PDA

View Full Version : Simmons chance at a new ride in IRL?

NickFalzone
8th August 2007, 04:50
I wouldn't call the guy a backmarker. He ran solidly in the middle of the pack and occasionally raced up with the leaders. I do not think the RHR will be a significant improvement outside of a couple spots on the road courses. Anyone think Simmons will find another ride in the series? Or is he out to sports carts or who knows what? I was thinking maybe D&R by Chicagoland or next season if Fisher doesn't pick things up. Or perhaps on Vision (he was consistently better than most of the vision team and about on par with Scheckter).

jimbo111
8th August 2007, 06:59
I wouldn't call the guy a backmarker. He ran solidly in the middle of the pack and occasionally raced up with the leaders. I do not think the RHR will be a significant improvement outside of a couple spots on the road courses. Anyone think Simmons will find another ride in the series? Or is he out to sports carts or who knows what? I was thinking maybe D&R by Chicagoland or next season if Fisher doesn't pick things up. Or perhaps on Vision (he was consistently better than most of the vision team and about on par with Scheckter).

I don't want to kick the guy while he's down. but, there's no getting around it, he crashed more than he finished. Some were not his fault. He just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. But, each crash costs money. Gosh, he crashed three times in the month of May at Indy.

-=-

Komahawk
8th August 2007, 07:31
If he can find a sponsor he'll be back.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 05:14
I don't think for a second this guy deserves another shot. Not that he is a bad guy, but he had his shot, and he tore up a lot of race cars......I don't think there is a groundswell of Jeff Simmonds fans running around writing letters furiously demanding he get a ride....

Komahawk
10th August 2007, 09:46
In a Matsuura-statement Simmons didn't come over too good. Simmons was responsible for Kosuke's DNFs at Miami and St Pete, but he never even bothered to talk to him let alone apologise.
And this Nashville-incident was the icing on the cake, to Rahal anyway.

RGM Fan
19th August 2007, 05:41
If he can find a sponsor he'll be back.

Hell, if I could find a sponsor I could race and I have haven't raced on anything with an engine since High School.

Mark in Oshawa
21st August 2007, 22:22
In a Matsuura-statement Simmons didn't come over too good. Simmons was responsible for Kosuke's DNFs at Miami and St Pete, but he never even bothered to talk to him let alone apologise.
And this Nashville-incident was the icing on the cake, to Rahal anyway.

Lets face it. IF Bobby Rahal doesn't want to work with you, then you will not get a lot of respect in the garages. It is one thing to be fired by the demanding Roger Penske or mercurial AJ Foyt. Both go through drivers for different reasons, but you can find your career afterwards. But when a nice guy like Bobby Rahal plucks you from obscurity, puts you in a race car, and then you tear up a lot of equipment without remorse; you bet no one else wants to put themselves out either. Bobby is one of the most respected people in the sport, and his opinion speaks loudly, even if Bobby says little.