PDA

View Full Version : Alan Jones: The mistake Alonso made in Hungary...

Somebody
12th August 2007, 05:18
Alan Jones: The mistake Alonso made in Hungary... was apparently just "not thinking quickly enough" to deliberately stall in his pit box rather than waiting as he did :)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2146981,00.html

ShiftingGears
12th August 2007, 05:28
Jones is a clever champion, and always calls a spade a spade. I throughly enjoyed that article.

Valve Bounce
12th August 2007, 10:24
As I said several times before, Alonso's mistake was to wait the extra 10 seconds. I felt they would have unerved Hamilton sufficiently with the 20 second wait without him adding to it. Too clever by half!

BDunnell
12th August 2007, 10:32
Great article, as ever by Maurice Hamilton. Very interesting points made by Alan Jones, too.

DonnieDarco
12th August 2007, 11:05
Thing is, Alonso couldn't stall the car because then HE wouldn't have got that last lap in either, and no pole :D Alonso wasn't trying to wreck his own chances, just Hamilton's ;)

As things turned out he may just as well have done, but he didn't know that then - does now :D

Valve Bounce
12th August 2007, 11:35
Thing is, Alonso couldn't stall the car because then HE wouldn't have got that last lap in either, and no pole :D Alonso wasn't trying to wreck his own chances, just Hamilton's ;)

:D

That's what I thought too!

rohanweb
12th August 2007, 11:49

As things turned out he may just as well have done, but he didn't know that then - does now :D

hehehe thats absolutely right,
i am wondering jealousy drives people to do things without much focus ahead!
Alonso would have just settled to the 2nd on the grid to LH and still has had a fair chance to beat LH on the track.. but he wasnt a wise man !

wmcot
13th August 2007, 07:15
Alan Jones: The mistake Alonso made in Hungary... was apparently just "not thinking quickly enough" to deliberately stall in his pit box rather than waiting as he did :)

The same thought occurred to me at Monaco last year when MS should have "tapped" the armco!

Valve Bounce
13th August 2007, 08:20
The same thought occurred to me at Monaco last year when MS should have "tapped" the armco!

..............or simply spun his car around and then stalled it somewhere on the track.

I guess this ruse will be used more effectively by a team simply running one of its cars off the track at a location where the marshalls can then wave a yellow flag. If this is done whenever there is only a minute or so left in quals, then Q3 is effectively ended by the yellow flag. Or, to make it more effective, they can simply run the car over some kerbing, spin the car around and then stall it just off the track. There has to be a change in Q3 after this because this has exposed a flaw in Q3 that I brought up ages ago: what do you do in a red flag situation with less than 2 minutes to go in Q3? All the fuel top ups and final hot laps are buggered.

I have always advocated giving cars 2 hot laps in Q3, one in the first half, and one in the final half. If a red flag situation occurs in the dying minutes, then simply add enough time to allow the cars that have not done so to run their second hot lap then. All this current Mickey Mouse parading before the final hot lap is just ridigilis.