PDA

View Full Version : WTCC and Brands Hatch

Winchester
9th August 2007, 19:29
All being well I'm heading to the WTCC next month.
Just a couple of questions -
1) Is it worth going? and
2) What races are on the support bill?

peewhee
9th August 2007, 20:17
All being well I'm heading to the WTCC next month.
Just a couple of questions -
1) Is it worth going? and
2) What races are on the support bill?

If you are a true touring car fan, you would't need to ask!

Any chance to get to see top class touring car's in action, must be worth the trip...

Not particularly interested in the support races myself.

Interestingly... the poster produced by Brands Hatch for the event, shows the cars going the wrong way round the circuit!

SEATFreak
10th August 2007, 15:04
If am a growing fan of the WTCC, this will be my first full season at it's end, and frankly even if I did have the cash to get a ticket and was the kind of person who is a confident long distance traveller, I am dissapointed enough in the roster in both classes that I think I would personally hesitate to get a ticket.

A problem with the Yokohama Independents Trophy roster is the number competing season-long hasn't been good. To my knowledge only Zandvoort, Valencia and race 1 at Brno have seen enough drivers finish and/or compete so that all the points available right from 10pts to 1pt were awared out. At Brno 8 competed but because Luca Rangoni got a DNF in race 2 only 7 finished so the 1pt for 8th was never awarded. However it is interesting because despite winning 5 of the first 6 in the Independents trophy it isn't Luca that's leading. PYC is because he scored in every race - the only driver to do so in the WTCC.

I am not really that enamoured with the works drivers because, although it is very close in the top 3, not really one driver in any team, except for Augusto Farfus, has been truly outstanding.

Winchester
10th August 2007, 15:14
If you are a true touring car fan, you would't need to ask!

Not particularly interested in the support races myself.

Thanks, how helpful...
I have just a passing interest in touring cars in that I attend every round of the BTCC.
I've never understood that 'I'm a bigger fan than you' mentality.

Winchester
10th August 2007, 15:17
If am a growing fan of the WTCC, this will be my first full season at it's end, and frankly even if I did have the cash to get a ticket and was the kind of person who is a confident long distance traveller, I am dissapointed enough in the roster in both classes that I think I would personally hesitate to get a ticket.

A problem with the Yokohama Independents Trophy roster is the number competing season-long hasn't been good. To my knowledge only Zandvoort, Valencia and race 1 at Brno have seen enough drivers finish and/or compete so that all the points available right from 10pts to 1pt were awared out. At Brno 8 competed but because Luca Rangoni got a DNF in race 2 only 7 finished so the 1pt for 8th was never awarded. However it is interesting because despite winning 5 of the first 6 in the Independents trophy it isn't Luca that's leading. PYC is because he scored in every race - the only driver to do so in the WTCC.

I am not really that enamoured with the works drivers because, although it is very close in the top 3, not really one driver in any team, except for Augusto Farfus, has been truly outstanding.

I think they are all fair points SEAT Freak.
My main concern was the lack of variety with manufacturers. I think the drivers are good but maybe not as outstanding as they may be held up to be.
I'm looking forward to seeing Monteiro in a touring car though.

thompp
10th August 2007, 15:28
If you don't want to go yourself, I will be going and hope to post links to my photos on this forum.

SEATFreak
10th August 2007, 16:29
I think the drivers are good but maybe not as outstanding as they may be held up to be.

Not that any point you or I have raised I think is a good enough reason not to attend a race meeting but I would totally agree with that.

The racing has been good from those races I have taped. I think Chevy have really come on recently for example - especially in the last two rounds and the BMW teams are still showing strength. But no works driver has been scoring highly consistently.

My main concern was the lack of variety with manufacturers.

In what way though is their no variety with the manufacturers? Driver talent or array of competing manufacturers. Because I think the loss of JAS has left something - a loss or hole of some size. I also think certainly their could be with maybe one or two Alfa customer teams to add to Coelkenbergs Racing (Miguel Freitas). The Independents seem dominated by teams running BMW 320si's and Leons.

Funks
10th August 2007, 23:12
Yes it is worth going.
Primary reasons :
Y Muller, J Muller, Zanardi, Andy P, Farfus, Thompson, Larini, Menu, Tarquini and Coronel.

Winchester
10th August 2007, 23:14
SEATFreak, I just mean in terms of just four types of car instead of the vast array we currently enjoy in the BTCC. (Maybe 5 if the Accord turns up?)

VXRDartford
11th August 2007, 00:24
Unfortunatly not going this year as i am in spain. Went last year it was good fun but very wet!! Thought charging £14 or something like that for the pit walk about as a bit steep though.

WTCC has some good drivers (menu, huff, the muller's, priaulx, monterio etc) the thing that puts me off a bit is the way they keep changing the weights and performance breaks for each car after every race (well almost!) when one track might favour one car and another a different car.

When the racing is on it is good though. I think it is fpaudi, International formula masters and maybe a gt package on the support bill better than last year anyway

Les
11th August 2007, 21:23
just one reason for me going ----- HUFFY!

Eunos
12th August 2007, 03:45
I say go for it, I mean let's face it it only comes to the UK once a year so you might aswell take the advantage while you can.

I'm definatly going to try and go see it.

SEATFreak
12th August 2007, 08:29
SEATFreak, I just mean in terms of just four types of car instead of the vast array we currently enjoy in the BTCC. (Maybe 5 if the Accord turns up?)

I had a very strong incling that is what you meant. I don't think you can really make up the competing manufacturers by seeing increasing the number of drivers.
Peter Terting's return to SEAT and Rikard Rydells invitational drive for Chevy at Anderstorp I think has done little to improve the fact their is only 4 factories - none doing exceptionally well (BMW, SEAT, Chevy and Alfa Romeo).

just one reason for me going ----- HUFFY!

I must say you haven't made a bad choice too! Rob for me looks like being the better British driver. Andy Priaulx has scored far more consistently but I think Rob Huff, I think by virtue of the fact Chevy look to have been at the front more, may have driven the better.

m0rk
12th August 2007, 09:41
I had a very strong incling that is what you meant. I don't think you can really make up the competing manufacturers by seeing increasing the number of drivers.
Peter Terting's return to SEAT and Rikard Rydells invitational drive for Chevy at Anderstorp I think has done little to improve the fact their is only 4 factories - none doing exceptionally well (BMW, SEAT, Chevy and Alfa Romeo).

The fact that none are head & shoulder above the rest proves the equalisation is working correctly

I must say you haven't made a bad choice too! Rob for me looks like being the better British driver. Andy Priaulx has scored far more consistently but I think Rob Huff, I think by virtue of the fact Chevy look to have been at the front more, may have driven the better.

I bet any money going that Rob makes more time for 'fans' though.... maybe I'm just lucky, but whenever/wherever I see him he always makes time to say "Hi" and just chat

Allyc85
12th August 2007, 12:45
Yea robs a top bloke. Thruxton 04 he made a real point of getting me Platos autograph when jason really couldnt be arsed!

SEATFreak
12th August 2007, 13:33
The fact that none are head & shoulder above the rest proves the equalisation is working correctly

Five meetings has seen equality changes.

According to an article on touringcartimes.com at Curitiba BMW got a 15kilo weight break for agreeing to rolling starts. At Zandvoort Alfa, SEAT and Chevy got a weight break of 25kilos. At Valencia Chevy again had a weight break of 25kilos but this time SEAT could choose between -25kilos or an increase in the engine compressio ratio (11:1 to 13:1). At Pau Alfa saw a return of 25kilos. And finally at Porto Alfa, SEAT and Chevy had -20kilos.

So it seems Alfa and Chevy were the worst hit. For Alfa they got a weight break of 25kilos at Valencia which was put back at Pau but 20kilos was taken of at Porto. For Chevy, like Alfa they got a weight break of 25kilos, another 25 was taken off at Valencia, and finally again like Alfa at Porto they had 20 taken away.

All very confusing if correct (and I know nothing about the weights to begin with). But as you say it has opened up the WTCC with the leader with 58, second with 57 and third with 56.

Funks
12th August 2007, 13:34
Huff is quick but you can pretty much guarantee that if there is a cloud of dust somewhere, he'll be a likely candidate to be the one climbing out of the car and clocking up a DNF. Gets into too many scrapes to mount a championship challenge unfortunately. Still, wish him good luck at his home race though.

SEATFreak
12th August 2007, 17:57
Huff is quick but you can pretty much guarantee that if there is a cloud of dust somewhere, he'll be a likely candidate to be the one climbing out of the car and clocking up a DNF. Gets into too many scrapes to mount a championship challenge unfortunately. Still, wish him good luck at his home race though.

Their is only three drivers who have racked up four DNF's this season in the WTCC.

Sergio Hernandez, Alain Menu...and guess who else?

NoahsGirl
13th August 2007, 18:45
I've never been to Brands let alone a WTCC round,a nd I'm relly looking forwrd to going! Honestly, I am going for the racing, not just for a certain Frenchman.........

SEATFreak
13th August 2007, 18:58
David Ginola? :laugh: :p :

NoahsGirl
13th August 2007, 19:13
Drat, rumbled...