PDA

View Full Version : 2008 driver lineup

Glee
8th August 2007, 23:13
What does we know of the team / drivers for 2008?

Almost 100%:
Citroen: Seb and Sordo
Ford: Hirvonen. Marcus if he takes another season.
Stobart: Wilson and Henning Solberg

In theory 100:
Subaru: Solberg and Pons.

Probably:
Subaru: Atkinson

maybe:
Suzuki: Duval

Much of this will depend of if Marcus does retire or not (when will he make his decision public?). if he does retire it is not unlikely that his seat will be filled with Petter Solberg. He has allready stated that he had quiting Subaru as an option (http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/sport/motorsport/article1927745.ece)
But he does also state that "he is a Subaru-man".

Does other have any other driver lineup guess?

Lalo
9th August 2007, 00:18
Total Citroën WRT: Loeb + Sordo

BP-Abu Dahbi Ford WRT: Gronhölm (if he's in for another season) + Hirvonen + AlQassimi

Stobart VK-Ford WRT: Latvala (in case Marcus stays with the PB-Ford team. If not, Mikko could be named number 1 driver while Jari-Matti, number 2) + Henning Solberg + Wilson

Subaru WRT: Petter Solberg + Atkinson + Pons

OMV: Stohl + Galli (remember, Pirelli tyres next year, one of Gigi's biggest sponsors).

Munchi's Ford WRT (if they return next year): Luis Perez Companc + Villagra

Suzuki WRT: Duval + McRae vs. Rovanperä (one of both).

I believe it all depends on what Marcus decides concerning retirement by the end of this season. Also, for Suzuki, it remains on it's budget to pay for good, consistant and fast drivers who can help developing the SX4 WRC (remember McRae, alongside Sainz helped developing the Xsara WRC in 2003). It's a shame that Mitsubishi won't make a comeback next year. And what about Subaru's second WRT? Is it gonna be a real fact next year?

SubaruNorway
9th August 2007, 00:38
Didn't Subaru's second team have something to do with AlQassimi?

duff
9th August 2007, 01:05
Its all a lot of speculation until Marcus announces his plans. Then the fun starts!
I'm sure Petter is seriously considering his future as we speak. Hes not my favorite driver, but he is one of the best and he has had some incredibly bad luck over the last couple of years.
Its obvious that latvala is being groomed for the Ford seat, it just depends whether its '08 or '09 that he ends up there.
Suzuki is also going to be interesting. Its a manufacturers market and they have a lot of good drivers who will be hoping for a seat (Gardemeister, McRae, Meeke, P-G, Galli, Duval, Wilks). I personally hope to see either McRae or Galli in one of their seats (or Both), They are both very good for the sport.

TheDogBox
9th August 2007, 01:07
Do you reckon Atko was driving like a man who thinks Marcus will retire? :s mokin:

Glee
9th August 2007, 20:18
Do you reckon Atko was driving like a man who thinks Marcus will retire? :s mokin:

Well, will he retire or not?

jonas_mcrae
9th August 2007, 20:52
Didn't Subaru's second team have something to do with AlQassimi?

I think that is now over, with Bp-AbuDhabi-tesco-britishairways-pepsi-barclays-happyshopper-......M-SportFord-Wrt all his money and backup is there...

maybe subaru refused to make a non-subaru blue livery for them as I heard they did before?

alleskids
9th August 2007, 21:06
Al Qassimi was planning a team first with Mitsubishi, later with Subaru, and now with Abu Dhabi BP/Castrol Ford World Rally Team.
I thought that OMV was moving to IRC, since they payed a lot of money for a second rated Citroen Xsara WRC. And that's the reason why Daniel Carlsson's sponosors did brake away and that's the reason why Kronos Racing is moving to IRC.

Josti
9th August 2007, 21:20
I sincerely hope Wilson get's dumped next year. Ok, it was fun, bye bye :wave:

Give Wilks the seat for example.

COD
9th August 2007, 21:38
I sincerely hope Wilson get's dumped next year. Ok, it was fun, bye bye :wave:

Give Wilks the seat for example.

Daddy has made a five year plan for him, so no way it will happen. But there is hope. Warbold sort of learnt to drive in his fourth or fifth year in a WRC-car.

What I have hard thing to understand is that why team like Munchis don't take a talented driver for their second seat instead of "local heroe". It would make much more sence marketing wise to have a talented and fast driver scoring points alongside one local heroe who brings in the money

noel157
9th August 2007, 21:46
I read somewhere this week that Wilson has said he is going to take things easy in Germany...............

leno
9th August 2007, 21:55
(http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/sport/motorsport/article1927745.ece)
But he does also state that "he is a Subaru-man".

Can you translate in english please

Josti
9th August 2007, 21:55
Daddy has made a five year plan for him, so no way it will happen. But there is hope. Warbold sort of learnt to drive in his fourth or fifth year in a WRC-car.

Damnit I forgot...

I just don't see it happening with the guy, but I hope you're right. Where's Warmbold BTW...

...if you know what I mean ;)

DonJippo
9th August 2007, 22:02
What I have hard thing to understand is that why team like Munchis don't take a talented driver for their second seat instead of "local heroe". It would make much more sence marketing wise to have a talented and fast driver scoring points alongside one local heroe who brings in the money

Munchis don't need any marketing nor money...when you have 1.7 billion $ in your pocket it does not really matter..

Glee
9th August 2007, 22:10
Can you translate in english please

I'll try:

Solberg is thinking of Subaru Exit

Rally driver Petter Solberg said on Wednesday that he has been consideration quiting in Subaru after a troublesome season.

- I must admit that I have considerate quiting. You are dumb if you don't think of that [as more of a constant evaluation]

Solberg has had a tough season with several problems with his car. In Finalndthis weekend he had to withdraw because of engine problems.

The problems has got him to think that it could be better teams to drive, but he stress that he wont change team imminent.

- It is a Subaru-man I am, he sates.

leno
9th August 2007, 22:21
Thx for translation Glee :D

Halvard
9th August 2007, 22:41
I thought Gronholm was telling us about the future after Finland... like right after the rally. Does anyone know when?

Maui J.
9th August 2007, 22:56
I'll try:

Solberg is thinking of Subaru Exit

Rally driver Petter Solberg said on Wednesday that he has been consideration quiting in Subaru after a troublesome season.

- I must admit that I have considerate quiting. You are dumb if you don't think of that [as more of a constant evaluation]

Solberg has had a tough season with several problems with his car. In Finalndthis weekend he had to withdraw because of engine problems.

The problems has got him to think that it could be better teams to drive, but he stress that he wont change team imminent.

One possible option for Petter would be teaming up with Henning in a privately backed Ford Focus team. It seems like Henning had little trouble securing the big bucks from Expert, so you would think it would be even easier for an ex-World Champ.
I guess though Petter would be still better off with Subaru. He only has to concentrate on the driving not the business/financial side. Maybe this could be an option if/when Subaru leave the WRC or Petter finds himself in a 'McRae' type situation with no factory drive.

Which leads me to think, why has Colin McRae never tried to put a privateer deal together. If Gigi, Toni & Duval can put together part season deals with various sponsors (although they all feel through) , and Manfred Stohl putting back to back full seasons together. Then it seems McRae has wasted his time waiting for a factory drive. With a CV like his, you would think he would have a head start securing the stirling for a full on attack.

Anyway, just a thought. Back to work.

Lalo
9th August 2007, 23:16
One possible option for Petter would be teaming up with Henning in a privately backed Ford Focus team. It seems like Henning had little trouble securing the big bucks from Expert, so you would think it would be even easier for an ex-World Champ.

"Solberg-Ford WRT" sounds good :)

We can all see how Henning is driving this year in the Focus and he's not bad at all. Imagine Petter, with far more experience and a championship under his arm..

No kidding, maybe Petter would be far better with Ford, as it's the most reliable car in the championship nowadays, even more than the C4. Young Solberg would fit better in a Focus. Maybe one day... (before he get's closer to a McRae-like situation, please).

TheDogBox
9th August 2007, 23:42
But read the final sentence....

That's just a message to the team. He just signed a contract through to 2009; I don't think Subaru will be allow him to walk away without a fight.

ZequeArgentina
10th August 2007, 00:57

Don´t get me wrong, but Peerez Companc are the owners, and are doing what they liked.
I do not want to be repetitive, but for being an amateur who started racing only some 6 years ago, he do not do it wrong.

And for Villagra, he has talent, for sure. He was several times motocross champion in Argentina and Southamerica, also turned to rally grown up (over 30), but in a step by step way he turned out to be and outstanding driver.
Very safe, quick: he became several times national champion.
What you are seeing is exactly his plan: just learn, do not care of raw speed.

He only wants to be quick next year, in a car he knows, and rally he knows.

You may like that approach or not (I do not, for example) but it works for him.
He is almsot unbeatable in group N in Southamerica nowadays (even in WRC round in Argentina), and he may do some good performances next year.

I would preffer a youngster to became partner to Perez Companc, and later develop to WRC level, but Villagara is good, for sure.

duff
10th August 2007, 05:33
Which leads me to think, why has Colin McRae never tried to put a privateer deal together. .

Answer: His Ego!
I have always been a huge McRae fan but this is the reason. He had thought for a long time that he should be the highest paid driver in the WRC (as he used to be) and therefore he was waiting for a factory team to pick him up.
It has never happened and he hasn't driven for years.

GigiGalliNo1
10th August 2007, 06:20
A good team, Suzuki - Solberg & McRae! :p No one's thought of that now have they? I think that perhaps.... Petter should leave SWRT and go to the other SWRT :p But then again a contract is a contract... what would happen if he leaves? Fine? Penalty?

Gard
10th August 2007, 06:45
Petter already has in his contract, that he CAN leave if the cars doesn't perform. Petter demanded that, to sign last time.

LeonBrooke
10th August 2007, 07:06
No doubt there's some escape clause written in, maybe he'll have to give them money, or he's restricted on his options for new teams, or something.

Glee
10th August 2007, 07:35

<snipp>

Henning has a very god deal, but he lacks the testing that works drivers get to do.
(But maybe with a even bigger budged)

I also remember pre Rally Sweden some years ago. Petter was not satisfied with the amount of testing. He then used his own car (the 2003 champ car he got from Subaru) and held his own test drive….

jonkka
10th August 2007, 08:15
Petter already has in his contract, that he CAN leave if the cars doesn't perform. Petter demanded that, to sign last time.

I heard that too. Without knowing the exact wording of the clause, it's all speculation but "doesn't perform" is rather subjective, how does one define it? If it's tied to chance to the World Title then Petter could walk out right now.

Tomi
10th August 2007, 08:43
I heard that too. Without knowing the exact wording of the clause, it's all speculation but "doesn't perform" is rather subjective, how does one define it? If it's tied to chance to the World Title then Petter could walk out right now.

Exactly, it's a bit difficult to say the car dont preform if the team mate does result's with the same car. :)
On the other hand I think it would be good for Petter to try something else, the is no quaratee the the next car is any better, why waste a carreer sitting in a difficult car.

jonkka
10th August 2007, 10:11
It's difficult for outsiders to say what Petter should or should not do.

In a way, it is a pity that modern drivers do tend to stick with their teams for long (Makinen had 22 wins with Mitsubishi, Loeb has 32 with Citroen, Gronholm was six years with Peugeot and scored 18 wins for them, Solberg has been with Subaru since 2000 and so on). Great drivers like Hannu Mikkola (who has won with five different makes), Sainz, Kankkunen, Auriol and Rohrl (all with wins with four different makes) switched from team to team and instantly were competitive. Next season's driver speculations were much more spicy those days.

Ok, I realise that these days it's not so easy to switch and keep winning but still I'd like to see more shuffling around. Lack of competitive teams and top driver seats obviously doesn't help.

Glee
10th August 2007, 12:05
It is now one week after Rally Finland. Shouldn’t Marcus’ decision be out now?
No rumours or qualified guess anyone?

Glee
10th August 2007, 12:26
No rumours or qualified guess anyone?

jonkka
10th August 2007, 12:48

He said that he'll make the decision after Rally Finland, not immediately after Rally Finland or before Rally Deutschland. Patience, the decision comes out whenever he's done and ready to announce it.

Tomi
10th August 2007, 13:12
there is a negotiated written contract already, waiting for Grönholms name.

Glee
10th August 2007, 13:58
He said that he'll make the decision after Rally Finland, not immediately after Rally Finland or before Rally Deutschland. Patience, the decision comes out whenever he's done and ready to announce it.

If the answer is yes, there are still some contract-negotiations to be done, and hence the waiting time. If the answer was no, the decision would be made public sooner.
(It’s my guess).

If the date for announcement just is “sometime after NORF”, we could in theory wait until Christmas…

Josti
10th August 2007, 15:16
If the date for announcement just is “sometime after NORF”, we could in theory wait until Christmas…

I doubt it will take that long. Can't imagine the new driver beeing announced, when there's only a month before the season opener, especially beeing it a works drive. I expect it to be announced around the time after the Deutschland or New Zealand Rally.

Addicted
10th August 2007, 16:08

Isn`t Munchi`s WRT build around Perez Companc brothers? One car for Luis, who is driver and second for his brother Jorge, who is co-driver. Problem might be note language. How many european young guns are able to use spanish? notes? Garde-Duval-Latvala-Carlson-Aava-Wilks

LotusElise
10th August 2007, 16:17
Not all Spanish-speaking co-drivers call their notes in Spanish exclusively. If they work with a non-Spanish speaking driver they will normally use English.
Does anyone know if the Latin American dialects of Spanish are similar enough for a driver and navigator to understand each other well anyway?
I only say this because a Portuguese friend of mine claims that she does not understand Brazilian Portuguese and that it is almost another language.

DonJippo
10th August 2007, 18:43
If the answer is yes, there are still some contract-negotiations to be done, and hence the waiting time. If the answer was no, the decision would be made public sooner.

The contract is done and finalised only thing missing is his decision to continue or not.

Maui J.
11th August 2007, 04:01
Marcus is probably on a high at the moment after winning Finland, so the WRC seems all good to him. Winning in his backyard and going home(his real home, not a hotel) on Sunday night. The reality of the WRC will probably sink in when he has to sit on a plane for day to come out here to Rally NZ. This must surely be the biggest downside of this type of lifestyle, waiting at airports, sitting on planes. Plus all the PR palava that goes with it.

I wonder if he could negotiate a part time season with Ford in 2008. Mikko to step up to Number One driver and Marcus does only the gravel Euroland rounds.
That could be an interesting option, although it probably would hand the driver's title back to Seb on a plate. Maybe good for Ford to have a stronger presence on tarmac though in the chase for the manufacturers title.

ZequeArgentina
11th August 2007, 23:02
Not all Spanish-speaking co-drivers call their notes in Spanish exclusively. If they work with a non-Spanish speaking driver they will normally use English.
Does anyone know if the Latin American dialects of Spanish are similar enough for a driver and navigator to understand each other well anyway?
I only say this because a Portuguese friend of mine claims that she does not understand Brazilian Portuguese and that it is almost another language.

Spanish is talked quite the same in Latin America or Spain. There are several accents, and word not existing in other countries, or with different meaning, but yes anyone can understand each other (not the same with some regions of spain which use "Catalán" for example, which is not understood by spanish speaking ones who do not know it)

SubaruNorway
12th August 2007, 12:12
Some rumors that Petter has been in contact with Ford several times

"Har via ganske sikre kilder fått vite at Petter har hatt mye kontakt med Ford i det siste og hvis Marcus blir verdensmester i år og han slutter så er det godt mulig at han går til Ford. Subaru har ikke holdt det de har lovet, det er nok Petter rimelig lei!!!"

Velger å holde meg anonym når det gjelder dette.

http://www.norsk-rally.com/modules/module_119/debatt.aspx?DiscussionId=4&topicid=61885

koko0703
12th August 2007, 12:24
I can see Petter getting frustrated and wanting the way out of Subaru. However does Ford top team want Petter even if Marcus leaves at the end of season??? Ford already has Hirvonen and Latvala, who are pretty promising and have lots of time left. And I would assume Latvala is much cheaper than Petter. Then the other option is to form Ford private team, but is it really the way back to the title??? I'm not sure driving Ford's private car will bring back title to Petter.

Tomi
12th August 2007, 12:28
Some rumors that Petter has been in contact with Ford several times

"Har via ganske sikre kilder fått vite at Petter har hatt mye kontakt med Ford i det siste og hvis Marcus blir verdensmester i år og han slutter så er det godt mulig at han går til Ford. Subaru har ikke holdt det de har lovet, det er nok Petter rimelig lei!!!"

http://www.norsk-rally.com/modules/module_119/debatt.aspx?DiscussionId=4&topicid=61885

"ganske sikre"

SubaruNorway
12th August 2007, 13:11
"ganske sikre"

Forgot to translate,sorry

"I have through pretty sertain sources got to know that Petter has had much contact with Ford lately and if Marcus becomes world champion this year and he retires then it's quite possible that he wil head to Ford. Subaru hasen't held what have promised, and thats Petter pretty fed up with!!!

Choose to be anonymus about this case."

Motorsportfun
12th August 2007, 14:10
The situation is that one

BP-Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team
TBC
Mikko Hirvonen
Khalid Al Qassimi

Citroen Total World Rally Team
Sebastien Loeb
Daniel Sordo

Subaru World Rally Team
Petter Solberg
Chris Atkinson
Xavier Pons

(Shell Helix?) Suzuki World Rally Team
TBC
TBC

OMV Kronos Citroen World Rally Team
TBC (Stohl... but OMV will pay?)
TBC

Stobart VK M-Sport Ford Rally Team
TBC (Latvala? - IF Gronholm will remain next year)
Henning Solberg
Matthew Wilson

Munchi's Ford World Rally Team
TBC (Companc?)
TBC (Villagra?)

GigiGalliNo1
12th August 2007, 14:51
OooOoo I went...."Shell Helix Suzuki RT"

DonJippo
12th August 2007, 17:40
The situation is that one

TBC
Mikko Hirvonen
Khalid Al Qassimi

Sebastien Loeb
Daniel Sordo

Subaru World Rally Team
Petter Solberg
Chris Atkinson
Xavier Pons

(Shell Helix?) Suzuki World Rally Team
TBC
TBC

OMV Kronos Citroen World Rally Team
TBC (Stohl... but OMV will pay?)
TBC

TBC (Latvala? - IF Gronholm will remain next year)
Henning Solberg
Matthew Wilson

Munchi's Ford World Rally Team
TBC (Companc?)
TBC (Villagra?)

Kronos is for sure out, they go to IRC in 2008. Astra is said to be in negotiations with Citroen to be Citroen MT in 2008.

dot-niek
12th August 2007, 18:35
How about Hyundai, will they return to WRC?

Jaanus
12th August 2007, 18:40
Urmo Aava has a budget for 10-12 rallys in a WRC car next year. The original plan was to drive Mitsu but as we know that is not going to happen and he is now looking for a new car and new team. Stobart, Ramsport, Subaru and PH Sport could be options.

A.F.F.
12th August 2007, 19:47
What is Ramsport?

Jaanus
12th August 2007, 19:51
Ramsport is the team running Mikkelsen and Wilks Focus WRC cars and will have 3 2006 spec Focus WRC cars for next year.

COD
12th August 2007, 21:30
I meant of course that Perez Companc should drive one of the cars in Munchis as he is financing it (maybe together with his brother). But for achieving points and publicity, why not use the money to put a driver like Galli, Gardemeister, Duval etc. in the other car????

A.F.F.
12th August 2007, 21:34
Thanks Jaanus.

About Companc, surely not for the points but publicity level was great at NORF. Companc was the most entertaining driver IMO. He had very wide lines and often on the ditches. Great to watch and he surely had fun :up:

evo_wrc
12th August 2007, 23:43
Kronos is for sure out, they go to IRC in 2008. Astra is said to be in negotiations with Citroen to be Citroen MT in 2008.
Yes, indeed. Kronos moving to the IRC for a 2-car team. They will enter 2 Peugeot 207 Super 2000 for Casier and most likely Stohl... So don't count on Stohl for the WRC in 2008 either.

Lalo
13th August 2007, 04:34
I meant of course that Perez Companc should drive one of the cars in Munchis as he is financing it (maybe together with his brother). But for achieving points and publicity, why not use the money to put a driver like Galli, Gardemeister, Duval etc. in the other car????

Because what the team is trying to prove, at least for this year, is to have a totally Argentinean team with crews of the same country. It would have far better results hireing Galli, Gardemeister or Rovanperä for example..

Luis Perez Companc and Federico Villagra are the two greatest drivers here in Argentina, but they should have a guy with far more experience. The problem remains the same: money.

feresc13
13th August 2007, 07:27
Isn`t Munchi`s WRT build around Perez Companc brothers? One car for Luis, who is driver and second for his brother Jorge, who is co-driver. Problem might be note language. How many european young guns are able to use spanish? notes? Garde-Duval-Latvala-Carlson-Aava-Wilks

Well, I don't think that this could be a problem. I think that every co-driver can learn some words in the way to be understood by the driver, for example last year, Carlos del Barrio, the co-driver of Pons, is a spanish-speaker, because he's from Cantabria as Sordo, and he was saying the notes in catalan to Xevi (another and different language from Spain used in Catalonia, Valencia and Balear Islands).

I'm suprprised to see that every new thread created, it becames a Petter Solberg's future thread. I think that we'll see him in Subaru again, last year the car was not good, and today he's runing for Subaru.

So in my opinion:

Citroën
Sébastien Loeb and Dani Sordo

BP-Ford
Mikko Hirvonen, Jari Matti Latvala and Al-Qassimi

Subaru
Petter Solberg, Xevi Pons and Chris Atkinson

Suzuki
Toni Gardemeister and François Duval

Stobart
Matthew Wilson, Henning solberg and Andreas Mikkelsen

Munchi's
Luis Perez-Companc and Federico Villagra

So for me will retire Marcus Grönholm as a World Rally Champion, and Manfred Stohl, because Kronos will move to IRC.

Gigi Galli will move to IRC seatting on an Abarth car

GigiGalliNo1
13th August 2007, 08:02
Gigi Galli will move to IRC seatting on an Abarth car

Doubt that but will ask him later this week! :) (He doesn't like the S2000 cars)

And Stohl in the IRC.... is that moving down or up?

RS
13th August 2007, 09:19
Doubt that but will ask him later this week! :) (He doesn't like the S2000 cars)

Has he driven one?

jonkka
13th August 2007, 11:09
(He doesn't like the S2000 cars)

Who does? A car without a turbo is a shopping cart.

pino
13th August 2007, 11:51

I do :p : The Abarth is a great car and would love to see Gigi on it :D

noel157
13th August 2007, 12:13
Stobart
Matthew Wilson, Henning solberg and Andreas Mikkelsen

Why would Mikkelsen go anywhere near the Stobart team?
Next season he'll only be doing the European WRC rounds, does not need extra funding and has everything he needs to run a reliable programme with Ramsport.

White Sauron
13th August 2007, 12:15

Solberg seems to show interest in S2000 too...:

http://sport.piterfoto.com/images/zoom/WIMVVE/viewsize/070803wrc630e.jpg

SubaruNorway
13th August 2007, 12:46
Stobart is a bigger team than Ramsport, he was entered by stobart in rally Gb last year

feresc13
13th August 2007, 12:48
Next season he'll only be doing the European WRC rounds, does not need extra funding and has everything he needs to run a reliable programme with Ramsport.

Well, if Mikkelsen is not avaible for a full championship with Stobart, I think that we can change him for Wilks, seems ok, isn't it? :p

Gard
13th August 2007, 12:51
Solberg seems to show interest in S2000 too...:

http://sport.piterfoto.com/images/zoom/WIMVVE/viewsize/070803wrc630e.jpg

Must be some chic or something. NOBODY but car manufactores can have any interest in S2000. they're just lame. :hot:

White Sauron
13th August 2007, 12:58
Must be some chic or something. NOBODY but car manufactores can have any interest in S2000. they're just lame. :hot:

It was just a joke) Just a funny photo

MadCat
13th August 2007, 15:27
Stobart is a bigger team than Ramsport, he was entered by stobart in rally Gb last year

He was only entered under the name, his car was still prepared and run by Ramsport. Like Gareth Jones was under the Stobart name in Finland but was prepped and run by (I think) Dom Buckley IRS.

From MN and other sources, its my understanding that Mikkelsen will remain with Ramsport and is continuing to build up a team atmosphere around Andreas with someone as his team mate. This is likely to be Guy Wilks if he can come up with the sponsorship like he has done this season. They will use 3 2006 Focus WRC's which they are receiving at the end of the season.

SubaruNorway
13th August 2007, 16:03
Wasen't those three cars for Andreas one for the Norwegian championship and two for WRC as he needs to have one in reserve

ZequeArgentina
13th August 2007, 16:16
Thanks Jaanus.

About Companc, surely not for the points but publicity level was great at NORF. Companc was the most entertaining driver IMO. He had very wide lines and often on the ditches. Great to watch and he surely had fun :up:

That is what I wanted to said several times.
Perez Companc objectives are different to those of the Mikkelssn, Latvala, etc
He is not young, he knows he cannot be a world champion, he wants to have fun, and h does.
An in my opinion he does it quite well, surely he is not as fast as pro drivers, but he is not a shame for anyone.
Anyway, I do not agree wih Lalo, Villagra can be one the bests Arg. drivers, but not Perez Cmpanc. Pozzo, Ligato, Sanchez or even Yoma and Madero are better or with more potential.

GigiGalliNo1
13th August 2007, 16:29

I love those cars too! (and the S2000/IRC)

but....

Gigi's words are quite similar !

A.F.F.
13th August 2007, 17:50

Alen sure wasn't lame in NORF with Punto.

DonJippo
13th August 2007, 19:10
Alen sure wasn't lame in NORF with Punto.

Compared to WRC he sure was.

Woodeye
13th August 2007, 20:12

I totally agree.

Even that Punto was good looking car, it reminded me more of JWRC car than the real thing.

COD
13th August 2007, 20:39
I think WRC in NORF was very lame. No sound, no sideways action (except for Mikko once...)

The S2000 cars have sound and they provide more sideways action. Dump WRC, and bring on S2000

SubaruNorway
13th August 2007, 20:53
The only wrc car that sounds lame these days are the focuses they are almost so quiet it's almost unsafe, now we wont hear that front bumper scraping the ground ither.

COD
13th August 2007, 20:54
The only wrc car that sounds lame these days are the focuses they are almost so quiet it's almost unsafe, now we wont hear that front bumper scraping the ground ither.

And 60% of the WRC field are Focuses...

SubaruNorway
13th August 2007, 21:05
And 60% of the WRC field are Focuses...

There should be a lower db limit i think, no less than 90db

pino
13th August 2007, 21:39

Maybe, but I enjoyed very much to watch that car in action and especially to hear that great engine-sound "live" :D :s mokin:

A.F.F.
13th August 2007, 21:50

Compared big part of WRC he sure wasn't.

A.F.F.
13th August 2007, 21:50
The S2000 cars have sound and they provide more sideways action. Dump WRC, and bring on S2000

I think I have to buy you a beer :D :up:

DonJippo
13th August 2007, 22:17

You take away 30% of the performance and that gives you more action? Sure thing, S2000 is no where near WRC and what comes to the sound of Fiat S2000, I was expecting more than a overtuned foghorn...disappointed.

S2000 is good though in relation to PWRC and after NORF I'm sure more teams & drivers might start to think it as an option for PWRC next year.

cut the b.s.
13th August 2007, 22:38
There should be a lower db limit i think, no less than 90db

Totally agree, anyone else remember Pentti in the GpN Galant years back? Usually the 1st sound you heard was the sump gaurd on the road or the brakes :-0 He could peddle that car but I always felt the virtual lack of noise with it was dangerous

feresc13
14th August 2007, 07:46
Well if you think that sound's car is its power, listen a GTcar, I still can remember the sound of the Aston Martin that drove Xevi Pons last Osona Rally, very very spectacular.

But I think that we are getting out from the thread...

Roy
14th August 2007, 08:54
Follow new 'rumours and news':

Marcus Gronholm Maybe
Mikko Hirvonen
Khalid Al Qassimi

Sebastien Loeb
Daniel Sordo

Subaru World Rally Team
Petter Solberg
Chris Atkinson
Xavier Pons

J-M Latvala
Henning Solberg went to Ford 'A-team' when Gronholm left it
Matthew Wilson

Munchi's Ford World Rally Team IF there is a Munchi's team
Companc
Villagra

Suzuki World Rally Team
TBC
TBC

(?) Astra Citroen World Rally Team
Toni Gardemeister
TBC

feresc13
14th August 2007, 10:27
Follow new 'rumours and news':

Marcus Gronholm Maybe
Mikko Hirvonen
Khalid Al Qassimi

Sebastien Loeb
Daniel Sordo

Subaru World Rally Team
Petter Solberg
Chris Atkinson
Xavier Pons

J-M Latvala
Henning Solberg went to Ford 'A-team' when Gronholm left it
Matthew Wilson

Munchi's Ford World Rally Team IF there is a Munchi's team
Companc
Villagra

Suzuki World Rally Team
TBC
TBC

(?) Astra Citroen World Rally Team
Toni Gardemeister
TBC

Astra Citroën Rally Team!! It's sounds good, and the rumour is for a full championship or a few rallys?

Henning in BP?? Well, by the moment, despite Garde, maybe is the best option

Addicted
14th August 2007, 12:28
Season 2008 could start like this:

Abu Dhabi Ford
Mikko Hirvonen
Francois Duval
Khalid Al-Qassimi

Second Ford Team (full serie)
Matthew Wilson
Henning Solberg

Third Ford Team, Munchi`s
Luis Perez Companc
Jorge Perez Companc with his driver

Ramsport (european rounds)
Andreas Mikkelsen
Guy Wilks

Gareth MacHale, many starts with own team

Citoen
Sebastien Loeb
Daniel Sordo

Astra team or PH-sport (european rounds)
Gigi Galli
Some drivers with too much cash

Subaru
Petter Solberg
Jari-Matti Latvala
Xavier Pons

Subaru (european rounds)
Mads Ostberg

Suzuki
Toni Gardemeister
Chris Atkinson

Hoping to see drivers like
- Kris Meeke
- Daniel Carlson
- Urmo Aava
- Gareth Jones
- Tomas Schie
- Juho Hänninen
- Patrik Flodin
- PG Andersson
getting good program.

gerrycrossey
16th August 2007, 13:57
I just read on another thread there that Stobart Ltd merged yesterday with the Westbury Property Fund and have announced that they will be "reviewing" their WRC sponsorship commitments that expire at the end of this year! I cant see Perez fronting all the money to make the team VK ford? I think that if the worst comes to the worst that there could be two very good drivers without a seat. And i really cant see Latvala being let go by Wilson, a four seat ford team maybe or a shared third seat with the middle eastern fella?

Halvis
16th August 2007, 15:21
I just read on another thread there that Stobart Ltd merged yesterday with the Westbury Property Fund and have announced that they will be "reviewing" their WRC sponsorship commitments that expire at the end of this year! I cant see Perez fronting all the money to make the team VK ford? I think that if the worst comes to the worst that there could be two very good drivers without a seat. And i really cant see Latvala being let go by Wilson, a four seat ford team maybe or a shared third seat with the middle eastern fella?

Don't think there is any danger of Henning Solberg not getting a ride next year - you have to remember that he pays to drive, and his sponsors are giving him money for at least one more year. If it says Stobart or anything else on the car (or which car) is not important, as long as it is competetive!

MJW
16th August 2007, 15:39
Don't think there is any danger of Henning Solberg not getting a ride next year - you have to remember that he pays to drive, and his sponsors are giving him money for at least one more year. If it says Stobart or anything else on the car (or which car) is not important, as long as it is competetive!

I always found it strange to think of Henning as a "STOBART" driver as his car is not white and green! I know he is entered by Stobart as a name for an M2 entry, but to me Henning is associated with an orange coloured Expert car. In fact I wondered how Expert felt when it was referred to as a Stobart car.
I am sure that there will be 2nd and 3rd Ford Teams next year, just perhaps not called Stobart Ford.

Glee
18th August 2007, 17:24
If Marcus do retire, and Suzuki don't hire him, maybe Dudu won't be a bad choice for Ford?
It wasn't before he became Sebs teammate that his problems realy started...

Lalo
18th August 2007, 17:48
If Marcus do retire, and Suzuki don't hire him, maybe Dudu won't be a bad choice for Ford?

I second that

Kev2012
19th August 2007, 00:26
***Suzuki WRT: Duval + McRae vs. Rovanperä (one of both).***

Which McRae would that be? Allister or Colin?

Lalo
19th August 2007, 04:24
Colin of course. Alister... Ahm... You know, it's not the same thing.

Cheering goes to the one with champion wood

Brother John
20th August 2007, 16:11
Petter Solberg in 2008 ! :D by digibyte.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9959/fordfocuswrcfap3.jpg

pantealex
20th August 2007, 16:35
Digibyte team must also have pirelli tyres 2008...
and Petter do not like blue as a car color...

MJW
20th August 2007, 18:50
Over the weekend there were lots of comments that Garde will have a 16 round programme in a factory car for 08, I wonder if this is in a 3 car Citroen Team?. According to Autosport Magazine Loeb does not want Petter as his team mate. I also thin kthat Duval has increased his chances, probably at Suzuki.
My personal feeling is that Marcus will retire end of 07, IF so who gets the Ford seat? Petter & Subaru seemed to be more positive towards the end so perhaps he stays at SWRT.

SubaruNorway
20th August 2007, 19:13
Looking at the latest results theres no way there is going to be anyone else than Duval and Gardemeister in Suzuki, thats my opinion.

MikeD
20th August 2007, 19:24
Over the weekend there were lots of comments that Garde will have a 16 round programme in a factory car for 08, I wonder if this is in a 3 car Citroen Team?.

Citroen has said there is no money for a third car. Like others in here I expect Gardemeister to sign for Suzuki.

According to Autosport Magazine Loeb does not want Petter as his team mate. I also thin kthat Duval has increased his chances, probably at Suzuki.
My personal feeling is that Marcus will retire end of 07, IF so who gets the Ford seat? Petter & Subaru seemed to be more positive towards the end so perhaps he stays at SWRT.

I also think Marcus will retire at the end of this season. Sordo I very much expect to stay with Citroen, and at the end of the day I only see Petter in a Subaru or a Ford in 08. Many expect Latvala to move into the BP-Ford team, but maybe Petter is a safer choice if Ford wants to keep winning. He is after all a former champion.

Regarding Duval, then maybe he can get enough money to get some rallies for a Citroen M2 team if Astra Racing gets a deal to run two C4's. Kronos is definetely out of WRC after this season. But Duval in a Suzuki is also realistic.

dumb
20th August 2007, 20:05
Citroen has said there is no money for a third car. Like others in here I expect Gardemeister to sign for Suzuki.

I also think Marcus will retire at the end of this season. Sordo I very much expect to stay with Citroen, and at the end of the day I only see Petter in a Subaru or a Ford in 08. Many expect Latvala to move into the BP-Ford team, but maybe Petter is a safer choice if Ford wants to keep winning. He is after all a former champion.

Regarding Duval, then maybe he can get enough money to get some rallies for a Citroen M2 team if Astra Racing gets a deal to run two C4's. Kronos is definetely out of WRC after this season. But Duval in a Suzuki is also realistic.

Hey.You forgot Mikko Hirvonen.He has 2 WRC wins and he can make it more. And Mikko and Jari-Mati is very good choise to Ford.I think Subaru won't let Petter out.

tribefiend
20th August 2007, 23:33
Hey.You forgot Mikko Hirvonen.He has 2 WRC wins and he can make it more. And Mikko and Jari-Mati is very good choise to Ford.I think Subaru won't let Petter out.

Didn't they just sign him last year for 3 years? They're probably not interested in letting him go so soon after re-signing him. I don't see him being anywhere else than Subaru.

Will L
21st August 2007, 00:14
I'm sure Loeb is at Citroen. Subaru signed Solberg on until 2009. ;)

Buzz Lightyear
21st August 2007, 02:01
I think Subaru would be willing to let Petter go to be honest. Petter has led Subaru 'down the garden path' as regard setup.

If Petter continues to be outshone by Atkinson for the reminder of the year, it will be quite interesting where Petter thinks his future lays..

He is getting 'scared' of Aktinsons pace...He will not want to continiously beaten by Aktinson next year, so he might 'jump ship' before his stock gets too low..

Ford is his only option, but will drive a hard bargin, where Petter would get have to take a major pay cut, and get only proper money if he scores points.

A contract is a contract.. but if there is an amicable agreement, anything can happen.

L5-&gt;R5/CR
21st August 2007, 02:01
Didn't they just sign him last year for 3 years? They're probably not interested in letting him go so soon after re-signing him. I don't see him being anywhere else than Subaru.

Petter is supposed to have an opt-out clause in this contract...

Nobody is going to pay Petter what Petter is getting with his current performances (debates over whether or not it is the car are not important in this case).

RallyCat909
21st August 2007, 03:43
Why the problems with Petters car and not Atkinsons? That seems a bit backwards.

TKM
21st August 2007, 04:32
Chris has finally been allowed to have his own set up, previously he had to start a rally with Petter's set up. Plus I think Chris is better at driving around the problems with the car than Petter is.

COD
21st August 2007, 08:53
Why the problems with Petters car and not Atkinsons? That seems a bit backwards.

Sure does. But on the other hand look at Citroen: Sordo has suffered engine problems in both Finland and Germany and nothing in Loeb's car...

DonJippo
21st August 2007, 09:00
He is getting 'scared' of Aktinsons pace...He will not want to continiously beaten by Aktinson next year, so he might 'jump ship' before his stock gets too low..

That of course assuming that Atkinson stays at Subaru...

duff
21st August 2007, 09:44
All this speculation... You have to love the silly season!
No matter what happens in regards to which drivers are in which seats, its going to be interesting.

Woodeye
22nd August 2007, 08:20
Grönholm has to decide after Rally NZ what he'll do. So after that the speculating can really start.

Tony Simpson
22nd August 2007, 09:27
Answer: His Ego!
I have always been a huge McRae fan but this is the reason. He had thought for a long time that he should be the highest paid driver in the WRC (as he used to be) and therefore he was waiting for a factory team to pick him up.
It has never happened and he hasn't driven for years.

Think you are wrong R.E.D. here in the UK where going to take Skoda WRC end of 2005 for 2006 with McRae. Deal didnt happen sadly.

Roy
24th August 2007, 19:11

Kronos is NOT for sure out. Maybe they do both.

Marc van Dalen: "But it is not a problem for Kronos to do the IRC and the WRC
together like we have done this year. This is what I want to do and if I am really sure I have a guarantee to enter the top level in the WRC I will carry on."

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~4~id~153377.htm

Glee
8th September 2007, 22:58
Subaru and Citroen seams pretty much a done deal.

Ford still depends on Grönhom, and Suzuki seams to hold all options open.

Livewireshock
9th September 2007, 00:11
Stohl seems to have been over looked in alot of this discussion. Granted 2007 has not been the same great year as he had in 2006 in the 307, yet I don't think he is set to thrown in the towel.

So which car is going to be adorned with OMV signage next year?

White Sauron
9th September 2007, 07:27
Subaru and Citroen seams pretty much a done deal.

You sure? Maybe Duval back to the team, and Sordo goes to the "B" PH-Sport team alongside Gardemeister?

Tom206wrc
9th September 2007, 08:44
Stohl seems to have been over looked in alot of this discussion. Granted 2007 has not been the same great year as he had in 2006 in the 307, yet I don't think he is set to thrown in the towel.

So which car is going to be adorned with OMV signage next year?

Why not Stohl in IRC with a 207 S2000 ??? :p :

Addicted
9th September 2007, 13:02
Why not Stohl in IRC with a 207 S2000 ??? :p :

Why 207? Stohl is able to get even better! :p