PDA

View Full Version : Is this 4Real?

martinbalmer
9th August 2007, 13:13
As much as they might have a "good" case in their own minds to want to name their child something, er, different, do they not have a dutie to ensure they are not landing the poor kid with a name that's going to cause him grief as he grows up...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6937327.stm

LotusElise
9th August 2007, 14:26
I do not understand some people's thought processes. I've got nothing against unusual names, but there's unusual and there's stupid. That little boy will grow up to be an adult one day. Called Superman. Except he probably won't because he'll change it to Stephen or Stuart or something as soon as he's old enough.

BDunnell
9th August 2007, 14:27
I do not understand some people's thought processes. I've got nothing against unusual names, but there's unusual and there's stupid. That little boy will grow up to be an adult one day. Called Superman. Except he probably won't because he'll change it to Stephen or Stuart or something as soon as he's old enough.

Exactly.

And, furthermore, what on earth is wrong with good old fashioned names like Gaylord or Wolfgang?

BeansBeansBeans
9th August 2007, 14:38
I used to work in a registry office, and what annoyed me were all the 'cutesy' names that people use. I saw many Kayleigh-Jades, a Summer-Mae and even a Phoenix-Blue.

I think parents need to realise that they aren't just naming a cute baby; they're naming a teenager, an adult and hopefully an elderly person too.

BeansBeansBeans
9th August 2007, 14:39
And, furthermore, what on earth is wrong with good old fashioned names like Gaylord or Wolfgang?

I had to ring a client called Mr Gaylord recently.

I had to think dark thoughts to stop myself from 'corpsing'.

ChrisS
9th August 2007, 14:41
So the only problem was that they wanted the name to start with 4? Would it have been acceptable if they'd named him Forreal or Fourreal?

BDunnell
9th August 2007, 14:52
I had to ring a client called Mr Gaylord recently.

I had to think dark thoughts to stop myself from 'corpsing'.

At my old job, a very nice elderly man with a voice like Brian Sewell used to ring up and often mention a solicitor called Mr Forsdick. Unfortunately, for some reason, he used to really emphasis the second syllable of his surname.

It had much the same effect as Mr Gaylord did to you.

schmenke
9th August 2007, 16:50
I'm changing my name to Max Power :vader:

Eki
9th August 2007, 16:58
They will probably refer to him "Superman, previously known as 4Real".

Drew
9th August 2007, 17:01
Are you for real?

CarlMetro
9th August 2007, 19:45
At my son's nursery there is already a Meadow (no prizes for guessing where she was concieved) and a Destiny Angel :\

BeansBeansBeans
9th August 2007, 20:01
Destiny Angel

That is truly awful.

schmenke
9th August 2007, 20:09
In hindsight I should have named my two kids as "Hey You" and "Stop That" :mark:

KILOHMUNNS
9th August 2007, 20:14
In my line of work I have spoken to many with a strange/amuzing name.

I had to ask for A Dick (the message I got didn't state male or female) at a company and was asked "Which one?" !! Thankfully before I burst out laughing thinking she was making a joke she stated Andrew or Adrian.

Two of my other favorite names I have come across are (and they are all real)
Mr Woodencock (who lived in England) and Willi Champagne (who lived in Amsterdam)

CCFanatic
9th August 2007, 20:40
That is sad. I know a kid at school, his first name is Jack, and middle name Daniels. So it was Jack Daniels Webber. Gets a good laugh when he tells people his name.

fandango
9th August 2007, 21:12
I remember that moment when you see the image, and especially when you hear the heartbeat, for the first time. It's a big moment. But it's kind of losing perspective to name the child after a big moment in YOUR life. Let them have their own. I mean, at that rate you might as well call them "Feckin' Jaysus, I'm Going To Be A Dad"

Drew
9th August 2007, 21:46
That is sad. I know a kid at school, his first name is Jack, and middle name Daniels. So it was Jack Daniels Webber. Gets a good laugh when he tells people his name.

I don't think the Jack Daniels bit is so bad :confused:

RaceFanStan
9th August 2007, 21:49
So much for fitting in with the earthlings & not attracting any attention ..... :eek:
Now everyone will know he is an alien & expect him to do tricks. :s :rolleyes:

LeonBrooke
9th August 2007, 21:51
As much as they might have a "good" case in their own minds to want to name their child something, er, different, do they not have a dutie to ensure they are not landing the poor kid with a name that's going to cause him grief as he grows up...

I have to say I'm ashamed that you found this.

They've been appearing on all the current affairs shows talking about how they wanted to name their kid 4real. One of the favourite soundbites was the father saying, "you can write your school exams in text speak, people use text speak everywhere, so why not in a baby's name?"

What a load of rubbish. They were appealing the ban on 4real and somehow thought the New Zealand public were behind them.

It all begins to make sense when you know that they work for an advertising agency.

Drew
9th August 2007, 22:01
I have to say I'm ashamed that you found this.

They've been appearing on all the current affairs shows talking about how they wanted to name their kid 4real. One of the favourite soundbites was the father saying, "you can write your school exams in text speak, people use text speak everywhere, so why not in a baby's name?"

What a load of rubbish. They were appealing the ban on 4real and somehow thought the New Zealand public were behind them.

It all begins to make sense when you know that they work for an advertising agency.

Yes, the man's write you can do your school exams in text speak. You'll just fail horrendously, like I presume he did.

You can do that as much as you can go up to White House, take a crap on the lawn, then use the US flag to wipe yourself clean, morons!

LeonBrooke
9th August 2007, 22:04
This is where I cringe even more as I impart an even worse truth.

Just after I left school, there was serious talk of allowing text-speak exams to be properly marked and considered. I'm not sure if it went through, but people were seriously talking about it...

Don't blame me for this.

LeonBrooke
9th August 2007, 22:08
I'd like to point out that these aren't the equivalent of chavs, they're upper-middle-class media people.

Ian McC
9th August 2007, 22:43
and a Destiny Angel :\

I wonder if she has sisters called Symphony, Rhapsody, Melody and Harmony ;)

jarrambide
9th August 2007, 23:53
They should move to Venezuela, they will not have any troubles naming the kid whatever they want.

A couple of months ago the New York Times had an article about Venezuelans naming habits.

Apparently in Venezuela every parent is very concern about the name of their kids, they believe that a common name will produce a common kid, and a strange or different name will create a special child.

According to the article, Venezuelans began by naming their kids with foreign names, so people started naming their kids Paul, John, Susan, Svetlana, Mika, Henrik, Francoise, Henrietta and so on, which sounds little bit funny in a Spanish speaking country.

After a while a huge percentage of Venezuela's kids had foreign names, which meant the kids with those names where not that special or different, using a foreign name was not enough, so the parents decided that the way to go was to use foreign names of famous people, it didn't matter if they were famous for the wrong reasons, as long as the name was of a famous person, their kids would be special, since some historic personalities had common names or were known by their surname or their pseudonym rather than by their first name, you had kids with names, surnames and pseudonyms of famous people as first names.

So the country is now full of kids with names like Washington, Malcolm X, Lenin, Hitler, Stalin, Voltaire, Dumas, Pele, Churchill, Disney, Evitaperon(all together) and so on.

The problem was that there are so many Lenins, Churchills, Washingtons or Hitlers a country can have, so according to the article the parents are now using different methods to create a unique and special name, one method is using one of the parents name and spelling it backwards, if the father is named Pedro, the kid will be call Ordep, if the mother is called Maria, the kid will be call Airam(this one sounds nice in my opinion), another method is to combine the names of both parents, if the father is named Gerardo and the Mother is named Marcela, the kid will be either Germar or Marger, another method is picking a name at random from a book in another language (hopefully no one will stumble with the word dipshi t or anything worst) or just inventing a name.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 04:24
I'd like to point out that these aren't the equivalent of chavs, they're upper-middle-class media people.
]
Oh hey, as soon as I read the start of this, I knew these morons have too much time on their hands, that makes them at the very least idle wealthy types. Look to hollywood and show biz for stupid names. Apple is Gwenyth Paltrow's kid with Chris Martin. APPLE? Lourdes is the daughter of Madonna (another headcase walking the planet with too much money). We can go on and on, but the point is that the people who spend the most time looking to make stupid names (outside of Venezuela, I guess there it is the national pastime) are usually ones with the time and money to do whatever they want, and this is the expression of this "power". Most of us normal people name their kids normal names because we know that in the end, it isn't the name that does great things, it is the kid that grows up with that name, and we have better things to do with our time than make up names that will so embarass the child that we leave them scarred. When you are poor, you cant afford the shrinks the kid will need....

fandango
10th August 2007, 08:25
I don't think the Jack Daniels bit is so bad :confused:

I have a friend called John Walker. (Not to mention Paddy.... )

CarlMetro
10th August 2007, 09:02
I wonder if she has sisters called Symphony, Rhapsody, Melody and Harmony ;)

I was talking to her mum and dad at a child's birthday party last year and asking in passing if they were fans of Captain Scarlet, the blank expressions on theri faces sumned it all up for me really :\

For those who don't know what I'm talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_Angel

CarlMetro
10th August 2007, 09:08
Ah, so that's where they got the idea from ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6913310.stm

Glamour model Jordan and pop star Peter Andre have named their baby daughter Princess Tiaamii.
Jordan, who was born Katie Price, said the first name was chosen because the girl was "our princess".

And Andre came up with the middle name by combining his mother's name, Thea, with that of Jordan's mother, Amy.

"We've put an accent over the first A to make it more exotic and two Is at the end just to make it look a bit different," Jordan told OK! magazine.

Andre added that they were "happy and proud" of their daughter, who was born on 29 June.

"Katie always loved the name Princess, but everyone thought it was a bit over the top."I loved it too but I wanted to name her after both our mums.

"Then I just woke up one morning and thought, I know! We'll just put them together!. If people don't like it, that's up to them."

Jordan also revealed that she had considered calling the girl Tinkerbell, but rejected the idea because too many celebrities had chosen it for their dogs.

:rolleyes:

LotusElise
10th August 2007, 09:39

That puts a whole new perspective on it. Attention-seeking media types, says it all.

I heard on another forum that some of the appallingly-named celebrity offspring we hear about aren't really called that on their birth certificates - some celebs announce made-up names for their kids that they don't actually use to get more media attention. "Princess" is believed to be one of these, although Tiaaaaaaaaaaaammmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, or however it's spelled, is supposed to be a real name.

Donney
10th August 2007, 12:07
]
Oh hey, as soon as I read the start of this, I knew these morons have too much time on their hands, (..) Lourdes is the daughter of Madonna (another headcase walking the planet with too much money). We can go on and on, but the point is that the people who spend the most time looking to make stupid names (outside of Venezuela, I guess there it is the national pastime) are usually ones with the time and money to do whatever they want, and this is the expression of this "power". Most of us normal people name their kids normal names because we know that in the end, it isn't the name that does great things, it is the kid that grows up with that name, and we have better things to do with our time than make up names that will so embarass the child that we leave them scarred. When you are poor, you cant afford the shrinks the kid will need....

Lourdes is a very common name in Spain and Portugal after the apparition of the Virgin (http://www.marypages.com/) to St Bernadette in Lourdes.

Wheter you like it or not is another matter, but I would not say it is stupid or related to morons with much time on their hands.

BDunnell
10th August 2007, 13:50
According to the article, Venezuelans began by naming their kids with foreign names, so people started naming their kids Paul, John, Susan, Svetlana, Mika, Henrik, Francoise, Henrietta and so on, which sounds little bit funny in a Spanish speaking country.

After a while a huge percentage of Venezuela's kids had foreign names, which meant the kids with those names where not that special or different, using a foreign name was not enough, so the parents decided that the way to go was to use foreign names of famous people, it didn't matter if they were famous for the wrong reasons, as long as the name was of a famous person, their kids would be special, since some historic personalities had common names or were known by their surname or their pseudonym rather than by their first name, you had kids with names, surnames and pseudonyms of famous people as first names.

So the country is now full of kids with names like Washington, Malcolm X, Lenin, Hitler, Stalin, Voltaire, Dumas, Pele, Churchill, Disney, Evitaperon(all together) and so on.

I bet there aren't many George Ws in Venezuela!

555-04Q2
10th August 2007, 14:32

What a joke :down: Just goes to show, small brains and too much spare time make you a nutter :( I feel sorry for that kid having to put up with parents like his for the rest of his life :down:

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 18:46
Lourdes is a very common name in Spain and Portugal after the apparition of the Virgin (http://www.marypages.com/) to St Bernadette in Lourdes.

Wheter you like it or not is another matter, but I would not say it is stupid or related to morons with much time on their hands.

My apolgies to those in Spain and Portugal who have the name. To me Lourdes was a place, and I knew the significance of it. That said, Madonna didn't name the child for Catholic reasons for she has spent a life time demeaning and insulting the church. My rant is definately against celebs who use trendy and "weird" names to draw attention to their own massive egos while ignoring the implications of that decision on the poor child...

tinchote
10th August 2007, 18:55
The most disturbing thing here is parents thinking of their babies as something they own, and not as an individual who will likely go on to have a meaningful independent life.

And it would be great if it were only about the name, but think about it: parent who name their child after their own experiences, what kind of education are they going to bring? :s

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 20:31
The most disturbing thing here is parents thinking of their babies as something they own, and not as an individual who will likely go on to have a meaningful independent life.

And it would be great if it were only about the name, but think about it: parent who name their child after their own experiences, what kind of education are they going to bring? :s

Tin, that is it in a nutshell. Ego is driving the parents to do this for their own gratification, as if the child is just another possession. Yet it is many who participate in this practice who in the next breath tell everyone how compassionate they are and how they worry about our youth, and meanwhile they saddle the kid with a retarded handle for no reason other than their own inflated ego. Dorks....

jarrambide
10th August 2007, 21:34
My apolgies to those in Spain and Portugal who have the name. To me Lourdes was a place, and I knew the significance of it. That said, Madonna didn't name the child for Catholic reasons for she has spent a life time demeaning and insulting the church. My rant is definately against celebs who use trendy and "weird" names to draw attention to their own massive egos while ignoring the implications of that decision on the poor child...

Just in time, one of my aunts is call Lourdes and she hits pretty hard according to my uncle.

I always wanted to call my firstborn just like my grandfather and my great grandfather and (you get the picture), Joxan Ander and if it was a woman then like my grandmother Amagoia, but apparently those names are a bit strange for Mexicans so I was informed by my wife that I will not be able to choose the names at all, which means that my kids will probably have names commonly use in Mexico, (since they will probably be born in the US I played my last card, telling my wife that names commonly use in Mexico were probably as strange in the US as Basque names in Mexico, she just laughed and told me "This is Texas, Pablo, Pedro and Jesus are probably more common then Paul, Peter and John") I just hope she doesn´t choose my name, there are probably 10 or 20 million of Joses in the world, but as long as she stays away of 4Real, Pineapple, howsadiwantedagirl I will be a happy camper.

BDunnell
10th August 2007, 22:09
Tin, that is it in a nutshell. Ego is driving the parents to do this for their own gratification, as if the child is just another possession. Yet it is many who participate in this practice who in the next breath tell everyone how compassionate they are and how they worry about our youth, and meanwhile they saddle the kid with a retarded handle for no reason other than their own inflated ego. Dorks....

I think there is also an element of such people firstly not realising that someone's personality is what makes them an individual, not their name, and secondly attempting to fill some sort of gap in their life with something 'spiritual' which can sometimes be reflected in name choices for their children.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 23:08
Just in time, one of my aunts is call Lourdes and she hits pretty hard according to my uncle.

I always wanted to call my firstborn just like my grandfather and my great grandfather and (you get the picture), Joxan Ander and if it was a woman then like my grandmother Amagoia, but apparently those names are a bit strange for Mexicans so I was informed by my wife that I will not be able to choose the names at all, which means that my kids will probably have names commonly use in Mexico, (since they will probably be born in the US I played my last card, telling my wife that names commonly use in Mexico were probably as strange in the US as Basque names in Mexico, she just laughed and told me "This is Texas, Pablo, Pedro and Jesus are probably more common then Paul, Peter and John") I just hope she doesn´t choose my name, there are probably 10 or 20 million of Joses in the world, but as long as she stays away of 4Real, Pineapple, howsadiwantedagirl I will be a happy camper.

Jose, your wife is right (how many men find out their wives are right too much?). In my trips to Texas, I noticed that hispanic names were more popular than any Caucasian ones. Personally, If I lived in Texas, I would name any son "Nolan" after my favourite Texan, Nolan Ryan......but Terry (Terry Labonte), and Anthony Joseph (AJ Foyt of course) would be right up there!

jarrambide
11th August 2007, 05:53
Jose, your wife is right (how many men find out their wives are right too much?). In my trips to Texas, I noticed that hispanic names were more popular than any Caucasian ones. Personally, If I lived in Texas, I would name any son "Nolan" after my favourite Texan, Nolan Ryan......but Terry (Terry Labonte), and Anthony Joseph (AJ Foyt of course) would be right up there!

I´m going to take a page out of the Venezuelans and instead of naming the guy Nolan Ryan Arrambide, he will be call Nalon Nayr Arrambide, or better yet, my favorite pitcher from the Astros when I was a kid was Mike Scott (maybe it was because he was the pitcher of the first Major League game I saw in person as a kid on my first trip to Houston), so maybe he will be Ekim Tocs Arrambide (Ekim sounds Basque, it even has a "k").

But you said it best, I´m finding out my wife is right too often, so the choice will not be mine. ;)

ShiftingGears
11th August 2007, 06:19
In the past they have had to intervene to stop parents naming their offspring Satan and Adolf Hitler.

AHAHAHAHAHAAH

oily oaf
11th August 2007, 06:45

E verdade Donney. There's plenty of Lourdes' and Immaculadas round Lisboa way.
In actual fact the Portuguese have a number of state approved names which have to be used by law.
That's probably why if you bawl out of an open window in Lisbon "Oi Rui yer tea's on the table" about 200 little kids will come rushing in and seat themselves round the kitchen table expectantly :(

When I was at school there was a little Irish geezer with the surname Plumber whose mum and dad thought it would be a jolly good idea to call the poor sod Walter and one of my boys swears blind that there was a kid in his class called Richard Head :eek:
They just don't think it through do they :D

Your Humble Servant
Hugh Jarce

dime3
11th August 2007, 09:48

I agree!. What parents consider 'cute' now may have traumatic effect to kids as they grow older and would become the subject of ridicule as they go through school age. The sad thing is that the child may not be able to bear the name callings and teases and that may cause dropout.

Donney
11th August 2007, 14:29

Thanks, having said that I completely agree with you. :up:

jso1985
11th August 2007, 21:40

and sounds funnier when the parents can't spell the name correctly, here we have many "Maicol" "Yonny" "Jans" and "Franzua"

Dave B
16th August 2007, 18:45
Ah, so that's where they got the idea from ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6913310.stm

Glamour model Jordan and pop star Peter Andre have named their baby daughter Princess Tiaamii.
Jordan, who was born Katie Price, said the first name was chosen because the girl was "our princess".
I hope that this vile couple soon realise that constantly prostituting their kids' stories out to the gossip rags is immoral and distasteful in equal measure. :s

Dave B
16th August 2007, 18:52
On a lighter note:

If 100,000 people join, my wife will let me name my second child Spiderpig (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2493319947&ref=nf) :p

Daniel
16th August 2007, 22:56
On a lighter note:

If 100,000 people join, my wife will let me name my second child Spiderpig (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2493319947&ref=nf) :p
:cheese:

Drew
17th August 2007, 00:01
I hope that this vile couple soon realise that constantly prostituting their kids' stories out to the gossip rags is immoral and distasteful in equal measure. :s

The kids have it bad enough already. One of them is blind and keep managing to "burn himself" and this current one has a name that Queen Latifah would laugh at.

jarrambide
17th August 2007, 00:47
The kids have it bad enough already. One of them is blind and keep managing to "burn himself" and this current one has a name that Queen Latifah would laugh at.
Yeah, but at least Queen Latifah chose her silly name, her parents called her Dana, I have no problesm with silly names, as long as you decided to have one after 18.