PDA

View Full Version : No more Stobart?

PuddleJumper
16th August 2007, 13:29
Eddie Stobart Ltd merged yesterday with the Westbury Property Fund and have announced that they will be reviewing their WRC sponsorhsip commitments which expire at the end of this year.

http://www.crashpa.net/news.asp?news_id=152955
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6947397.stm

Zes
16th August 2007, 13:57
Wasn't it so that Henning has backed up by Expert for several years. Latvala has also a lot of money behind him and Matt has his father. I don't belive anything will change except the team name, if Stobart goes out. And isn't it quite normal that contracts are reviewed if they expire?

WRCfan
16th August 2007, 13:58
Uh oh......Im sure Abu Dahbi will be more than willing to throw some more cash and fund the "stobart team". Seems they are pretty comitted to the deal.
Well after reading about how wealthy the place is and what each person is worth on average per head of population......pretty amazing figures come out of it all.

Three cheers for the arab emirates taking an interest in WRC. Hip hip Horay!!!

Buzz Lightyear
16th August 2007, 14:00
Eddie Stobart Ltd merged yesterday with the Westbury Property Fund and have announced that they will be reviewing their WRC sponsorhsip commitments which expire at the end of this year.

http://www.crashpa.net/news.asp?news_id=152955
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6947397.stm

The sponsorship was most likely a business arrangment. Their 'star' driver has failed to shine, and its a cover for Latvalas finanical backers, so maybe its lost its appeal.

At least alot more people know about Stobart now, but has propably served it purpose, becuase rally is, like it or now, a very niche market.

gerrycrossey
16th August 2007, 14:08
The money that they were throwing at sponsorship was crazy though, They had 3 wr cars in finland, they sponsor a s1600 team that barry clark drives in, they sponsor two teams in the BRC, a production and s1600 team, they sponsor historics in the historic wrc, as well as select historics in the BRC and HITC, and juniors in the BRC, and then they sponsor Paul birds motorbike team!, I think im right with this? do they sponsor anything else? At the end of the day they can only justify so much expense, businesses can only expand so fast

Buzz Lightyear
16th August 2007, 14:54
The money that they were throwing at sponsorship was crazy though, They had 3 wr cars in finland, they sponsor a s1600 team that barry clark drives in, they sponsor two teams in the BRC, a production and s1600 team, they sponsor historics in the historic wrc, as well as select historics in the BRC and HITC, and juniors in the BRC, and then they sponsor Paul birds motorbike team!, I think im right with this? do they sponsor anything else? At the end of the day they can only justify so much expense, businesses can only expand so fast

i expect you would be surpised how 'little' they are actually putting in...

Halvis
16th August 2007, 15:26

Exactly, as I just wrote in the 2008 driver lineup-thread, Henning Solberg pays to drive - and most certainly will do so at least next year, and probably even longer. Expert, which is his main sponsor, recently said that they are very, very happy with their investment in Henning, and are very tempted to extend the sponsorship for more years than 2008 which already are certain.

bt52b
16th August 2007, 15:42
While its a big change, aren't most of the same people in charge?
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2866816.ece

L5->R5/CR
16th August 2007, 16:26
While its a big change, aren't most of the same people in charge?
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2866816.ece

Same bosses, different sources of accountability...

gerrycrossey
16th August 2007, 19:26
My point is that even as you say they put little in, they are putting a little into a lot of different drivers and catagories of the sport, and other motorsports, like take Mark Higgins for example they sponsor him in the PWRC and in the BRC, I could be talking through my hat but a severely doubt that he is paying for his drive. he may contribute but i doubt if he bought the seat. My point being its all got to add up, no matter how little they put into each team

ste898
16th August 2007, 22:25
Hopefully Stobarts will continue in WRC as it would be a big blow if they ennded the rally sponsorship

DonJippo
16th August 2007, 22:50
Then there will be someone else if they step out.

M5
16th August 2007, 23:24
Stobart pulls out - Expert take over the team, and the following drivers will drive

Petter Solberg - Tired of all the fuss with the boxerteam, quits and drives for free :bomb:
Henning Solberg continues on pay and drive
Mats Østberg, pay and drive
Andreas Mikkelsen, Pay and drive

They are still the B-team under the M-Sport umbrella. The personell in the team continues as before, and they get WRC 07 Focuses for 08. They keep the 06 Focus as rental cars for privat teams.

With Norwegian glasses, this looks very good ! :D

Christina
17th August 2007, 02:56
Stobart pulls out - Expert take over the team, and the following drivers will drive

Petter Solberg - Tired of all the fuss with the boxerteam, quits and drives for free :bomb:
Henning Solberg continues on pay and drive
Mats Østberg, pay and drive
Andreas Mikkelsen, Pay and drive

They are still the B-team under the M-Sport umbrella. The personell in the team continues as before, and they get WRC 07 Focuses for 08. They keep the 06 Focus as rental cars for privat teams.

With Norwegian glasses, this looks very good ! :D

The best thing i like about your plan? no more Mattie Wilson!!! yay!!

But where will JM go?

Dingardo
17th August 2007, 04:55
up to the first ford team?

mmmnn.. i like that idea..

or if gronholm retires, put Petter in the bp ford team, then JM can still stay in the 2nd team..

I think we should all pester Malcolm about that idea :P :P

ste898
18th August 2007, 09:34
The best thing i like about your plan? no more Mattie Wilson!!! yay!!

But where will JM go?

How can you say no more Matty Wilson........so you want to see less drivers in WRC?

I think you need to switch on your brain.

Could you drive better than MATT I dont think so!!!!!!!

So I really do think you should keep stupid ideas like that in your own little head

Buzz Lightyear
18th August 2007, 10:25
How can you say no more Matty Wilson........

no more Matty Wilson........easy :)

Christina
18th August 2007, 11:16
How can you say no more Matty Wilson........so you want to see less drivers in WRC?

So I really do think you should keep stupid ideas like that in your own little head

No, i want to see better drivers in the WRC who are worthy of a full time drive. I want to see people like Gigi Galli, Francois Duval, Toni Gardemeister, Juho Hanninen and any number of other top-class drivers without a full time drive in that car. I want to see people in that car who can do what Henning and Jari-matti are doing with that car. It's a waste of a top car.

I never said anything about being able to drive better than Matt. (what? you're angry at me for calling him Mattie as well?) But i do know of an awful lot more drivers who could. Look at Francois Duval this weekend for example! Does his performance not make you think that he deserves a full time WRC drive more than Matthew Wilson?

As for you final comment, that is uncalled for and rude. I have a right to air my opinions as much as you do. You do not have the right to speak to me like that. I think you need to switch your brain.

Zico
18th August 2007, 11:31
Well said Christina..

He simply isnt quick enough, his seat would be better filled with drivers who have a chance of a WRC future. Matt doesnt unfortunately.. nothing personal. ;)

Daniel
18th August 2007, 12:13
No, i want to see better drivers in the WRC who are worthy of a full time drive. I want to see people like Gigi Galli, Francois Duval, Toni Gardemeister, Juho Hanninen and any number of other top-class drivers without a full time drive in that car. I want to see people in that car who can do what Henning and Jari-matti are doing with that car. It's a waste of a top car.

I never said anything about being able to drive better than Matt. (what? you're angry at me for calling him Mattie as well?) But i do know of an awful lot more drivers who could. Look at Francois Duval this weekend for example! Does his performance not make you think that he deserves a full time WRC drive more than Matthew Wilson?

As for you final comment, that is uncalled for and rude. I have a right to air my opinions as much as you do. You do not have the right to speak to me like that. I think you need to switch your brain.

Gigi Galli - Had a car, couldn't hold it together.
Francois Duval - Had a car did well on tarmac and was bad on gravel
Toni Gardemeister - Has never seemed to be able to perform at a top level
Juho Hanninen - Not really at the level required for a factory drive.

Mad Frankie deserves a factory drive but only on tarmac and with their only being two drivers per team it just doesn't work.

If not for Matthew Wilson that team wouldn't exist. Simple as that. So he isn't so much a waste of a car as a reason for the drive being there. I personally don't think Latvala has star quality either but that's just my opinion. At least he's better than Matt though :)

Christina
18th August 2007, 12:29

Mad Frankie deserves a factory drive but only on tarmac and with their only being two drivers per team it just doesn't work.

If not for Matthew Wilson that team wouldn't exist. Simple as that. So he isn't so much a waste of a car as a reason for the drive being there. I personally don't think Latvala has star quality either but that's just my opinion. At least he's better than Matt though :)

Does it not count that Frankie's only WRC win was on Gravel? Yes, there were a lot of retirements on that rally from top guys, but he was able to hold it together on a surface that i can barely stand on! Was Gigi's loss of drive more to do with Mitsubishi and sponsors rather than his ability to drive? I'm not sure we've seen enough of Juho to be able to judge him. But to be honest, i was just pulling names out of the air. You name any number of drivers who you think could do a better job than Mattie.

I dont doubt that the Stobart team would not exist without Matt. He's good for that, but still.. it is an awful sight to see such a good car being trolled around out of the points. Like the Munchis team. All these guys who can find all this money and the guys with the talent just dont have the backing. it's a sad state of affairs.

As for Jari-matti.. hmm.. as a devoted fan i shall not say much. Suffice to say i think he does have star quality, he has the speed, he just needs the consistency. he needs to concentrate. He always says when he has a "moment" that he lost his concentration. I think with practice he will be great. i look forward to seeing him in a WRC car in GB.. i have only seen him in the Corolla and the PWRC car live.

Wim_Impreza
18th August 2007, 12:30

Duval was not so bad on gravel, but he had to much accidents. Gardemeister had never the best car like Loeb in the Xsara, Grönholm in the 206 WRC and probably now the Focus 07. Toni has a lot of experience and if I was the Suzuki boss, I give him the chance for the debut of the SX4 WRC.

Brother John
18th August 2007, 12:35
There are not many here that want understand about which it goes here, there is sport and there is money, two total several things!
Nobody takes a seat which had to be for someone else.
If you pay for it, it´s your´s!
If you deserved the seat or it is offered to you, then it is your´s! :s mokin:

Tomi
18th August 2007, 13:37

Garde will drive as full worksdriver next year, Hänninen has all it takes, but it will still take some time, i belive he will have a good carreer ahead.
J-M will continiue with Ford next year same way like now.

MJW
18th August 2007, 13:42
In UK there are rumours that Subaru have talked to JML about driving for SWRT in 2008. Denied by M-Sport of course......

Tomi
18th August 2007, 13:46
In UK there are rumours that Subaru have talked to JML about driving for SWRT in 2008. Denied by M-Sport of course......

Yes here too, but Jouhki is a smart guy, i dont think he would do the same misstake twice.

jonkka
18th August 2007, 13:50
t is an awful sight to see such a good car being trolled around out of the points.

Not the best of arguments since there are points only for top-8. So, the guy in ninth overall is already out of points but that doesn't automatically make him bad.

pino
18th August 2007, 14:07

Try to moderate your language and reply without insulting your fellow members, because next time I found such a post from you, you will be banned !

DonJippo
18th August 2007, 14:09
In UK there are rumours that Subaru have talked to JML about driving for SWRT in 2008.

Subaru is in talks with many others as well...trying to find someone fool enough to waste their money on a crap car...

Christina
18th August 2007, 14:32
Not the best of arguments since there are points only for top-8. So, the guy in ninth overall is already out of points but that doesn't automatically make him bad.

No, i know. i have had too much wine to argue effectively now! But i meant consistently not achieving. Consistently, just finishing.

Tomi
18th August 2007, 14:45
No, i know. i have had too much wine.

Good excuse :up: :up:

GigiGalliNo1
18th August 2007, 15:42
Good excuse :up: :up:

Thats Christina! :p

m.lowe
18th August 2007, 16:47
Stobart have done good in sponsoring cars in diferent championships and if they wish to pullout then like said there will be someone else to take over if Ford car get a sponsor like that.

Andrew Tinkler and Willie Stobart are now looking at another direction with their business and with other business committments and ventures the show cannot go on forever.

If it wasnt for Stobarts either Malcolm would of had to dip in his own pocket or find a sponsor as good as Stobarts but if Matt dosnt get a drive for next year its no big deal to us personally is it?

If he does then bonus but he hasn't performed like others have and he has been in a Focus WRC long enough right from the days he was built one using spares from the M-Sport parts bin

MW snr has said he wants matthew to learn this year and go for it next but i think if hes to prove himself hes been on the lead too long and needs to be allowed to be unleashed

J4MIE
18th August 2007, 17:44
Wouldn't be surprised if Stobart double their profits if they don't have to spend all this money on motorsport.... :\

Tomi
18th August 2007, 17:49
Wouldn't be surprised if Stobart double their profits if they don't have to spend all this money on motorsport.... :\

Who are they actually sponsoring in the WRC, Wilson?

DonJippo
18th August 2007, 17:54

And is the sponsoring giving hard cash or trucks for transportations?

Brother John
18th August 2007, 18:21
So this is the manager thread. ;) :s mokin:

Daniel
18th August 2007, 20:27
Garde will drive as full worksdriver next year, Hänninen has all it takes, but it will still take some time, i belive he will have a good carreer ahead.

I think Garde has what it takes. But always the wrong time in the wrong car and so on :mark:

As I said Hanninen isn't at that level yet. Perhaps in the future though :)

J-M.

Addicted
18th August 2007, 21:35

Also Mark Higgins in PWRC and Barry Clark`s Fiesta in Fiesta trophy. Those I have seen this year.

cut the b.s.
20th August 2007, 11:27

ste, Matt has proved time and again that he is out of his depth, he will never be good enough for WRC

Why so abusive to Christina? Is she not allowed an opinion?

If you can devise a driving test which is fair I will be very happy to try myself against Matt, it could be very interesting

Daniel
20th August 2007, 13:40
ste, Matt has proved time and again that he is out of his depth, he will never be good enough for WRC

If you can devise a driving test which is fair I will be very happy to try myself against Matt, it could be very interesting
and people thought I was being abusive towards others :p

ste898
20th August 2007, 20:33

I have appologised to cristina by private message for my behaviour and also now to the rest of the forum members.

Roy
23rd August 2007, 15:47
I don't think Stobart will stop their rally plans. Eddie Stobart has a fanclub (A business with a fanclub!!) Their Motorsport activities fit well in this formula. Spectators can join the fanclub.

Offcourse after a change of manegment their is a reviewing. I can't see why Stobart stop WRC. It is a lot of exposure to fans and for commercial/marketing reasons very smart.

Doon
23rd August 2007, 20:20
In MN today, Stobart stated that they would continue to support motorsport. Didn't say who they would not continue to support though. Who's knows some of the cars may just be carrying the logo without any major financial backing anyway?!