PDA

View Full Version : what happened to Massa?

Robinho
4th August 2007, 18:25
why was Massa so slow in qualy, he had the pace in practice and the first qually session, yet he seemed to be struggling before the pit lane cut out issue, and then on the final lap just didn't seem to have the edge to get into the top ten - i've not heard Ferrari come out with a mechanical explaination, did he have a problem or was he simply too slow or made mistakes?

i can't help but think he has lost any chance for the title now, although he's currently ahead of Raikk i can't see him making more than a couple of points without a race like last year (or last week)

even if others ahead don't get points he needs to be making up big points, today seems to have put pay to that, anyone know what happened?

VkmSpouge
4th August 2007, 18:33
I don't think it was Massa's fault he was faster in the first session by 0.6s and then his car just seemed completely awful in the second session. I also wonder why he stopped midway down the pitlane.

I don't think Massa can kiss his championship hopes goodbye just yet but both Ferrari drivers are going to need McLaren to make a mess of things if they are to win the titles.

Ian McC
4th August 2007, 18:54
Fuel rig problem

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~152400.htm

Sleeper
4th August 2007, 18:56
He knew he needed to get in a good lap at the end their or he was out, and it appiers that under pressure he reverts to the Massa of old, as Mark Blundel said, he couldnt hit an apex to save his life on that last lap.

Of course, I am guessing here.

Juppe
4th August 2007, 20:30
He knew he needed to get in a good lap at the end their or he was out, and it appiers that under pressure he reverts to the Massa of old, as Mark Blundel said, he couldnt hit an apex to save his life on that last lap.

Of course, I am guessing here.

It seems to me that the mess in the pitlane caused his tyres to cool down and after that the things just went haywire... I'm also just guessing.

Hotlavaaaa
5th August 2007, 08:57
It seems to me that the mess in the pitlane caused his tyres to cool down and after that the things just went haywire... I'm also just guessing.

I would say that your guess is spot on. His tires cooled while he was pitlane and once he got on track he didn't do a good job of getting the heat back in the tires so when he started his hot lap he had no grip.

Corny
5th August 2007, 11:51
I think his tyres cooled indeed..

Hawkmoon
5th August 2007, 12:01
What happened is that Ferrari continue to fumble the world championship into McLaren's hands.

The sooner they get Ross Brawn back the better. I don't care how much they need to pay the man, it needs to be done.

Robinho
5th August 2007, 12:08
like i said in another thread, with Ferrari and McLaren doing their best to throw it all away, BMW must be loving every minute

jens
5th August 2007, 16:53
Not only the team ruined Massa's performance in qualifying, but I'd also say that Massa's strategy in the race was quite hopeless. If you're going to make your first pit-stop after half a race, then better do not make more stops. It might have been tough on soft tyres at the end of the race, but in position, where Felipe was, it was better to take a risk than not to risk at all.

Mikeall
6th August 2007, 00:09
Massa was awful at Hungary last year, constantly spinning in the rain and only finishing ahead of Toro Rossos, Midlands and Super Aguris. Doesn't look like he's really cracked this track yet.

jso1985
6th August 2007, 02:00
the strategy clearly didn't help but Massa was clearly not caring much about todays race or he really can't drive at the Hungaroring

markabilly
6th August 2007, 02:15
First In q2 team blows it really double big time, and then a poor start and Sato was just too tough for Masa to handle

yeah that's right Sato.....till Sato pitted, it was really bad......

leopard
6th August 2007, 06:37
All of you maybe right, the halfhearted performance of Massa was accumulation of bad strategy, human error, hard track, and his disappointment over the crew started from miscommunication about fueling and cold tire which wasn’t supposed to happen to such a professional team like Ferrari if they would pay him more attention.

It sounds so naive a Ferrari can’t even make some considerable progress ahead from position started the race off, while on the contrary he has two place dropped the position off in the middle of the race.
I just hope it will not influence his attitude to keep the spirit on in the rest of season, despite the title seems to be out to reach

wmcot
6th August 2007, 08:18
It was truly a weekend for Massa to forget. At least it was better than poor Rubens who said on the team's radio that he was pushing as hard as he could and couldn't catch the car ahead - Sutil's Spyker!!!! Now THAT IS a bad weekend!!!

Robinho
6th August 2007, 13:01
terrible race, why they went for such a long stint at the start is beyond me, the an is in a very fast car, he should have started light(ish) and made the most of the 1st few laps to try to make some places. in a place where track position is King a strategy that mires you in traffic is suicide.

had he made a handful of places in a light car at the start and been quick he could have made the points, even if he's come a cropper in the opening laps making a charge through the field it would have been better than lamely following a Super Aguri round wondering what had happened. i wonder who suggested that strategy - was is Naughty Nigel Stepney ;)

Massa didn't seem to help matters, seemingly unable to make the best of a heavy car and lost places off the start, in fact he only made 1 place in the whole race, and i didn't see him make a pass on track, in fact he only gained a place from Davidsons retirement - not a great weekend

555-04Q2
6th August 2007, 16:02
Fuel rig problem

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~152400.htm

Indeed :up: And when he finally got out there his tyre pressure was below optimum temperature and pressure ratings, hence his slow lap time.