PDA

View Full Version : d'oh..nearly forgot.. Euro F3 series Round 1!!

real_illusions
5th August 2007, 21:37
A few days late (due to been very busy working..), therefore i'll extend the deadline a little bit.

Anyway..

These races will count towards both the British and Euro F3 series. Let me know when you submit your times which series your in..otherwise i wont know which one to put you in to score points!

Car Settings - Default. (no set ups allowed!)
AI - Hard
Free practise
Qualifying - max 7 laps.
Corner cutting - off (but at least 2 wheels on the black stuff at all times, unless you crash or decide to run some spectators over...)
Careless driving - off
Flags - on

2 races in each round.

Race 1 - 5 laps. No pit stops. A sprint to the finish.

Race 2 - 8 laps with compulsory pitstop where you must stop and change tyres. Fuel is optional, as is any damage you want to repair.

Times to bve submitted to me no later than August 14th at midnight (ish) british time.

Have fun!

:)

johnny shell
6th August 2007, 13:24
and the circuit is...... drum roll please -

Donington Park GP! :D

real_illusions
6th August 2007, 19:02
and the circuit is...... drum roll please -

Donington Park GP! :D

oh yeah..thought there was something missing that i couldn't quite place my finger on.. ;)

johnny shell
6th August 2007, 19:19
this is a good track to start off on. in default set-up, these cars should be pretty easy to handle around this circuit.

you can get them kind of skiddish if you really mess with the set-up. but I think we'll be flat out most the time here.

even if we continue with default settings, zandorf, spa, and brands hatch should be quite interesting though!

really looking forward to those rounds :up:

Penske_ALMS
7th August 2007, 03:06
Just to clarify, if you race in both British and Euro series, would you do race 1 & 2 twice?

tannat
7th August 2007, 04:04
Just to clarify, if you race in both British and Euro series, would you do race 1 & 2 twice?

Hope to squeeze in this with TRD3 DTM and CMR2 Germany approaching this weekend..

Default settings will help in this regard :up:

johnny shell
7th August 2007, 12:46

I'm hoping that if we want to do both series we can use the same time for each.

And when the Euro and British series are running on the same weekend we just do both races.

I was thinking about doing both too. But then I'd have to run an F3 car around Snetterton. It's kind of nostalgic to run a GT car there, but....

well, if F1 can race a Monoco I guess I can race there :laugh:

johnny shell
7th August 2007, 20:05
well, forget what I said about this track being easy!

I spun out all the time. I did work my way down to the 1:04s though.

here's a tip - I didn't lift until the chicane before the "GP" part of the circuit.

instead, just stab your brakes at the three corners you can't make otherwise - the first one and those two 90 degree right-handers on the backside.

where you stab the brakes on those two right-handers is critical. be on the brakes as you crest the hill to avoid running wide on exit.

dang - I just noticed Piotr has the fast lap on codies on every single track the F3 cars race on except two - Snetterton and Sandown! :up:

that includes the Bonus Cup and Sheild!

real_illusions
7th August 2007, 20:13

same time will do. so only have to complete each race once.

Adam Sloma
7th August 2007, 22:05
dang - I just noticed Piotr has the fast lap on codies on every single track the F3 cars race on except two - Snetterton and Sandown! :up:

He's also the fastest on Snetterton, because my time is made with the cuting chicane.

CCFanatic
8th August 2007, 00:05
Do you post them here? Do you post your overall time or lap time?

real_illusions
8th August 2007, 13:14
Do you post them here? Do you post your overall time or lap time?

pm me your times.

quali, fastest race lap and overall race time

johnny shell
9th August 2007, 18:41
wow. ran my races last night.

and I some some advice. I've heard drivers talk about it, but I never totally 'got' what they were talking about until I ran these races-

Remember to breath!

johnny shell
9th August 2007, 19:05
a lap of the Donington GP circuit with Johnny Shell.

http://website.lineone.net/~mouser/ineson/Track_Days/dpmap2.gif

heading into Redgate stay way to the left until the last minute. Keeping on full throttle, jab the brakes & downshift to 4th until the car turns in enough to hug the inside kurb then let release the brakes & let it drift out to the outside kurb.

Redgate is the trickiest of the corners. if you start drifting out too soon you'll spin out. if you hit it just right you should upshift to 5th right at the end of the kurbing at corner exit.

You should upshift to 6th around the exit of Hollywood and stay full throttle all the way through McLeans, where I tap the breaks and downshift to 5th right as I crest the hill. If I do it just right I upshift to 6th just at the end of the kurning on exit. sometimes I have to feather the throttle a bit on exit to keep from spinning out or running wide.

Coppice is very similiar. downshift to fifth and brake as you crest the hill. but at Coppice I don't lift, even as I brake. If I hit it just right I upshift to 6th near the end of the exit kurning.

for Coppice and McLeans, it is important to do most of your turning before you crest the hill. once you crest it you lose most of your traction untl the car settles again.

for the esses, I start braking & downshift to 3rd about midway between the two markers and cut the first apex & hop the kurn as tight as I can... let the car roll, or float, for a minute then right in the middle of the esses downshift to 2nd & take off. you should hit third about as you hit the exit kurbing.

for the Melbourne hairpin, start braking well after you crest the hill, but before the final marker while downshifting to 2nd. Turn in very sharply and clip the inner kurn as the car floats for a breaf but beautiful second. feather the throttle carefully on exit.

for Goddards, brake at about the 2nd marker, turn in very late, down shift to second, the hit it.

I could run 1:04s in the race.

don't know if that helped anyone or not but I had fun reliving the lap :D

my favorit part of the lap is the three places where the car just floats. time seems to stand still for that brief moment :)

also hitting redgate, coppice, and McLeans just right are quite rewarding, since you never lift the throttle only jab the brakes.

real_illusions
9th August 2007, 19:55
i cant go as fast as johnny round here. I need to brake more. I find the cars actually understeer into nearly all the corners. Cant get anywhere near the 1:04's on a default setup.

I reckon johnny should run in reverse gear in the next race ;) :p

johnny shell
9th August 2007, 20:07
hand pad or wheel RI? you and I were like neck and neck through out the whole FPA series!

hand pads sometimes cause excessive understeer. tannat and I did a test on a nascar oval a while back that proved that.

the pad just wouldn't turn the wheel as much as it needed to be turned. when you use a pad the AI 'filters' your input.

if you're using a wheel you just gotta get the line perfect. I didn't have problems understeering, but the back end got out from under me like a billion times learning the proper lines!

of course the real pro is Piotr. I face Poland and bow down to Piotr's greatness before each and every time I get behind the wheel!

I think his real name just might rhyme with Bobert Fubica.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th August 2007, 21:08
I tried a few laps with a hand controller and all I got was understeer :s

Redgate is 3rd gear and Old Hairpin is impossible flat. I was around the 1:08 range. Sound like you were left foot braking through coppice? I tried that in my Fiat the other day and my face was nearly ripped off :s

Put at no point was I ever in danger of loosing it with over steer.

Maybe that's why you struggle a little with the DTM cars johnny? They feel twitchy with a hand controller so are they very twitchy with a steering wheel.

real_illusions
9th August 2007, 21:59
yeah..i have a controller. cant afford a steering wheel. i already have one in my car ;)

CCFanatic
9th August 2007, 22:01
I have decided to use my hand comtoller this race as I am not very fast with the wheel on the twisty section. I have a 1:08.

Adam Sloma
9th August 2007, 22:12
I drive on full throttle through the first corners and brake just before the esses.
Did not run my race yet, but in practise have time under 1:03.

tannat
9th August 2007, 22:19
Have you guys tried adjusting the rear anti roll bar?
Raising the profile of the rear tires?

Brown, Jon Brow
9th August 2007, 22:27
Have you guys tried adjusting the rear anti roll bar?
Raising the profile of the rear tires?

Default settings ;)

real_illusions
9th August 2007, 22:47
yup..default settings for this round.

tannat
10th August 2007, 04:15
Default settings ;)

OOPS!

No worries-I've yet to hit the track... :D

tannat
10th August 2007, 12:49
OOPS!

No worries-I've yet to hit the track... :D

Hit the track last night and couldn't break 1:10 :(

I'll have a go with Johnny's left foot braking technique..

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 12:51
Hit the track last night and couldn't break 1:10 :(

I'll have a go with Johnny's left foot braking technique..

I don't think that using your feet on a hand controller is a very good idea :s

johnny shell
10th August 2007, 13:04
I drive on full throttle through the first corners and brake just before the esses.
Did not run my race yet, but in practise have time under 1:03.

you are full throttle, no brakes, from the start of the lap until the esses?????

excuse my language, but son of a bitch!

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 15:04
excuse my language, but son of a bitch!

:s hock:

johnny shell
10th August 2007, 15:46
sorry JB. btw - I want to hear more about you almost ripping your face off trying to learn left foot braking :)

but if I'm reading Sloma right, and he can really flat foot it with no braking all the way to the esses, that really helps me understand how some people are so fast.

it's gotta be in how smooth they are and how precise and perfect their line is. there's no other variables- same car, same track, same set up.

of course, they're probably better at braking, accelerating, and setting the car up too!

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 16:12
sorry JB. btw - I want to hear more about you almost ripping your face off trying to learn left foot braking :)
!

It's just that the brakes in my car are a little 'snatchy' so when you think you are applying a little pressure with your left foot, it is actually a lot of pressure. So you get sudden deceleration and feels like you face has been ripped off :erm: . It takes a while to learn how to use your left foot braking in a car (even some F1 drivers don't do it eg. Rubens Barrichello.) You can do it easier on a game as you don't have a clutch pedal or the sensation of acceleration and deceleration.

tannat
10th August 2007, 16:54
I don't think that using your feet on a hand controller is a very good idea :s

Who writes your material, real illusions :p

Mad cat jnr
10th August 2007, 17:16
I had a go with my wheel couldnt get below 1:11, did a lap with they keyboard and i was around 1:07.

PiotrB
10th August 2007, 17:29
of course the real pro is Piotr. I face Poland and bow down to Piotr's greatness before each and every time I get behind the wheel!

I think his real name just might rhyme with Bobert Fubica.
:D Thank you.

Some of these submissions are really old. Normal F3 championship for example. I'm almost sure that I can beat all of these records. I planning to do 1min09 on Surfers Paradise and 45sec on Sandown. I hope that this is possible.

F3 cars really suits me driving style.

He's also the fastest on Snetterton, because my time is made with the cuting chicane.
Yes, you right Adam but 0:44.0x is definately possible without cutting last chicane. You just need good setup.

It takes a while to learn how to use your left foot braking in a car (even some F1 drivers don't do it eg. Rubens Barrichello.)
I saw that Jenson Button using left foot braking as a technique (brake and throttle pedal at the same time).

real_illusions
10th August 2007, 18:37
Who writes your material, real illusions :p

nah..us brits are all insane..just some of us are more insane than others ;)

Adam Sloma
10th August 2007, 18:38
but if I'm reading Sloma right, and he can really flat foot it with no braking all the way to the esses, that really helps me understand how some people are so fast.

Yes, you reading me right :) .
Sorry for my English, but when I walked to the school, we learnt Russian :mad: .

johnny shell
10th August 2007, 18:47
actually, your English is great, and your spelling is better than my own! and I'm from the country that invented English!

ok, maybe we just perfected it :p

I can't wait to try making that first turn full throttle with no brakes. but hell, I don't make it half the time now, using the brakes!

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2007, 18:48
actually, your English is great, and your spelling is better than my own! and I'm from the country that invented English!

ok, maybe we just perfected it :p

Ruined it :p

Penske_ALMS
12th August 2007, 10:54
I'm so slow, I think Spyker got their hands on the car somehow. ;) Was averaging between 1:11's and 1:14's. That turn one is a tricky son of a gun. :eek:

tannat
14th August 2007, 18:22
Completed our races..

The amount of understeer I was experiencing (X Box, wingpad) was absolutely ridiculous...

Curious what a current F3 driver would say about the programmer's representation of car behavior

Humbly request series organizer to have no more default rounds :D

johnny shell
14th August 2007, 18:41
I think one of our fellow americans ran a formula ford or something like that at skip barber and said that the game was very very realistic....using a wheel anyway.

real_illusions
14th August 2007, 20:27
only 5 out of the 8 people that signed up have submitted times so far. No sign of mr vuko competing in this one yet...

I will post the results tomorow when i get up (hopefully about midday, i get a lie in for once!). Gives you an extra 12 hours to get your races done.

real_illusions
15th August 2007, 12:44
Here we are folks!

5 people turned up at Donington Park for the opening round.

Adam Sloma leading the way, ahead of Johnny who is hot on his heels. A good battle developing between everyone else, with Tannat edging ahead for the moment.

Till the next round, these are the results for the Euro and british. With the small amount of numbers, it may not be worth running both. Instead, just run the british or the euro. If no-one says anything, then I'll be running just the Euro series. No point running the british where we have 4 in one series and 1 in the other.

Qualifying:

Race 1

Adam Sloma - 1:02.58
Johnny Shell - 1:04.34
R_Illusions - 1:10.07
Penske_ALMS - 1:10.09
Tannat - 1:11.09
CCFanatic - 1:14.05

Race 2

Adam Sloma - 1:02.88
Johnny Shell - 1:03.89
Tannat - 1:09.54
Penske_ALMS - 1:08.53
R_Illusions - 1:10.61
CCFanatic - 1:12.00

Race Results:

Race 1

Adam Sloma - (1:02.45) - 5:17.31
Johnny Shell - (1:04.25) - 5:25.52
Tannat - (1:09.18) - 5:54.40
R_Illusions - (1:09.98) - 5:55.14
Penske_ALMS - (1:10.09) - 6:00.47
CCFanatic - (1:12.00) - 6:53.81

Race 2

Adam Sloma - (1:02.68) - 9:01.10
Johnny Shell (1:04.00) - 9:11.00
CCFanatic - (1:08.75) - 9:48.07
Tannat - (1:09.45) - 9:53.75
R_Illusions - (1:09.57) - 9:54.12
Penske_ALMS (N/A) - 10:38.19

Standings after Round 1

Adam Sloma - 20
Johnny Shell - 16
Tannat - 12
R_Illusions - 9
CCFanatic - 8
Penske_ALMS - 7

Next up is the sand dunes of Zandvoort. Keep an eye out for the race details!

Adam Sloma
15th August 2007, 15:42
YES :D

1st race was almost perfect. Watch my fastest lap.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJaf9SvSGU

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 15:52
YES :D

1st race was almost perfect. Watch my fastest lap.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJaf9SvSGU

Thanks for the replay :up: That kind of speed through the corners is just impossible with a hand controller. Could you show some DTM laps please?

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 15:56
WOW. what a lap! so smooth and effortless.

I see what I was doing wrong now! I thought we had to stay on the right side of the road, like on public roads! I didn't know we could use both lanes.

I expect to be much faster next round.

nice job CCfan - getting a podium in your first set of races ever. way to go!

and a well-deserved podium for tannat too!

let's all drink some beer tonight :beer:

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 15:59
Thanks for the replay :up: That kind of speed through the corners is just impossible with a hand controller.

well, for most of us its impossible with a steering wheel too!

I read that the solviets dumped some radio active stuff in poland years and years ago that has turned them into a race of super-human drivers.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 16:12
I see what I was doing wrong now! I thought we had to stay on the right side of the road, like on public roads! I didn't know we could use both lanes.

But Donington's in Britain ;)

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 16:20
well duh. I wouldn't think that they would have thought about having the British GP in, say, Denmark :p

that would be stupid!

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 16:22
But why were you driving on the right of the road in Britain? :laugh:

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 16:30
I think racing circuits abided by INTERNATIONAL standards, not some silly British rule!

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 16:37
I think racing circuits abided by INTERNATIONAL standards, not some silly British rule!

Try telling that to Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bophuthatswana, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, Ciskei, Cyprus, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Lesotho, Macau, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea , St. Vincent & Grenadines, Seychelles, Sikkim, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St Kitts & Nevis, St. Helena, St. Lucia, Surinam, Swaziland, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, US Virgin Islands, Venda, Zambia, Zimbabwe

tannat
15th August 2007, 16:41
WOW! Didn't expect that result! Looks as if CCfanatic found some speed in race 2, and I'm willing to bet r_i could go faster with some practice.

Zandvoort should be quite fun, as long as we can setup the cars a bit.

Good show for you too, JShell :up:

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 17:03
awwww... look at all those poor places that England forced left-handed driving upon.

I'm glad we had our revolution before cars were invented! that whole taxing of the tea thing was such a blessing in disguise! :D

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2007, 17:19
awwww... look at all those poor places that England forced left-handed driving upon.

I'm glad we had our revolution before cars were invented! that whole taxing of the tea thing was such a blessing in disguise! :D

Americans don't even care for tea as well :laugh: Seems to me that the only reason Americans wanted Independence because you didn't want to pay over taxed prices for a drink you don't really like. Fair enough. If only Coca Cola was invented back then.... :laugh:

Any way whats wrong with driving on the left? As Americans all drive Japanese cars now it's a shame that they all have to be converted to left hand drive for your market.

johnny shell
15th August 2007, 18:10
tea is good as long as it has lots of ice and sugar in it :D

CCFanatic
15th August 2007, 21:07
WOW! Didn't expect that result! Looks as if CCfanatic found some speed in race 2, and I'm willing to bet r_i could go faster with some practice.

Zandvoort should be quite fun, as long as we can setup the cars a bit.

Good show for you too, JShell :up:

Thanks. I had never did the track with the wheel until I ran those races.

Adam, on the lap you took, I think you could have lowered it some more. On the final corner I noticed the front wheels looked like they slipped alittle. If you had gotten the traction there you could have been a thousandths or 2 quicker. Great lap anyway.

Adam Sloma
15th August 2007, 22:38
Adam, on the lap you took, I think you could have lowered it some more. On the final corner I noticed the front wheels looked like they slipped alittle. If you had gotten the traction there you could have been a thousandths or 2 quicker. Great lap anyway.

On the last corner, this stupid automatic gearbox, unexpectedly changed to the 2nd gear and there was nothing I could do.

CCFanatic
16th August 2007, 19:46
On the last corner, this stupid automatic gearbox, unexpectedly changed to the 2nd gear and there was nothing I could do.

So that is what I am doing wrong. My wheel has the paddles and the shift lever and I have been using the lever. Need to go no shifting.

johnny shell
16th August 2007, 19:57
yeah... I was wondering about that too.

you use automatic gear box adam?

Adam Sloma
16th August 2007, 21:34
yeah... I was wondering about that too.

you use automatic gear box adam?

Yeah, but when I buy the steering wheel, I will surley use the manual gear box.

CCFanatic
16th August 2007, 22:25
Yeah, but when I buy the steering wheel, I will surley use the manual gear box.

Paddle shifters get you about a second to half second more than sequential shifter stick.

real_illusions
16th August 2007, 23:31
Paddle shifters get you about a second to half second more than sequential shifter stick.

paddles? didnt you used a canoe to race..

Adam Sloma
17th August 2007, 08:17
paddles? didnt you used a canoe to race..

:laugh:

johnny shell
17th August 2007, 14:24
I can't see the paddles being that much faster than the lever - unless you use the clutch.

speaking of paddles, I got an inflatable kayak that came with those paddles that have paddles at both ends, so you don't have to keep switching sides.

those are cool!

and adam doesn't even have wheel? wow. must be using a key board then?

I guess for some reason that doesn't enduce occasional understeer like the hand pad does....

Adam Sloma
18th August 2007, 06:59
and adam doesn't even have wheel? wow. must be using a key board then?

I'm using analog pad, but on PC I can adjust it as a steering wheel.