PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 24 hours at Daytona .

rlenis
21st December 2006, 17:23
Hello everyone.
This is my first time posting in this category. I am a regular poster in F1.
I would like to get some feedback about Rolex 24 hrs race at Daytona from those who have any knowledge from this series. I am contemplating attending the event for the first time and would like to know more about it..
thanks in advance..

grandam
21st December 2006, 17:36
It's a great event to attend. Are you able to go all for days than get the 4 day package.If you can't get the infield and grandstand ticket. on raceday there's a massive autograph session. There's lots of things to do in the infield. At night they have movies playing,fireworks and other things. The racing is great. The race isn't decided till the last hour.
Here are some websites
http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/news/rolex_24_at_daytona/

http://www.grand-am.com/Home.asp

grandam
21st December 2006, 17:49
You have drivers form different series compete.
Nascar
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Tony Stewart

IRL
Scott Dixon
Dan Wheldon
Scott Sharp
Helio Castroneves
Sam Hornish Jr

Champ Car
Paul Tracy
Katherine Legge

F1
JJ Lehto
Gastón Mazzacane

entry list for test days
http://www.grand-am.com/Events/EntryList.asp?EventID=176

grassrootsracer
21st December 2006, 18:07
Go! It's awesome. I would suggest hooking up with Grassroots Motorsports while you're there, as they have a great area set up for the fans. http://www.grmotorsports.com/

Danske
21st December 2006, 19:05
I would like to get some feedback about Rolex 24 hrs race at Daytona from those who have any knowledge from this series. I am contemplating attending the event for the first time and would like to know more about it..

Have you been following the series or are you asking for even basic information about it?

As for attending it, pack for all weather conditions. It may be Florida but it's still late January. Pack for warm, cold, windy and wet weather (it theoretically could even snow). It's a long night in January (not like that pansy race in June ;) ), and even if it's not that cold the humid air can make a breeze very chilly.

rlenis
21st December 2006, 20:51
Have you been following the series or are you asking for even basic information about it?

I do not follow the series at all but I do follow some of the drivers from other categories (IRL, NASCAR) . From what I hear there are a lot of activities in the middle section of the track which is accessible to fans depending on your tickets. I would like to get some more info about the cars.. "Daytona prototypes" which I know nothing about, the racing involved.. (different classes racing at the same time) are there many accidents?
Can you use your tickets to go in and out of the track at anytime you want during the 24hrs or are they fixed for specific reserved times?

thanks for the info so far.

Mecca of Speed
21st December 2006, 21:50
For the 24, there are two classes the Daytona Prototypes and the GT cars. The Prototypes are the faster class, with a mix of chassis and engine manufactures. As you know, for Daytona there are a bunch of guest or one off drivers that often race due to there schedule being open and a general interest in the event.

In the past there have been some interesting teams that run just Daytona, but you would have to check the entry list to see who is in this year.

You will also find some drivers in Grand Am also run in ALMS so the talent pool is pretty deep.

The number of incidents varies with conditions and how tight the field is running. I guarantee there will be contact, but don’t expect “the big one” like you can in NASCAR restrictor plate races.

There is also contact from tight racing as teams can get in some pretty good scraps during the race.

To avoid all the technical info I would recommend checking out their website for the basic information.

If you followed any open wheel racing in the States the last 5-10 years many of the drivers that could not land fulltime rides in open wheel are now in Grand Am or ALMS.

grandam
21st December 2006, 22:35
nice article

http://www.daytonaintlspeedway.com/530654.html

Danske
22nd December 2006, 00:00
I'm not going myself, so I may have some of this wrong, but you can get access to the paddock and the garage viewing area (Daytona has an elevated, windowed area for fans to watch from). You'll also want good walking shoes to view from several different areas both in the grandstands and the infield. You may not care about the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture show, the ferris wheel, or the wine and cheese tasting party. ;) You can come and go as you please so you don't have to sleep in the grandstands and eat only vendor food (but you can if you want to). You can also rent a scanner and listen to the team and TV production radio frequencies during the race.

Calling the Daytona ticket office may or may not help. It's understandably very NASCAR-oriented and you may get someone who doesn't even know the Rolex 24 exists.

For a little more detail in the technical area, it's not a constructor-oriented formula like F1. A lot of the teams will be using the same chassis and engines in the DP class. The series isn't a battle of billion-dollar budgets and isn't trying to field the fastest cars the world has ever seen. What you will have is seventy-plus (across the two classes), mostly closely-matched (within each class) cars all fighting to be first across the line after twenty-four hours. With traction control being eliminated this year there may be a lot of tail-wagging action too.

Danske
22nd December 2006, 00:16
Oh, and on the accident issue, I'd say the most would occur as a result of the mixed-class format. There are a lot of ways that drivers can inadvertantly get into trouble when the classes mix going through turns, especially if they try it three or more abreast.

harvick#1
22nd December 2006, 00:24
Calling the Daytona ticket office may or may not help. It's understandably very NASCAR-oriented and you may get someone who doesn't even know the Rolex 24 exists.

they should always know, its the first race to kick off Speedweek. but I've been ashamed in GrandAm racing since, the style of Nascar came over, and the all run the most ugly cars in racing. I missed the good ol's days in the Rolex when they ran the Porsches, Jags, Lola's, Dallara's, BMW Prototypes were the same that ran in other Endurance races around the world.

racefanfromnj
22nd December 2006, 00:44
well unfortunately those days are gone forever like it or not.We now have what we have!

Fangio
22nd December 2006, 06:31
well unfortunately those days are gone forever like it or not.We now have what we have!

It`s a shame.... but at least the race attracts many racers from different series which makes it a great event in that regard.
I went to my first Rolex this year and it was great...this year we may get Montoya?.

trumperZ06
22nd December 2006, 15:57
they should always know, its the first race to kick off Speedweek. but I've been ashamed in GrandAm racing since, the style of Nascar came over, and the all run the most ugly cars in racing. I missed the good ol's days in the Rolex when they ran the Porsches, Jags, Lola's, Dallara's, BMW Prototypes were the same that ran in other Endurance races around the world.

;) YEP !!!

:dozey: It's now "spec car" racing with a lot of NA$CAR drivers, to put fanny's in the seats. A few, like Tony Stewart can actually drive a road course. The Daytona/Rolex 24 Hour has lost it's International Flavor, not having the factory support from Ferrari, Porsche, etc. but it is competitive racing.

:D I'm sure you will have a lot of fun... weather permiting !

:s mokin:

rlenis
22nd December 2006, 16:33
Thank you all for your valuable information. Is the Montoya rumor confirmed?
I know Pruett, Wheldon and Dixon are in.
I also wanted to see Danica but I think she pulled out from the event.

Lee Roy
22nd December 2006, 16:46
;) YEP !!!

It's now "spec car" racing . . . .

Spec car??? There are a number of different cars as well as different engines, and can be used in different combinations.

If the whole field used the same car from the same manufacturer, and they all lined up at the "engine trailer" to get their standard "crate" engines without any modifications allowed, then that would be "spec car" racing.

grandam
22nd December 2006, 17:04
Yes Danica pulled out and we have replaced her with Jr. JPM may drive the rolex 24.

Subaru WRX
23rd December 2006, 05:39
Daytona 24 vs 12H of Sebring, which race has the largest crowd ?

harvick#1
23rd December 2006, 06:05
Sebring most likely,

every time I see pics from the Rolex 24 on this site, there is no one in the stands and they don't show how in the infield or garage

Subaru WRX
23rd December 2006, 15:20
probably you're right !

Daytona: (http://www.chara.gsu.edu/~marshall/pics/2002daytona/crowd.jpg)
http://www.chara.gsu.edu/~marshall/pics/2002daytona/crowd.jpg

Sebring:
http://www.crash.net/picture_view~pid~189~picid~240571~cid~9~category_i d~229~event_id~mobil1twelvehoursofsebring_18032006 ~search_string~.htm

grandam
23rd December 2006, 18:26
Last year there was about 80,000 people.

Lee Roy
23rd December 2006, 21:44
Anyone who thinks that fans sit in grandstands for a 24 hour endurance race needs their heads examined.

cybersdorf
24th December 2006, 22:57
Anyone who thinks that fans sit in grandstands for a 24 hour endurance race needs their heads examined.
Anyone who thinks they don't hasn't been to one. It is the pinnacle of motor racing, accept it.

Lee Roy
25th December 2006, 21:19
Anyone who thinks they don't hasn't been to one. It is the pinnacle of motor racing, accept it.

I've been to the 24 hours of Daytona. Everyone was in the infield.

Jag_Warrior
26th December 2006, 01:16
Are the grandstands restricted during the Rolex? Is there any kind of seating in the infield?

grandam
26th December 2006, 03:01
Yes the infield gets crowed and they won't let cars in. There's small grandstands in the infield to watch.People like to park their cars and rv's next to the fence. I was told that the speedway has sold between 50,000-55,000 tickets already.

FormerFF
27th December 2006, 03:46

Way more at Sebring. While the Speedway is a pretty big place, all the crowd at Daytona is in the infield. If you look at a track map, you'll see how big the infield is after you take away Lake Lloyd, the road course, the paddock and garage area, and now the RV parking areas, there's not that much left. Granted, it gets stuffed with cars, but I don't think the crowd's as big as most have been led to believe.

The other issue with watching a road race at Daytona is there is just not enough spectating area. There are a couple of small grandstands and not all that much fence along the course.

Of course, the best deal would be to go to both Sebring and Daytona, and report back which you liked better.

FormerFF
27th December 2006, 03:59
Here's the ticket link:
http://secure.racetickets.com//DaytonaInternationalSpeedway/ft/TicketSales/index.cfm?event=tixList&display=tixList&EstablishmentKey=3&EstablishmentType=T&TixEventID=1634&showCart=no&HeadlineStoryID=17115&GatewayPass=y

Kind of a bummer they make you buy a 4 day ticket to get into the garage area, but at $80, it's a reasonable 4 day ticket. Four day ticket to Sebring is the same price.

grandam
27th December 2006, 04:22
You can get a garage pass for $35. It seems like every year more people are going to the rolex.

FormerFF
27th December 2006, 04:42
A couple of years ago, it was announced on Speed that the 24 hour race had set a new attendance record. Of course, they wouldn't say what that record was, so it remains a mystery.

Odd question: I've been watching it for years on TV, but I've never seen an overhead shot of Daytona for the 24 hour race. Does anyone else remember seeing one? At every other non-street race I've seen, I've always seen an overhead of the track, weather permitting.

grandam
27th December 2006, 04:52
If you add all the people in the grandstand it would probably fill the Petty,Nextel and Earnhardt Towers.

harvick#1
27th December 2006, 05:00
You can get a garage pass for $35. It seems like every year more people are going to the rolex.

yes because they can see the Nextel Cup and IRL stars for a cheaper price than a NNC or IRL event :rolleyes:

Fangio
27th December 2006, 15:38
A couple of years ago, it was announced on Speed that the 24 hour race had set a new attendance record. Of course, they wouldn't say what that record was, so it remains a mystery.

Odd question: I've been watching it for years on TV, but I've never seen an overhead shot of Daytona for the 24 hour race. Does anyone else remember seeing one? At every other non-street race I've seen, I've always seen an overhead of the track, weather permitting.

Being there, the crowd is 90% + in the infield...the grandstands have some people in them. Although I don`t remember a TV shot as you ask.

The Rolex is place you can take a family without worry though.
Sebring?...well....just don`t stay overnight (unless you have beads). :D

Gunman
27th December 2006, 16:14
Way more at Sebring.

But how many at Sebring actually know there is a race going on, compared to those at Daytona?

grandam
27th December 2006, 21:42
Bobby Labonte and Bill Lester have been added to drive in the rolex.

racefanfromnj
27th December 2006, 23:58
i just wish i could afford to go to either one

FormerFF
28th December 2006, 04:36
But how many at Sebring actually know there is a race going on, compared to those at Daytona?

Nearly all of them, at both races. I was at Sebring last year, and everyone I met was both interested and knowledgeable. The old theory was that it was just a place for drunken college kids on Spring Break just isn't true. If anything, the crowd skews a little older than the Petit LeMans.

Race crowds are a lot saner than they used to be. When I first started going to races (1972), they were wild. You'd show up in the morning, there'd be guys passed out in the mud. Anybody remember the bog at Watkins Glen? Guys would bring old beater cars and drive them thorough the bog. If they got stuck, somebody would set the car on fire. At the 1973 six hour/Can-Am, I think there were four burned out cars in the bog on Sunday morning. One year somebody stole a Greyhound bus and it got burned in the bog. The next year track management filled it in.

Have you been to a ALMS race for the pit walk? It's the most amazing thing. They open the pits for the pit walk and about 5000 people stream in. Everybody slowly walks by the cars for 15 or 20 minutes, then the announcement goes out to clear the grid. Everyone starts to leave, no fuss, no bother. It's the most well behaved large crowd I've ever seen.

Gunman
28th December 2006, 05:13
Nearly all of them, at both races. I was at Sebring last year, and everyone I met was both interested and knowledgeable.

I didn't make Sebring last year, but in prior years there was more than a few in the Green Park that were there just for the party. The amount of debauchery at Sebring is way beyond what I've seen at Daytona.

I've also got the 1993 Sebring Mud Pit DVD, its a classic if you haven't seen it.

Subaru WRX
28th December 2006, 18:45
Last year I watched both Rolex 24 and 12h of Sebring, and from the TV, its clear that the ALMS classic have much more crowd.

anyway both are 2 great races,and these are my favourites real endurance races, in order :

- Le Mans 24 Hours
- Spa 24 Hours, FIA GT event
- 12 Hours of Sebring
- Petit Le Mans
- Rolex 24

grandam
29th December 2006, 21:49
The paint scheme on the 20 is TIGHT. Look for it on Wed.

Subaru WRX
30th December 2006, 20:09
the entry list for this year Rolex 24 is huge : more than 70 cars !!! the double of the ALMS field !!

Danske
30th December 2006, 21:11
Erm...the entry list was up on the official site for a couple days but it was preliminary and has since been taken down; what are you looking at? Last years?

Not that 70+ cars isn't likely, however. It would have been one greater were it not for Honda's involvement. :P
( http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=240392 )

Abel Karaj
31st December 2006, 20:16
Romain Dumas will join fellow Porsche works drivers Jorg Bergmeister and Pat Long in the #23 Alex Job Racing/Crawford Porsche.

Definitely a car to watch.

Subaru WRX
1st January 2007, 11:29
Romain Dumas will join fellow Porsche works drivers Jorg Bergmeister and Pat Long in the #23 Alex Job Racing/Crawford Porsche.

Definitely a car to watch.
true but I think that Jorg Bergmeister is no longer a factory Porsche driver, or am I wrong ? :)

Abel Karaj
1st January 2007, 12:44
He is rumoured to be a factory driver again. But I haven't seen a confirmation yet (Porsche has yet to announce their new drivers after Luhr and Rockenfeller left for Audi).

Subaru WRX
1st January 2007, 15:51
the AJR Porsche could easly have won the DP championship in 2006 without the foolish rules adjustments that GARRA have done to prevent Porsche from completely dominating the Rolex Series.

for the 2007 I hope that AJR will win the Rolex 24 the whole Grand Am series and come back to ALMS in 2008, with an RS Spyder or the brand new 997 GT3 RSR

Danske
1st January 2007, 19:15
the AJR Porsche could easly have won the DP championship in 2006 without the foolish rules adjustments that GARRA have done to prevent Porsche from completely dominating the Rolex Series

AJR finished on the podium every single race in which some incident did not otherwise take them out of contention. You can't blame the rules for the broken shift linkage at Laguna, the electrical difficulties at Phoenix and Mid-Ohio, getting pushed into the gravel by the Cheever Porsche Crawford at Watkins Glen, AJR setting themselves on fire in the pits at Infineon, or the broken control arm at Miller. They rules had nothing to do with all the points they threw away in those races.

Abel Karaj
1st January 2007, 19:53
AJR finished on the podium every single race in which some incident did not otherwise take them out of contention. You can't blame the rules for the broken shift linkage at Laguna, the electrical difficulties at Phoenix and Mid-Ohio, getting pushed into the gravel by the Cheever Porsche Crawford at Watkins Glen, AJR setting themselves on fire in the pits at Infineon, or the broken control arm at Miller. They rules had nothing to do with all the points they threw away in those races.

I agree on this one.

It was much the same in 2005 when the same kind of problems robbed Romain Dumas and Timo Bernhard of the ALMS title they deserved.

FCYTravis
8th January 2007, 06:57
Not to mention the fact that Job did not enter or race at Mexico City.

It's pretty tough to win a title when you score zero points at a race. The fact that the 23 even came close speaks volumes about their performance.

Interestingly, it also cost them the opportunity to participate in the Pacesetter bonus program, which is only available to teams which entered every race in the previous season.

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2007, 08:58
I would love to go back to Daytona for the 24 hours. I am not a fan of the Rolex cars that are out there, but they do put on a good race.

Those who have been there will tell you hardly anyone sits in the stands except maybe for 10 minutes at the start. Are there 80000 people there? I doubt it. I suspect that is the total 3 day attendance, the most I think I could figure might have been there would be a little less than that.

Sebring and Daytona are however two classics, and any race fan who loves endurance racing could not go wrong by going to either one. It may not be LeMans, but Daytona is a spectacle even when you are there on a non-race day. To see that big oval and those stands makes one realize size does MATTER!!!

ChocMonster
9th January 2007, 15:35

Do you go to a race to watch the on track action or the crowd? :confused:

That fact that so many top line racing drivers from around the globe want to race at Daytona is enough to convince me it's still one of the best races in the world.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 22:38
the entry list for this year Rolex 24 is huge : more than 70 cars !!! the double of the ALMS field !!

You could buy 10 Rolex cars for what Audi probably spent on one of their cars...the quality of race car in ALMS is a lot higher than Rolex. Rolex cars are more to show off the drivers, which is the mindset of NASCAR and Grand AM. The drivers are the stars, not the cars. It is working as a strategy, even if I find the cars ugly......for for most of the fans at the Daytona race anyhow, they are NASCAR fans looking to see THEIR heroes moonlighting.

trumperZ06
11th January 2007, 17:52
You could buy 10 Rolex cars for what Audi probably spent on one of their cars...the quality of race car in ALMS is a lot higher than Rolex. Rolex cars are more to show off the drivers, which is the mindset of NASCAR and Grand AM. The drivers are the stars, not the cars. It is working as a strategy, even if I find the cars ugly......for for most of the fans at the Daytona race anyhow, they are NASCAR fans looking to see THEIR heroes moonlighting.

Well put, Mark.

:dozey: Family France wants to promote NA$CAR and put.... "fannies in the seats"...

so they are relying on the NA$CAR drivers to pull the crowd !!!

We no longer see Factory Teams at the Daytona/Rolex 24 hour...

Instead we have "Spec Race Cars" with an assortment of engines.

The International Flavor of Automobile Racing is gone...

Replaced by offering the fans another venue to see their favorite drivers.

racefanfromnj
12th January 2007, 00:58
well say what you will they do have a huge field of cars, and drivers from like everywhere. You go back to 'factory' invovlement you have ALMS ,incredibly sexy cars yes awesome fast yes. but so darn expensive you get what ALMS is .Smaller fields dependant on a few manufacturers that if they go then what?
Dont get me wrong I absolutely love ALMS racing , but Grand Am offers a different taste. You cant eat caviar everyday, some times you gotta go with a palin old cheeseburger.

rlenis
12th January 2007, 15:37
Which teams do you all predict will be fighting at the end for the win?
I am rooting for the Pruet/Montoya team.

call_me_andrew
13th January 2007, 06:20
Sebring most likely,

every time I see pics from the Rolex 24 on this site, there is no one in the stands and they don't show how in the infield or garage

Well normally there's no one in the stands unless it's the start of the race or the very end. I've never even seen a crowd around Sebring.

DavePI2
13th January 2007, 12:42
I like MSR's lineup for the 24. Since I live near MSR's garage I will have to drive by and see if they have one of their cars out. Not likely this time of year but last year in the summer before midohio they had one of the cars out . Love to see P.T. and A.J. help pull them through for the win. Go MSR. Also is there anyone else going to MidOhio this year? I will be there for the Rolex, ALMS, and Indy races.

DavePI2
13th January 2007, 12:47
I agree there is room for everyone no matter whether it is alms or rolex. Both provide differenet but entertaining racing. I look at it like this, Champ and IRl arn't F1 in quality of cars, but it is damn good racing just the same.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 20:46
Well normally there's no one in the stands unless it's the start of the race or the very end. I've never even seen a crowd around Sebring.

Never seen a crowd around Sebring? You watch the race? There is a solid one weekend city of tents and campers around the place for the 12 hours. It is one huge party with hard core race fans as the participants. I wont knock Daytona, it is a good show and the car count makes for some interesting racing, but Sebring has usually a more solid crowd from start to finish.

What is more, you don't have half the fans looking around the pits getting ready to squeal like kids when they see a NASCAR guy moonlighting. The ALMS fans are more hard core sports-car fans and love the cars as much as the drivers. IN Grand-Am, it is all about the drivers....

Sometimes a Cheeseburger is a lot of fun, but for me to spend the money, occasionally I just NEED a steak. Just wish it was bigger..

grandam
14th January 2007, 20:33
2007 Rolex 24 At Daytona entry list includes 21 former overall winners and 47 previous class winners of America's most prestigious endurance race in addition to a host of champions and superstar drivers from various forms of motorsport.
Of the 70 cars entered, 31 will include at least one driver with a class or overall victory in the Rolex 24 At Daytona. There are 28 Daytona Prototypes entered and 42 GT machines. The race will be televised live beginning at 1:00 p.m. ET on FOX on Saturday, January 27, followed by three parts on SPEED which begin at 2:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Saturday and 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 28.

Other notable entries include the No. 00 Vision Racing Porsche Crawford for IndyCar Series regulars Ed Carpenter, Tomas Scheckter and A.J. Foyt IV and Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indy Racing League CEO Tony George, the No. 3 Southard Motorsports Lexus Riley of Shane Lewis, Randy Ruhlman and rising open-wheel star Graham Rahal, the GT class No. 15 Blackforest Motorsports Ford Mustang Cobra GT for Tom Nastasi, Guy Cosmo, Lou Gigliotti and Champ Car standout Alex Tagliani, and the No. 77 Kodak/Doran Racing Ford Doran of Memo Gidley, Fabrizio Gollin and Champ Car race winners Michel Jourdain Jr. and Oriol Servia.

Tickets for the 45th anniversary of the Rolex 24 on Jan. 27-28 are available by calling 1-800-PITSHOP or by logging onto http://www.racetickets.com.

http://www.daytonaintlspeedway.com/news/track_news/531074.html

harvick#1
15th January 2007, 03:57
What is more, you don't have half the fans looking around the pits getting ready to squeal like kids when they see a NASCAR guy moonlighting. The ALMS fans are more hard core sports-car fans and love the cars as much as the drivers. IN Grand-Am, it is all about the drivers....

Sometimes a Cheeseburger is a lot of fun, but for me to spend the money, occasionally I just NEED a steak. Just wish it was bigger..

the sound of the Corvette is worth the admission :D I don't like when other drivers have to come in for a popular series to try and bring in fans :rolleyes:

besides the ALMS boasts some of the greatest racers in the world

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2007, 07:28
The Vette makes your ribcage rattle!!!

The R10 on the other hand, well if it isn't by itsself, you don't hear it at all.....

harvick#1
15th January 2007, 07:29
silent and deadly ;)

trumperZ06
18th January 2007, 04:10
:D Lou Gigliotti will be in a Corvette with Stevenson Racing !

;) Lou was testing with a Crawford chassis Mustang team... but will be driving the Corvette # 57, in the 24 hour race.

Lou runs his own Corvette team in the Speed World Challenge Series and his business specializes in modifying Corvette's as well as supplying after market parts.

Hoss Ghoul
19th January 2007, 23:33
Nearly all of them, at both races. I was at Sebring last year, and everyone I met was both interested and knowledgeable. The old theory was that it was just a place for drunken college kids on Spring Break just isn't true. If anything, the crowd skews a little older than the Petit LeMans.

Race crowds are a lot saner than they used to be. When I first started going to races (1972), they were wild. You'd show up in the morning, there'd be guys passed out in the mud. Anybody remember the bog at Watkins Glen? Guys would bring old beater cars and drive them thorough the bog. If they got stuck, somebody would set the car on fire. At the 1973 six hour/Can-Am, I think there were four burned out cars in the bog on Sunday morning. One year somebody stole a Greyhound bus and it got burned in the bog. The next year track management filled it in.

Have you been to a ALMS race for the pit walk? It's the most amazing thing. They open the pits for the pit walk and about 5000 people stream in. Everybody slowly walks by the cars for 15 or 20 minutes, then the announcement goes out to clear the grid. Everyone starts to leave, no fuss, no bother. It's the most well behaved large crowd I've ever seen.

Great stories.

We had a bonfire at Laguna Seca in 2005, and every NASCAR race I've been to was pretty nuts...but in general people are pretty well behaved.

Hoss Ghoul
19th January 2007, 23:35
The Vette makes your ribcage rattle!!!

The R10 on the other hand, well if it isn't by itsself, you don't hear it at all.....

The R8 was great the first year I saw it, before all the restrictions hit...but nothing compares to those Corvettes

Almost time for the 24...racing is getting near :s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 04:06
I missed those days.....but when a few of us T and S guys get drinking and camping up at Mosport, some joker usually starts the chant "THE BOG WANTS A BUS!" Of course we start laughing, because we are old and boring now...

grandam
24th January 2007, 21:56
Celebrate the start of the 2007 Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Special Reserve Season and the 24 Hour Classic with a street party featuring race cars, drivers, autographs, merchandise and ticket giveaways.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 from 7-8 PM

Throughout this weekend’s race, Ruby Tuesday will stay open -- all 24 hours!

Ruby Tuesday
1808 W. Int’l Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach, FL