PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds' Home Run Record

schmenke
8th August 2007, 17:03
Should his newly-acquired home-run record be officially acknowledged?

Perhaps a poll?

Drew
8th August 2007, 17:11
Baseball?

What kind of poll would you want?

Brown, Jon Brow
8th August 2007, 17:13
Baseball is just futuristic rounders :\

RaceFanStan
8th August 2007, 17:21
Even though baseball isn't motorsports related, the steroid usage makes it an interesting issue.
Steroid usage could someday become an issue in motorsports, would that be okay ?
The real issue here is "Is athletes using steroids to build their strength acceptable ?"

Speak-up, tell us what you think & vote in the poll.

(This poll will run for 30 days)

CarlMetro
8th August 2007, 17:29
If it is proved that he has been using steroids then obviously it should be disregarded, as with anyone else who is deemed to have cheated in sport through drugs, but until it has been proved I think his record must stand.

schmenke
8th August 2007, 17:32
The issue is particularly controversial in Bonds' case because the previous record (Hank Aaron, 1976) was achieved legitimately during a time when the use of steroids was largely unknown. Bonds’ new record may be seen as an affront to Aaron’s record.

Carl, Bonds has been accused of steroid use but has continuously refused to undergo tests.

CarlMetro
8th August 2007, 17:40
I'm well aware of what he's been accused of and the fact that he has refused to take tests in the past. However if the MLB feels strongly enough then they could make him take a test or ban him from playing until he does so. I think if they thought it was a real problem then action would have been taken long before now.

Ian McC
8th August 2007, 17:43
Barry Bonds? Is this the guy from the Cilit Bang adverts? :D

tinchote
8th August 2007, 18:04
To think that they were not using substances in the 70s, when no one was checking, is very näive.

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2007, 18:36
To not accept the record would be improper. This all comes down to Major League Baseball not paying any attention when they should have to the rampant use of steroids in the 90's. When Mark McGuire was using androsteindione no one said a word. Drugs were NOT illegal when Bonds hit most of these Homers. So when they were made illegal to the rules of baseball, Bonds never failed a drug test. So everyone should just hold their noses and live with it.

Do I like this? No, I think he is guilty as hell, but he followed the rules of baseball so the institution of baseball has to live with it. I think drug use is going to possibly kill some sports (cycling for starters)and it has soured me on many, but in this case, Bonds without the drugs was an amazing hitter and athlete, so who is to say that the steroids are the cause of the record falling?

Before anyone accuses me of really being naive, let me also point out tests have also concluded the newer balls in the last decade or two have had more "pop" then the one's in Hank Aaron's day. We wont even get into the fact that many of the pitchers could have also been using drugs. It is a murky road to go down to not acknowledge this record when one can call into question a lot of factors in any records in baseball broken in the last 3 decades. Heck, just add in the fact Bonds had 12 more games a season to hit home runs in than Aaron did.

Enough...let the jerk have his record, A-Rod will likely blow it into the weeds come 2012 or so.....

Wilderness
8th August 2007, 22:04
To think that they were not using substances in the 70s, when no one was checking, is very näive.
Maybe the East German women's baseball team was... Some athletes were taking steroids in other sports in the 70s, but that's very unlikely in baseball (or tennis, or golf, or sports where flexibility is a must). The thought at the time was that athletes would become "muscle bound" and lose much needed flexibilty.

race aficionado
9th August 2007, 00:05

The Babe - that's Mr. Ruth I'm alluding to, did use a substance, but it was more mind and big belly alterating.

He liked his booze and many of his home runs were hit whilst in severe hangovers . . . . :p :

It still amazes me to see that sweet, perfect swing from a man that looked everything but a fit athlete.

He is a legend.

:s mokin:

CCFanatic
9th August 2007, 00:33
I respect what he did as it is hard to just hit the ball, let alone hit 756 out of a 400 foot ball park. But I do not what he did to get there. He obviously used some kind of preformance enhancing substance. I think it would not have really lowered his homerun totals, as I think most baseball players juiced up to get over injuries faster. In that, Barry would have only hit 550-600 home runs. Look at felloe player Ken Griffey Jnr. He did not take any kind of drug and with an injury plagued career still has hit 550-600. I think Barry would be in that range as he is the same kind of player Griffey was.

Rollo
9th August 2007, 00:55
I should think that it is one of the greatest honours that an East London lad who took West Ham United to 2 FA Cups, replaced the legendary Bobby Moore as captain and then returned to manage the club after the departure of Harry Redknapp in the early '90s should be honoured as the highest run scorer in baseball.

Heck, I didn't even know he'd been to America. I wonder what our mate Oily has to say about this.

tinchote
9th August 2007, 02:43
Maybe the East German women's baseball team was... Some athletes were taking steroids in other sports in the 70s, but that's very unlikely in baseball (or tennis, or golf, or sports where flexibility is a must). The thought at the time was that athletes would become "muscle bound" and lose much needed flexibilty.

I don't agree with that. From the 70s there are lots of stories of drugs in football (erm, sorry, soccer :rolleyes: ) and athletics too. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't use them in baseball. They were surely not using steroids, but that doesn't mean that they were not using certain performance enhacing substances.

Storm
9th August 2007, 03:11
The real issue here is "Is athletes using steroids to build their strength acceptable ?"

No.
Baseball has many such issues in last few years I believe and same is the case with swimming/weight lifting and the real tour the farce.

What sport is where you have not heard of any performance enhancing drugs till now? umm....football and cricket have been pretty clean in that respect.

AndyRAC
9th August 2007, 12:00
No.
Baseball has many such issues in last few years I believe and same is the case with swimming/weight lifting and the real tour the farce.

What sport is where you have not heard of any performance enhancing drugs till now? umm....football and cricket have been pretty clean in that respect.

I can't/won't believe that both cricket and football are clean, with the amount of professionals in both sports, Nah, sorry. I don't think they're testing procedures are any were near that of cycling - which is the most tested sport I know of. People laugh and call it 'Tour De Farce', but they are trying to tackle the problem, that's why people get caught.
Last year the 'Operation Puerto' mentioned footballers, tennis players as well as cyclists, yet nothing has been done about them, Why not? Double standards methinks!
Just imagine the outcry if a footballer was found to have taken a performance enhancing drug,..... that's why none will ever be found. The only drugs footballers would take would be performance destroyers....

edv
9th August 2007, 15:05
The thing that strikes me as odd in this case is my contention that taking steroids likely has no effect on one's ability to see the ball and hit it squarely.

Steroids alter your muscular physique, but they cannot change your hand-eye coordination. And Barry Bonds could easily hit the ball out of the park back when he was 'spindly'.

Despite the black cloud, I say his achievement has some merit.

tinchote
9th August 2007, 16:43
I can't/won't believe that both cricket and football are clean, with the amount of professionals in both sports, Nah, sorry. I don't think they're testing procedures are any were near that of cycling - which is the most tested sport I know of. People laugh and call it 'Tour De Farce', but they are trying to tackle the problem, that's why people get caught.
Last year the 'Operation Puerto' mentioned footballers, tennis players as well as cyclists, yet nothing has been done about them, Why not? Double standards methinks!
Just imagine the outcry if a footballer was found to have taken a performance enhancing drug,..... that's why none will ever be found. The only drugs footballers would take would be performance destroyers....

Spot on :up:

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2007, 17:52
The question over which athletes like their drugs is a bit of a lark. Look no further than people on here saying Footballer/Soccer players haven't been using roids. You are naive if you think there isn't some that have tried it. I don't think Soccer players would benefit from steroids much, but they do help you recover from injury faster and do increase strength which cant hurt. Furthermore, there is blood doping, which increases endurance which would be BIG time help for a sport where you run 10 miles a game. Hockey players always have claimed such stuff isn't in their game, but I heard the same crap from Baseball 5 years ago when the US Congress threatened to mandate their own policy if Major League Baseball didn't start at least testing. Well we found out from THAT that 1 in 10 were using something, and THAT was after the tests were well announced and known to the players. Let that sink in.....they knew about the tests coming and STILL couldn't clear their systems of ANYTHING that would create a stir.

One it says Baseball players aren't the brightest lads going and two, it says not all of em were testing for cocaine or something performance negative either. There is a problem with drugs in ALL sports pretty much. Some drugs may not be roids, but they are taken for whatever reason, and they should be eliminated. No good can come of it believe me. So if you footy fans think your boys are clean, dream on. I think racing is about the lone sport that wouldn't gain much by drug taking, but I do think some sort of policy is in order.

Wilderness
9th August 2007, 20:35
I don't agree with that. From the 70s there are lots of stories of drugs in football (erm, sorry, soccer :rolleyes: ) and athletics too. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't use them in baseball. They were surely not using steroids, but that doesn't mean that they were not using certain performance enhacing substances.
Steroids have been around the Olympics for decades, and if it was present in baseball, it did not become pervasive until the 90s.

stevie_gerrard
9th August 2007, 23:53
Well there hasn't been any evidence to my knowledge that Bonds has used Steroids to cheat and break this record. Therefore, it should be allowed to stand until someone can testify against him and prove he is in the wrong.

What he has acheived is an extraordinary feat, he deserves some credit for his illustrious career.

jarrambide
9th August 2007, 23:58
Well there hasn't been any evidence to my knowledge that Bonds has used Steroids to cheat and break this record. Therefore, it should be allowed to stand until someone can testify against him and prove he is in the wrong.

What he has acheived is an extraordinary feat, he deserves some credit for his illustrious career.

Someone that can and is willing to testify, lets remember that there is someone that can testify against him but is not willing to do it, because of that he was sent to jail on contempt charges, he has been there for a long, long time, I hope Barry is sending him cigarettes, candy and magazines.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 00:32

Stevie, find a book that is on this particular subject called "Game of Shadows". It was written by a reporter in San Franscisco who covers the Giants, and basically he comes right out and makes the allegation and backs it up with evidence, not the least of which was BALCO's founder suppling Barry some clear subtance in the late 90's that was to help his muscle cramps. That "Clear" liquid was used by many sprinters under the BALCO inquiry out in California and was found to be a steroid that was topically adminstered. Bonds used the stuff, there is no way in hell any one in their right mind can prove it, it just is a task to find someone willing to testify.

That said, Barry has NOT sued the author of the book for slander or libel, so what does THAT tell you? An innocent man would, one with a lot of dirt to hid wouldn't.....so be naive and believe he is clean. The truth is that although he has never had a negative test, that doesn't not mitigate against the miles of circumstantial evidence.

jso1985
10th August 2007, 01:14
[quote="RaceFanStan"]

hell no! first it turns any sport into a competition of seeing who gets the best drugs... and second it produces a lot of harm to the athletes health.

LTalbot
10th August 2007, 01:34
As Major League Baseball is unwilling to enact and the Players Union seemingly unwilling to agree to a testing program it's all moot. Why is only Bonds being targeted? If we assume he did use steroids to enhance his performance we must also assume that many of the pitchers he faced also used steroids. So does that make the playing field level? Probably not, but unless an effort is made similar to cycling to eliminate it completely, I say accept the record and move on, after all, Barry does have more home runs than Hank. Also, who cares, it's only a game, not like it's something Really important like Auto Racing!

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 04:15
As Major League Baseball is unwilling to enact and the Players Union seemingly unwilling to agree to a testing program it's all moot. Why is only Bonds being targeted? If we assume he did use steroids to enhance his performance we must also assume that many of the pitchers he faced also used steroids. So does that make the playing field level? Probably not, but unless an effort is made similar to cycling to eliminate it completely, I say accept the record and move on, after all, Barry does have more home runs than Hank. Also, who cares, it's only a game, not like it's something Really important like Auto Racing!

Actually, they have a testing program, and some penalties, so there is progress. It isn't enough and the testing is pretty well adverstised, so you know the guys know how to get off the stuff if they know when the test is coming.

AS for the record standing, I said it HAS to. Doesn't mean I have to like the guy who hit it. For me, the footage of Aaron's ball hitting the stands in left field at the old Fulton County stadium in Atlanta and the bedlam that ensued is part of my childhood. Watching Bonds stand there with his arms upraised didn't give me that tingle some other great moments in the sport have...

And yes...racing is important, but even some games are worthy of discussion....

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 21:18

here is an Excerpt from Sports Illustrated on "Game of Shadows". Tell me how Innocent Bonds is now....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/03/06/growth0313/13.html#top

Galveston dunes
11th August 2007, 01:18
I wont give anyone my opinion of Mr. Bonds innocence ;however for his record I believe it should stand until he is convicted of using performance inhancing drugs to alter his ability over his peers. I also firmly believe there is enough rumor to apply an asterik in front of any records he has or will ever have.
Speculation took Rose out of the hall and baseball so why shouldn't speculation take out Mr. Bonds? thats my only question.

Mark in Oshawa
11th August 2007, 01:35
Galveston, you are right. The record HAS to stand, but that just means us fans have to ignore anyone's effort to make a hero out of this guy. He is a first class jerk from all accounts even without the steroids. That was enough for me.

555-04Q2
15th August 2007, 14:02
Drugs in sport dates back for many decades. It is only in the past 10 years or so that it has become a really big talking point as illegal performance drugs are getting better and better and harder and harder to detect than before. It will forever be a problem in athletics, cycling, rugby etc etc.

Let his record stand I say.

Hendersen
16th August 2007, 07:03

Maybe the whole admitting under oath that he used steroids himself is satisfactory??? Sherlock?

tstran17_88
30th August 2007, 03:28
Unfortunately steroids were not illegal in baseball when Bonds, McGuire and Sosa, among others were using. So the record is at 761, were Barry’s at right now. I think that huge arm brace he wears has helped his home run swing just as much as any enhancement drugs and MLB has limited the size of those things now...but Barry’s is grand fathered in and he can keep on using it.

I believe that a lot of players would have been using steroids in the 50's and 60's if they would have been available, namely because a lot of those players admitted to such since they were looking for any competitive advantage they could get even back then.

Personally I can’t stand Bonds because he is such a butt hole, not because of steroids or his breaking the home run record.