PDA

View Full Version : Group B Deja Vu

superg
16th August 2007, 14:12
Subaru's current situation is such a parallel of Audi's in 84-85.
- Manufacturer committed to AWD production cars showcases its benefits in rallying with a production-based car.
- Manufacturer excels despite inherent competition disadvantages from its basic layout (front overhanging engine).
- Group B/WRC regs allow other manufacturers to develop purpose-built AWD versions of their subcompact cars despite having no performance AWD versions of these cars in their sales lineup.
- Manufacturer becomes also-ran. Fans get frustrated.

Just as when I owned a Quattro in the mid-eighties, whenever I get begin to get discouraged with 4th and 5th place finishes, I remind myself that my daily driver is, after some affordable modifications, closer to a WRC car than anything else on the market.

I never see an AWD Focus, C4, or 307 on the Colorado mountain twisties.

Superg

Brother John
16th August 2007, 16:29
More Group B Dejavu!!!!! :\

WRC cars or so fast now that somday we will see the real DEJAVU :bones: an itīs over with WRCCARS before 2012! It can happen this weekend already! :bomb:

Woodeye
16th August 2007, 16:40
WRC cars are also much more safer than Group B cars used to be. Rallying includes risks, I think all drivers acknowledge that fact.

superg
16th August 2007, 18:13
Have they improved WRC side impact protection since the very sad Lovell/Freeman and Michael Park fatalities?

The irony is that WRC cars may be safer in an impact than Group N, and its possible to hit a tree at 130 kph in either car.

Superg