PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDTV...Hobbs is getting annoying...

Kevincal
5th August 2007, 20:25
I mean jeez, he's so obviously a Lewis fan(old)boy... It's getting on my nerves. Someone needs to tell him to tone it down a notch...What ever happened to un-biased announcing? Maybe there was never such a thing...lol

ICKE
5th August 2007, 20:27
Speed commercial before the race :

"Forget Ferrari vs Mclaren....Itīs Alonso vs Hamilton"

Enough said about speed tv. :D

BDunnell
5th August 2007, 20:28
What if he genuinely considers Hamilton's achievements to be exceptional? It is possible.

markabilly
5th August 2007, 20:32
I mean jeez, he's so obviously a Lewis fan(old)boy... It's getting on my nerves. Someone needs to tell him to tone it down a notch...What ever happened to un-biased announcing? Maybe there was never such a thing...lol

He is still true blue British and every true blue brit should support his fellow red coats or else he will not be invited to any more hospitality suite visits by RD

Jag_Warrior
5th August 2007, 20:53
What if he genuinely considers Hamilton's achievements to be exceptional? It is possible.

Exactly! I mean, it's not as if rookies tend to lead the WDC with over half the season done. When Villeneuve was doing well in his rookie season, commentators went on & on about him too.

But in addition to Hamilton's achievements, I'd like to hear Hobbs' thoughts on which Honda exec he believes will put a blade to his belly.

BDunnell
5th August 2007, 20:55
Exactly! I mean, it's not as if rookies tend to lead the WDC with over half the season done. When Villeneuve was doing well in his rookie season, commentators went on & on about him too.

Indeed, as people in lots of different countries, including commentators, certainly did after Wolfgang von Trips won his first ever F1 race.

Kevincal
5th August 2007, 23:15
Yes but there's obvious SCANDEL this time around...in many peoples opinions...The crane, the ridiculous penalty against Alonso this race etc etc etc...

ClarkFan
6th August 2007, 00:42
But in addition to Hamilton's achievements, I'd like to hear Hobbs' thoughts on which Honda exec he believes will put a blade to his belly.

Especially since Hobbs owns a Honda dealership!

http://www.davidhobbs.com/index.htm

It may not be hard on sales, but the F1 failure has to be galling.

ClarkFan

mstillhere
6th August 2007, 02:42

It was about time that people would start noticing how horrible his comments (and those of his friends, too although not as much) are. I loathe them!!!
Just tell me how often you heare a commentator of any other sport showing so much bias so openly? Right! To my knowledge nobody!!
And if he is there to defend his british friends, he should quit working for an american tv station and get a job at McLaren......ooops...I mean at BBC

ten-tenths
6th August 2007, 03:20
It was about time that people would start noticing how horrible his comments (and those of his friends, too although not as much) are. I loathe them!!!
Just tell me how often you heare a commentator of any other sport showing so much bias so openly? Right! To my knowledge nobody!!
And if he is there to defend his british friends, he should quit working for an american tv station and get a job at McLaren......ooops...I mean at BBC

im with you, can't stand the announcing crew. hobbs and machette needs to be replaced.

tinchote
6th August 2007, 04:56
I agree that their commentary is annoying. I avoid them whenever I can.

Timber
6th August 2007, 05:38

I feel the same way , it is not only him but all 3 of them . They are so bias that they already said that LH has made the past of the year ....

call_me_andrew
6th August 2007, 07:05
I don't mind David Hobbs.

You don't think James Allen would be any less biased do you?

Kevincal
6th August 2007, 07:29
I mean Hobbs seems like a nice guy and all, but lately and especially this race, he was going on and on and on about Hamilton... :/ It even seemed Varsha was trying to intervene a couple times during Hobbs Lewis gushing... :P

wmcot
6th August 2007, 07:48
I think the SpeedTV crew are OK overall, but each one has his best side. I'm a little bit tired of Hobbs giving nick names to the drivers - seem rather childish.

Robinho
6th August 2007, 12:55
commentators in "talking about the leading driver in the race" shocker ;)

maybe you'd rather they told you more about Sakon Yamamoto?

or gave you some in depth detail about David Coulthards house?

or talk about playing golf with Jackie Stewart maybe?

personally i don't think i've ever heard sports commentary without an element of bias or favourites

luvracin
6th August 2007, 14:40

Try being a foreigner watching the Olympics on American TV buddy!

Do you know there are actually OTHER countries competing? And many times they do actually WIN medals too???

Wilderness
6th August 2007, 14:48
im with you, can't stand the announcing crew. hobbs and machette needs to be replaced.
Perhaps you want to got to the dark ages of having to listen to the drivel from Derek Daly, Rick DeBruhl or John Bisignano. No thanks, I'll put up with the Britania loving boys and let them jump off band wagons when the next fad comes along.

Roamy
6th August 2007, 14:57
Well Hobbs is terrible but F1 in America is terrible. We need to clean house - Hell I would bring in Bruce Flanders at least he has some excitement to him.

I cannot stand Hobbs. Many time I just mute the sound. But this year I have not watch many races but I can just imagine him blabbing incessantly about LH.

Marbles
6th August 2007, 16:05

I doubt you'd ever here Hobbs speak admiringly of any Villeneuve, Jacques or Gilles. I'm not aware of the history but I think he's got an axe to grind against that clan.

I like Varsha but find Hobbs to be annoying and I've never felt the need, as Americans often do, to cram as many people into the commentardy booth as possible... especially when it comes to adding mechanics to the mix.

I'm envious of the minimal screen graphics and low key commentators that I often come across in the Eurosport coverage of various motorsport events. I've also enjoyed the SuperV8 commentary team from Australia.

weeflyonthewall
6th August 2007, 16:23
I just wish he'd take some sinus pills. The constant nasal blockage must be impairing his brain.

ten-tenths
6th August 2007, 20:21
Perhaps you want to got to the dark ages of having to listen to the drivel from Derek Daly, Rick DeBruhl or John Bisignano. No thanks, I'll put up with the Britania loving boys and let them jump off band wagons when the next fad comes along.

are they as smug as the current lot? the current crew thinks they are so clever it makes me puke. i have listened to the announcing for moto GP and football matches in the premiereship and they at least are EXCITING to listen to. the speed crew just seems amatuerish.

Wilderness
6th August 2007, 20:43
Don't get me wrong, I think Hobbs is biased and overly heavy at times, but I don't want the broadcast team to have fake "excitment" a la Ralph Sheheen when he did WRC. John Watson/Ben Edwards also had way over excitment in their high pitch screams back in the Speedvision days. Dereck Bell was pretty level headed and didn't resort to hight pitch screems to get the point across.

kalasend
6th August 2007, 21:06
I mean Hobbs seems like a nice guy and all, but lately and especially this race, he was going on and on and on about Hamilton... :/ It even seemed Varsha was trying to intervene a couple times during Hobbs Lewis gushing... :P

You know what could be worse? Having the whole pre-race show devoted to Hamilton or Hamilton's friends/relatives. That's what ITV does.

Let's face, it is hard to find people completely unbiased towards such impressive rookie performance. But at least Speed coverage is the better of the two.

trevortherevver
6th August 2007, 21:18
I like the SpeedTV commentary crew. Maybe because I'm English and appreciate their sense of humour.

No-one is complaining about the disproportionate coverage they gave Scott Speed and you have to admit that for Hamilton to be beating Alonso in the championship in his first year of F1 is certaily something to talk about.

I don't think they go on about him too much but I can imagine that the British TV crew is way over the top.

call_me_andrew
6th August 2007, 21:26
No-one is complaining about the disproportionate coverage they gave Scott Speed and you have to admit that for Hamilton to be beating Alonso in the championship in his first year of F1 is certaily something to talk about.

I don't think Scott got that much coverage. Sometimes a camera would spot him during a race, and it sounded like they were more suprised that was still in the race.

Wilderness
6th August 2007, 21:35
I don't think Scott got that much coverage. Sometimes a camera would spot him during a race, and it sounded like they were more suprised that was still in the race.
They did give Scott Speed more attention than say, Nick Heidfeld, especially during practice, quali and the pre-race show. The SpeedTV team also made it a point to say what spot Speed was after Sector 1 at the start. Trevor makes a very good point.

BDunnell
6th August 2007, 23:16
Indeed, as people in lots of different countries, including commentators, certainly did after Wolfgang von Trips won his first ever F1 race.

Apologies for this — it suddenly struck me earlier that, of course, I meant Giancarlo Baghetti. The point stands otherwise.

I find it rather sad that some people are unable to appreciate a driver's exceptional performance for whatever reason, and criticise others for doing so on the grounds of some form of bias. I for one would be equally impressed by any rookie achieving what Hamilton has achieved this season, regardless of nationality, and would hope that many commentators recognise this also.

LTalbot
7th August 2007, 00:20
David Hobbs may be a silly old fart prone to making a few too many jovial and biased comments, but in my opinion, the trio of Hobbs, Matchett and Varsha, with Peter Windsor at the track are the Gold Standard in racing commentary, at least here in the USA. Give old Hobbs a break, if he ever left, they would probably replace him with that twit Derek Daly. Now that would be horrific!

ten-tenths
7th August 2007, 01:00
Don't get me wrong, I think Hobbs is biased and overly heavy at times, but I don't want the broadcast team to have fake "excitment" a la Ralph Sheheen when he did WRC. John Watson/Ben Edwards also had way over excitment in their high pitch screams back in the Speedvision days. Dereck Bell was pretty level headed and didn't resort to hight pitch screems to get the point across.

ha, i hate overt screamers as well, and that is not what i look for from an announcing crew.

mstillhere
7th August 2007, 02:55

I agree

blakebeatty
7th August 2007, 03:19
You should see (or hear) what we have in Canada on TSN... Yikes

jarrambide
7th August 2007, 04:20

I agree

SPEED is not the one originating the broadcast you see on SPEED, it would be a little naive to believe that every channel that is broadcasting the race has their own cameras on the whole track, there is one feed and every channel broadcasting F1 is showing the same exact feed, the only thing SPEED is originating is the preview show and obviously the comments.

blakebeatty
7th August 2007, 04:23
The feed is produced by formula 1, and sold to all networks that cover it. The commentary is provided by the network's commentary team, which basically watches the race on TV. Speed does it's own pre race show, and additionally uses the pit reporting for Peter Windsor, who is employed by Speed. Windsor also conducts the press conference for all networks.

call_me_andrew
7th August 2007, 04:34
I'm well aware of how the broadcasts operate. But they didn't make a fuss over where he appears in the running order every time the graphic comes up.

tinchote
7th August 2007, 04:34
You should see (or hear) what we have in Canada on TSN... Yikes

Most people here know: during the race TSN links with the British ITV team. The pre/post-race commentary is done in Canada, and it is rather pathetic. Worse because they prevent us from listening to Brundle's grid walk.

blakebeatty
7th August 2007, 05:10
Most people here know: during the race TSN links with the British ITV team. The pre/post-race commentary is done in Canada, and it is rather pathetic. Worse because they prevent us from listening to Brundle's grid walk.

I cannot for the life of me remember the play-by-play man's voice, Vic something. But the color man SOUNDS LIKE HE IS COMMENTATING OVER THE TELEPHONE! Just brutal!

Kevincal
7th August 2007, 06:49
I just wish he'd take some sinus pills. The constant nasal blockage must be impairing his brain.

haha...must suck to get old :P

Kevincal
7th August 2007, 06:50

oh god ralph shaheen is the WORST LOL he's soooooooooo fake...

Kevincal
7th August 2007, 06:51
I like the SpeedTV commentary crew. Maybe because I'm English and appreciate their sense of humour.

I don't think they go on about him too much but I can imagine that the British TV crew is way over the top.

well that's one thing i like is their dry english sense of humor. I find it pretty funny sometimes.

Kevincal
7th August 2007, 06:55
and of course i think Hamilton is a very good driver but he's got so many things on his side that no other rookie ever gets including the wise men conspiring for him to win no matter what, even with his talents...lol Plus he's got Alonso's setups...pfft :P (Someone throw me a flame suit or 2 :P)

tinchote
7th August 2007, 07:18
I cannot for the life of me remember the play-by-play man's voice, Vic something. But the color man SOUNDS LIKE HE IS COMMENTATING OVER THE TELEPHONE! Just brutal!

You bet he is commenting on the telephone! :laugh:

It's beyond comprehension why they don't use the ITV feed in its entirety. They are already showing the image, why wouldn't they use the audio? The only thing I can imagine would be one of our "smart" laws requiring Canadian content; if that's the case, once again my signature applies ;)

mstillhere
7th August 2007, 15:41
SPEED is not the one originating the broadcast you see on SPEED, it would be a little naive to believe that every channel that is broadcasting the race has their own cameras on the whole track, there is one feed and every channel broadcasting F1 is showing the same exact feed, the only thing SPEED is originating is the preview show and obviously the comments.

I am aware of that. The point I am tryng to make is that Scott Speed did not get much coverage.

mstillhere
7th August 2007, 15:44
well that's one thing i like is their dry english sense of humor. I find it pretty funny sometimes.

Yeah, but it's sarcastic and most of the times make fun of everybody except......LH and maybe they like Trulli too, not too sure though.....

Wilderness
7th August 2007, 16:05
I am aware of that. The point I am tryng to make is that Scott Speed did not get much coverage.
What's the basis for this claim? I think the SpeedTV team made it a point to update his progress through the race, up until retirement (usually). For being a backmarker, SS got plenty of coverage; much more than the average bottom half of the grid runner (say Alex Wurz or Anthony Davidson).

How many times did Peter Windsor interview Liuzzi, Wurz, Davidson or Sutil vs. Speed on the grid or after retiring? What more coverage do you want considering SpeedTV gets the same feed Bernie gives the rest of the world?

Mikeall
7th August 2007, 16:16
Yeah, but it's sarcastic and most of the times make fun of everybody except......LH and maybe they like Trulli too, not too sure though.....

Well they make the same joke about the "Trulli train" every race even though it hasn't been in general use in years because he hasn't qualified in front of anyone important recently, and if he has he's not really held anyone up...

CarlMetro
7th August 2007, 16:48
You don't think James Allen would be any less biased do you?

The trouble is it's not just James Allen. The whole pre-race show should really be renamed the Lewis Hamilton warm-up.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lewis. I was watching him long before he arrived in F1 and to achieve what he has already is simply astounding. Add to that the fact that he's upsetting Alonso then I couldn't be any happier if he was driving a Ferrari, but do we have to open every damn F1 programme with what Lewis had for breakfast, Lewis Hamilton sneezed three times last Tuesday or yet another interview with Lewis or his dad?

tinchote
7th August 2007, 16:55
The trouble is it's not just James Allen. The whole pre-race show should really be renamed the Lewis Hamilton warm-up.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lewis. I was watching him long before he arrived in F1 and to achieve what he has already is simply astounding. Add to that the fact that he's upsetting Alonso then I couldn't be any happier if he was driving a Ferrari, but do we have to open every damn F1 programme with what Lewis had for breakfast, Lewis Hamilton sneezed three times last Tuesday or yet another interview with Lewis or his dad?

Come on, Carl. It's a natural thing. In the past I've had to suffer that same thing in Argentina, but with Tuero and Mazzacanne! ;) :D

CarlMetro
7th August 2007, 17:11
It's actually got to the point where I don't watch the races live but record them and then skip through the first hour of the programme until I see the cars on the warm-up lap :\

jarrambide
7th August 2007, 21:25
It's actually got to the point where I don't watch the races live but record them and then skip through the first hour of the programme until I see the cars on the warm-up lap :\

You can get the exact same effect by just turning on your TV an hour later every time, no need to recorded, if the TV broadcast is going to start at say 2:00 P.M. and the race will begin at 3:00 P.M., instead of recording the race from 2:00 P.M. until 5:00 P.M. you can just turn your TV at 2:55 P.M.

But if you love recording the races you donīt need to skip anything, you can do the same, start recording 50 or 55 minutes later.

IMSAFAN1
7th August 2007, 22:16
Living here in Canada I have the option of watching both the Speed TV coverage and the James Allen and Martin Brundle coverage. I watch the Speed coverage only because they have people who know what is going on. There is nothing wrong with Hobbs and Machette. Both have been in the sport and are very knowledgeable. Hobbs being a Brit is going to be bias but there is nothing wrong with that. There hasn't been a good Brit driving since Mike Hawthorn and Steve knows the technical side of the racing. Varsha on the other hand is like other North American racing annoucers.....They talk to you like they're covering a NASCAR race. F1 fans are smarter than that.

Crypt
7th August 2007, 22:42
I am so releived this year when the SPEED crew announced the four Grand Prix televised on FOX. Sheehen is a retard. Varsha and Hobbs are a great team back and forth with Varsha's great knack for cadence and not sitting on his thumbs, and Hobbs providing endless historical facts. Machett is great with the technical stuff. The only one I think who has his head way up Louis-Town is Windsor.

On the flipside we had to endure Sheehen and FOX's coverage of the US MotoGP race, and they butchered it big time.

tinchote
8th August 2007, 00:36
Living here in Canada I have the option of watching both the Speed TV coverage and the James Allen and Martin Brundle coverage. I watch the Speed coverage only because they have people who know what is going on. There is nothing wrong with Hobbs and Machette. Both have been in the sport and are very knowledgeable. Hobbs being a Brit is going to be bias but there is nothing wrong with that. There hasn't been a good Brit driving since Mike Hawthorn and Steve knows the technical side of the racing. Varsha on the other hand is like other North American racing annoucers.....They talk to you like they're covering a NASCAR race. F1 fans are smarter than that.

I don't criticize that much what they say. But shout too much: everytime something happens (like a spin), one or two of them go "wooooooow!!!" Annoying :s On Sunday it was even worse, at a certain point none of them was saying anything, the only audio was the sounds of the engines down the straight, and one of them started "yeeeeeohhhh, yeeeeeohhhh..." with each car that passed :mad:

Another thing I hate from speed is that they show the qualy delayed by a few minutes. For those of us who watch the live timing at the same time, it's really annoying.

I'm still glad they are there though, because I can keep watching the race when TSN goes to a break.

Roamy
8th August 2007, 02:09
hey btw Tin - where are you living these days?? Man I have to go to Argentina just once in my lifetime.

Screw Hobbs we can do better!!

tinchote
8th August 2007, 02:28
hey btw Tin - where are you living these days?? Man I have to go to Argentina just once in my lifetime.

Screw Hobbs we can do better!!

Still in Regina, SK :)

Easy Drifter
8th August 2007, 16:10
If you really listen carefully to David 'obbs he slips some zingers in, in a very normal tone of voice. Don't forget also that he has spent a good part of his life in Canada and the US. At one time he lived in Bowmanville, about 10 miles from Mosport.