PDA

View Full Version : The racer69 TRD3 2007 DTM Championship - Round 7 Spa Francorchamps

johnny shell
7th August 2007, 13:54
The fastest touring cars on TRD3.

On one of the fastest and longest tracks in the game.

In the longest race of the season.

It's time for the 2007 DTM trip to Spa Francorchamps!

http://www.statsf1.com/photos/circuits/spa.jpg

Can anyone stop Piotr Borkowski? John Brown maybe? Peter Vuko? Can Real_Illusions make it back onto the podium this year? Will newcomer Penske_ALMS get closer to matching his qualifying pace in the race this round and relegate someone else to last placethis round? Can someone other than JB, Vuko, or one of the Poles score a point in qualifying?

Race Details

15 Laps
Hard Difficulty
Simulation mode
No cheats like Turbo etc.... to be used
Driving Standards & Corner Cutting to be turned off, but the usual forum rules of 'two wheels on track at all times' (unless you spin off or whatever) must be adhered to.

PM your qualifying time, race time & fastest lap to me by noon Friday August 17th.

New entries welcome at all times :)

Check out real_illusions website http://www.trd3racing.surrealillusions.co.uk/dtm.php for last year's race results, fastest laps etc....

Penske_ALMS
9th August 2007, 14:27
Pheww.. That was a tough race. Getting near 2:00 min laps near the end. Blew a tire on the last lap, going through the chicane before the finish line.

tannat
9th August 2007, 17:42
Pheww.. That was a tough race. Getting near 2:00 min laps near the end. Blew a tire on the last lap, going through the chicane before the finish line.

Yes, tires will definitely be well worn after 15 laps, even on the harder compounds.

Circuit far to fast to consider a pit stop

johnny shell
9th August 2007, 18:38
I was wondering how tires would be after 15 laps

staying off the kerbs helps a lot with tire wear. a while back someone (JB maybe?) did some tests that proved that.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th August 2007, 19:00
:up:

:cheese:

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 18:50
Did a few practice laps with my Nurbergring set-up and slightly altered gearing. I got a low 1:47 but reckon I will need at least another second before I beat the Pole to pole ;)

johnny shell
10th August 2007, 20:05
Brown says he and Piotr only drivers with shot at Spa pole.

Somewhere between Lancaster & Preston - Brit driver Jon Brown said today that the only two drivers with a shot at the pole at the upcoming DTM race in Spa are himself and Polish Driver Piotr Borkowski.

After becoming the darling of the touring car world with wins in three out of the last four touring car races, Jon thinks he has already surpassed such touring car greats as the Vukos from Austrlia, Adam Sloma from Poland, and nomadic driver Bob Zee. (No one knows where Bob Zee is from, or when the next time he'll be able to hitch a ride to a circuit to compete again.)

Jon has also discounted the chances of his fellow Brits and of the Americans, but he is probably justified in making those assumptions, based on recent results.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 20:42
Jeez have you heard the Belgian media. :laugh:

All I was saying is that Piotr is the pace setter in this series ;)

In the mean time I've managed to get well into the 1:45's ;) Which is nearly 6 seconds faster than I managed last year.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 21:34
I love this place. It's like a small Nordschleife.

johnny shell
10th August 2007, 21:44
I'm completely unfamiliar with the long Nordschleife part of Nurberbring.... I can only imagine what greatness it held.

ditto for the oginal 9+ miles Spa circuit that connected three Belgain towns.....

Peter Vuko
10th August 2007, 23:37
We will have to put J.B in his place!!! Just took the Merc out for its first run at Spa - posted a 1m.46s with plenty of room for improvement. I think we will need to be in the 44's to be close to pole & the "Pole." I must admit this is a great track. Speaking of Nordschliefe - I just competed there on another forum that runs a series using GT4( forum is called Ten Tenths-anyone interested check it out.) I managed to win the event. We use the WRC Rally cars - great fun!!

Brown, Jon Brow
11th August 2007, 11:20
I think that the best times on the Hall of Fame are high 1:44's. I think it's possible if I do the perfect lap. I found that this track requires low downforce due to the very long straights.

real_illusions
11th August 2007, 22:00
Speaking of Nordschliefe - I just competed there on another forum that runs a series using GT4( forum is called Ten Tenths-anyone interested check it out.) I managed to win the event. We use the WRC Rally cars - great fun!!

thought it was you ;)

johnny shell
14th August 2007, 18:43
time so far from PiotrB and Penske ALMS :up:

tannat
14th August 2007, 19:15
Just completed TRD3 F3

Spa is next on the agenda....

Brown, Jon Brow
14th August 2007, 21:36
Don't think that I can get into the 1:44's but I bet Piotr got among them easily :s , I will attempt the race tomorrow.

Peter Vuko
15th August 2007, 11:39
This was a tough race - plenty of concentration needed on this track to drive at a maniac pace!! Very happy with my Qualifying time - could get nowhere near it in the race! I used 100% hard tyres & got through without a stop. The last 5 laps were exciting with the tyres going off & lapping traffic but I drove well in this race. I used quite a different set up in the race compared to my qualifying set up - more downforce to make the car more stable for a long drive. Looking forward to the results!

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 11:43
! Very happy with my Qualifying time

That means he got into the 1:44's :p

:uhoh:

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 13:20
Johnny Shell makes shock move to Opel!

Shortly after being seen in a terse, physical discussion with team bosses, Johnny Shell was seen packing his bags in the Mercedes camp and moving them to Opel Team OPC.

It is widely known that Mercedes' relationship with the field-filler has been on shakey ground lately. Johnny, who's performance has never matched his ego, unexpectedly skipped the last round of the tour then only did a few laps here at Spa before stopping the car on the ciircuit, handing the keys to some very excited fans, and walking back to the pits through the forrest.

After sampling some of the other cars in the garage, Johnny settled on Manuel Reuter's Opel. The car is sponsored by Valvoline, which is headquartered in Johnny home state of Kentucky.

Manuel was given a bottle of tequila and a box of roofing nails and sent to look for work elsewhere.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 13:47
I heard that Johnny was found stealing printer cartridges from the Mercedes offices ;)

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 13:56
Have you heard that guy? :confused:

:rolleyes:

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 14:00
and stealing 'post-it-notes'

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 14:03
I was REFILLING the cartridges to save the team some money!!!!

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 14:14
I was REFILLING the cartridges to save the team some money!!!!

It's ok Johnny. I believe you. :)

tannat
15th August 2007, 22:18
Just did a little test run...

Tires at 100% hardness were a nice, pumpkin orange at the completion of the race, but my final lap was only a second off my fastest lap.

johnny shell
16th August 2007, 19:11
yeah, once the tires get past yellow and start to turn orange you're in T R O U B L E.

I could drive them yellow just fine. but once they got to orange they just wouldn't stick to the road anymore!

and what you all have been reading in the papers is true - I dumped M-B for Opel. I was just out there testing on the best track in the world and I just wasn't feeling it.

the relationship had died.

yeah, maybe with some drastic set-up changes we could have made it work.... or maybe I could have learned to change my driving style enough to be happy.

but mentally, I was already gone. the spark was lost.

so I tried an audi and I liked it! but at high rpm's it sounded like it was cutting out. so, I tried opel and we instantly fell in love.

now, I'm able to power through the turns the way I love to. and when the road gets bumpy, the opel stays on line.

that twitchyness is gone!

my opel may or may not be as fast as the M-B, but I love her.

tannat
16th August 2007, 22:21
=
and what you all have been reading in the papers is true - I dumped M-B for Opel.

With your help Opel shold have no problems snatching 2nd in the manufacturers championship, JS :up:

johnny shell
17th August 2007, 13:33
times received from r_i! :up:

still expecting times from JB and tannat

anyone else?

Brown, Jon Brow
17th August 2007, 14:49

anyone else?

I may need a mini extension as I am too drunk to do my race :beer:

johnny shell
17th August 2007, 15:07
I've raced drunk many times!

try smoking to calm you. that might help. there's some long straights at SPA too, so get an ash tray and head out!

and are you even 21 anyway?????

johnny shell
17th August 2007, 15:15
if you need to wait until you sober up though, go ahead I guess :rolleyes:

:D

tannat
17th August 2007, 15:52

anyone else?

About to submit right now.. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
17th August 2007, 16:13
I've raced drunk many times!

try smoking to calm you. that might help. there's some long straights at SPA too, so get an ash tray and head out!

and are you even 21 anyway?????

In the land of the free you can drink at 18 :laugh:

If I don't submit times tonight they will be done a Saturday.

CCFanatic
19th August 2007, 21:34
Johnny Shell makes shock move to Opel!

Shortly after being seen in a terse, physical discussion with team bosses, Johnny Shell was seen packing his bags in the Mercedes camp and moving them to Opel Team OPC.

It is widely known that Mercedes' relationship with the field-filler has been on shakey ground lately. Johnny, who's performance has never matched his ego, unexpectedly skipped the last round of the tour then only did a few laps here at Spa before stopping the car on the ciircuit, handing the keys to some very excited fans, and walking back to the pits through the forrest.

After sampling some of the other cars in the garage, Johnny settled on Manuel Reuter's Opel. The car is sponsored by Valvoline, which is headquartered in Johnny home state of Kentucky.

Manuel was given a bottle of tequila and a box of roofing nails and sent to look for work elsewhere.

I'll take that seat at Mercedes if needed?

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 13:24
the ride is your's CCfan.

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 14:44
I know you're eager for the results so I'm not going to waste much time formatting them real pretty, I'm just going to put them out there:

Qualifying

1. Piotrb 01:44.22
2. JB 01:45.39
3. vuko 01:45.58
4. j shell 01:48.61
5. real ill 01:49.47
6. tannat 01:50.22
7. pensk 01:51.48

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 14:46
Fastest Laps

1. JB 01:47.54
2. Piotrb 01:47.56
3. vuko 01:48.13
4. real ill 01:49.17
5. j shell 01:50.57
6. tannat 01:51.25
7. pensk 01:52.37

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 14:57
but neither one of those is how they finished.

At the checkered flag, Piort B had a six second lead over a tight pack of three cars that were battling for 2nd place.

that group of cars was, in order, JB, Vuko, and the resurgent Real Illusions.

almost 30 seconds behind those three was Johnny Shell, followed closely by Tannat... with Penske_ALMS finishing over a lap down - but again showing a very respectable single-lap pace in both qualifying and the race.

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 15:09
Spa Final Results

1. Piotrb 27:23.15
2. JB 27:29.13
3. vuko 27:31.20
4. real ill 27:34.52
5. j shell 27:59.79
6. tannat 28:09.79
7. pensk 29:46.74

points update will follow, but the top four will remain unchanged as the order they finished is the same order they're in for the season championship.

There are some changes lower in the standing though. Johnny Shell has caught tannat, and they're now tied for 7th place.

Up next is tight city street circuit Norisring, set to be a great party for sure! just ask our own Real Illusions.

And because of the track's short length, this race will more laps than any other race this year!

New entries alwasy welcome! :)

Brown, Jon Brow
20th August 2007, 15:16
Well done PoitrB. The gap to the top is far to big now.

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 15:18
yeah, but you got a good chance at holding on to 2nd! that's no so bad :D

Brown, Jon Brow
20th August 2007, 15:21
Not many people beat Vuko and still don't win the title.

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 15:31
news flash

We have a late entry to the race. Adam Sloma actually got his times in on time and I just missed them, as I wasn't expecting them.

Updated results will be posted shortly.

I appologize for the error; it is my fault not Adam's

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 15:42
corrected results

qualifying
1.Piotrb 01:44.22
2.JB 01:45.39
3.vuko 01:45.58
4.Sloma 01:45.75
5.j shell 01:48.61
6.real ill 01:49.47
7.tannat 01:50.22
8.penske 01:51.48

fastest laps
1.JB 01:47.54
2.Piotrb 01:47.56
3.vuko 01:48.13
4.real ill 01:49.17
5.Sloma 01:49.26
6.j shell 01:50.57
7.tannat 01:51.25
8.penske 01:52.37

race final results
1.Piotrb 27:23.15
2.JB 27:29.13
3.vuko 27:31.20
4.real ill 27:34.52
5.Sloma 27:49.36
6.j shell 27:59.79
7.tannat 28:09.79
8.penske 29:46.74

CCFanatic
20th August 2007, 17:51
Breaking News

F3 standout, CCFanatic, has decided to tackle the super competitive DTM Championship. He will take the Team AMG seat abandoned by Johnny Shell, who earlier replaced Jean Alesi. Having no racing experience in DTM, he seems to have a giant learning curve. But if his F3 results have shown, he is a possible podium contender right out of the box, so look out.

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 18:31
we look very forward to having another american in the series. maybe you can be the first american to actually be competitive & finish on the podium! :up:

the rest of us are having a lot of fun but aren't exactly a threat for the podium on a, shall we say, regular basis :rolleyes:

tannat
20th August 2007, 18:44
Pleased with 7th :up:

Looking forward to Norisring. Would be nice to nettle J Shell and R_illusions if possible.. :D

CCFanatic
20th August 2007, 19:49
I ran the race yesterday, to see how fast I would be and I finished Spa-Francorchamps with a very competitive, 27: 32.98, which would have put me ahead of real illusion and in fourth.

Penske_ALMS
20th August 2007, 20:38
Well at least 8th is finishing in the points right? ;) Glad to see another American here at Opel. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
20th August 2007, 20:45
When will the championship table be out?

:andrea:

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 21:36
Drivers Championship (After Round 7)

1. Piotr Borkowski -> 61 pts
2. Jon Brown -> 52
3. Peter Vuko -> 47
4. real_illusions -> 34
5. BobZee -> 17
6. Homer -> 14
7. Tannat -> 12
~ Johnny Shell -> 12
9. racer69 -> 8
10.Penske_ALMS -> 4
11.Steven Vuko -> 2
~ Harvick#1 -> 2
13.jso1985 -> 1

Manufacturers Championship (After Round 7)

1. Mercedes Benz -> 68pts
2. Audi -> 26
3. Opel -> 14

DTM Qualifying Kings (After 8 sessions)

1. Piotr Borkowski -> 21 pts
2. Jon Brown -> 13
3. Peter Vuko -> 10
4. Adam Sloma -> 4

CCFanatic
20th August 2007, 21:45
When qualifying for DTM do we post the Super-Pole time's too or just the first round of qualifying.

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 22:03
Well at least 8th is finishing in the points right? ;) Glad to see another American here at Opel. :D

yes sir, in the points!

and I'm glad to be at Opel. I'm expect a long and fulfilling relationship :D

johnny shell
20th August 2007, 22:17
When qualifying for DTM do we post the Super-Pole time's too or just the first round of qualifying.

I believe the norm is for the first round only, as not everyone makes it to the super-pole.

however, some peeps have been known to submit the faster of their two times :D

CCFanatic
20th August 2007, 22:47
yes sir, in the points!

and I'm glad to be at Opel. I'm expect a long and fulfilling relationship :D

But Merceds pays better. And we get the chicks. And you get the Lewis Hamilton treatment. In less then 24 hours since the announcement, I have recieved a new Mercedes SLR, a plush suite at the Monaco Bay Hotel. And a brand-new Lear Jet.

Johnny, you are missing out. What is Opel giving you? Heck, in real life, Opel is not even in DTM anymore.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th August 2007, 23:00
But Merceds pays better. And we get the chicks. And you get the Lewis Hamilton treatment. In less then 24 hours since the announcement, I have recieved a new Mercedes SLR, a plush suite at the Monaco Bay Hotel. And a brand-new Lear Jet.

Johnny, you are missing out. What is Opel giving you? Heck, in real life, Opel is not even in DTM anymore.

Yeah! The Opel drivers get these company cars
http://www.trollhattansaab.net/images/opel%20astra%20opc.jpg

While the Mercedes drivers get these :p
http://www.bigglook.com/biggauto/wallpaper/image/mercedes_slr.jpg

CCFanatic
20th August 2007, 23:03
That is what I am talking about. Johnny, you will regret your move, once I score a podium. Norisring is not a strong track of mine, so the race after that is where I'll make my mark, and put you in shame.

tannat
20th August 2007, 23:13

PLEASE don't talk Johnny out of driving for Opel.
I believe aside from myself and Johnny the rest of the Spa field were aboard Mercedes..

CCFanatic
20th August 2007, 23:23
I believe aside from myself and Johnny the rest of the Spa field were aboard Mercedes..

That is because Mercedes have the best cars. The Vodafone car is the best looking car in the whole TRD 3 game, IMO.

The only reason CCFanatic took the Mercedes job was because of contract talks with Audi and there open Red Bull seat soured, because of the cost of the contract. CCFanatic was demanding 15 million USD's a year, where Audi was only offering 9 million USD. Red Bull was also in the talks and wanted CCFanatic to move to Nascar after only one DTM season, which was not the direction he was headed.

Opel, please. Unless he is taking Laurent Ailleo's Playboy seat, it is not worth taking.

Penske_ALMS
21st August 2007, 02:19

<----- Opel driver aswell. :D

Peter Vuko
21st August 2007, 09:47
Well done Piotr & J.B again!!! Looks like third spot is my destiny in this series! Good to see real_illusions doing so well. CC Fanastic looks to be the "goods" as well. CC, you should have a go at the V8 series we run on the forum. Well its back to Hockenheim to run the V8's for me!

PiotrB
21st August 2007, 10:40
Thanks guys ! To be honest I'm suprised how fast I were. I really wanted to win on Spa because this is my favourite circuit.

I have a digital camera so now I can record my driving. I saved a replay of this race but on PS2 game recording only first 8-10 laps of the race but you can see on the top of the screen how many laps I driven.

It's also good that Adam can finally race in this champinship.

Next round will be hard for me bacause Norisring is my worst track in TRD3. I never find good setup here so I don't expecting to be competitive.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st August 2007, 12:23
Thanks guys ! To be honest I'm suprised how fast I were. I really wanted to win on Spa because this is my favourite circuit.

I have a digital camera so now I can record my driving. I saved a replay of this race but on PS2 game recording only first 8-10 laps of the race but you can see on the top of the screen how many laps I driven.

Next round will be hard for me bacause Norisring is my worst track in TRD3. I never find good setup here so I don't expecting to be competitive.

Would love to see your lap :up:

I won last years Norisring race so I can't wait for it :D

tannat
21st August 2007, 14:58
That is because Mercedes have the best cars. The Vodafone car is the best looking car in the whole TRD 3 game, IMO.

Opel once had a Jaegermeister liveried car in flame orange that looked incredibly cool...

CCFanatic
21st August 2007, 20:03
Well done Piotr & J.B again!!! Looks like third spot is my destiny in this series! Good to see real_illusions doing so well. CC Fanastic looks to be the "goods" as well. CC, you should have a go at the V8 series we run on the forum. Well its back to Hockenheim to run the V8's for me!

V8's are not for me. Great cars to watch race, but I am not very fast in them. Well, at the street circuits, I am fairly fast, but not enough to compete.

Adam Sloma
21st August 2007, 21:26

Yeah, but my stupid automatic gearbox don't use 1st gear in DTM, that's why I'm so slow :mad:

CCFanatic
23rd August 2007, 22:35
I say that 30 laps will be a decent amount of laps will be good for DTM.

PiotrB
25th August 2007, 13:17
Video of my fastest lap in race (1:47.56):

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=U6e9iQPfXlE

Will L
25th August 2007, 17:02
Wow nice one Piotr, as ever clean and fast driving nice one, I don't think I'll ever be as fast lol ;)

God I hate Spa circuit LOL

johnny shell
25th August 2007, 20:02
absolutely beautiful

Adam Sloma
25th August 2007, 23:08

You can compare the difference between automatic and manual gearbox. Especially on Rivage.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=fDudVHdBQhQ

Brown, Jon Brow
27th August 2007, 18:12

I think that you are doing La Source hairpin faster than me and have a better line through the Bus Stop chicane than me. But apart from that it was similar to my lap except for changing gear at different places (I reckon you could use lower ratios ;) ) and I don't use the rumble strips as much.

PiotrB
27th August 2007, 21:57
I think that you are doing La Source hairpin faster than me and have a better line through the Bus Stop chicane than me. But apart from that it was similar to my lap except for changing gear at different places (I reckon you could use lower ratios ;) ) and I don't use the rumble strips as much.
I love to race on Spa. Like I said this is my favourite circuit in the world and I think that I always doing well on it. My favourite corners on Spa are: Les Combs, Pouhon, Fagnes and Bus Stop. I'm really wanted to show you guys my best lap in time trial (1:44.22) but when I did that lap I haven't got my digital camera. I try do beat that lap and record my telemetry.

As for gears I use that setup on Spa:

1 - 0.28
2 - 0.39
3 - 0.50
4 - 0.61
5 - 0.72
6 - 0.84