PDA

View Full Version : Capirossi Situation

edlalu
6th August 2007, 18:03
Just read MotoGP.coms blurb on Loris' displeasure with the way Ducati is handling the addition of Marco to the factory team. I thought Ducati would run three bikes next year, but it looks like they want to hand Loris off to D'Antin.

Anyone reading details elsewere that might shed more light on the situation?

Corny
6th August 2007, 18:11
Too bad from Ducati, Loris stayed with them when the Duc was on a low point, now Loris is on a low point, and Ducati wants to throw him out.. Too bad!

ChrisS
6th August 2007, 20:35
I read that same story elsewhere a few weeks ago, I wonder why it took motogp so long to post it.

I think Loris was pissed at Ducati for making an announcement about their line-up because (other than the obvious reason that he is out) he lost a bargaining chip in his negotiations with Kawasaki and Suzuki.

Rudedawg
6th August 2007, 22:13
I read that same story elsewhere a few weeks ago, I wonder why it took motogp so long to post it.

I think Loris was pissed at Ducati for making an announcement about their line-up because (other than the obvious reason that he is out) he lost a bargaining chip in his negotiations with Kawasaki and Suzuki.

Its a shame that Ducati would do something like that to Capirex. He needed more adaptation in riding style in riding the 800cc Ducati but has done a lot in its development. Stoner is walkin away with the glory but Capirossi has been instrumental in its development. The more reason to be piised off.

The Phantom
7th August 2007, 03:32
Ducati are just being Ducati - they're known for being ruthless, look at how they've treated all their past WSB champs, including Bayliss when he was on the MotoGP squad.

Foggy never got shafted because he won all the time - until his career-ending crash, at which point you'd have thought he'd go to work for the team in some capacity. But it appears there was no offer made to him, again showing that Ducati aren't interested in non-performers in any sense.

Schultz
7th August 2007, 15:11
To be honest, if you cannot be ruthless when you are the top team in the top level of motorcycle racing, you can't be ruthless at all. Ducati are at the top of the game, and therefore, they have the right to accept and reject at their own discretion. They offered him a ride, and as far as i'm concerned, they shouldn't be expected to give more to a rider who is the majority of the way throughout the season and still has not been able to match the speed and consistency of his teammate.

burger
9th August 2007, 03:27
Its a shame that Ducati would do something like that to Capirex. He needed more adaptation in riding style in riding the 800cc Ducati but has done a lot in its development. Stoner is walkin away with the glory but Capirossi has been instrumental in its development. The more reason to be piised off.

So you are saying that Capirossi had a large part in developing a bike that he can't ride???? :confused: That's just non-sensical.

Capirossi rode the bike once or twice before Stoner threw a leg over it after Valencia last year (where he was quicker that Capirossi)

Stoner is walking away with the glory because he is the one winning races. That is what Ducati, HRC, Yamaha, et al are all in the motoGP business for.

fatman
9th August 2007, 04:53
So you are saying that Capirossi had a large part in developing a bike that he can't ride???? :confused: That's just non-sensical.

while i agree with the rest of your comments, Capirossi may not have developed the 800s performance characteristics but he did play a big role in Ducati's rise to where they are today. Credit where credits due.

That said, I think Cap's biggest beef is that he learned of the signing of Marco when you, me and everyone else did. He would have preferred being told in person. I doubt he blames his team and I doubt it will change how he rides for the rest of the season.

RobJ
9th August 2007, 19:06
To be honest, if you cannot be ruthless when you are the top team in the top level of motorcycle racing, you can't be ruthless at all.
Spot on. Ducati want to win the championship this year, and every year. If the riders aren't up to scratch, it's time to go. Capirossi, even though he was third last year, is lost this year and is headed for retirement (even he says one, maybe two more years at most). Ducati wanted Melandri last year, couldn't get him, so took Stoner: I think their original plan at the point of signing Stoner was to have Capirossi and Melandri for 2008: an Italian dream-team...but Stoner proved just too damn good to lose.

tha_jackal
10th August 2007, 03:51
while i agree with the rest of your comments, Capirossi may not have developed the 800s performance characteristics but he did play a big role in Ducati's rise to where they are today. Credit where credits due.

That said, I think Cap's biggest beef is that he learned of the signing of Marco when you, me and everyone else did. He would have preferred being told in person. I doubt he blames his team and I doubt it will change how he rides for the rest of the season.

Totally agree.. Ducati could of at least had the decency to inform him before cutting him loose, so to speak.. I mean, its just the right thing to do, rather than him find out in the media..

Sure, Capirossi's results this year have been average and Ducati want young, fast, championship contenders in their team and I believe Loris should move on or retire but Ducati have obviously never heard of a thing called 'common courtesy' :mad:

burger
10th August 2007, 08:48
Totally agree.. Ducati could of at least had the decency to inform him before cutting him loose, so to speak.. I mean, its just the right thing to do, rather than him find out in the media..

Sure, Capirossi's results this year have been average and Ducati want young, fast, championship contenders in their team and I believe Loris should move on or retire but Ducati have obviously never heard of a thing called 'common courtesy' :mad:

Perhaps Ducati were abrupt in their dealings with Capirossi, but we only know his side of the story. If he was playing hard ball with them, or playing them against kawasaki and Suzuki, then it's possible that Ducati not letting him know before going public with Marco's signing was a case of tit for tat.

I'm not saying this is the case, just we have only heard one side of the story and are convicting Ducati based on that alone - which also seems to be a lack of common courtesy on our part...