PDA

View Full Version : Brands Hatch Thread

Allyc85
18th August 2007, 11:50
lol Whats going on I cant see a Brands thread! Anyway free practice 1 has just finished with Turkington fastest.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~10~id~153052.htm

cos
18th August 2007, 12:11
Smith's car certainly is striking, shame GR got rid of the "teeth" they have on the front of their WTCC-liveried Leons though.
http://btcc.net/images/gallery/lg_3283_8843.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
18th August 2007, 12:19
I prefer it without the teeth

Allyc85
18th August 2007, 12:29
yea that looks much better.

On a sad note I see Simon Blanckley has had to end his season because of work. Its a shame as he was a character and doing a good job.

cos
18th August 2007, 13:26
SEAT move to the top of the timesheets in FP2
http://www.msttiming.com/gifresult.asp?table=73303fp2trg&round=round08.gif

Iain
18th August 2007, 13:30
Could someone copy and paste times into here for those of us who are viewing via mobile phone? :-)

VkmSpouge
18th August 2007, 13:38
Glad to see Fiona Leggate has made it to Brands Hatch.

Allyc85
18th August 2007, 13:44
1. Darren Turner SEAT Sport UK SEAT Leon 49.481secs M
2. Colin Turkington Team RAC
BMW
320si E90 49.589secs I
3. Jason Plato SEAT Sport UK SEAT Leon 49.782secs M
4. Matt Neal Team Halfords
Honda
Civic 49.811secs
5. Fabrizio Giovanardi VX Racing Vauxhall Vectra 49.854secs M
6. Mike Jordan Team Eurotech with John Guest Honda Integra 49.893secs I B
7. Gordon Shedden Team Halfords Honda Civic 49.903secs
8. Tom Onslow-Cole Team RAC BMW 320si E90 49.903secs I
9. Tom Chilton VX Racing Vauxhall Vectra 50.026secs M
10. Mat Jackson Jackson Motorsport BMW 320si E90 50.032secs I

11. Adam Jones Team Aircool SEAT Toledo 50.043secs I B
12. Matt Allison Motorbase SEAT Toledo 50.469secs I
13. Dave Pinkney Team A-Tech Alfa Romeo 156 50.510secs I
14. Jason Hughes Kartworld Racing MG ZS 50.520secs I B
15. Erkut Kizilirmak Arkas Racing Vauxhall Astra 50.538secs I B
16. Tom Ferrier Motorbase SEAT Toledo 50.573secs I
17. Gavin Smith GR Asia SEAT Leon 50.655secs I B
18. John George TH Motorsport Honda Integra 50.951secs I B
19. Martyn Bell Team AllAboutProperty.com BMW 320i E46 51.575secs I
20. Fiona Leggate Kartworld Racing MG ZS 52.285secs I B

21. Rick Kerry AFM Racing BMW 120d 52.532secs I
22. Eoin Murray Quest Racing Alfa Romeo 156 No time I
23. Chris Stockton BTC Racing Lexus IS200 No time I
24. Richard Marsh Team A-Tech Alfa Romeo 156 No time I

MattL
18th August 2007, 13:46
Turkington's my bet for pole.

Mp3 Astra
18th August 2007, 15:54
The session was stopped because Allison locked up into paddock and ran into george. both cars have significant but fixable damage.

Rusty
18th August 2007, 16:23
Turkington's my bet for pole.

SmartAss MattL....LOL

VkmSpouge
18th August 2007, 16:25
Brands Hatch Qualifying
1. Colin Turkington BMW 320si 49.446s
2. Darren Turner SEAT Leon 0.002
3. Jason Plato SEAT Leon 0.182
4. Tom Chilton Vauxhall Vectra 0.238
5. Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall Vectra 0.260
6. Mat Jackson BMW 320si 0.293
7. Gordon Shedden Honda Civic 0.360
8. Tom Onslow-Cole BMW 320si 0.370
9. Matt Neal Honda Civic 0.404
10. Mike Jordan Honda Integra 0.411
11. Adam Jones SEAT Toledo 0.559
12. Gavin Smith SEAT Leon 0.573
13. Tom Ferrier SEAT Toledo 0.721
14. Matt Allison SEAT Toledo 0.759
15. Jason Hughes MG ZS 0.816
16. Eoin Murray Alfa Romeo 156 0.821
17. Dave Pinkney Alfa Romeo 156 1.131
18. John George Honda Integra 1.328
19. Richard Marsh Alfa Romeo 156 1.410
20. Erkut Kizilirmak Vauxhall Astra 1.430
21. Fiona Leggate MG ZS 1.734
22. Martyn Bell BMW 320i 1.949
23. Rick Kerry BMW 120d 2.588
24. Chris Stockton Lexus IS200 No Time

Colin Turkington edging pole from Darren Turner. All very tight. There was a red flag midway through the session, anyone know what happened to cause and also why Chris Stockton didn't make it out?

Alfa Fan
18th August 2007, 16:28
No engine. He will be racing tomorrow though.

SEATFreak
18th August 2007, 17:09

I am just glad the SEATSport Leons cleary had engines in them because 2nd and 3rd must rank among the best qualifying sessions this season for the team. I would have prefered it if it was Darren Turner was between Jase' and Fab because judging from Snetteeton Darren looks a sound driver to rely on to do stuff.

mattie007
18th August 2007, 18:11

Was there a problem with the car then?

Brown, Jon Brow
18th August 2007, 20:24
Heavy damage from Snetterton crash

PDS
18th August 2007, 20:30

Stockton's problem is the diff!

Couldn't get it fixed during the day and unable to get hold of another one.

Should be fixed intime for the first race though. The team, as they did friday, will be working through the night!

MG2004
18th August 2007, 22:03
The session was stopped because Allison locked up into paddock and ran into george. both cars have significant but fixable damage.

I managed to catch this incident - for once I was in the right place at the right time!
See my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_ward/sets/72157601533367055/detail/

John George managed to create a tsunami of gravel!

Allyc85
18th August 2007, 22:56
Great pics mate! Im usually too busy watching the accident instead of photographing it!

mattie007
18th August 2007, 23:53
Heavy damage from Snetterton crash

How did I forget that!

The car does seem to of done away with the matt black finish it used to carry and now seems more shiny! Or is it just me?!

Ian McC
19th August 2007, 11:03
Red flag on the first lap? :eek:

Mp3 Astra
19th August 2007, 11:12
Massive 12 car pileup. Biggest i've ever seen. up at druids. jackson spun and was wiped out by neal and then everyone behind got involved. massive damage. it's raining harder here too.

garytc78
19th August 2007, 11:13
Is this on tv???

Mp3 Astra
19th August 2007, 11:20
Is this on tv???

I'm at the track. it's live on a digital channel i think

Ian McC
19th August 2007, 11:21
Wonder how many cars will make the restart.

Allyc85
19th August 2007, 12:23
Matt Neal, Mat Jackson, Darren Turner, Tom Ferrier, Jason Hughes, Fiona Leggate, Martyn Bell, Eoin Murray, Richard Marsh, John George and Rick Kerry all involved :(

nik
19th August 2007, 12:57
I doubt many of those cars will be repaired even for race 3. :(

Big damage for Neal, Ferrier and Pinkney - more bad luck for A-Tech.

cos
19th August 2007, 13:10
Neal and Pinkney have been taken to hospital as a precautionary measure apparently. Matt and Dave's cars looked absolutely trashed, Jackson might make it back out, that BMW may have got away with little damage.

AndySpeed
19th August 2007, 13:20
Jackson caused the accident with a spin but looked to have sustained mostly rear-end damage. Was it Allison or Ferrier who rear-ended him on the grass?

Matt Neal looked to have the most damage both front and rear. Unlucky.

For a few seconds I thought Jackson may have got away with his spin...

VkmSpouge
19th August 2007, 13:22
It's a real shame, there were some independents in that crash with pretty tight budgets. I wonder how many we will see for races 2 and 3?

1. Fabrizio Giovanardi
2. Jason Plato
3. Darren Turner
4. Colin Turkington
5. Tom Onslow-Cole
6. Tom Chilton
7. Adam Jones
8. Gavin Smith
9. Matt Allison
10. Erkut Kizilirmak
11. Chris Stockton
12. Richard Marsh
13. Mike Jordan

Well done to Erkut Kizilirmak for scoring his first championship point.

AndySpeed
19th August 2007, 13:38
Well done to Erkut Kizilirmak for scoring his first championship point.

It was only when I read it that I realised it was his first ever championship point. He's been so close on so many occasions that I thought he'd already got one somewhere along the way. Good stuff :up:

Alfa Fan
19th August 2007, 13:56
Chris Stockton running P2 :)

nik
19th August 2007, 13:58
Now Allison has wiped out.

To quote Murray Walker - "Well...what an afternoon this is!"

AndySpeed
19th August 2007, 13:59
Someone needs to tell these guys to stop crashing... everyone got up on the wrong side of the bed?

Appalling driving standards today...

nik
19th August 2007, 14:01
I wouldn't call it driving standards - it's the conditions!

Dave B
19th August 2007, 14:03
It's damp, hardly the worst conditions profession drivers should be used to.

AndySpeed
19th August 2007, 14:19
I wouldn't call it driving standards - it's the conditions!

Well compare it to Donington which, in my opinion was far worse!

VkmSpouge
19th August 2007, 14:26
1. Fabrizio Giovanardi
2. Jason Plato
3. Gordon Shedden
4. Mat Jackson
5. Mike Jordan
6. Adam Jones
7. Gavin Smith
8. Jason Hughes
9. Colin Turkington
10. Erkut Kizilirmak
11. Richard Marsh
12. Chris Stockton

Are we going to have any cars left by the end of the day? It was great to see Chris Stockton running 2nd, Erkut Kizilirmak running 4th and Richard Marsh in 5th place :D .
A shame Gavin Smith passed Stockton before the line on the restart. Also a pity that Adam Jones was bumped off the track by Gordon Shedden.
You wait all season for Kizilirmak to score points and then two come along at once! Also well done to Richard Marsh for getting his best ever finish in the championship.

nik
19th August 2007, 14:30
I suppose every season has a day like this.

Boo, why are they showing boring single seaters when the Clio's are just starting!?

Iain
19th August 2007, 14:34
Absolute chaos, even by touring car standards! ;) Now a bone dry track here.

cos
19th August 2007, 14:57
Jackson's been given a 6-place grid penalty for his part in the race 1 carnage. Maybe a bit harsh as all he did was spin out on the wet track, but on the other hand he did ruin a lot of people's weekend, so..

SEATFreak
19th August 2007, 14:59
I suppose every season has a day like this.

Problem is we in the BTCC have had two now that even I can remember.

Though I was not at Donny, Donny may not have been worser than Brands Hatch but was as bad. The conditions at Brands Hatch I think only seem to be the worser of the two because something happened today that didn't happen at Donny. A driver's spin caused others behind him to collide into him.

nicemms
19th August 2007, 15:34
Although the weather isn't as bad to day as it was at Donnington the changing conditions have made it worse as the drivers are unsure what tyres to use, resulting in unstable cars.

Allyc85
19th August 2007, 15:49
Jacksons penalty was harsh IMO. He obviously never meant to spin and cause that carnage.

VkmSpouge
19th August 2007, 16:17
Don't know what Giovanardi was doing in that last race. Did he forget to brake when he hit Mike Jordan? A real shame for Jordan, he probably could have won the race.

mikecapener
19th August 2007, 16:19
Jacksons penalty was harsh IMO. He obviously never meant to spin and cause that carnage.

When you take into account that all Jacko did was to spin a rwd car on a wet track and then compare that to Plato's second go at taking out Chilts in as many meetings and got no penalty, I wouldn't go as far as to say that there seem to be two tier standards but you have to ask yourself don't you?

nicemms
19th August 2007, 16:28
Don't know what Giovanardi was doing in that last race. Did he forget to brake when he hit Mike Jordan? A real shame for Jordan, he probably could have won the race.

Its disapointing for Jordan and I'm sure he'll be gutted because he was doing so well.

As ITV said he must have missed his braking point and just had too much speed and probably caught Jordan as Jordan turned in. But what a save by Giovanardi!

The championship goes down to the wire again!

KILOHMUNNS
19th August 2007, 17:30
I can't remember a meeting like this for a long time, when was the last time so many cars got taken out in one race?

The penalty was a bit harsh on Jackson and why the hell was Steve Neal fuming about it? (According to ITV) It was a racing accident on cold tyres in the wet!. Great save by Turkington after he made a mistake in race one.

Chilton wasn't too happy with Plato's move in race 2, and Plato always complains when it happen to him (shoe and other foot spings to mind) but a great comeback to get second.

A great scrap in race 3 with just ashame it all ended in tears and I'm not sure what happened with Gio (too busy looking in his mirrors and missed him breaking?) but I really feel for Jordan as I would have expected him to be on the podium.

Does anyone think there will be any reprocussion after this weekend? anybody with points deducted or time penalties and places reduced?

AndySpeed
19th August 2007, 17:35
Brilliant car control from Giovanardi, although I'm not sure if he shouldn't have been penalised for taking Jordan along with him...

Poor decision by the stewards to penalise Jackson for causing the race 1 pile up :down:

Hazell B
19th August 2007, 17:44
I'm disgusted with the Jackson penalty. Poor guy already felt bad about taking so many out through no real fault of his own and they slap him with a six place drop too. Unfair - it sure as hell couldn't bring those other cars back out on the grid could it?

I guess a certain daddy was upset that his son had to go to hospital and shouted about it to the stewards :down: Wonder how many accidents that son's caused over the years .....? :rolleyes:

This is the sort of thing that's put me off spending time and money going to the meetings. You're just not offered a fair sport to watch sometimes these days.

Allyc85
19th August 2007, 18:23
yea there does seem something very wrong with the consistency of penalty given out in the BTCC. id love to hear the exact words from the stewards as to why hes been punished.

Was a shame that Jones got taken out twice he drove brilliantly today until the other Seats got involved with him, wonder what penalty they will get....

VkmSpouge
19th August 2007, 19:23
I'm disgusted with the Jackson penalty. Poor guy already felt bad about taking so many out through no real fault of his own and they slap him with a six place drop too. Unfair - it sure as hell couldn't bring those other cars back out on the grid could it?

I guess a certain daddy was upset that his son had to go to hospital and shouted about it to the stewards :down: Wonder how many accidents that son's caused over the years .....? :rolleyes:

This is the sort of thing that's put me off spending time and money going to the meetings. You're just not offered a fair sport to watch sometimes these days.

I don't think any amount of whining by anyone is capable of effecting the stewards decision. That said I agree the decision to give Jackson a penalty was the wrong one. There was worse driving than that today.

Rusty
19th August 2007, 19:39
He was given the penalty for a reason we have seen for to many years now..... STEVE NEAL moaning saying that Matt Jackson caused the accident, which he did but not intentionally causing his beloved Matt Neal to have a totalled car and bruised ego once again somebody else's day spoiled by his constent Moaning, i wish he would keep to his promises and leave to race WTCC and leave the real teams to it....

Apologies to anybody who takes offence to this i'm just sick of it now...

Steelrat
19th August 2007, 19:47
He was also fined 1000.00 and had his competition licence endorsed.

I'm really not understanding this. Is there anyone that can supply the official explanation for this?

P

Rusty
19th August 2007, 19:52
That is crazy fined and points for spinning in the wet What is going on ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

VkmSpouge
19th August 2007, 19:58
I would love to read the official explanation of why they have penalised Mat Jackson.

nicemms
19th August 2007, 20:01
The way I see the whole Jackson thing is that he made advantage of the rear wheel drive bmw to get past a few people, then he got caught out by the slippery side of the track which caused him to spin. Simple as. No bad intentions at all.

Steve Neal had no right to be angry at Mat Jackson. Surely he knows that motorsport is dangerous and things like this do happen. It wasn't Jackson's fault or anybody elses.

peewhee
19th August 2007, 20:10
The penalty was a bit harsh on Jackson and why the hell was Steve Neal fuming about it? (According to ITV) It was a racing accident on cold tyres in the wet!.
Why was he the only car to spin?
Did you notice, he even went down the grass at the start of the race?!
Trying too hard in the conditions!

Does anyone think there will be any reprocussion after this weekend?

Yes... less cars at Knockhill....

AndySpeed
19th August 2007, 20:34
Why was he the only car to spin?
Did you notice, he even went down the grass at the start of the race?!
Trying too hard in the conditions!

Not the only car - Colin Turkington...

:rolleyes:

It looked as if there was a puddle at the bottom of paddock hill that caught out a few drivers, most notably the rear wheel drive ones. All of the BMW's and Lexus looked twitchier today.

tintin
19th August 2007, 20:52
Jackson didn't have to spin though - if he hadn't tried to pull back in (and he must have felt the back end sliding out before he did it), he would have just run into the gravel, lost a few places and rejoined.

VXRDartford
19th August 2007, 20:57
This whinging from steve neal is getting stupid now after any little thing he is straight into the stewards asking for the offender to be given a penalty. When his team do it to someone else no one can be bothered to stoop that low to do the same back. All because his team aren't winning!!!

Talking of whinging chilton is getting a bit big for his bots suggesting that plato ran out of tallent taking him out. His fault for trying to go round the outside plato just drifted into him.

Talking of running out of tallent leggate in gravel first turn after coming out of pits schoolgirl error obvious tyres would be cold!!!

peewhee
19th August 2007, 21:07

It looked as if there was a puddle at the bottom of paddock hill that caught out a few drivers, most notably the rear wheel drive ones. All of the BMW's and Lexus looked twitchier today.

Yes the puddle is at the bottom of paddock hill, It is always there when it rains, has for years..

Anyway, Jackson spun at the top of the hill...

Talking of running out of tallent leggate in gravel first turn after coming out of pits schoolgirl error obvious tyres would be cold!!!

SO... it's okay for Mat Jackson to do it in race one in even worse conditions?????

Allyc85
19th August 2007, 21:50
but jackson spun because he hit the concrete that was wet, it was Fiona that lost it going into the bend.

Still Fiona made me laugh :D

Mp3 Astra
19th August 2007, 22:01
Steve Neal fuming about it?

Talking of fumes, Mat Jackson drove the entire third race with exhaust leaking into the cockpit. He was a right mess at the end of the race. All in all, a weekend to forget for Jackson. I sure hope that the licence punishment will be appealed against because it's absolutely appalling! On the other hand; maybe the stuards took into account that he had pretty much all his wheels on the grass at the start of the race and that he had a reckless attitude going into the first corner... Maybe... I still disagree with it though.

I have never seen a weekend like this before. It wasn't just the tourers crashing; the support races were at it too! The Clio race was abandoned because people kept spinning on the warmup lap (and the TV schedule:rolleyes :) , and there was synchronised sliding in that race too.

I feel that this weekend will increase BTCC popularity, but for the wrong reasons. I feel really bad because I don't want people to assume that BTCC is all about the "crash bang thank you man" nature, and that up til now the racing has been very good, with the occasional controversy.

On a side note, did anyone hear Tim Harvey's voice when Jones leapt into the air? It was like he was kicked in the crotch at that very moment, his voice went sky high! :D

So, of all the BTCC races I have been to, this is the most memorable; but for some of the wrong reasons...

PDS
19th August 2007, 22:31
The Clio race was abandoned because people kept spinning on the warmup lap (and the TV schedule:rolleyes :) , and there was synchronised sliding in that race too.

Not totally abandoned... The race was re-run at the end of the day.

Mp3 Astra
19th August 2007, 22:47

Ah they actually managed it! I thought that there wouldn't be enough time. Had to leave before then anyway.

PDS
19th August 2007, 23:02
Brilliant car control from Giovanardi, although I'm not sure if he shouldn't have been penalised for taking Jordan along with him...

He was apparently.. http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4887

BTW, when is your btcc site up-and-running?

Pedalpusher
19th August 2007, 23:12

Ah, that explains why the MST site says they completed 18 laps. Thought I was going crazy for a moment! :crazy:

On a side note, did anyone hear Tim Harvey's voice when Jones leapt into the air? It was like he was kicked in the crotch at that very moment, his voice went sky high! :D

I've just seen that bit on the Setanta coverage :laugh:

Also just seen the great scrap between Adam Jones and Tom Onslow-Cole. Such a shame that Adam didn't make it to the finish.

speedy king
19th August 2007, 23:51
I'm bored with all this whinging.

The penalty on Jackson i thought was completely inappropriate, it was an accidnet, he didnt force his car in to another to cause an accident or anything, he spun...thats all. He didn't then swing his car in to the path of another, he kept it relatively stable in the middle of the track, down to the other guys to miss him.

Coincidently, Matt Neal seems awfully good at making a scene medically when it suits him.... The whinging is beyond a joke, worrying as it's getting to look apparent on affecting the Stewards decisions, and they're ment to be Independent.

Poor Neal, his team mate is higher in the championship, with more race wins in Neals OWN team..

Iain
20th August 2007, 00:07

I wouldn't have said he was trying too hard, he was clinging on to the lead in a car handling more like a boat in the rain. Just something that happens to the BMWs when the track goes the wrong side of damp. Even the World Champion Andy Priaulx managed to make a mistake at a very wet Paddock last year.

I haven't seen a touring car as damaged as Matt Neal's was for a long time. It was turned from an orange blob into an orange cube. :s The front looked bad, but when it passed on the recovery truck, the rear and was completely caved in and the floorpan was twisted. Reshell time!

thompp
20th August 2007, 10:12
but jackson spun because he hit the concrete that was wet, it was Fiona that lost it going into the bend.

Still Fiona made me laugh :D

You should have heard what she said on the radio....! "I feel like such a tw4t!"

thompp
20th August 2007, 10:18
After all the excitement and controversy of racing and incidients (especially BTCC, Clio's and Porsches), I thought I'd like some return to normalcy so on the way home I tuned into the Liverpool v Chelsea coverage on Five Live...... :roll:

Caroline
20th August 2007, 11:55
He was apparently.. http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4887

BTW, when is your btcc site up-and-running?

What was his penalty in the end?

Robinho
20th August 2007, 13:40
whilst Mat Jackson was the catalyst for the first lap pile up, i would by no means lay fault at his door, although maybe he was being a little ambitious, he wasn't the only one to come a cropper there, also Turks and Aliison wrecked another Toledo with a similar spin.

as for the Neal's, i haven't seen what was said, but if they were complaining about the incident i think thats a bit rich, it looked like a racing incident, all the guys involved were unlucky, why should someone always be in the wrong when a Halfords car is involved (incidentally, never their own fault)

i also thought that Plato's move on Chilton was too much, Tom had taken the place and Plato had nowhere to go, in my view he should have backed out and accepted the loss of the place, not ploughed on regardless

Iain
20th August 2007, 15:00
If the conditions had been constant during race one, maybe the later incidents may not have happened. But it was light rain at the start, heavy rain during the stoppage, light rain again, then heavy before it just drizzled.

Robinho - there's an audio interview with Steve Neal on btcc.net. Maybe it was all said in the heat of the moment, but he's not mincing his words - as usual. :s

thetrooper_uk
20th August 2007, 16:31

Was it worth it. I think she should have just sat in the crowd and saved on the repair bill. Third race on her own first corner off, it's embarrassing. I used to think she could be good but she's getting worse.

Rusty
20th August 2007, 16:31
Just listened to it, The bloke is an A**hole and i hope he keeps his promise and Pi***s off and leaves the BTCC period...

SEATFreak
20th August 2007, 16:38
Going back to the Jackson-Neal fiasco for just a moment, what are the mechanics of a RWD BMW 320si on surface like Race 1?

Does it have any more or less grip and/or handling than a Honda Civic?

In other words are the chances of a RWD BMW 320si spinning greater than a Honda Civic?

thetrooper_uk
20th August 2007, 16:42
Jackson didn't have to spin though - if he hadn't tried to pull back in (and he must have felt the back end sliding out before he did it), he would have just run into the gravel, lost a few places and rejoined.
How would he have felt it???? He did exactly the same as Colin did and he said that it just went without warning. The only difference was that it happened to Mat at the beginning of the race. It's a race remember.

BeansBeansBeans
20th August 2007, 16:55
his beloved Matt Neal

Well, he is his son.

Mp3 Astra
20th August 2007, 17:00

Here it is, just for you immature people to listen to and enjoy :D
http://mb.t-u-x.com/easypass/V010.WAV
It's about 8.5 seconds of the way through.

Allyc85
20th August 2007, 17:10
lmao at Tim Harvery, very proffesional!

PDS
20th August 2007, 21:24
Amongst all the carnage.. I see that our favourite Turkish Touring car driver picked up two points at the weekend..

Well done Erkut!

thompp
20th August 2007, 23:31
Going back to the Jackson-Neal fiasco for just a moment, what are the mechanics of a RWD BMW 320si on surface like Race 1?

In other words are the chances of a RWD BMW 320si spinning greater than a Honda Civic?

RWD cars like the BMW take longer to heat up the front tyres than FWD cars, and normally try and take it easy on lap one. The move that MJ tried to make might have worked for a FWD car but not a RWD with colder front tyres.

BeansBeansBeans
21st August 2007, 08:58
RWD cars like the BMW take longer to heat up the front tyres than FWD cars, and normally try and take it easy on lap one. The move that MJ tried to make might have worked for a FWD car but not a RWD with colder front tyres.

I doubt it was caused by low tyre temperature. It was more likely caused by Jackson's placing his RWD car (with it's naturally looser rear end) on a wet and extremely slippery surface.

stevenlcroucher
21st August 2007, 11:26
lmao at Tim Harvery, very proffesional!

At least you can tell he enjoys the racing.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st August 2007, 12:43

In the wet the FWD cars have better grip due to the weight of the engine pushing down onto the driven wheels, helping the tyres displace water. The RWD drive cars are more likely to spin because they are in nature less 'forgiving' when they get out of shape.

I don't know how much tyre temperature has to do with wet conditions.

Allyc85
21st August 2007, 16:57
Nothing!! It was the two wheels on the painted surface! Which also spun Alison off later!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unUHPSw2qlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6vJGOU7sY

Mp3 Astra
22nd August 2007, 00:39
http://www.mb.t-u-x.com/gallery/albums/BTCC/Brands/BTCCR08BRANDS18-190807_15.jpg
http://www.mb.t-u-x.com/gallery/albums/BTCC/Brands/BTCCR08BRANDS18-190807_32.jpg

Shows how the cars disintegrate to disperce the energy. I wonder if the teams could pick up the pieces and use them again. I'm sure Motorbase could use some of the pieces, they'll need them. :(

VkmSpouge
22nd August 2007, 00:52
Looking at that picture its amazing that Team AFM Racing got Rick's car on track for the third race and it made it to the finish.