PDA

View Full Version : Heard a rumour, involving Damon Hill!

FIA
31st July 2007, 21:41
Is it true Damon Hill is going tom commentate for the Hungarian GP? If it's true (and he replaces Brundle), Why does Brundle not commentate for the Hungarian GP (Davidson Last Year).

El Sween
1st August 2007, 00:41
Yes it is true. I believe Brundle quite simply takes a family holiday.

ShiftingGears
1st August 2007, 06:44
I'm looking forward to hearing Damon commentate!

wmcot
1st August 2007, 08:40
Did Brundle do something to get banned from Hungary??? ;) Sounds like a sinister plot involving white powder and technical manuals to me...

F1MAN2007
1st August 2007, 11:26
Did Brundle do something to get banned from Hungary??? ;) Sounds like a sinister plot involving white powder and technical manuals to me...

:laugh:

wedge
1st August 2007, 12:30
Why can't he take a break during the 3 week break?

FIA
1st August 2007, 13:03
James Allen never takes a break, (Other than reading the take a break magazine before races)

BDunnell
1st August 2007, 14:16
That's a wonderful image, though I'd always viewed him as more of a Chat man myself.

sonic_roadhog
1st August 2007, 14:33
wonder if he'll be as funny as Alan Jones in Aus '95 I think it was! the guy was legend!

Drew
2nd August 2007, 16:12
Shame that Brundle has to go on holiday instead of JA. I'd love there to be a story that Brundle was banned from Hungary due to some drunken antics and trying to overthrow the government, or something :p :

wedge
4th August 2007, 14:41
Great job Damon! Very enjoyable commentary as if he was doing it for years. Very good rapport with James, they were on the same wavelength immediately.

:up:

rohanweb
4th August 2007, 18:43

Good joke for the day mate.. heheheh..
oh i dont want Jean Todt to see your message, he might just take Brundle to court..accused ;)

VkmSpouge
4th August 2007, 18:44
Why can't he take a break during the 3 week break?

Lets face it. If you're going to miss one grand prix all year you might as make it the Hungarian Grand Prix.

philipbain
4th August 2007, 19:31
I think its just a case that Martin has always had the dispensation in his contract with ITV to miss one race a year, he used to miss Canada so he could compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours and since he ceased to do Le Mans he has taken the Hungarian weekend off, which is probably the best one to take off as a) its in the middle of summer and b) the Hungarian GP has more often than not been a snoozefest.

The year before last Mark Blundell filled in and last year Anthony Davidson superbly deputised, if the racr driver thing doesnt go well for Little Ant I think he would make an excellent commentator and pundit.

Obvioiusly Little Ant is racing (and got past Q1 too, which is much better than the factory Hondas did!!) this season and Damon Hill seems to be a great replacement, he has loads of knowledge and doesnt often hold back with his opinions (his frank appraisal of Button's current situation for example during qualifying). Looking forward to the race tomorrow.

stevie_gerrard
4th August 2007, 23:22
It was interesting to hear what Damon had to say, it was like your own personal insight into the world of f1, very enjoyable to listen to :) :up:

Spoonbender
5th August 2007, 00:31
James Allen never takes a break, (Other than reading the take a break magazine before races)

Oh how we wish James Allen would take a break :) a permenant one.
(waiting for those who love him to have a go at me :) )

AndySpeed
5th August 2007, 18:50
With a few more races Damon could be a lot better. It showed that he was a bit of a commentating-novice, and on occasion he never fully answered JA's questions but I think that was more down to Allen always asking him questions, rather than focusing on the action on track or giving us insights into the teams/strategies or current drivers!

911_GT3
5th August 2007, 20:23
Great commentating by Damon, I would like to see him be a permant comentator for F1 races, he certainly does know what he's talking about and adds the odd bit of humor during it. He said Alonso could be further up the grid if he didnt do that naughty thing yesterday :laugh:

tinchote
6th August 2007, 04:59
I have to say that I really didn't like DH's commentary that much. For a former WDC, I would have expected some more depth. I have to admit, though, that the race was so dull that there was probably not that much to say. But, for example, I found it way more interesting both when Button and Davidson commented for ITV a couple years ago.

Hawkmoon
6th August 2007, 05:49
I found Hill's commentary to be more of "casual conversation" style rather than an informative one. You could tell he wasn't used to commentating as he stumbled over his words a few times and said "ah" a bit too much but, all-in-all, I didn't mind it. With a bit of practice I think he could make a decent colour commentator.

oily oaf
6th August 2007, 07:29
Personally I would have loved to have seen Damon's old man, the late great Graham get the gig.
His in depth analysis of the aerodynamic properties of the grid girls and female spectators would have been most informative :s mokin:

As for his progeny. I thought he did a pretty good job all in all and managed to keep me awake for long periods at a time and at least we were spared the desperate cringe fest that is Martin "no bugger wants to talk to me" Brundle's poxy grid walk..

Good work scruffy, grey bearded type fella!