PDA

View Full Version : Sutil in at Spyker

ArrowsFA1
21st December 2006, 11:08
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56078

Sorry to say, but I know nothing about him :dozey:

Giuseppe F1
21st December 2006, 11:10
Seems Kolles got his way in the end - more quick Germans in F1...

http://www.f1racing.net/en/index.php

Sutil, 23 from Munich, Germany, drove three Grand Prix Friday`s for Spyker in 2006 while concentrating on winning the tough and prestigious Japanese F3 Championship for the Tom`s Toyota team. In 2005 Adrian was runner-up to Champion and ASM team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the European F3 series.

Destined to follow his Uruguayan-born father into a musical career, Adrian trained and practised as a concert pianist until he was 14: "when I discovered karting. From that moment on the sound of racing engines was the only music I wanted to hear. I really enjoyed being in the F1 Paddock this year", continued Adrian, "and to be honest I thought I would be a test driver in 2007. Colin Kolles and Michiel Mol have been fantastically patient and supportive while this package became reality. I look forward to repaying their faith in me but right now I`m just going to enjoy the best Christmas present ever."

Colin Kolles, Spyker F1 Team Principal: "This is a great signing for team but also a proud one for me personally. Adrian made his F3 debut with Team Kolles in 2004 and quite obviously had huge potential when he scored his first pole position in his third race. He has driven for two great teams since then and matured very quickly. Everyone at Spyker was hugely impressed when he drove for us in 2006 which is why we have worked long and hard to get him in the race team."

Ranger
21st December 2006, 11:19
Forgive for being cynical, but:

Mol claimed that Sutil's long-term contract with the team was indicative of the team's commitment to F1.

Long term contract??

What logic is there in that?? For someone who has proved nothing amidst drivers who should get their chance to get into the sport?

555-04Q2
21st December 2006, 11:28
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56078

Sorry to say, but I know nothing about him :dozey:

Neither do I. Wonder if he will be any good :?:

jens
21st December 2006, 11:45
Sutil has been pretty quick at friday free practice's, I remember him once putting his MF1 up to 12th or 13th in the rankings (or was it even 7th? :dozey: ). And he has won Japanese F3 this year. I don't think he will be a weaker exchange to Monteiro, maybe even better.

ShiftingGears
21st December 2006, 12:23
Sutil has been pretty quick at friday free practice's, I remember him once putting his MF1 up to 12th or 13th in the rankings (or was it even 7th? :dozey: ). And he has won Japanese F3 this year. I don't think he will be a weaker exchange to Monteiro, maybe even better.

But long-term contract??

SuperAguri
21st December 2006, 13:33

Montagny did the same thing in arguably a worse car, but he only got a testing role. Shame, but I think Sutil is pretty good actually, I'm looking forward to seeing if Albers can match him.

I'm glad to see Monteiro out in a bizarre way. I didn't think he performed too well in 2006.

VkmSpouge
21st December 2006, 14:34
Good luck to Sutil, I hope he has a good year in 2007.

Sleeper
21st December 2006, 14:42
But long-term contract??
Makes sense, if he turns out to be a genious behind the wheel then a top team will have to buy out his contract, meaning Spyker get money from it.

Good decision IMO, he outperformed the Midland/Spyker drivers this year on the occasions he got into the car, and I believe they were the only times he has ever driven an F1 car. He's no superstar but he's one of these drivers that doesnt let his head go down.

vivaldi
21st December 2006, 15:29
Germany have now four Formula 1 racedrivers Ralf Schumacher, Nick Heidfeld ,Nico Rosberg and Adrian Sutil(Thank you Spyker) !They also have two BMW testdrivers Timo Glock and Sebastian Vettel!

"The German Formula 1 Domination Tour 2007" can begin !!!

I like it !!!

The same thing then every year !!!!

carrera66
21st December 2006, 16:04
Any news on who their test driver will be? I hear maybe Ernesto Viso?

Dave B
21st December 2006, 17:35
He's been quick on Fridays, and maybe Spyker saw what Kubica did at BMW. I'm surprised at this "long-term" business though - I suspect there are watertight performance clauses just in case.

SuperAguri
21st December 2006, 18:16
What about this 'shoot-out' between several candidates that Spyker was planning?

gjalie
21st December 2006, 20:55
Any news on who their test driver will be? I hear maybe Ernesto Viso?

Winkelhock has a good chance.

Oli_M
22nd December 2006, 02:36
Sounds like a good signing. I'll be honest and say the only thing I have seen of him is in F1 practise. At a guess the "long term contract" would be 2 years .... like has been suggested, so if he proves quick a bigger team can buy him out of it.

So where does this put Tiago? Heading for GP2? Champ Car? Doubt he would want the Spyker 3rd driver seat (is that pretty much the only seat left now??)

harsha
22nd December 2006, 02:53
some people had a pretty high opinion of Montiero not so long ago :dozey:

Ranger
22nd December 2006, 03:54
So that makes 7 Germans in F1 next year:

Rosberg
Schumacher
Heidfeld
Sutil

as well as:

Glock
Vettel
and probably Ammermueller

Where in God's name do they keep coming from???

ioan
22nd December 2006, 10:17
So that makes 7 Germans in F1 next year:

Where in God's name do they keep coming from???

There are 80+ millions of them in Germany! :D

janneppi
22nd December 2006, 10:38
There are 80+ millions of them in Germany! :D
To compete with us Finns for drivers per capita, they still need another 25. :p :

ArrowsFA1
22nd December 2006, 11:26
This news is certainly tough on Montiero. His performances were certainly no worse than Albers, and were arguably better :dozey:

Ranger
22nd December 2006, 11:38
This news is certainly tough on Montiero. His performances were certainly no worse than Albers, and were arguably better :dozey:

The only notable performance from either Albers or Monteiro was Alber's drive for 10th place in Turkey, before he proceeded to bin it.

Not really enough to justify why Albers should stay whilst Monteiro shouldn't, though I suppose marketing had a bit to do with that, as well as the fact that Spyker wanted a new mug in there for whatever reason.

Mikeall
22nd December 2006, 13:55
For one thing Albers is Dutch and his sponsors he attracts (Dutch sponsors) will probably be willing to uincrease their investment in a Dutch team. Maybe the same didn't apply for the sponsors Monteiro was attracting. Anyway Adrian Sutil is Colin Kolles' protegee whereas Monteiro was always one of Trevor Carlin's. I'm not sure how much that came into it but it may have been a factor.

The influence of Michael Schumcher on encouraging youn German drivers has never been more clear.

Pedro Gonçalves
22nd December 2006, 15:05
The only notable performance from either Albers or Monteiro was Alber's drive for 10th place in Turkey, before he proceeded to bin it.

Just for the record, you forgot the 9º place of Monteiro in Hungary :confused: ... And if it wasn't for the steward's :mad: , having qualifying Michael Schumacher, he (Tiago) should have been in 8º place... :(

jens
22nd December 2006, 19:06
As much as I followed the deeds of the MF1/Spyker duo this year, then Albers usually outpaced Monteiro both in the qualifyings and in the races. And the Dutchman definetely seems more promising, so seems logical that Tiago had to go. Tiago's main strength is driving in wet conditions (last year 8th in Belgium and this year's Hungarian GP was one of the rare cases he managed to beat Albers).

But Monteiro has a slight chance of joining STR.

Pedro Gonçalves
22nd December 2006, 19:45
In a team where the major sponsors are Dutch, i don't see the interest in see a good perfomance from Tiago :rolleyes: !

rlenis
22nd December 2006, 21:54
Tiago is rumored for one of the Toro Rosso sits. That would be a pity if it happened. I think Liuzzi has more talent and Speed has a lot more to offer.

jso1985
22nd December 2006, 22:02
Monteiro dissapointed me this year, he had more experience with the team yet even if he was faster than Albers sometimes, most of time he was just erratic, crashed quite often and IMO didn't prove he deserved another year

stevie_gerrard
22nd December 2006, 23:27
Personally i preferrred Monteiro, worked his socks off for Midland/Spyker. But we will see how this unknown gets on (sorry, but i really havent heard of him before, i cant remember him testing last season)

gjalie
24th December 2006, 17:47
Qualifying Battles 2006
Team Driver Vs Driver
Renault-Renault Alonso 10 - 6 Fisichella
McLaren-Mercedes Raikkonen 13 - 3 Montoya / de la Rosa
Ferrari-Ferrari M Schumacher 13 - 3 Massa
Toyota-Toyota R Schumacher 10 - 6 Trulli
Williams-Cosworth Webber 11 - 5 Rosberg
Honda-Honda Barrichello 8 - 8 Button
Red Bull-Ferrari Coulthard 9 - 7 Klien / Doornbos
BMW-Sauber Heidfeld 8 - 8 Villeneuve / Kubica
Midland-Toyota Monteiro 6 - 10 Albers
Toro Rosso-Cosworth Liuzzi 10 - 6 Speed
Super Aguri-Honda Sato 14 - 2 Ide / Mon / Yam

Average Finishing Positions 2006
Pos Driver Team Engine Tyre Position
1 Alonso Renault Renault M 2.00
2 M Schumacher Ferrari Ferrari B 2.47
3 Raikkonen McLaren Mercedes M 3.50
4 Montoya McLaren Mercedes M 4.00
5 Fisichella Renault Renault M 4.64
6 de la Rosa McLaren Mercedes M 4.75
7 Massa Ferrari Ferrari B 4.86
8 Button Honda Honda M 5.58
9 Barrichello Honda Honda M 7.54
10 R Schumacher Toyota Toyota B 8.30
11 Heidfeld BMW-Sauber BMW M 8.31
12 Webber Williams Cosworth B 8.71
13 Kubica BMW-Sauber BMW M 9.33
14 Coulthard Red Bull Ferrari M 9.46
15 Trulli Toyota Toyota B 9.75
16 Villeneuve BMW-Sauber BMW M 9.75
17 Rosberg Williams Cosworth B 9.88
18 Klien Red Bull Ferrari M 11.00
19 Liuzzi Toro Rosso Cosworth M 11.83
20 Doornbos Red Bull Ferrari M 12.00
21 Speed Toro Rosso Cosworth M 12.17
22 Ide Super Aguri Honda B 13.00
23 Albers Midland Toyota B 13.22
24 Monteiro Midland Toyota B 14.22
25 Sato Super Aguri Honda B 15.25
26 Yamamoto Super Aguri Honda B 16.00
27 Montagny Super Aguri Honda B 16.67

Albers was better in Quali and finished overall a position better than Monteiro those are the facts Pedro!]

haha Ide didn't do so bad.

Pedro Gonçalves
26th December 2006, 17:33
If you say so, but it's missing some information in that, like the times Tiago didn't finish because a car failure or human mistake (caused by him or another driver :mark: ), not to mention that the car suck's :down: ...

This reminds me of Alonso when he was at Minardi :rolleyes: ...

jso1985
27th December 2006, 01:34
But Alonso was clearly faster than Marques/Yoong!

Not saying Monteiro sucks but he didn't really prove he's better than Albers, and with Dutch sponsor the choice between quite equal drivers was quite obvious

gjalie
27th December 2006, 15:06
If you say so, but it's missing some information in that, like the times Tiago didn't finish because a car failure or human mistake (caused by him or another driver :mark: ), not to mention that the car suck's :down: ...

This reminds me of Alonso when he was at Minardi :rolleyes: ...

as if albers didn't had his fair share of bad luck (for example 3 engine changes in a row.)

Pedro Gonçalves
27th December 2006, 17:09
Yes, i agree with you, Monteiro didn't prove he was better, but neither did Albers... At least in race... And bad luck, Monteiro had is share... But its part of racing...

As for Marques/ Yoong, they remind me Karthikayen... In the same way Monteiro outpaced NK, Alonso did the same with the team mates... Imagine if Alonso had Webber instead of those guys, with would be nice to see...

I sincerily hope that Monteiro get's the place in Toro Rosso...

agwiii
28th December 2006, 03:12
Average Finishing Positions 2006

Pos Driver Team Engine Tyre Position

18 Klien Red Bull Ferrari M 11.00
19 Liuzzi Toro Rosso Cosworth M 11.83
20 Doornbos Red Bull Ferrari M 12.00
21 Speed Toro Rosso Cosworth M 12.17

Hum. Which is the A Team, and which is the B Team?

jso1985
29th December 2006, 00:06
Yes, i agree with you, Monteiro didn't prove he was better, but neither did Albers... At least in race... And bad luck, Monteiro had is share... But its part of racing...

As for Marques/ Yoong, they remind me Karthikayen... In the same way Monteiro outpaced NK, Alonso did the same with the team mates... Imagine if Alonso had Webber instead of those guys, with would be nice to see...

I sincerily hope that Monteiro get's the place in Toro Rosso...

I still think Alonso could have trashed down Webber, but that's another story...
Agree I hope Monteiro gets the Toro Rosso seat, I can't stand Liuzzi!

Pedro Gonçalves
29th December 2006, 16:54
I still think Alonso could have trashed down Webber, but that's another story...
Agree I hope Monteiro gets the Toro Rosso seat, I can't stand Liuzzi!

It's getting dificult for him to have a place next season... But i don't know nothing... The way i see it, everything is possible...