PDA

View Full Version : Group B regulations

shurik
16th August 2007, 08:50
Hi does anyone have Group B car regulations, maybe scan or a link.. Thanks.

Harde
16th August 2007, 10:45
This should be it:

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/991499716__Hist_App_J_86_Art_256_a.pdf

shurik
16th August 2007, 10:58
Thanks. Seen this one, not quite what I'm looking for.. I need something like wheel base and track limits, maximum engine capacity.. all the tech stuff

jonkka
16th August 2007, 11:48
Thanks. Seen this one, not quite what I'm looking for.. I need something like wheel base and track limits, maximum engine capacity.. all the tech stuff

Given that GrB was by nature quite an open class, I don't think there were much maximums. Engine size was limited, as is now, by setting a certain minimum weights per cubic sizes. Which is where the 1230 kg minimum comes for two liter turbocharged engines, if anyone ever wondered.

Daniel
16th August 2007, 13:01
As far as I remember there were no rules like this. I think there were rules between engine size and wheel size but I think that was about it. If you were willing to make a car with 10L engine and sell it in high enough numbers they would let you rally it.

jonkka
16th August 2007, 13:08
If you were willing to make a car with 10L engine and sell it in high enough numbers they would let you rally it.

Classification production run was only 200 units, not a very demanding sales effort. And evolution required just 40, if I remember correctly!

Daniel
16th August 2007, 13:09
Classification production run was only 200 units, not a very demanding sales effort. And evolution required just 40, if I remember correctly!
Or you could just get the homologation officer drunk ;)

jonkka
16th August 2007, 13:11
Or you could just get the homologation officer drunk ;)

Oooh, that explains the success of italian and french makes, those countries have lots of excess wine to distribute... :eek:

Gotta get me a new job, where do I apply to FIA?

shurik
16th August 2007, 13:30
I see.. so nothing could limit sick imagination of rally engineers but budget :D
Thanks for replies

FAL
16th August 2007, 16:13
When the new Appendix J first came in, Group B (which was not originally intended to be a rally category, only race) regulations were exactly the same as Group A, except for 200 quantity not 5000 and dry sump allowed.
The lower capacity classes of GpB (up to 1300cc and up to 2000cc) continued after the end of 1986 for a couple of years and were not cancelled at the time over 2000cc was.