PDA

View Full Version : getting started in rallying

ridecwb777
5th August 2007, 23:47
im new to rallying and i really want to get started in it...i have a friend that would be my co-driver and we have been watching it on the x games. what does anyone suggest that i do first to get started in the sport? like what rally organization to get into, what is a good first car and stuff like that. i live in north texas so if anyone knows of and shops or anything like that please let me know...

thanks

L5->R5/CR
5th August 2007, 23:56
im new to rallying and i really want to get started in it...i have a friend that would be my co-driver and we have been watching it on the x games. what does anyone suggest that i do first to get started in the sport? like what rally organization to get into, what is a good first car and stuff like that. i live in north texas so if anyone knows of and shops or anything like that please let me know...

thanks

Since you are in the US go to the following sites.

http://nasarallysport.com

http://www.rally-america.com

and especially, http://www.specialstage.com (spend lots of time reading here, also, there are some teams in TX you can hook up with)

L5->R5/CR
6th August 2007, 00:25
Thought I would take the time to post some more to help for you.

In the US you have two series that you need to consider carefully.

Being in TX you have only one in state event, you have to go east, west, or north to find more races.

That said, if you want to do Rally America (the larger national series, but a bit more expensive and restrictive on rules) you have to start in a low powered 2wd car, or apply for a waiver to get into a lower powered AWD car. You will also have to get head and neck restraints before your first race (a good idea but lots more money).

If you are really serious send me a PM or look on specialstage.com and I'll point you to the TX teams and the TX event organizers. You should think about working at an event in a control and crewing for a team or two before you build/buy a car.

Back to the car, it is going to be expensive. $4-6,000.00 to buy a car and it will be very expensive to get to events since you will have to tow a lot. To do more than the one TX event you will have to come to Colorado (we have an all dirt hill climb series that has stage like roads), go to California (and run in the California rally series), or go the east coast events like rally West Virginia and the Sandblast Rally in South Carolina. That is a lot of towing, so prepare wisely.

Just about anyone in the US scene will do whatever they can to help with guidance, support, and advice...

Garry Walker
6th August 2007, 21:39

thanks

some hints for you:

1) Are you actually any good at driving a car (you have to be very good)? If not, dont waste your money and time and dont risk the life of your friend.
2) Dont choose just any guy you can for co-driver, it has to be a person who you can trust totally (vice-versa too), who has very strong nerves and is a calm person. His job is to always calm you down, and not show any sign of nervousness, if he is the kinda guy who gets nervous and very emotional, dont bother with him.Co-driver obviously has to be very competent too, he is 50% of the success. But give him time to learn it as well, it is not as easy as some people think.
If you have any rally games, you could at first see how it works for you and him by doing this: take a stage, write up notes and then turn off all the aids and have him read the notes to you, while you are driving. Silly, but has some use.
3) For starters, find a car that is hard to drive and nervous. Will be good training for you, even if you dont get results, but it will be very good practise.
4) If you start doing it, then dedicate yourself to it as much as possible, there is no point in doing something half-hearted, especially something that is so dangerous as rallying is.

CCFanatic
6th August 2007, 22:28
One thing I have had that kept me from rally and steered me towards road racing is my stomach. I know this does not mean much to most, but I attended the O'Neil Rally School(which I recommend before actually racing) and I found I develope motion sickness very easily.

Like Garry said. This is pretty much your life. If you are still in school, it will be hard to do, but is possible. But if you are on your own, it is acutally very easty to do.

You said you are new. No other rally in the world is like what you saw in the X-Games. It is very different. What you saw on TV or in person is not what you will be doing if you enter rally.

Christina
7th August 2007, 05:11
Try posting this in the Rally forum. you should get a good response there. Also maybe send Pentti a PM.. he will have some good advice.

Rollo
7th August 2007, 05:28
Just a few questions:

1. Can you already drive a motor car?
2. Do you have a spare motor car you are prepared to have destroyed?

Generally anyone in any form of motorsport either funds themselves or is funded by someone who has noticed them... which meant that their first step was to fund themselves in some arena.

To be blunt, if you can't fund that first step then because motor racing is an expensive business then no-one else will fund you cold.
You could try volunteering for free with an established team but again, that isn't a guarantee that they'd give you a drive.

From personal experience when a group of friends and I built two rally cars, everyone wants a go. In the end it came to who had the most raw talent, but again we had to build and fund the cars ourselves.

L5->R5/CR
7th August 2007, 18:05
I think this would be better in the NA forum since the US has its peculiarities...

jonas_mcrae
7th August 2007, 22:59
you see!!
Xgames do work! more people into rally!

all the best fr you ridecwb777

Zico
8th August 2007, 00:38
Welcome to the forum, Once you've been bitten by the rally bug it doesnt go away. :D Doesnt look like you have been back to see your replies, which is a pity, some good advice given so far but seeing as no-one has answered your question about car choice, I'll try... I haven't a clue how old you are, what your budget might be, if you hope to achieve something from rallying or whether its just going to be an expensive fun hobby. After spectating at a few events you will learn so much from marshelling. My advice would be to then attend a rally school and see 1st hand what its all about, the clubs/sites L5/C5 mentioned should help you on your way..

If you have a real talent you will realise it at rally school. If you want to progress to 4wd, I'd suggest a front wheel drive rallycar as your 1st car.. Imo not as much fun as RWD but this is the route future WRC drivers take due to there being more similarities to 4wd in the way they handle.

If you want to have a fun hobby purely to enjoy yourself on a lower budget Id suggest a front engined RWD rallycar.. something light and not too big.
Power to weight ratio is very important. You might never build a career from it but the Grin factor is far greater than Front wheel drive.

All in my honest opinion of course,

ATB..

leopard
8th August 2007, 07:57
Try posting this in the Rally forum. you should get a good response there. Also maybe send Pentti a PM.. he will have some good advice.No answer, He might want advice from you ;)

Christina
8th August 2007, 08:11
No answer, He might want advice from you ;)

Advice from me on what? how to be a stupid giggly blonde?

leopard
8th August 2007, 08:17
Advice from me on what? how to be a stupid giggly blonde?
Not sure, he didn't come again after giving us question on his first post, who knows he was hoping only your advice, not asking him for going to someone else. :)

leopard
8th August 2007, 09:08
anyway, glad to see you are fine