PDA

View Full Version : OT/ Speedcar Series in the UK?

leftturnracer
17th August 2007, 10:33
Does anybody know if the are plans to bring the series to Rockingham or any other UK circuit?

http://www.speedcarseries.com/

SteveA
17th August 2007, 12:13
Its interesting that Johnny Herbert is involved in this, but never showed any interest in ASCAR despite the fact that he was at Rockingham for most meetings between 2001 and 2004!

Redmond500
17th August 2007, 12:24
I was just thinking the same thing about Johnny.. But I doubt we'll see it in the UK - as its in partnership with the JP2 Asia.

If it did come I'd take a look! Road or Oval.

leftturnracer
17th August 2007, 12:29
True.

According the the web page they will race in the Middle East, Asia and Australia ... I recon there are two possible oval circuits they could use, Motegi and Calder Park. Seems strange to go to so much effort to bring Stock cars to this region and race them on road courses?
Might be something the people at Rockingham could think about...

car20
17th August 2007, 13:08
johnny were would ya like to race ?
mmm RACE IN ASIA BRIGHT SUNSHINE or wet and windy u.k.....

Even if he did think about scsa he would want paying LOADS...

Mihai
17th August 2007, 14:46
Williams' reserve driver Narain Karthikeyan tested the Speedcar chassis in Dubai, being fastest on the day among lower rated drivers :

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61551

NK claimed that he has a race seat at Williams in '08. I'd rather see him racing in A1GP & Speedcar series.

LessThanSte
17th August 2007, 16:11
If williams employ NK they have totally gone mad. He's useless, and despite being tipped as the fastest driver A1 GP ever had, didnt exactly do well on his one appearence there!

Calder Park would be ace if they went there, but i understand that the whole place is run by someone more brainless than even those that ran rockingham, and the whole complex (theres a road course, drag strip, everything) is aging quite quickly, almost to the point of disrepair.

The oval though is ace :)

Be brilliant if they could come to Rockingham, its unlikely but these cars will be quicker than the current V8 cars i assume and should therefore be awesome. I doubt it'd happen this coming season but maybe in the future.

But they are, at present, looking at road courses it seems. All the things ive heard have said they are an absolute blast to drive on road courses, so who knows what will happen regarding ovals!

JDPower
18th August 2007, 06:28
Does anybody know if the are plans to bring the series to Rockingham or any other UK circuit?
Its a Asian/Middle East series so I think we can safely say no (unless someone's moved the UK while I was asleep)

Plus they're racing through the winter and we've had enough trouble getting the stock cars racing this year during the summer, it'd be a total waste of time during the British winter!

Abo
18th August 2007, 07:29
Probably turn to nothing, like that other stock car series I cen't remember the name of...

acorn
18th August 2007, 17:12
if it's asce your referring to then it's not QUITE dead yet according to the last entry on the blog of it's website(but i'm still not holding my breath).

JDPower
18th August 2007, 22:40
if it's asce your referring to then it's not QUITE dead yet according to the last entry on the blog of it's website
Its not been updated for seven months!

acorn
19th August 2007, 12:05
the main site may not have been "updated" but that blog entry(i notice your name their too) was made on the 9th july this year and referred to a test the guy had at nurburgring on the weekend of 7-8th july THIS YEAR.

as i said, i'm not holding my breath but the organisers would still appear to be taking the project forward.

chrisn
21st August 2007, 18:57
I can confirm, from my discussions with the organisers, that there is no plan to run the Speedcar series in Europe or indeed on Ovals. It is planned as a 'winter series' running in the Middle east and Asia in tandem with the new GP2 Asia series.

Also the cars are being set up to race on road courses rather than Ovals.

Nick Brad
21st August 2007, 19:04
I had a complete look at the site and it looked impressive, but if they have no intention of running on ovals then my interest goes straight out the window.

acorn
12th October 2007, 18:49
with just 3 weeks to go before the inaugural race, there have been 9 driver announcements(some of which i expect are being paid for by the series organisers).

will they get a full 24 car grid or will this one run whatever the number of drivers and then fade into oblivion?