PDA

View Full Version : Michael Andretti wants to race in Indy 500 again

carrera66
22nd December 2006, 13:19
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061208/SPORTS01/612080432/1052

This is a couple of weeks old....

Mark in Oshawa
22nd December 2006, 15:52
Mikey...at some point you have to decide how long you want this to go on. I think you could win, but somehow I doubt it. It is your team, your choice and I know you are competitive, but sometimes, things are just not meant to be....

nigelred5
22nd December 2006, 21:54
AJ was 50 what when he finally called it quits at Indy? Mikey's got game left and plenty of Honda money to keep him in a competetive car, unlike AJ did in his twilight years of racing.

Jonesi
23rd December 2006, 02:15
AJ was over the hill and should have retired by the mid 80s. While I'm not fan, I think Michael Andretti is still competitive, and should not have any problem running Indy for at least a couple more years.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2006, 06:53
AJ was his own team owner, so he would drive until he couldn't fit in the car no more. Mikey would have more credability with me if he ran full time, but he wont do that. I guess I just hate seeing guys past their prime beating their heads against the wall, but I suppose if one "oldtimer" deserves to keep trying, it is Mikey. For one, he isn't 50 yet, and for two, no one has led more laps without being in front on lap 200. I just know last year watching Marco almost win by a whisker would have been something if he had held on. Mike cant win one, and Marco damned near pulled it off on the first go round. The kid does have the royal jelly...

TheCheat
23rd December 2006, 22:37
AJ was 50 what when he finally called it quits at Indy? Mikey's got game left and plenty of Honda money to keep him in a competetive car, unlike AJ did in his twilight years of racing.

What Honda money?

Jonesi
23rd December 2006, 23:54
What Honda money?

What I think he's refering to was, that it's generally thought that the teams that jumped to IRL with Honda in '03 received about 2-3 million per car and AGR was clearly the factory team with preferable treatment in engines. With Toyota's withdrawal last year, it appears that teams received equal teatment as far as Honda engine supply, but it's probable that AGR still receives some $ support from Honda.

drewdawg727
24th December 2006, 21:39
I think Michael has every right to participate in the Indy 500. It is a good way to show that he is still competitive and even if he doesn't win it, it is still nice to see a legend out on the most famous race of the year.

Gluaistean
24th December 2006, 22:16
What I think he's refering to was, that it's generally thought that the teams that jumped to IRL with Honda in '03 received about 2-3 million per car and AGR was clearly the factory team with preferable treatment in engines. With Toyota's withdrawal last year, it appears that teams received equal teatment as far as Honda engine supply, but it's probable that AGR still receives some $ support from Honda.
I'm no insider but when I see this team with four cars comprising 20% of the field it makes me sick and solidifies the assumption that Honda money is pouring into this team. There is no way in the wide world that this team is getting the sizeable sponsorship monies that is required to run a team this size and then satisfy the ego's that go along with it.
Andretti should stay where he is. I'm no big fan of his and am fed up with the moaning and groaning about what he did and did not do. He did not win when he was in his prime as many drivers can sadly say. Get over it..move on.

DRC
25th December 2006, 14:50
While I'm not fan, I think Michael Andretti is still competitive, and should not have any problem running Indy for at least a couple more years.

+1. I think this is a big part of what the I500 is all about.

xander918
25th December 2006, 21:44
He couldnt win it when there was a full field of talented drivers, so now he figures with approx 10 talented drivers and 23 "fillers" the odds of him winning are better. Not to mention that if he drives, half of the cars that could contend, he owns. So for Mikey to get his win, all he really needs to do is beat 5 cars and issue some team orders. Thats something to be proud of.

ZzZzZz
26th December 2006, 03:18
He's still quite capable of winning.
He still wants it.
Surely, this helps attract sponsor interest.

libra65
27th December 2006, 20:00
I say go for it as long as you are still competitive. When he goes out and proves he has lost the touch, pack it in. Don't stay out there like a rolling chicane like Cheever did.

millencolin
28th December 2006, 06:34
yawn.... doesnt matter if there were only 2 cars in the race, Michael still wont win :p :

drewdawg727
28th December 2006, 23:06
He couldnt win it when there was a full field of talented drivers, so now he figures with approx 10 talented drivers and 23 "fillers" the odds of him winning are better. Not to mention that if he drives, half of the cars that could contend, he owns. So for Mikey to get his win, all he really needs to do is beat 5 cars and issue some team orders. Thats something to be proud of.

23 fillers? Gee, that sounds like an insult to the Indy 500 if you ask me..

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2006, 18:10
Drewdawg, it is the truth. Most Indy 500 fields have about 15 to 25 guys who likely have no hope of winning a race period, much less the Indy 500. With the diluted IRL being only 18 to 20 full time cars, in which only 10 guys can win, I would have to say any one else showing up for a one off have no shot. IN short, the Indy 500 may have 33 starters, but the serious money never leaves about 8 names. Maybe 20 years ago 15 cars were serious threats, but right now, 8 is a stretch. As the month of May goes on, you realize quickly who is going to be competitive, and who isn't, and there is not many surprises....

Alexamateo
30th December 2006, 00:00
Drewdawg, it is the truth. Most Indy 500 fields have about 15 to 25 guys who likely have no hope of winning a race period, much less the Indy 500. With the diluted IRL being only 18 to 20 full time cars, in which only 10 guys can win, I would have to say any one else showing up for a one off have no shot. IN short, the Indy 500 may have 33 starters, but the serious money never leaves about 8 names. Maybe 20 years ago 15 cars were serious threats, but right now, 8 is a stretch. As the month of May goes on, you realize quickly who is going to be competitive, and who isn't, and there is not many surprises....

Mark, let's think for a second before we make blanket statements like that. First off, in all life there are pecking orders, so it is as you say "As the month of May goes on, you realize quickly who is going to be competetive... ...there is (sic) not many surprises..." That's true whether it was 1995 and Team Penske doesn't qualify, or it's 2005. There will always be a top third, a middle pack, and the backmarkers.

THinking about 2007, who is a threat to win?
Sam Hornish
Helio Castro-neves
Dan Wheldon
Tony Kanaan
Scott Dixon
Dario Franchetti
Marco Andretti
Vitor Miera
Scott Sharp

That's 9, would you be surprised if any of those won?

You could also add Tomas Schecter and Danica, to the list for 11, and don't forget Michael to make 12 threats to win, 13 if Buddy Rice gets the third Vision car. Truthfully, the winner will probably come out of the first 9 listed, but's that's probably the way it is any year. There are seldom many surprise winners, I can think of maybe 2, AL Unser in 1987, and Graham Hill in 1966.

harvick#1
31st December 2006, 01:49
yes but you can have your favorites but on the final lap last year, no one on the planet would've though Marco would be leading the 500, before he didn't run flat out like Sam did and got beat. in all cards Wheldon should've won the race as he had the most dominent car in the race pulling out by 10 seconds at one point

Mark in Oshawa
31st December 2006, 05:21
Alex, I said 8, and you put 9 down and included Sharp and Marco, who I wouldn't have put in that BEFORE the race. As for Danica, she might get in the top 10, but I never will see her as a race winner at Indy. She led only because of a fuel gamble situation that was a long shot, and she spun and wrecked a few guys on the way to that finish. No, I stand by what I said. 8 to 10 drivers tops. You proved my point I think. 20 cars that enter every year are severe long shots, even if the drivers don't think so. The longest shot ever that damned near won was when Scott Goodyear finished second to Al Jr. He was 33rd in qualifying (back when we had 50 cars show up and lots of bumping) and survived an attrition fest due to the freakishly cold temps to hang on and make Al Jr's life miserable. That is a very rare thing that a guy that far back is there at the end sniffing for the lead...