PDA

View Full Version : No more Mitsu WRC

DonJippo
8th August 2007, 15:44
Urmo Aava will be the last one to drive Mitsu World Rally Car in World Rally Championship and even his case it will happen only because equipments are on their way to NZ and he paid his drive already. So not even private Mitsu WRC entries anymore and those who want to see Mitsu back in WRC...you have a long wait as they won't make a return before 2012...

Tomi
8th August 2007, 15:47
So the rumour was true, that's sad, especially for guy's like Aava and Hänninen + other young upcoming rally drivers.

PuddleJumper
8th August 2007, 16:30
Do Mitsubishi have the right to stop an individual with a privately-owned Mitsubishi World Rally Car from entering a WRC event? I can understand them stopping the MMSP team, but surely they have no control over someone who owns their own car. Are there any privately-owned Mitsubishi WRCs?

Tomi
8th August 2007, 16:34
I dont think there is any private Mitsu WRC's, I think atleast RRE's Mitsus are rented.

PuddleJumper
8th August 2007, 16:35
Anyone know about the car Andrew Nesbitt drove in the Irish Tarmac Championship last year? Was/is it privately-owned or rented from Mitsubishi?

SubaruNorway
8th August 2007, 16:39
Pretty sure that was rented, Higgins also drove one at the same rally. Would be realy dumb by Mitsubishi not to sell the cars they have.

jonas_mcrae
8th August 2007, 16:50
again I dont get it, they are getting advertising for free! having those lancer out there, maybe they are not winning or not even being in top spots or anything, but hel1 those mitsus look great out there on the stages. and again why not to sell them is there a secret formula inside those cars they dont want anyone to know? haha doubt so

MJW
8th August 2007, 17:02
The cars are going to be crushed.

Tomi
8th August 2007, 17:03

I think you are right, that has always been their policy.

dot-niek
8th August 2007, 17:21
vd Heuvel from the Netherlands owns at least one Lancer WRC. The one he entered in the first part of the dutch championship but he crashed it at the 4th round. I think the car is currently rebuild.

MJW
8th August 2007, 17:41
I think you are right, that has always been their policy.

Apparently Tommi Makinen has one of the Group A cars that he won his 4 championships in, and this is the only example "outside Ralliart".

MadCat
8th August 2007, 17:58
It says in todays Motorsport News that someone at MMSP is behind a bid to take it over and keep it open. This would include running the current cars for customers and maintaining the latest group n evo's.

I do hope that Mitsubishi consider it, would be a shame to lose Mitsubishi from the WRC altogether.

Corny
8th August 2007, 18:42
Apparently Tommi Makinen has one of the Group A cars that he won his 4 championships in, and this is the only example "outside Ralliart".
There's a 2001-Mäkinen Lancer here in the Netherlands..

Tomi
8th August 2007, 18:46

Latvala has 1 too of Tommi's cars.

bf1_IRL
8th August 2007, 19:58
There is an '01 Evo WRC in Scotland too.
(Can't remember the name though, sorry..)

SubaruNorway
8th August 2007, 20:01
Henning Solberg bought the last one they made of the evo 6.5

Josti
8th August 2007, 21:12
vd Heuvel from the Netherlands owns at least one Lancer WRC. The one he entered in the first part of the dutch championship but he crashed it at the 4th round. I think the car is currently rebuild.

Yes, this is the step 2 version of 2002, formely driven by Mika Häkkinen in the Arctic. I doubt he will ever make a WRC entry with this car. Maybe he will come up with an ´05 WRC version some day.

Tomi
8th August 2007, 21:17
The one Latvala has of those there is only 2 left in the world, the other is in Juha Kankkunens rallycar museum.

Motorsportfun
8th August 2007, 21:34
It's absolutely incredible!!!

After from Japan stopped the programme with Al Qassimi early this year, now they stopped MMSP-Lancer WRC (so all the WRCars...) in the World Rally Championship!!

That "persons" enjoing to going out the drivers from their cars. Firstly Galli-Rovanpera-Panizzi and now Aava, who have an interesting programme...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Addicted
8th August 2007, 21:37
Didn`t Henning buy two or three evo 6.5 and some spares back then?

SubaruNorway
8th August 2007, 23:12
Not sure if all of them was buildt by ralliart

WRCfan
9th August 2007, 00:06
I hope these cars dont get lost, those Lancers are fantastic looking cars!!!
Will be taking loads of photos on this years rally NZ for sure then!!!!

AndyRAC
9th August 2007, 00:11
I wonder what Andrew Cowan makes of it all, and all those connected with MRE during the glory years. Never understood why they destroyed cars after a number of events, total waste. Really unbelievable, no more Mitsubishi, Subaru struggling, Toyota AWOL in F1. What has happened to the WRC with Japanese manufacturers? Personally just sums up the state of the current WRC.

GrazRS
9th August 2007, 00:14

There are many other ex work-cars "outside Ralliart" ;)

a friend of mine bought the EVO V that won in Argentina, and Australia in 1998 (plate R 3 MRE)

He is now rebuilding it to its original state :)

Lalo
9th August 2007, 00:20
That "persons" enjoing to going out the drivers from their cars. Firstly Galli-Rovanpera-Panizzi and now Aava, who have an interesting programme...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's exactly what I was thinking about!

Damn! I was hoping a Lancer comeback...

klm-607
9th August 2007, 03:33

That's crazy!! Why the hell would they do that?? Those cars are Icons of Rallying... even the less compettive ones were cool!! WTF??!!!
It just doesn't make any sense! What a stupid move, what a loss to the Rallying world, & the world of motorsports as a whole!

leopard
9th August 2007, 06:31
Yeah the three polished diamond was icon of rallying, what icon other than mitsu ralliart do you think, I guess peugeot and subaru deserve a mention.

GigiGalliNo1
9th August 2007, 06:35
Yeah the three polished diamond was icon of rallying, what icon other than mitsu ralliart do you think, I guess peugeot and subaru deserve a mention.

Well probably people would say Citroen cause of Loeb, but I must say I love and still love the EVo's :D :love:

pino
9th August 2007, 07:10
Dunno why but everytime I read the word MItsubishi my blood starts to boil... :angryfire :

leopard
9th August 2007, 07:47
Well probably people would say Citroen cause of Loeb, but I must say I love and still love the EVo's :D :love:

Which one is right, yesterday you said that you love Eva ;) :)

GigiGalliNo1
9th August 2007, 08:38
Which one is right, yesterday you said that you love Eva ;) :)

huh? lol?

leopard
9th August 2007, 08:40
huh? you wanted to say that you love both Eva and Evo? lol

jonkka
9th August 2007, 08:44
Toyota AWOL in F1

Brilliant choice of words! :D

jonkka
9th August 2007, 08:45

Lancia?

leopard
9th August 2007, 09:06
Lancia?
When did they take part WRC?

jonkka
9th August 2007, 09:12
When did they take part WRC?

:eek: Say what? :eek:

leopard
9th August 2007, 09:23
:eek: Say what? :eek:
I didn't see lancia as a team in the team list of WRC, any hint much appreciated :)

AndyRAC
9th August 2007, 09:45
I didn't see lancia as a team in the team list of WRC, any hint much appreciated :)

Are you serious?? You've never lived if you've never seen Lancia.
So no Lancia, Toyota, Mitsubishi; who's next? Subaru?

I don't think I'll wear my red Mitsubishi coat anymore, unbelievable decision. What's going on with the WRC???? :mad: :mad:

jonkka
9th August 2007, 09:51

Which manufacturer got most WRC wins to their credit? Anyone?

Josti
9th August 2007, 12:05
Which manufacturer got most WRC wins to their credit? Anyone?

Lancia! Lancia! Lancia! :p :

klm-607
10th August 2007, 01:07
Lancia! Lancia! Lancia! :p :

They were definately Group B icons! Mmm... 037...Delta S4... great stuff!

klm-607
10th August 2007, 01:09

AUDI of course!!! The ol' Group B days!!!

leopard
10th August 2007, 07:13
So no Lancia, Toyota, Mitsubishi; who's next? Subaru?

I don't think I'll wear my red Mitsubishi coat anymore, unbelievable decision. What's going on with the WRC???? :mad: :mad:
Velvia :p : :)

leopard
10th August 2007, 07:15
AUDI of course!!! The ol' Group B days!!!yeah AUDI from DTM category isn't it?

leopard
10th August 2007, 07:25
So no Lancia,...

So when? :)

jonkka
10th August 2007, 08:19
So when? :)

A total of 73 wins between 1974 and 1992, including ten in 1988 which was 77 percent of that season's rallies.

leopard
10th August 2007, 08:50
A total of 73 wins between 1974 and 1992, including ten in 1988 which was 77 percent of that season's rallies.
Thanks mate, I must check the archive

Do they have relationship with FIAT and used the brand or their own brand at that time?

Josti
10th August 2007, 10:01
yeah AUDI from DTM category isn't it?

Yeah, Audi does DTM, but way before they were into rallying. I asume you know something about the Quattro (though Lancia was totally oblivious to you so ;) ). Audi was the first team that came up with a 4wd rallycar in 1980 and started to participate from 1981 to 1987, including two works and drivers titles. You know anything about Group B?

Lancia was under the Abarth wing, but they were already in the Fiat Group back then.

jonkka
10th August 2007, 10:01
Thanks mate, I must check the archive

Do they have relationship with FIAT and used the brand or their own brand at that time?

Lancia is owned by FIAT, has been since 1969. They competed under Lancia brand and at times directly against Fiat. Which is partly why Stratos was shelved.

Rally history isn't exactly your cup of tea, is it?

jonkka
10th August 2007, 10:04
Lancia was under the Abarth wing, but they were already in the Fiat Group back then.

In fact, Abarth prepared both Lancia and Fiat rally cars - side by side in the same factory.

Josti
10th August 2007, 10:08
In fact, Abarth prepared both Lancia and Fiat rally cars - side by side in the same factory.

That's right, pretty obvious when Fiat has cars like the 124 and 131 Abarth ;)

Leopardsleeping, I recommend you to do some research in rallying history, there's a whole world ahead of you :p :

AndyRAC
10th August 2007, 10:26

Leopardsleeping, I recommend you to do some research in rallying history, there's a whole world ahead of you :p :

And you'll realise what a great sport Rallying WAS. In fact you might not even recognise it, what a different sport it was, fabulous cars, Lancia Stratos - with V6 Ferrari engine unbelievable. Wouldn't get that now.
Audi with the revolutionary 4WD system, which wasn't allowed until 1980 I think. Would agree, do plenyof research, you'll enjoy it.

leopard
10th August 2007, 10:32
I found post# 49 contradictory #50, please check again!

leopard
10th August 2007, 10:47

Well got it that the bone of contention was FIAT

quite worthwhile although today's race is more essential than melodiously talking about nostalgia :)

WelshLegend
10th August 2007, 11:23
Im slightly confused now. The point of this thread is to talk about Mitsubishi no longer competing in the WRC, not to discuss about the old Group B era.
Now thats of my chest, could i just ask what is actually happening? Im slightly confused. Im led to believe that there shall be no more Lancer Evo's competing on the WRC stage due to the cars homologation running out. Am i correct? If im wrong could someone please explain to me what is happenning.

Thanks
WelshLegend

PuddleJumper
10th August 2007, 13:20
It's not the homologation that is running out, it's Mitsubishi no longer making their World Rally Cars available for use on WRC events.

WelshLegend
10th August 2007, 13:37
It's not the homologation that is running out, it's Mitsubishi no longer making their World Rally Cars available for use on WRC events.

What is the point of not making your cars available. You get free advertising and the chance to show that your 2 year old car is still competitive.
Stupid decision by Mitsubishi i think!!!!

gerrycrossey
10th August 2007, 14:07
Maybe ive picked up the wrong end of the stick guys but Lancer WRC's going to the crusher? Surely Mitsubishi wouldnt be too happy with ADR motorsport who build the "works" Gr N cars for the BRC, selling 5 ex works Lancer WRC step 2's? check out the link below:

http://www.adrmotorsport.com/am/publish/article_45.shtml

AndyRAC
10th August 2007, 14:15
What is the point of not making your cars available. You get free advertising and the chance to show that your 2 year old car is still competitive.
Stupid decision by Mitsubishi i think!!!!

They've been making stupid decisions for a number of years now. Why is anybody surprised?

HJD
11th August 2007, 10:45
Maybe ive picked up the wrong end of the stick guys but Lancer WRC's going to the crusher? Surely Mitsubishi wouldnt be too happy with ADR motorsport who build the "works" Gr N cars for the BRC, selling 5 ex works Lancer WRC step 2's? check out the link below:

http://www.adrmotorsport.com/am/publish/article_45.shtml

I thought that Jasper vd Heuvel has one of those cars. they bought 3 cars, but the other two cars never came to Holland due to problems. I don't know what problems. Before this season one of them would be driven by Henk Vossen, but the car stayed at GB.

This is the car of vd Heuvel:
http://hjracepictures.serv-it.net/Racepics/Gallery/2007/Almere_Rally_2007/slides/LAS_2007_099.jpg

GigiGalliNo1
11th August 2007, 11:26
This is the car of vd Heuvel:
http://hjracepictures.serv-it.net/Racepics/Gallery/2007/Almere_Rally_2007/slides/LAS_2007_099.jpg

If I could.... I would just love to buy a Step 2 or even the first one of that Lancer WRC,,, They're beautiful!

Bristecom
17th August 2007, 06:13
Urmo Aava will be the last one to drive Mitsu World Rally Car in World Rally Championship and even his case it will happen only because equipments are on their way to NZ and he paid his drive already. So not even private Mitsu WRC entries anymore and those who want to see Mitsu back in WRC...you have a long wait as they won't make a return before 2012...
Do you have an official statement or article regarding this? As far as I knew, Mitsubishi was to return to the WRC in 2008 as a manufacturer with the Lancer Evolution X as a base. I would be very upset if this were true. I have been patiently waiting for their return since 2005. The whole reason I got into rallying was because of Mitsubishi. So this would just kill me. ;(

jonkka
17th August 2007, 07:02
As far as I knew, Mitsubishi was to return to the WRC in 2008 as a manufacturer with the Lancer Evolution X as a base.(

The intention in 2005 might have been to return in 2008 but financial realities, which in 2005 were only plans, may have had impact on that. Having said that, I wondered on four-car strong Mitsubishi WRC field on Rally Finland and even if those all were rented cars, Mitsubishi really had a flag flying there.

Mitsubishi's Q2/2007:
http://www6.autonet.ca/News/story.cfm?story=/News/2007/07/30/4379317-ap.html

DonJippo
17th August 2007, 07:47
Do you have an official statement or article regarding this?

Official statement from Mitsu? No I don't have, just what I have seen on papers over here. Latest news are that Mitsu will also stop their rallyraid program after next Paris-Dakar.

Lalo
18th August 2007, 13:16
Latest news are that Mitsu will also stop their rallyraid program after next Paris-Dakar.

They're gonna retire from the Dakar? I can't believe it. Imagine Ferrari retired from the F1 while Schumacher was winning every race? It's the same thing.
I can't believe it...

Bristecom
20th August 2007, 01:55
Ya, we know Mitsubishi hasn't been in the best financial situation but they are getting better. And completely dropping out of the WRC and Dakar Rally would certainly backfire. :grenade: Especially in Dakar where they've won for 7 years in a row and 12 total - beating brands like Mercedes and BMW. So I'm with Lalo, I can't believe it. It would do nothing but hurt them. So until I see an official statement, I can only consider it to be a rumor.

leopard
20th August 2007, 08:28
Quite an irony the winning team should have that chronic financial situation and have to stop from championship with 7 wins in a row.

They might retire not for financial crisis but for something they wouldn't tell everyone the reason as the first rule for success. :)

leopard
20th August 2007, 10:48
Yeah, Audi does DTM, but way before they were into rallying. I asume you know something about the Quattro (though Lancia was totally oblivious to you so ;) ). Audi was the first team that came up with a 4wd rallycar in 1980 and started to participate from 1981 to 1987, including two works and drivers titles. You know anything about Group B?

Have a nice day :s mokin: :)

L5->R5/CR
20th August 2007, 15:00
Quite an irony the winning team should have that chronic financial situation and have to stop from championship with 7 wins in a row.

They might retire not for financial crisis but for something they wouldn't tell everyone the reason as the first rule for success. :)

VW is going to be gunning for them really really hard again in 2008.

VAG wants VW to win the Dakar, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Race Touareg 2.1 at the Baja 1,000 in 2007 either...

Its more likely Mitsubishi as a brand can't capitalize on its motorsports successes in the show room and with being in such a dire financial situation is the racing isn't paying off big time put the money some place else (motorsport ties up a lot more resources than just the cash it takes to finance it, although even El Cheapo Goshn agrees when you're winning its good for business...)

Roy
20th August 2007, 15:08
They're gonna retire from the Dakar? I can't believe it. Imagine Ferrari retired from the F1 while Schumacher was winning every race? It's the same thing.
I can't believe it...

Mitsubishi's financial sitiuation is not very good. Very much succes is not the same as good selling cars.

I hope this forum wil not filled with thread about mitsu back at WRC in 20?? like many threads about Hyundai. You can skip them either.

MikeD
20th August 2007, 19:29
Is it confirmed by Urmo Aava that he won't drive Rally GB in the Mitsu as planned?

Jaanus
20th August 2007, 19:44
Is it confirmed by Urmo Aava that he won't drive Rally GB in the Mitsu as planned?

As of today this is not confirmed.
Aava will drive in NZ with Mitsu and in Catalunya and Corsica in the Swift.
There is nothing sure after that, only that he might enter both Ireland and Wales Rally GB.

MikeD
20th August 2007, 19:56
There is nothing sure after that, only that he might enter both Ireland and Wales Rally GB.

So if they rumours are true that NZ will be the last we see of the Mitsu WRC car, then a Focus WRC most be the most realistic chance for Ireland and/or GB, don't you think?

GigiGalliNo1
21st August 2007, 13:06

Ok just to confirm it, as it might not make sense.

"Aava will drive in NZ with Mitsu and in Catalunya --- and Corsica in the Swift."

or

"Aava will drive in NZ with Mitsu, and in Catalunya and Corsica in the Swift."

???

Thanks.

PuddleJumper
21st August 2007, 13:16
The latter.

If it was the former it would've been written "Aava will drive in NZ and Catalunya in the Mitsu, and Corsica in the Swift".

Glee
21st August 2007, 13:32
Ford was also in a bad financial situation. They did a full WRC commitment and have now great success.
Their last figures for Ford Europe shoved profit…

Daniel
21st August 2007, 14:35
Ford was also in a bad financial situation. They did a full WRC commitment and have now great success.
Not necessarily anything to with the WRC effort at all. I think it's more a turnaround in their sales and profits in the US.

L5->R5/CR
21st August 2007, 16:00

Ford Europe were also the ones making the big push for Ford to be in the WRC.

Ford Europe has done better than the US operations over the last couple of years as well. And its not like Malcom still has to get lots of outside of Ford money to run the program (The BP Ultimate Abu Dhabi Ford World Rally Team?)

Bristecom
4th September 2007, 09:09
In a quick interview with Urmo Aava, he stated that he is still not sure if he will be in a Mitsubishi or not but he hopes he will be. So we may see more of the Mitsubishi WRC05 after all. :)