PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or......................

Ian McC
2nd August 2007, 20:25
...........is this place not once it was?

Race day used to spark lively debate with many contributing in different threads. Now quite often you can almost see the cyber tumbleweed at times, we've even reached the point where people are trying to come up with rumours about 2008 :s

So is it the BTCC that isn't the same, or this forum?

nicemms
2nd August 2007, 20:49
Your right, it does seem quieter. The racing and rivalary is still there,Plato and Neal and Plato and Giovanardi, so I think it must be the forum thats not the same anymore.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd August 2007, 20:49
It sounds trivial, but I feel the move from Motors TV to Setanta has had an effect. Many armchair fans now no longer get to watch the races live. I survived two BTCC weekends, before giving in and subscribing.

Satellite Television Moneymen 1 - 0 BeansBeansBeans

BDunnell
2nd August 2007, 21:02
I reckon there have been fewer controversial incidents this year for people to start debates about. I blame the departure of Rob Collard from the series.

Certainly, I don't think that the lack of chat about the BTCC this year (I agree that it seems a bit quiet) reflects badly on the championship. Far from it — in my view, this is the best season for some time.

Ian McC
2nd August 2007, 21:08
Far from it — in my view, this is the best season for some time.

Thinking about it, pickems this year has been the hardest to predict I think since I have been on here.

Iain
2nd August 2007, 21:15
It sounds trivial, but I feel the move from Motors TV to Setanta has had an effect. Many armchair fans now no longer get to watch the races live. I survived two BTCC weekends, before giving in and subscribing.

Satellite Television Moneymen 1 - 0 BeansBeansBeans

We used to have some good debates on here before Motors appeared though. All we had was a webcam which was focusing on the Octagon CSi TV footage, live timing from MST and live Toca Radio which was streaming. If we still had the radio coverage, I imagine we'd have more to talk about. Now all we can do is speculate on what's happened by noticing someone's a lap down or hasn't completed a lap on the live timing.

To be honest, I'm glad it's calmed down a bit. I can't be doing with all the driver bashing that used to go on a lot of the time. It got very tiresome. :s No wonder they all got scared off from posting.

nicemms
2nd August 2007, 21:17
The series is much better this year - its harder to know whose gonna win races. It could be Plato,Turner, Giovanardi, Turkington, Shedden, Neal, Jackson or even someone else!

BDunnell
2nd August 2007, 21:28
To be honest, I'm glad it's calmed down a bit. I can't be doing with all the driver bashing that used to go on a lot of the time. It got very tiresome. :s No wonder they all got scared off from posting.

:up:

More important is the fact that circuit attendances look very healthy, which is a better mark of a championship's success.

BTCC2
2nd August 2007, 22:43
I have certainly contributed far less psots this year as there hasn't been to many intersting threads.

AlexD
2nd August 2007, 23:49
Oddly, the best season in about nine years

Alfa Fan
3rd August 2007, 10:12
Probabily because there aren't low grid numbers, lack of variety of cars, lack of good drivers in the series, etc, etc to complain about this year!

Allyc85
3rd August 2007, 16:56
I dont think the whole forum has been the same since the make over a while back. The f1 and rallying sections are buzzing all the time but the others are quieter than they were.

Anyway I still like it on here, so unfortunatly for you lot im going no where lol

reidy_fan
3rd August 2007, 20:40
agree this forum used to be buzzing all season and there used to be some great banter plus what has happened to loads of the regular guys, havent seen any posts from Verity, susy (daves oh) beans, knockie etc in ages. I know I only post a fraction of what i used to do. even btcc.net is busier these days

guess forums go through these stages

SEATFreak
4th August 2007, 19:51
Two pointers I noticed:

Thinking about it, pickems this year has been the hardest to predict I think since I have been on here.

The series is much better this year - its harder to know whose gonna win races. It could be Plato,Turner, Giovanardi, Turkington, Shedden, Neal, Jackson or even someone else!

Every time I try predict the winner I always pick Jase or Fabrizio Giovanardi. But somewhere at the back of my mind always seems to lurk Neal, Shedden, Turkington or even Jackson or John George as possible winners. And indeed most of them have won races. Neal and Shedden have won 1 and 2 respectively, Turks has won 2 (3 if it weren't for being underweight at Snetterton) and Jackson has won 1.

But part I rekon is the strength of the Independents too. Who would have predicted John George posting the fastest time of the day at Snetterton? Though it is Priaulx's title winning WTCC car from last yeat, who would have predicted Mat Jackson doing what he has done in it?

I think that is why it is sad this forum tends now to be so quiet. Because their is in actual fact so much to talk about.

Iain
4th August 2007, 20:34
I think the fact that there are no longer really any big forum gatherings at the races make a difference too. Back in the day there used to be pages and pages of what we thought of the races, what we saw and other random banter, but it's gone away from that now and it's more or less just people who don't know eachother chatting online. :)

Mark
4th August 2007, 20:35
Used to be I could not get motors tv. But I get sentanta included!

Iain
4th August 2007, 20:41
It's not Sentanta, banana, sultana or Santana. :p :

nicemms
4th August 2007, 21:08
I think the fact that there are no longer really any big forum gatherings at the races make a difference too. Back in the day there used to be pages and pages of what we thought of the races, what we saw and other random banter, but it's gone away from that now and it's more or less just people who don't know eachother chatting online. :)

I would love to have a forum gathering. Be nice to put a few faces to names. The only person I have met from here is Mbailey unless I have seen some of you and not known who it was!

SEATFreak
5th August 2007, 08:44
I would love to have a forum gathering. Be nice to put a few faces to names. The only person I have met from here is Mbailey unless I have seen some of you and not known who it was!

Have you ever been to Croft?

Alfa Fan
5th August 2007, 15:34
John George a potential winner? I think thats stretching it a bit (no offense to John)

SEATFreak
5th August 2007, 17:05
John George a potential winner? I think thats stretching it a bit (no offense to John)

Would you mind stretching me Alfa Fan? Or hit me with a large hammer or large old fish? Because I want to find out which is the lost likely to knock some sense into me!

Or atleast can anyone please explain the reason for confusing John George with Mike Jordan when neither name bares any remote resemblance to each other? I am always saying John George when I mean to say Mike Jordan. :(

Actually John has done OK at times too. Points in the second race at Rockingham and Croft and has gotten close to scoring points on a few ocassions. But nothing like Mike Jordan.

Appologies for the consusion before I did myself further down.

nicemms
5th August 2007, 19:37
Have you ever been to Croft?

Yeah I've been to Croft. Love it there. Went in 2006 but couldn't this year because of exams!

El Sween
5th August 2007, 23:34
I don't post as much as I used to about BTCC. Just don't really have anything to say.

SEATFreak
6th August 2007, 11:06
Yeah I've been to Croft. Love it there. Went in 2006 but couldn't this year because of exams!

You would have then certainly seen me in 2006. Or in any year you went between and including 01' and 05'.

It could be the fact I am easily pleased but my interest in going is certainly still as passionate as before so nothing to me has diminished even slightly. As far as I am concerned the top drivers are still as competitive and their is Indepdendent drivers who are frankly doing their class proud by being equally as competive but in a significantly smaller setup to Vauxhall, SEAT or even Team RAC or Team Dynamics.

You wouldn't think to look at his consistency Mat Jacksons Jackson Motorsport team are a family run outfit. Only the name gives it away. Though they do have a WTCC championship winning car.

And what about Team Eurotech with their support from John Guest? They have raced, and perhaps still race, TVR Tuscans, Eurocars and the British and FiA GT's but is their size still smaller than that of Team Dynamics or WSR? Because if so it is amazing and I congratulate them.

Ian McC
6th August 2007, 23:41
Would you mind stretching me Alfa Fan?

:eek:

I had to read that one twice!

:s ailor: :s ailor: :s ailor:

IT_WASN'T_ME
7th August 2007, 10:19
The amount of posting I do has reduced since the Pickem's changed. I used to enjoy the old format of the 'Pickem's', where positional points were accumulated and not ranking points etc. It used to be much more interesting. Subsequently because I no longer do the Pickem's I hardly post anymore. How active is the pickem's now compared to a few seasons ago? Is it quieter now, like these forums are?

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2007, 10:41
Since Muller left, there is nothing to talk about :s

Robinho
7th August 2007, 13:03
!

Or atleast can anyone please explain the reason for confusing John George with Mike Jordan when neither name bares any remote resemblance to each other? I am always saying John George when I mean to say Mike Jordan. :(

they both have the same sound in them (JORdan and GEORge) if selt differently.

i wouldn't worry too much, i often say Tomato when i mean Strawberry (or is it the other way round?), a trait i have no explaination for!

and don't get me started on Morgan Freeman and Samuel L Jackson!!!

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2007, 13:06
It's because they both drive white Integras.

SEATFreak
7th August 2007, 13:34
i wouldn't worry too much, i often say Tomato when i mean Strawberry (or is it the other way round?), a trait i have no explaination for!

:rotflmao:

You say tomato, I say strawberry. Shall we call the whole thing of Robhino?

You ought to get the divorce papers in about 4 weeks unless I book us a room at RELATE. :laugh:

I did rekon to that but it is hard to confuse TH's with Team Eurotech.

Spot on I rekon.

Iain
7th August 2007, 14:39
Alan: Morning, Sophie. You're not a man, are you?

Sophie: No. Would you settle this month's bill, please?

Alan: [Taking the bill from her] Right. Eight pounds "Miscellaneous Services". That sounds disconcertingly vague.

Sophie: [Smirking slightly] You used this pay channel [Writes something down on the bill in front of him]

Alan: Ah, right, yeah. It's very confusing.

[Sophie turns away to hide her laughter.]

Alan: Sophie, I find the pay channels very confusing. Can I just explain? I was trying to access 'Driving Miss Daisy'.

Sophie: [Turning back] Oh, right. And that's why you only watched it for fifteen minutes?

Alan: Yes, because it was the wrong film. Have you seen it, is it good?

Sophie: What, 'Driving Miss Daisy' or 'Bangkok Chick-boys?'

Alan: [Sternly] 'Driving Miss Daisy'. Is it a good film?

Sophie: I don't know, I haven't seen it. Was 'Bangkok Chick-boys' good?

Alan: I don't know, I didn't see it. I couldn't see it because I was in the bathroom.

[Ben arrives.]

Sophie: Oh, Ben. Mr. Partridge was just saying that he couldn't see 'Bangkok Chick-boys' from his bathroom.

Ben: Well you can if you angle the mirror by the door. Do you want me to show you?

Alan: No! I only watched it for five minutes. The remote control's confusing.

[Sophie smiles at Ben.]

Ben: Oh, what you will have done is, when it flashed up on your screen, "Do you want to watch Bangkok Chick-boys?" you must have pressed the button that said "yes".

Alan: Yeah, well, as I say, it's very confusing.

Ben: Do you want me to come up and show you the button that says "no"?

Alan: Yes. I mean, yes, I want you to come up and show me the button that says "no".

Ben: Oh, and I'll show you that mirror thing.

Alan: No. [To Sophie] Look, do you want me to settle this bill?

Sophie: Er, no. I mean, yes! You're right, it is confusing, isn't it?

Alan: [Sternly] Yes.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2007, 15:04
Michael: Hello Mr.Partridge. Drink?

Alan: Yes have you any tonic water?

Michael: ..aye...

Alan: with some ice......

Alan: and a segment of lemon........

Alan: and could you top it up with some Gordan's gin?

Michael: (confused)...aye...gin and tonic?

Alan: Yeah...that's right

Iain
7th August 2007, 15:55
What's that got to do with being confused? :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2007, 16:13
Steve: Alan!

Alan: I'm confused!!! :confused: How long have we been drinking for?

Steve: About 3/4 of an hour

Alan: I think I'll go to my room and lean on the sink. I have a little bit of sick

Michael: MR. PARTRIDGE, THAT'S THE KITCHENS !!!

Alan: I'm going to cook all the food.

Steve: Alan, this is a hotel!

Alan: Yeah, a 3 star.....

(Alan staggers drunkenly into the hotel kitchens)

CarlMetro
7th August 2007, 16:35
Well what Alan Partridge sketches have to do with this thread is beyond me, but each to their own :\

I think this particular section of the forum has become a lot quieter since I first joined. Despite the number of cars rising, there seems to be less to talk about than there used to be, although I have little or no interest in the 'Rumours' thread.

One thing which I have found rather disappointing over ecent times is the habbit of only allowing one thread about each meeting where everything has to be discussed and if another thread is started about an incident at that meeting then it's merged with the main thread. I understand the reasons why the mods do it, because it enables them to monitor easier, but I still don't like it.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2007, 16:43
One thing which I have found rather disappointing over ecent times is the habbit of only allowing one thread about each meeting where everything has to be discussed and if another thread is started about an incident at that meeting then it's merged with the main thread. I understand the reasons why the mods do it, because it enables them to monitor easier, but I still don't like it.

Either do I :mad:

You don't get to have a conversation on one conjoined thread as everyone is talking about different things. You get better debates when the topic is more specific. In reality you get.......'the best of boast worlds' :p

SEATFreak
5th September 2008, 17:15
Either do I :mad:

You don't get to have a conversation on one conjoined thread as everyone is talking about different things. You get better debates when the topic is more specific. In reality you get.......'the best of boast worlds' :p

Y'know no matter how much I read it I still get confused!! :s

Always wanted to say that.

Nobody is confused now! :laugh:

Ian McC
9th November 2008, 08:59
Y'know no matter how much I read it I still get confused!! :s

Always wanted to say that.

Nobody is confused now! :laugh:

Did you honestly spend a year trying to work that one out? :p

Eurotech
10th November 2008, 17:04

Morgan Freeman and Samuel L Jackson don't drive white Integras, Oh no wait I see, lol :D