PDA

View Full Version : Are LMP or DP Cars road legal?

FIA
15th August 2007, 22:57
Are Le Mans Prototypes and Daytona Prototypes road legal? Saying if you did all the paperwork.

-Helix-
16th August 2007, 00:04
Do they even have turn signals?

Sleeper
16th August 2007, 01:11
I doubt it without any major conversion work.

wedge
17th August 2007, 14:41
The closest to road legal endurance sportscars are the GT1 cars from the late 1990s. A good example being the Toyota GT 1 which was basically a Group C racer which entered in GT class because of the crazy homolagation rules at the time.

Danske
18th August 2007, 06:43
There was also the Dauer Porsche 962 which was homologated as GT. :)

harvick#1
18th August 2007, 16:56
only GT1 and GT2 cars are road legal.

Prototypes are not, jus look at them, have you no idea how much an Audi R10 would cost.

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2007, 20:36
Harvick, it isn't the cost, it is what kind of safety measures are taken. Road cars have bumpers at set heights and crash standards. Plus working signal lamps. A DP might come closer than an LMP, but basically, neither car would come close. OH ya, tire width's of your R10 would doom it....

racefanfromnj
19th August 2007, 21:02
Didnt the GT1 cars like the Porsche and Toyoyta have a road going version I seem to remeber seeing a street legal Porsche in mag somewheres

Jag_Warrior
19th August 2007, 21:38
In Jersey, everything's legal... as long as you don't get caught.

Jag_Warrior
19th August 2007, 21:56
Didnt the GT1 cars like the Porsche and Toyoyta have a road going version I seem to remeber seeing a street legal Porsche in mag somewheres

Yeah, several of the cars of that era had road going versions, as that was tied to homologation in certain cases. The 911 GT1 was/is a beautiful car. So was the Mercedes CLK-GTR, IMO.

But when people say "road legal"... road legal where? The Jaguar XJ-220 was not road legal in the U.S., but it was elsewhere. I don't believe the Nissan Skyline or the McLaren F1 were legal in the U.S. either. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but it seems like Bill Gates got his super car (a McLaren F1, I think) snatched when he tried to bring it into the U.S. through Canada. People used to try to sneak certain super cars into the U.S. under "grey market" means. As far as I know, that business has pretty much dried up now.

Still, there are amazing cars which are legal in the U.S. The Ferrari Enzo is just something to behold. I was making my way around a curve going into VIR a few years ago, and this low, wide, angular, yet curvy red beast was coming toward me. The only thing I can think to compare that to would be if you're walking down the street and a famous actress jogs by you... butt naked. You try to get a good look, but she's moving too fast. And you know there's no point in trying to catch up to get a better look.

Subaru WRX
20th August 2007, 17:26
for sure LMPs and Dps aren't street legal, so don't imagine an Audi R10 in the streets of London or New York :D

as for the pold GT1/GTP of the 90s, they are true prototype, but they look similar to road going cars, the CLK-GTR such an exemple

the only cars will see from Sports Car Racing on the streetsn are the GT1/GTS cars....Corvette, Aston DB9, Saleen S7...

Bob Riebe
20th August 2007, 19:39
What should be asked is can they be made street legal.

Unlike the true prototypes of years past, which had to at least pretend to be lilnked to roadable sports carsl the current cars are actually sports racers-i.e. similar class as the original Can-Am cars ran.
It was a bit of trickery on the part of the sanction to try to gain a link to past cars that the official designation was changed from SR, for sports racing, to-prototype.

I doubt that the current cars, could, like the past ones, be altered enough to meet be made street legal, at least in the US, without looking like the Frankenstein monster.

Erki
20th August 2007, 21:03
Well, Radical makes road-legal little protos, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make bigger ones.

And harv#1, are you sure the GT1/2-s are really road legal?

trumperZ06
23rd August 2007, 17:37
;) Some of the ALMS GT1/GT2's... could be converted back to being road worthy... I'm not sure about some of the Porsche's.

:D By the time you take a street legal sportscar and convert it to being competitive in SCCA T1/T2 etc. classes... you have a dedicated Track Car.

These cars are No Longer... street legal... although they do have Vin numbers.

wmcot
24th August 2007, 10:07
Could you imagine trying to parallel park and Audi R10???

Actually, the GT1 Corvettes are not at all close to the street Corvette Z06's. They have had the engine moved further back to allow a large radiator outlet in the hood, they are extremely low to the ground, and all the body panels have quick releases for easy removal among other things.

See attached images:

wmcot
24th August 2007, 10:11
Additional Corvette Z06 GT1 photo:

CCFanatic
24th August 2007, 22:19
The Vette and most GT1 cars have been refered to Prototypes with a roof.

harvick#1
25th August 2007, 01:28
And harv#1, are you sure the GT1/2-s are really road legal?

well yeah, but not hte race cars themselves :p :

name one racing series that races straight production cars with no roll cage and passenger and rear seating, doesn't have racing suspension or diffuser.

I can't name any series :)

Mark in Oshawa
25th August 2007, 02:07
The Vette is closer to a street car more so than a NASCAR.....

Bob Riebe
25th August 2007, 07:09

Mar-shawa is correct.

It is the ACOs fault that the cars, even looking less radical, are actually modified more than Greenwoods Vettes were, and even without the diffures and wings, would be illegal by AAGT standards.

They are still built off of a production chassis, but it is the ACO that allows the suspension-body tweeks that make them fast enough in the corners, to cover-up the strangled engines that keep acceleration and top speed compromised.

Bob

trumperZ06
28th August 2007, 19:15
;) Corvette Racing's C-6R is quite different than the Vette you can buy from your local dealer. The C-6R does share a few things... chassis frame, some suspension pieces, and other odds and ends.

:D It's made and assembled by Pratt & Miller, has a completely different engine... including a special alumium block, and is EXPENSIVE !!!

wmcot
29th August 2007, 07:56
Are Le Mans Prototypes and Daytona Prototypes road legal? Saying if you did all the paperwork.

You mean legal in the sense that the Police can't catch them? ;)

wmcot
29th August 2007, 08:00

That's for sure! For decades now, the NASCAR models have not even resembled the road car that they carry the name of! Now that they have the "car of tomorrow" they have become a one make series with only the engines being different.

courageous
1st September 2007, 20:06
slightly OT, but a japenese guy once bought a nippon car (Formula 2 single seater) & made it road legal, so I'm sure you could do the same with a proto - how much it would cost is anyone's guess.

Bob Riebe
3rd September 2007, 05:17
slightly OT, but a japenese guy once bought a nippon car (Formula 2 single seater) & made it road legal, so I'm sure you could do the same with a proto - how much it would cost is anyone's guess.

In Minn. you would have to disable the the diffuser, as,if it pulled a rock off of the road and threw it into the windshield of the car following; if the driver reported the license of the road p car, he would get a ticket for not having a mud flap over the diffuser, another ticket for throwing the rock, careless driving, and he would have to pay for the damage to the following vehicle.

People with trucks, nowadays, it is not longer a fix-it ticket, you get a pay the fine ticket.
My boss found out the hard way, a short time back.
Bob

Rover V8
28th September 2007, 12:50
Remember the Lister LMP from 3 or 4 year back?

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/Lister-BC6.jpg

Pics of it, returned to it's original 2003-spec, and sitting on a trailer in a field(!) turned up on another forum yesterday- apparently, it had just been delivered to a bodyshop somewhere in the UK, for a new paintjob.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/thekirbyfake/CIMG2590.jpg

Why? Well, according to Dailysportscar.com this morning, Lister have sold it, and are converting it to a street-legal spec for the buyer....

FormerFF
6th October 2007, 03:30
On the way up to Road Atlanta, and again on static display in the Paddock, I saw an R8 road car. I thought it looked great. It kind of reminds me of a grown up Lancia Stratos.

I'd assume the only think it shares with the R8 racing car is the name. It's a neat car nonetheless.

Oh, and on a completely different note: If you're planning on watching the Speed World Challenge GT race next week, record it and use the Fast Forward to buzz through the yellows. There are a lot of them.

Paul Holroyd
4th December 2007, 11:45
I new a bloke that had a street legal Porsche 917 replica in the Gulf Colours, Sadley he passed away. The car is up for sale.

samehere
5th December 2007, 10:52

they are legal but you need to be quicker then the police (this should not be a problem with a LMP1/2 :-) )...but in fact many of the p1/2 have all what it takes to be legal but they are for sport purposes so they would not be allowed for normal traffic...and the safety structures are out of this world...you would not like to crash into a LMP1 Audi R10 with your Ford or Buick, it would end very bad for the ford boy :-)

nitromaniac
6th January 2008, 12:41
The Vette and most GT1 cars have been refered to Prototypes with a roof.

Don't know where you got that bit of info but it's not even close!

Osella
10th January 2008, 22:31
I believe the reference was to say that they are 'more like prototypes with a roof than the road cars they are based on'
Which is pretty much correct, as I believe only very minor parts of trim, if anything, actually come from the production lines..

Rover V8
13th January 2008, 14:27
I new a bloke that had a street legal Porsche 917 replica in the Gulf Colours, Sadley he passed away. The car is up for sale.

http://www.porschesport.com

Count Rossi, of Martini fame, went one better in the 70's- Porsche converted a genuine ex-factory team 917 to street-legal spec for him (well, approximately street-legal- apparently he had trouble getting the car registered in Europe, so had it registered in the US and ran it on Alabama plates....)

http://www.qv500.com/porsche917street.php

Osella
14th January 2008, 00:29
Vern Schuppan also used some of the (I believe) RLR-fabricated chassis and converted them into road-legal 962's from his base in Japan, albeit with much-altered bodyshapes..

The Dauer idea was a little further, as Jochen Dauer was doing a similar thing in Germany, but for Le Mans the Porsche factory team got involved and took racing 962's, converted them to road-legal status to get them registered as a GT, then took the same cars and converted them back to, in effect, flat-bottomed 962's to meet the GT1 regs and promptly won Le Mans in 1994 ;)
I think that was the ultimate pisstake but :up: to Porsche for doing it!

There are also other examples of people who have converted 1995/6 era 911GT2's to road-legal spec.

As for the other way, the Rollcentre Racing British GT TVR Cerbera Speed 6 of 2001 started out life as a road car, and the 'CAT' engine in a private Lola a couple of years ago at Le Mans was just nicked out of a VW Touareg after VW refused to sell the engine alone.

And of course, all Le Mans cars were road-legal up to a point in the 50's, and used to be driven to the track and then back home again afterwards in some cases!

aghosh1
8th September 2008, 18:33
I too would love a road legal version of an LMP. I know Mosler make something similar if you do a google search of mosler. Also Caparo T1 is supposedly the closest road legal vehicle to an F1 car but I think it looks more like an LMP1.
If you want any of these cars you may have to win the lottery when its a rollover!!!