WRC Germany) broadcast on Sunday 25/8 1300-1400 (0300Z GMT), it was surprisingly curious how that countryside was so similar to where Australia 08 will, apparently, be run...

BTW: excellent pics, know the roads well.

cheers, GQ

GigiGalliNo1
3rd September 2007, 06:45
from http://www.rally.com.au

"With the countdown to Rally Australia’s debut just over a year away teams from the WRC have begun investigating what they will face at its new location in Queensland. Prior to last weekend’s Round in New Zealand Citroen sent former leading co-driver Daniel Grataloup to the Sunshine State to drive the course, rally.com.au’s Ryan Lahiff spoke with the Frenchman on what he uncovered.

With recent details on the event indicating that the three day course will feature two Leg’s south of the Queensland border in New South Wales and a Leg in and around the Gold Coast hinterland, the shape and nature of the all-new Rally Australia is starting to become clear.

“The only problem I see is that the service park will be far from some of the stages, although not as far as we had in Perth sometimes. I think the event will need to use remote service on the far stages,” said Daniel.

“The service park is in a nice place, very close to the airport (Coolangatta Airport) and to Brisbane, and there are lots of hotels very close to the service park, it will be good. It is a pity maybe that the people in the service park perhaps will not get to see the beautiful landscape of the stages.”

http://www.rally.com.au/home/features/articleid=2568

SubaruNorway
3rd September 2007, 16:04
This might been answered before but this will only be a candidate event, not a full wrc right?

Daniel
3rd September 2007, 16:08
It wil be a WRC event in 2008 yes.

SubaruNorway
3rd September 2007, 16:12
It wil be a WRC event in 2008 yes.

Big risk don't you think?

Daniel
3rd September 2007, 16:17
Not really. I suspect a lot of the organisation is done by the same people who did Rally Australia in 2006 and for the 17 or so years before and if they're not directly involved I'm sure there will be some help.

Livewireshock
4th September 2007, 08:48
Big risk don't you think?

As mentioned above, it is virtually the same team that ran Rally Australia in Perth so it will run smoothly in an organisational sense. As for basic infrastructure, I can ensure that Kyogle are pulling out all stops to ensure a great event.

Having just returned from Rally NZ and being given the chance to be a fly-on-the-wall has given myself a great insight in what we need to do. I can not thank the Rally NZ organisers enough for their help & dedication to the sport.

johnny utah
6th September 2007, 13:49
the man who started, and in basic terms ran rally australia in perth untill 2004 was Gary Connelly..... winning many "best WRC of the year" awards......Gary is the man putting this new event together..... with out sounding dumb, if anyone can make it happen,he can.
BRING IT ON.

Daniel
6th September 2007, 13:51
Problem is Gary is a idiot whose actions nearly ended up in the death of Daniel Grataloup in 2001 and cost Colin the championship purely because Gary was a petty man. Grist had some choice words to say about Gary when I talked to him in 2005.

Camelopard
6th September 2007, 14:58
Problem is Gary is a idiot whose actions nearly ended up in the death of Daniel Grataloup in 2001 and cost Colin the championship purely because Gary was a petty man.

Agreed......

Daniel
6th September 2007, 15:17
Oh wait. You put one too many full stops in that post. I'm going to ask a mod to pull it.

- Gary Connelly

sollitt
6th September 2007, 23:25
Problem is Gary is a idiot whose actions nearly ended up in the death of Daniel Grataloup in 2001 and cost Colin the championship purely because Gary was a petty man. Grist had some choice words to say about Gary when I talked to him in 2005.

Daniel, until now I didn't realise that it was Gary Connelly who turned up late at the start order selection process, even after they'd been called.
Nor did I realise that it was Gary who determined that Delecour would take penalties and start #1 on the road to afford Colin some protection from the heavy metal.
Or, for that matter, that it was Gary who threw Delecour's car off the road and into the trees despite the fact that many other drivers manage to run at the front of the pack without doing so.

Further, given that Colin left Australia with a lead in the series and that the only remaining round was his home event which he subsequently led until typically destroying his car early on, I hadn't considered that it was Gary who was to blame for his not winning the championship.

Knowing a little about how rallies are run, I would presume that the procedures to be followed at the end of leg one were detailed in the event's ASR's or, at the very least, a bulletin.
You see, there's a thing about regulations. If they are not followed to the letter the wrong team can get an advantage. This can lead to protests, stewards hearings and often to court. There is, after all, a lot of money at stake.

Applying rules as they are written is not being petty, it is vital.

Gary Connelly is a pioneer in Australian motorsport. Dedicated and visionary and deserving of considerably more respect than that shown in your utterings.

Livewireshock
6th September 2007, 23:31
It is interesting that Grataloup is the first overseas member of a WRC team to comment on the 2008 Rally Oz route. Which he has given a thumbs up to. Host for his trip? Gary Connelly

Grataloup's comments featured on the absolute speed of the prospective stages and the need for chicanes etc. Another comment was about the muddy sections which were exceptionally soft & boggy due to rainforest environment & unseasonal high rainfall during visit. The proposed dates for next year is generally dry.

Daniel
6th September 2007, 23:51
It is interesting that Grataloup is the first overseas member of a WRC team to comment on the 2008 Rally Oz route. Which he has given a thumbs up to. Host for his trip? Gary Connelly

Grataloup's comments featured on the absolute speed of the prospective stages and the need for chicanes etc. Another comment was about the muddy sections which were exceptionally soft & boggy due to rainforest environment & unseasonal high rainfall during visit. The proposed dates for next year is generally dry.
Perhaps some people have a job to do and don't see it prudent to air their true feelings in public when it's happened 6 years ago now? If it was me I'd have punched him in the gut and said "That's for my punctured lung in 2001. Now we're even. Lets get on with having a look at the proposed rally route because I'm a professional and don't let petty rivalry get in the way of my job and the sport"

But answer me this.

Would Delecour have been driving in conditions as slippery as the ones that caused him to crash on Wellington Dam in 2001 if not for Gary Connelly's anal interpretation of the rules?

The answer to that is no!

If Delecour was driving in LESS slippery conditions it would be reasonable to assume that there was less chance of him having an accident right?

All I'm saying is that if Grataloup had died that day then it was Connelly who was responsible for putting him in that position. Ford only did as any team would do in the situation and Delecour was only doing what any driver would do.

Daniel
6th September 2007, 23:56
Daniel, until now I didn't realise that it was Gary Connelly who turned up late at the start order selection process, even after they'd been called.
Nor did I realise that it was Gary who determined that Delecour would take penalties and start #1 on the road to afford Colin some protection from the heavy metal.
Or, for that matter, that it was Gary who threw Delecour's car off the road and into the trees despite the fact that many other drivers manage to run at the front of the pack without doing so.

Further, given that Colin left Australia with a lead in the series and that the only remaining round was his home event which he subsequently led until typically destroying his car early on, I hadn't considered that it was Gary who was to blame for his not winning the championship.

Knowing a little about how rallies are run, I would presume that the procedures to be followed at the end of leg one were detailed in the event's ASR's or, at the very least, a bulletin.
You see, there's a thing about regulations. If they are not followed to the letter the wrong team can get an advantage. This can lead to protests, stewards hearings and often to court. There is, after all, a lot of money at stake.

Applying rules as they are written is not being petty, it is vital.

Gary Connelly is a pioneer in Australian motorsport. Dedicated and visionary and deserving of considerably more respect than that shown in your utterings.
Yes the rules are there for a reason and if someone breaks a rule to gain advantage or if breaking the rule endangers their safety or the safety of others then there's a case to answer.

Anyone who was running the rally and interpreting the rules withing the spirit that they were created within would have known that Colin didn't really violate the spirit of the rules. He simply didn't jump through each hoop at the correct time. I was there standing directly across from the stage as each driver chose their starting position and as with anyone who knew what was going on I saw with my own eyes the pettiness and stupidity of one man. The fact is that before the drivers chose their positions Colin was there so he was on time to choose his position. He merely didn't meet up at the rendezvous point at the time he was supposed to which yes is a mistake but was it deliberate and done in an attempt to gain advantage? No.

I spoke to a Rally Australia official who said that Colin not being allowed to choose his position wasn't the first time that Connelly and himself had locked horns during that rally. It was merely the first time that this pathetic excuse for a rally organiser got the chance to penalise him and he jumped at it.

Your point about Colin destroying his car is a valid one. But he had been handicapped in Australia by Connelly and this made his job in Wales a harder one. Colin will blame no one else than himself for that crash but Connelly didn't make it any easier now did he?

sollitt
7th September 2007, 01:49
Daniel. Please accept my apologies. I mistakenly thought that you followed rallying.

If you did, you would know that rallying is not just about what happens between the start & finish controls of a special stage.

You would also know that at this level of the sport there is no "spirit in which the rules are written".
There are only The Rules ... which state what you can and can't do and what you must and mustn't do.

There is no margin for error whether intentional or not. Unsurprisingly this is common to most sports.

In rallying there are penalties for turning up early and penalties for turning up late. And there are penalties for many other things that some might find 'petty' but they are part of the sport.
The competitors know this, the officials know this, the team managers know this.

If anybody transgresses and is duly penalised they have only themselves to blame.

I spoke to a Rally Australia official who said that Colin not being allowed to choose his position wasn't the first time that Connelly and himself had locked horns during that rally. It was merely the first time that this pathetic excuse for a rally organiser got the chance to penalise him and he jumped at it.
I guess if you run a corporate with 5 or 6 hundred employees they're not all going to like every decision you make.
Running a rally is bit like that with a similar number of people except that it's very much a pressure cooker environment. Those with responsibility are required to make the hard decisions however unpalatable they may be and I doubt that Connelly took any pleasure from this one at all.

Your point about Colin destroying his car is a valid one. Thankyou. I like to make a habit of it.

Sadly your comments in this thread and particularly this one
if Grataloup had died that day then it was Connelly who was responsible are not only naive and childish, they are also offensive.
I would hate to think that they are representative of your true character.

You would do well to remember that it was the talent and committment of Gary Connelly who gave Australia, and the rally world, many great WRC rounds.

I wish the team well for next years event which I'm sure will be fantastic.

bowler
7th September 2007, 05:57

I can not understand how you could draw this conclusion.

I saw the crash, and didn't see Garry anywhere near the car. How you can attempt to blame the Clerk of Course for a competitor losing control is beyond me.

I guess that is why you are where you are and why Garry just gets on with organising another rally in Australia.

I guess you don't know who spent the most time at Daniels bedside in Perth either.

Shame on you Daniel: a cheap and ill informed comment

GigiGalliNo1
7th September 2007, 06:35
So if a different driver drove before Delecour and crashed, we would still have this argument?

Btw... what is Delecour doing with him self?

Daniel
7th September 2007, 08:17
Daniel. Please accept my apologies. I mistakenly thought that you followed rallying.

If you did, you would know that rallying is not just about what happens between the start & finish controls of a special stage.

You would also know that at this level of the sport there is no "spirit in which the rules are written".
There are only The Rules ... which state what you can and can't do and what you must and mustn't do.

There is no margin for error whether intentional or not. Unsurprisingly this is common to most sports.

In rallying there are penalties for turning up early and penalties for turning up late. And there are penalties for many other things that some might find 'petty' but they are part of the sport.
The competitors know this, the officials know this, the team managers know this.

If anybody transgresses and is duly penalised they have only themselves to blame.

I guess if you run a corporate with 5 or 6 hundred employees they're not all going to like every decision you make.
Running a rally is bit like that with a similar number of people except that it's very much a pressure cooker environment. Those with responsibility are required to make the hard decisions however unpalatable they may be and I doubt that Connelly took any pleasure from this one at all.

Thankyou. I like to make a habit of it.

Sadly your comments in this thread and particularly this one are not only naive and childish, they are also offensive.
I would hate to think that they are representative of your true character.

You would do well to remember that it was the talent and committment of Gary Connelly who gave Australia, and the rally world, many great WRC rounds.

I wish the team well for next years event which I'm sure will be fantastic.
Thanks for taking my quote out of context :D

Daniel
7th September 2007, 09:33
I can not understand how you could draw this conclusion.

I saw the crash, and didn't see Garry anywhere near the car. How you can attempt to blame the Clerk of Course for a competitor losing control is beyond me.

I guess that is why you are where you are and why Garry just gets on with organising another rally in Australia.

I guess you don't know who spent the most time at Daniels bedside in Perth either.

Shame on you Daniel: a cheap and ill informed comment
Shame on YOU for siding with the petty jobsworth rather than wanting the rules interpreted within the spirit in which they were created and letting the regulations get used a petty individual to extract revenge upon someone he'd had a coming together with. It's the sign of a professional to leave out petty personal rivalries. Connelly didn't have the class to do that.

It's sad that people like Gary, Solitt and yourself exist in this sport at a high level. If you agree with Gary and would do what he did then you're no better or less petty than him. I could understand if Colin had been 20 minutes late for chosing his position and had the advantage of chosing his position after getting updated weather information or something but he wasn't late to chose his spot and he wouldn't have gained any advantage if he was allowed to chose his position as he should have been rather than being at the rendezvous point a little earlier. Yes rallying is about rules and regulations and if someone gets caught abusing the regulations then they should be punished. Everyone knew what putting Colin first on the road would do to his title hopes and rather than levying an appropriate punishment for what is such a minor oversight Gary did to Colin what he knew would hurt him.

As I said I blame the clerk of the course for screwing around with the rally because of a petty rivalry he was having with a driver.

Livewireshock
7th September 2007, 11:10
Shame on YOU for siding with the petty jobsworth rather than wanting the rules interpreted within the spirit in which they were created and letting the regulations get used a petty individual to extract revenge upon someone he'd had a coming together with. It's the sign of a professional to leave out petty personal rivalries. Connelly didn't have the class to do that.

It's sad that people like Gary, Solitt and yourself exist in this sport at a high level. If you agree with Gary and would do what he did then you're no better or less petty than him. I could understand if Colin had been 20 minutes late for chosing his position and had the advantage of chosing his position after getting updated weather information or something but he wasn't late to chose his spot and he wouldn't have gained any advantage if he was allowed to chose his position as he should have been rather than being at the rendezvous point a little earlier. Yes rallying is about rules and regulations and if someone gets caught abusing the regulations then they should be punished. Everyone knew what putting Colin first on the road would do to his title hopes and rather than levying an appropriate punishment for what is such a minor oversight Gary did to Colin what he knew would hurt him.

As I said I blame the clerk of the course for screwing around with the rally because of a petty rivalry he was having with a driver.

Please stop this "I'm holier than thou" routine.

There are at least two sides to a story and for all we know there are probably more. So stop making presumptions & stating allegations with your own held biases. Stick to the thread or otherwise you can start another for yourself to continue your ranting & raving.

In the meantime, I have meetings for most of next week for how Rally Australia can be a great event for the competitor, spectator & the local community alike in northern New South Wales. It will be a top class magnificent event due to the hard work of over 1,500 people & not one sole man.

Daniel
7th September 2007, 11:55
Please stop this "I'm holier than thou" routine.

There are at least two sides to a story and for all we know there are probably more. So stop making presumptions & stating allegations with your own held biases. Stick to the thread or otherwise you can start another for yourself to continue your ranting & raving.

In the meantime, I have meetings for most of next week for how Rally Australia can be a great event for the competitor, spectator & the local community alike in northern New South Wales. It will be a top class magnificent event due to the hard work of over 1,500 people & not one sole man.
Listen. Someone stated that because Gary Connelly was involved it would be a success and I merely stated that Gary isn't quite the guy he appears to be. Gary publicly screwed Colin over. Max Mosley has never done such a thing yet is labelled as the anti-christ of rallying. Yet Gary seems to have a good reputation :mark: This forum is about discussion right? If someone makes a statement and I don't agree with it them I'm entitled to disagree and provide reasons and evidence of my opinion.

There may be two sides to the story BUT that's 2 members of Rally Australia staff that have agreed with me that Gary was simply being an ass and a certain Nicky Grist who chose to have a few "choice" words about him as well. I chose to believe them as they were actually there and part of the organisation when it happened rather than a TRD salesman, a person who appears to have some involvement with the WRC but has never come out and said at what level that is at and someone who is working on Rally Australia in 2008 . All the comebacks have merely been heresay and have just assumed that Gary has done nothing wrong rather than actually providing evidence to suggest otherwise or even justification for his actions.

I can stand here hand on heart and say that I saw Colin on the stage in 2001 ready to chose his starting position before the others chose their position and that 2 officials involved in the year to year organisation of Rally Australia at a relatively high level can confirm that Gary had previously that week had a coming together with Colin. Plus if you really want to get first hand evidence of what happened ask Nicky or Colin about what happened. If you want to provide evidence to the contrary? Feel free!!!!!!

It's not a bias either. If I had a dislike of Connelly previously and then this happened and it clouded my judgement you could accuse me of being biased. But my only reason for disliking Connelly is because of his public meddling with a WRC event for the most petty of reasons. Previous to what happened in 2001 Connelly was just the clerk of the course and I had no opinion good or bad about him.

Livewireshock
7th September 2007, 14:21
There is nothing more dangerous than half a truth.

You may know certain pieces of the puzzle but it does not mean you know the whole facts or truth either. For the rest, you are guessing and/or accepting here say yourself.

I am not for or against anything in regards to Gary. I also strongly believe that everyone is entitled to have an opinion & to express it, but they do not have the right to impress that opinion on anyone else who do not wish it to be so.

You have stated your opinion. Others have expressed theirs. Time to let it rest.

Let us just stick to the topic of this thread.

So as there is no bad blood & to show I am not hiding behind anonymity on the net. I work for the Local Government area in NSW that will host some 260km of stages for Rally Australia. Twelve months will fly by with all the items we need to look at & work on to ensure a better event than Perth ever hosted. I am part of a service crew in the Australian Rally Championship for the past couple of years & I am not a part of the Rally Australia staff.

bowler
7th September 2007, 23:28
I am looking forward to a very good Rally Australia next year.

The roads look fast, and should hold up well.

This will provide a very similar car set up to New Zealand, and should produce some good competition.

The Gold Coast has good hotel infrastructure, and should provide a popular base.

Bring it on!!

datto57
7th September 2007, 23:33
Can't wait until the date is confirmed so I can plan my time off work to be a stage official. Much easier to get to then WA.

mercury8
8th September 2007, 01:28
Big job ahead there Livewireshock.Good luck with it all.Myself and a few mates will be camping down there for the event and I am really looking forward to it. Bring it on!

Pugdriver
16th September 2007, 01:52
According to RallySport Magazine - NZ Natterings - a member from SWRT has received a copy of the Kyogle route and both Citroen and Ford had someone to drive the stages.
Hmm - I'm a resident and if anyone cares to drive Collins Creek Road route you'll see we perform rally stuff on every trip.

Livewireshock
16th September 2007, 13:41
According to RallySport Magazine - NZ Natterings - a member from SWRT has received a copy of the Kyogle route and both Citroen and Ford had someone to drive the stages.
Hmm - I'm a resident and if anyone cares to drive Collins Creek Road route you'll see we perform rally stuff on every trip.

No exact route has been distributed or been officially released. It was a general guide to roads in the area & possible routes. As the interview with Citreon's Grataloup said, speed restriction measures will still need to be put in place yet. Plus it has to be put before Kyogle Council yet.

Having said that, living at Collins Creek, you will almost certainly have a front gate vantage point. Expect stages from Horseshoe Creek across to Gladys Creek, Homesleigh Rd, Hillyard Rd into Webb Rd, Ettrick to Sextonville, Boomi, Eden Creek Rd along to Wiangaree & Iron Pot Creek Rd around to Toonumbar Dam. Barkers Vale is an desired area but all the communes near there will be troublesome to placate.

Zeakiwi
19th September 2007, 01:59
Is the new Rally Aus region a Bunyip area ?
Will the wrc cars drag any of those rocks out of the road surface ?
Is there any tie in with the Caloundra event as many wrc events tend to shift about a bit over time ?

quigs
19th September 2007, 04:13
Judging by the 'behind-the-scenes' activity around here, I'd say that Kyogle will be the centre of the universe for the event.

This is a truly fabulous location for the WRC and if some of the more interesting 'roads' are chosen, the competitors might get a bit wet...

This will be a true test of the drivers and navs ability and bravery.

I hope it rains, there are sections of the 'roads' where even a proper 4wd can slide off at less than 10km/h, due to 'traction issues' :D

So many surface varieties ;)

Trees line much of the roads, as do stock fences, it's mountainous and there are lots of gullies...

And for some added spice, the wildlife (native and feral) likes to play chicken with unsuspecting drivers...

Then there are yowies, would be great if there were a few night stages...

There's some very weird noises emanating from those hills

This location may be only a few hours from Brisbane and the Gold Coast, but I wouldn't like to be lost in the border ranges..

Have a read up on the loss of the Stinson, a passenger plane which disappeared somewhere near O'Reillys, in the 1930s - it was a while back, but much of the country is still very remote...

A quick question, guys, can I put up pics on this forum?
If so I'll send some pics of the roads/region etc

GQ

mercury8
23rd September 2007, 10:27
Any pics of the Yowies!!!!

buffalo
24th October 2007, 03:36
Looks like no WRC round in Australia next year :( :(

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2046&Itemid=2

Rally Australia will not be held next year after planning delays forced the event organizer, Ron Brown, to cancel next year’s event, according to a report in today’s Brisbane Courier Mail.

The event, which was last held in Western Australia in 2006, was supposed to run in south east Queensland next September, however a continual lack of information about the rally has had rally insiders fearing for the future of the event.

This fear has been confirmed with organisers, the I-METT group, who are behind the $650 million project to build a lavish motorsport precinct at Norwell, near the Gold Coast, announcing that they had been forced to delay hosting the WRC round next year because of unforeseen planning delays.

I-METT boss Ron Brown informed CAMS of the decision on Monday. 

RallySport Magazine contacted CAMS today, but national Rally Manager, Campbell Andrea, was unavailable for comment.

TKM
24th October 2007, 04:03
Comes as no surprise, will probably screw any chance of getting it back again now. Shame, I was looking forward to it being on the more appropriate side of the country so I could make the trip up to QLD to watch it.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 07:43
I told you all having Connelly was no advantage........

Mickey T
24th October 2007, 07:50
Looks like no WRC round in Australia next year :( :(

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2046&Itemid=2

Rally Australia will not be held next year after planning delays forced the event organizer, Ron Brown, to cancel next year’s event, according to a report in today’s Brisbane Courier Mail.

The event, which was last held in Western Australia in 2006, was supposed to run in south east Queensland next September, however a continual lack of information about the rally has had rally insiders fearing for the future of the event.

This fear has been confirmed with organisers, the I-METT group, who are behind the $650 million project to build a lavish motorsport precinct at Norwell, near the Gold Coast, announcing that they had been forced to delay hosting the WRC round next year because of unforeseen planning delays.

I-METT boss Ron Brown informed CAMS of the decision on Monday. 

RallySport Magazine contacted CAMS today, but national Rally Manager, Campbell Andrea, was unavailable for comment.

deserves its own thread. plenty will be disappointed, including me. no excuse to go home now...

Anti-Lag-Rocks
24th October 2007, 10:11
deserves its own thread. plenty will be disappointed, including me. no excuse to go home now...

I too was already planning a trip back (home) to Australia from the UK next year. Was getting to the point of buying air tickets and everything, however this is a real shame. Of course with everything - any trip normally coincides with a WRC round, this is a little frustrating, and disappointing for Australia overall.

I really hope they can get it for 2009 though, as the effort they are putting into it really deserves the round.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 10:38
I too was already planning a trip back (home) to Australia from the UK next year. Was getting to the point of buying air tickets and everything, however this is a real shame. Of course with everything - any trip normally coincides with a WRC round, this is a little frustrating, and disappointing for Australia overall.

I really hope they can get it for 2009 though, as the effort they are putting into it really deserves the round.
They won't have a round in 2009. It's going to be 12 rounds then which means cutting the championship down. They had long enough to organise an event and weren't up to it. If Perth gets the event back we might see a Rally Australia 2009 but I doubt it. Rally NZ doesn't need Rally Australia to survive and as soon as people realise that pairing events is moronic they'll realise that Rally Oz has gone the same way as the Safari. An event that used to be good but just isn't in the championship for one of more reasons.

Livewireshock
24th October 2007, 11:23
Classic tale of the chicken or the egg.

Trying to rely on private funding rather than total government backing, organisers have invested in a large motorsport complex which has been delayed to be built.

The 2008 event was due to be a staged at a temporary venue which could not be secured with the Gold Coast already disrupted with Indy preparations & other factors. Basically things were in place to stage things in NSW around Kyogle, but it was the matters north of the border that stalled the proposal to host the event next year. Courting the Queensland Government for support, it would not look good if the first event was held across the border in NSW.

The long term goal was to host the event at the i-Mett site at Norwell, between Brisbane & the Gold Coast. It is planned to be built on former sugar cane fields that has a 25 year moritorium on it against development. However, community, educational & sporting facilities were excempt, thus the race circuit is being built under these criteria. Queensland government has given plenty of support in facilitating the planning process, however other developers have taken exception to the preferential treatment that i-Mett has received.

Once the approval occurs on this development, the required funding will be made available. The WRC is the only sporting event secured for the venue, so it is crucial to it's future too. A purpose built service park, super special & lengthy gravel stages would be built first. A Herman Tilke designed circuit will be built afterwards.

The 2009 onwards FIA rotational policy would have intimidated backers who wanted a long term investment too. So funding outside of that linked to the circuit going ahead would be harder to find.

Camelopard
24th October 2007, 11:28
I told you all having Connelly was no advantage........

:D

Livewireshock
24th October 2007, 14:00
Another conspiracy theory to add to the mix.

Holding Rally Australia in 2009 was always more beneficial to it's organisers, due to proper desired facilities becoming available.

Would this mean that Rally NZ would be amongst the first rallies forced to sit out the 2009 WRC season under the rotation system?

I wonder if it was advantageous to give Rally NZ a 2008 slot on their own, rather than the original back to back arrangement, all in order to sit out 2009.

No matter which way it goes, the WRC rotation system will only be ugly & create more damage than it will heal.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 14:09
Another conspiracy theory to add to the mix.

Holding Rally Australia in 2009 was always more beneficial to it's organisers, due to proper desired facilities becoming available.

Would this mean that Rally NZ would be amongst the first rallies forced to sit out the 2009 WRC season under the rotation system?

I wonder if it was advantageous to give Rally NZ a 2008 slot on their own, rather than the original back to back arrangement, all in order to sit out 2009.

No matter which way it goes, the WRC rotation system will only be ugly & create more damage than it will heal.
Or they just couldn't get their act together and get the event properly ready to run by 2008. I somehow doubt that in 2009 they're going to force out a proven event to let what is essentially a candidate event run. They will at the very least force them to run the event as a candidate event with all the facilities in place before giving it the green light. Those facilities will never get built for an event that will not be there year after year. Clearly the organisers bet on the wrong horse and have lost out.

Plenty of events run without big purpose built facilities. Why did they think they needed to be different? :mark:

Livewireshock
24th October 2007, 15:06
Plenty of events run without big purpose built facilities. Why did they think they needed to be different? :mark:

The simple answer is that members of the Rally Australia organisers own the new facility & it is the running of this venue that will pay for the rally. Self-sufficency in it's funding. There is no way government is going to fund the event & they wish to have independence to avoid a repeat of WA's shock withdrawal, caused by a government number cruncher.

And no it is not the WRC event that would be the big money spinner at the i-Mett motorsport complex but from the road racing. With a better quality circuit, it is expected to take over from the lacklusture Queensland Raceway's "paperclip". Hosting V8supercar racing & having nearly all Queensland based teams within 5km of the circuit, test days will be where the day to day revenue is sourced. It will have 8-lane freeway & direct rail access so spectator access is assured, alot better than getting to or from Willowbank.

Plus the theme park, industrial, college & other income streams. All to ensure that the WRC is funded. Owned by rally people for rally people. Plus that is why the purpose built rally stages & service park are being built, to show that rally is a fully fledged equal discipline Rally is not a side adjunct or poor cousin to our road racing brethren here.

So this should show why Rally Australia is integral to getting the motorsport complex built & why getting the motorsport complex is imperative to hosting Rally Australia well into the future.

I am not personally involved with i-Mett but I do have an interest in having Rally Australia arrrive in 2009 working with Kyogle Shire Council & Lismore City Council.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 15:24
At the end of they day they're no different to the government. If they don't get the return on the investment that they want and can make more money from having a kayak appreciation day they will. Having it as a commercial enterprise in no way ensures it's success. Plus then there's the fact that the FIA can host an event anywhere else in the world. This isn't V8 Stupidcars where there are only a few circuits and even less have facilities sufficient to support a race so there's not much choice. You can have a stage anywhere. Most people aren't arsed about a superspecial so just put it somewhere that already has facilities and spend money on getting a good route in place and preparing the roads well rather than creating good facilities that no one really needs or wants (I speak of the facilities for a superspecial). In Finland there were places where I couldn't buy food or take a leak in a toilet but I didn't care because it was organised well.

mercury8
27th October 2007, 01:15
Very dissapointed on reading the news of the postponing of the 2008 event. :( Had plans well under way to make a great weekend of rallying. Something that worries me though is the talk of the new facility needing to be built for the event to go ahead.As much as I would truely love to see this happen I can't really see it being done for several reasons not the least being the rate of growth and development in this prime development area.The Gold Coast and Brisbane are rapidly coming closer together and will eventually join and this proposed area will become prime residential real estate in my eyes with opportunities for a Sanctuary Cove type complex.Darlington Park was built well away from residential areas and was set to become a very good facility but was eventually overcome by stupid decisions from our goverments and that put it to bed unfortunately.With the Norwell complex basically straight across the highway and a lot closer to Moreton Bay I just can't see it happening but mind you I would love to be proven wrong.

paulfordatsun
28th October 2007, 03:10
Bugger! Australia needs more rally exposure, but with little or no local manufacturer's backing, :rolleyes: and even less willpower behind the idea at CAMS, it looks like a trip to NZ for enthusiests...again.
Count governence participation at any level out of the equasion - more hot air comes out of them than my exhaust!
:rolleyes:

paulfordatsun
28th October 2007, 03:12
Bugger! Australia needs more rally exposure, but with little or no local manufacturer's backing, :rolleyes: and even less willpower behind the idea at CAMS, it looks like a trip to NZ for enthusiests...again.
Count governence participation at any level out of the equasion - more hot air comes out of them than my exhaust!
:rolleyes:
Come to me oh yea children, for I see you at your play, and the thoughts that surround me have vanished quite away.

Christina
29th October 2007, 09:49
I just got back from two weeks in the beautiful south east queensland and i'm now quite excited about rally aus being held there!!

I spent most of a week driving around in the area between Canungra, Beaudesert, Warwick, Rathdowney, Woodenbong and Killarney. i can now say that i am very in tune with the Mt Lindsay highway!!

But oh my goodness! driving those roads gave me a brilliant view of what the rally would look like.. (i was being paid to chase hang gliders around the countryside so i wasnt really sticking to tarmac roads) Part of that area looks almost like you'd expect a dinosaur to stomp out from behind the mountain! especially mount Lindsay! (although if i never see the road over the mountain ever again it will be too soon! have we ever heard of "resurfacing"?) None of the Bauxite balls that you see here on Perth dirt roads, the gravel was quite sharp actually..

Although, i do hope they stay away from places such as Woodenbong. it took me two hours to get there from Canungra and i tell you! that place is the biggest non-event i've ever seen!!

Daniel
29th October 2007, 09:50
Woodenbong? :laugh: I love Australian place names.

Christina
29th October 2007, 09:54
It's almost as bad as "Wonglepong", "Benobble" and "Biddaddaba". Which co-incidentally, are all on the way from Canungra to Woodenbong.

Daniel
29th October 2007, 13:54
Wanneroo is also a good one for non-Perthites and Cockburn too

GigiGalliNo1
30th October 2007, 12:05
lol

Camelopard
30th October 2007, 20:33
Is it true people in the Perth suburb of "Innaloo" want the name changed as they don't like it due to the fact that 'loo' is an Australian colloquialism for toilet?

Livewireshock
31st October 2007, 08:28
While not being a traditional aboriginal name, a regional locality that the WRC route would traverse is called "The Risk"!

Also to make things confusing to foreigners, the highway heading west out of Woodenbong goes to Boonoo Boonoo, but is pronounced Bunna Boonoo!?!

But not as bad as the Kiwis, who came up with the concept that a 'wh' makes an 'f' sound???????

Daniel
31st October 2007, 09:25
motherwh...... :p oops

undifferent
17th September 2008, 16:39
So now it's official, (see rallyaustralia.com (http://rallyaustralia.com)), was wondering if anyone out there has any inside scoop on specific roads being used for the rally?

Perhaps livewireshock?

ST205GT4
19th September 2008, 07:12
Is it true people in the Perth suburb of "Innaloo" want the name changed as they don't like it due to the fact that 'loo' is an Australian colloquialism for toilet?

The story I heard was that they tried to change it and the residents objected! Very strange...

Daniel
19th September 2008, 09:16
I would say that Innaloo is probably the Aboriginal name for the area :) Hence why it probably won't get changed. It's funny when you're about 5 and you live in Perth though :p

ST205GT4
19th September 2008, 10:28
I'm sure you're right Daniel. There are a number of names here in Perth that are strange to someone who moves here though. Like Dog Swamp. Charming...

Daniel
19th September 2008, 10:34
Yeah I was most disappointed when I first went to Dog Swamp :( Wanneroo is a good name though :p

Mitch555
10th March 2009, 10:32
Hopefully people are ready to commit to this event. Just like to point out that the entry fee for local drivers is quite low, $2508 AUD (http://rally.com.au/home/features/articleid=3171). In perspective, this is cheaper than the Tasmanian ARC round last year ($2750) and is only $100 more than the APRC round!

So come on you Aussie rally drivers, get those entry fees in (wink wink Mr. Ray Baker :) )

J4MIE
10th March 2009, 20:59
Just who of the top guys will be entering?

Loeb, Sordo, Hirvonen, Latvala, Henning, Wilson, Petter, Rautenbach, Atkinson....? I'm sure none of the M2 teams will bother going all that way.

TKM Jnr
11th March 2009, 01:43
Hoping to have a run, with Raybak along side me, trying to find sponsorship to run a PWRC car with a well known Aus team, otherwise for a tiny bit less we can get a honda integra.

Anyone interested in sponsoring, PM me for details + resume :D

AlfaWRC
11th March 2009, 06:47
Just who of the top guys will be entering?

Loeb, Sordo, Hirvonen, Latvala, Henning, Wilson, Petter, Rautenbach, Atkinson....? I'm sure none of the M2 teams will bother going all that way.

Villagra will be there and maybe Ogier...

J4MIE
11th March 2009, 09:37
Hoping to have a run, with Raybak along side me, trying to find sponsorship to run a PWRC car with a well known Aus team, otherwise for a tiny bit less we can get a honda integra.

Good luck with that guys, always good to see forumers competing :bounce:

pino
11th March 2009, 09:49
Anyone interested in sponsoring, PM me for details + resume :D

I can do the cooking for free :p :

undifferent
25th March 2009, 10:38
Does anyone have the password to see the documents on the website?
If not, does anyone have any details on the itinerary or route?

J4MIE
25th May 2009, 12:24
The provisional route for the event has been announced:

http://rallyaustralia.com/spectators/route/

redrover
26th May 2009, 03:19
Will be interesting to see what the roads are like now, what with over 300mm of rain in the last week in the region.

grugsticles
26th May 2009, 07:19
After hearing the weather reports on the news the same question came to my mind. The region where the stages are does suffer from periodic flooding from what Ive heard in previous years and doesn't drain that fantastically either.
With any luck the winter will hold back on any torrential rain leaving the stage in good condition.

bluuford
26th May 2009, 08:28
Yes there is still long time till the event comes. Two year ago I traveled in this region and they said that it is normal to have quite strong floods but they are prepared for that and the roads and all infrastructure is usually restored very quickly after the extreme weather. My favorite were those water level measuring poles on the bottom of the valleys. So, when the road went through the valley and water was flowing across the road, then you could see from the pole how deep the water is and can you pass it with your car :-)

mjh
26th May 2009, 10:20
Hopefully it will be okay. A few months yet to tweak the route if required.
Cautiously optimistic after looking at the website...given my flights, accommodation and rally tour are already booked I hope it does run okay!

http://rallyaustralia.com/officials-wait-to-check-flood-impact-on-rally-route/

Officials Wait To Check Flood Impact On Rally Route
Officials of Repco Rally Australia are waiting for flood waters to subside in the New South Wales Northern Rivers so they can confirm the condition of roads earmarked for competition stages in the 3-6 September World Rally Championship event.

Picture: Part of the Murwillumbah Super Special stage under water last week.

Some of the heaviest rains in two decades combined with abnormally high tides in recent days to inundate many areas of the Tweed and Kyogle Shires.

Low-lying areas of the Super Special Stage in the town of Murwillumbah were flooded, but rally Clerk of Course Dr Michelle Gatton said an initial survey of some rural gravel roads to be used as Special Stages was encouraging.

“Our route covers a very wide area from the coast to around 120 kilometres Inland. There are more than 160 kms involved and it’s likely some have been flooded,” Dr Gatton said.

“We’ll need to do a full audit when the conditions improve. Our officials will be getting out there as soon as possible.”

I remember also that there had been flooding in NZ last year in the weeks before Rally NZ. One of the stages had to be split as a landslide had made it impassible. Otherwise I don't think there were any major issues.

ettelbruck
9th July 2009, 23:42
We will be in Australia during the WRC rally. Now when reading their internet Spectator Information they list only few stages, e.g. Friday only stages 4 and 9&10!

:eek: Is there no entry to e.g. stage 3&5? Is there easy access to stages or just these few Spectator Zones?

Any good tips for Rally Australia?

undifferent
10th July 2009, 04:28
There are no roads in to the middle of the other stages on Friday - apart from SS6/11, but that road is gravel for a long distance and in a national park, so its for media only.

I guess you could try to park at the finish of SS3/5 and walk in, but the officials might not like that....

Anyway, because of the huge transports on Friday, you'd only be able to see the three stages. SS9/10 should be really good because right after the last car finishes SS9, SS10 will start.

Datto1600
10th July 2009, 08:27
I’m organizing my trip at the moment, it’s a bloody nightmare working out the tickets and stages. Some are sold out and others you can’t even get too. It’s a joke!! New Zealand is so much better. Who ever is working the stages out is an idiot!!!

Daniel
10th July 2009, 08:41
I’m organizing my trip at the moment, it’s a bloody nightmare working out the tickets and stages. Some are sold out and others you can’t even get too. It’s a joke!! New Zealand is so much better. Who ever is working the stages out is an idiot!!!
Same story for Rally Oz when it was in Perth. Only a few of the stages are for spectators and the others are strictly for media and some even media can't get into. NZ is much better

Camelopard
10th July 2009, 14:22

??????

I've booked my flights but not any tickets yet, what stages are sold out?

It doesn't suprise me if it won't be much fun and not easy for normal rally enthusiasts to get to see any decent action given that 'old greedy guts' is running the show. :( He only wants tightly controlled corporate groups in premium spots like F1.

GigiGalliNo1
10th July 2009, 16:28
Giving it a pass this year... unfortunately....

AlfaWRC
10th July 2009, 20:43
Giving it a pass this year... unfortunately....

Come on GigiGalliNo1, I hoped we will meet this time in Australia.
We have organised everything in the meanwhile...

raybak
12th July 2009, 04:21
Dunno whether I will be there or not. Won't be competing as new job takes precedence over rallying.

Might head up just for the Sat/Sun to have a look. Our club is running a stage each day.

I'm actually saving my money for a big tilt next season at the Fiesta challenge.

Ray

J4MIE
13th July 2009, 21:19
Shame you won't be doing it Ray, hope you can still go for a few days :up:

I'm hopefully still going, will make a pretty much final(ish) decision by this time next week :D But flight prices are going up all the time it seems.