PDA

View Full Version : Formula one

Ar54ad
31st July 2007, 17:13
Hiya i am intrested into doing formula one as my career i know it is going be hard work to be a pro but is there anyone know where do i start from if i want to become a forumula one pro and i willing to work hard. I am 15 years old and is that a late age if you want to be a formula one pro

Roamy
31st July 2007, 17:32
get a go kart and get into the right program - if you are any good you will need mentors and sponsors and good teams. It is very expensive to reach the top. Many careers are lost due to the inability to hook up with a professional team. If you can win in karts consistently then move to FF or FMazda as soon as possible. Once there you will know if you have the talent to proceed.

Womble
31st July 2007, 19:01
Good luck dude.

Ar54ad
31st July 2007, 20:00
About how much will it be and what do mean it will be expensive to reach to the top

ChrisS
31st July 2007, 20:25
It would be good if you did some karting before moving to cars but at 15 maybe its a bit late. First thing you should do is sign up for a racing school, many circuits run racing schools.

After you learn the basics in racing school and if you still think you are good enough to continue then you move to Formula Ford. at this level of Formula racing you will have to buy your rides. You need to have someone who is willing to spend a lot of cash for you, if you are lucky and have a rich dad who is willing to pay then great, otherwise you need to find someone to sponsor you. Where are you from BTW? If you are from a country with good racing infrastructure you can do all this locally if not then you will have to move to a country like the UK or somewhere else where they have established racing series. Once you raced for a while you buy seat in a higher Formula (Formula Renault or similar level)

After racing at this level it will be obvious if you have the talent to continue or not. by then you will probably have more knowledge than me about what comes next but I'll post the entire latter up to F1 just to give you a better picture of how difficult this is.

After Formula Renault and if have the talent and the money, you can get a ride in a Formula 3 team (British or European Formula 3 is where you want to be to make it to F1)

if you are an exceptional driver F1 teams will take notice of you by now, if you are nothing special but have money you can still go on. Lots and lots of money may buy you a seat at a higher level formula (GP2 being the top but there is also Euroseries 3000, World Series by Renault)

Next comes F1. there are only 22 (24 in 2008) drivers in F1 to make you need either to be an exceptional driver or be an average driver with millions in sponsorship money

And thats about it :p to get started you can probably contact your country's automotive association for information about racing schools.

Alternatively you can buy rFactor, download an F1 mod and pretend you are an F1 driver on your PC ;) :p

ChrisS
31st July 2007, 20:44
About how much will it be and what do mean it will be expensive to reach to the top

£50K-£100K for Formula Ford
£200K-£250K for Formula Renault
£350K-£500K for F3

Its rumoured that Yamamoto paid more than £10mil to get the Spyker F1 seat

CCFanatic
31st July 2007, 21:03
It would be good if you did some karting before moving to cars but at 15 maybe its a bit late. First thing you should do is sign up for a racing school, many circuits run racing schools.

It is not too late. Look at Robert Doornbos. He was 18 when he made the move from tennis to racing. Never set foot in karts.

It all depends on where you are from.

US-
15: Karts. Do something local. Maybe some WKA races and some Stars of Karting races. Rotax Regional series are pretty good series also.
16: Karts. Move up to a Regional or National level. Go to a Skip Barber Racing School. Or take you Formula BMW test at Estroil.
17: Karts. National level. Or! Get into cars. At this point Skip Barber National Series would be good. Or do like Vettel or Rosberg and race Formula BMW USA.
18: Progress up to Star Mazda or CCAtlantics. Maybe make the move to Europe(which is the best thing) and race Formula Renault 1.6 or 2.0.
19: If you are still in the US, you are in the CCAtlantics. If you are in Europe, you should be in F3 or Renault World Series.
20: If you are in America still, you should be in CCWS or CCAtlantics for a third season. If in Europe, stay in F3, maybe F3 Euroseries if not there already, or stay in WSR.
21: If in the US, you are in CCWS. If in Europe, you are moving up to GP2.
22: You are in either CCWS or in GP2. Or you could move to DTM like Gary Paffett and Giancarlo Fisichella.
23: GP2 or CCWS. Possible test with a Formula One team.
24: Test driver in F1, with possible seat in GP2
25: You are finally a Formula One driver. After you and your family spending millions of dollars you are finally there. Congrates and let me buy you a drink.

It does not matter how old you are. Tiago Montiero was in his 20's when he started racing altogether. Just try. Even if you never make it to F1 and still are a professional racer, you have actually suceeded. You have achieved the success and dreams that most on this forum have tried to achieve. I am in the same boat as you. I am gunning for Champ Car as the place I really want to race and am in what I but on the time chart as Age 17. The Skip Barber National Championship.

But over everything else, know what you are getting into and make sure this is what you want to do. My brother was a great karter, but he nver really enjoyed it and is now in school to become a teacher.

CCFanatic
31st July 2007, 22:11
If you are in Europe

15: Karts. My only experience in karts in Europe was a one off British Superkarts race. Stay local this year. Maybe, if funding alows, try a national event.
16: Karts. Go regional.
17: Karts. Go national. If funding alows, go to Johnaton Palmers school.
18: Forumula Palmer Audi's. Or British Formula Renault 1.6 or 2.0.
18: Formula Reanult Euroseries or British F3.
19: British F3 or F3 Euroseries.
20: WSR or F3 Euroseries. Maybe move to US to race.
21: WSR or GP2. If in US, maybe CCAtlantics or CCWS.
22: GP2 or CCWS(probably would not get you a F1 racing seat, but testing seat)
23: GP2. Possible F1 test with smaller team.
24: Formula One testing duties.
25: You are in Formula One.

I am sorry. I am not very versed in European Racing. Hope this could help.

markabilly
31st July 2007, 22:25
If you are in Europe

15: Karts. My only experience in karts in Europe was a one off British Superkarts race. Stay local this year. Maybe, if funding alows, try a national event.
16: Karts. Go regional.
17: Karts. Go national. If funding alows, go to Johnaton Palmers school.
18: Forumula Palmer Audi's. Or British Formula Renault 1.6 or 2.0.
18: Formula Reanult Euroseries or British F3.
19: British F3 or F3 Euroseries.
20: WSR or F3 Euroseries. Maybe move to US to race.
21: WSR or GP2. If in US, maybe CCAtlantics or CCWS.
22: GP2 or CCWS(probably would not get you a F1 racing seat, but testing seat)
23: GP2. Possible F1 test with smaller team.
24: Formula One testing duties.
25: You are in Formula One.

I am sorry. I am not very versed in European Racing. Hope this could help.
excuses.................................red bull allegedly spent 25 million on scott speed to get him to the point of driving for a bunch of cowboys who could not find their but in the sunlight :rolleyes: :eek:

CCFanatic
31st July 2007, 22:39
not to get angry, but could you describe your post for me? I do not quiet understand the point you are getting at? I tried with the best of my ability to show the progression up the ladder to F1 for this kid who wants to race. It is not perfect and would only work under the best of circumstances, but hey, you can dream.

Storm
1st August 2007, 01:24
Well its good that you have a dream and are going to try hard for it.
First step would be to get off forums and start racing go karts like most posters have said and report back in 5 years.

CCFanatic
1st August 2007, 01:35
Anther tip: Lift weights. Do not get buff out like NFL players. But be strong. I try to keep me look like footballers.

Valve Bounce
1st August 2007, 02:32
Hiya i am intrested into doing formula one as my career i know it is going be hard work to be a pro but is there anyone know where do i start from if i want to become a forumula one pro and i willing to work hard. I am 15 years old and is that a late age if you want to be a formula one pro

Are you talking about working as a member of the team in a technical capacity, or as one of the crew, or as a driver?

Valve Bounce
1st August 2007, 02:34

OK, I guess you mean as a driver. Well, you'll need lotsa money, that's for sure.

waitey
1st August 2007, 03:06
well mate, you are not too late trust me. I have only been karting for a year and im 18 and looking at Formula BMW Asia next year, just got back from a test from Sentul last week.

First of all, are you good, there is no point putting everything into this career unless you can drive. I don't mean you have to be a freak at driving or the best, but you must be able to drive. This means, have you gone karting just on hire karts and found yourself dominating, or easily winning or setting fast lap times. Ever since i was like 6 and 7, i would find myself at local hire kart places beating adults, and easily, and just knew i could drive a bit, and was told by many who worked at the kart places to take up actual kart racing, but i live in australia and unfortunately i was having a shot at making it into the AFL and came close, so couldnt begin karting until just under a year ago, and now im 18.

Karting is difficult, in that you will be up against people who will have been doing it for years and understand the set up more than you, and the fine tuning of karts, and basically still have more money to spend on better equipment. I am not winning races this year, im just spending a year in karts for a bit of racing experience, but you being 15, perhaps spend maybe a year or two in karts, and still use your age as an advantage and jump up to open-wheelers at say 17, maybe 18 if you want longer in karting.

Formula BMW is a really good series to progress to at the moment in the world from karting. The car is quick, but not too quick, and is not too daunting from stepping out of karting. There is a Formula BMW Europe championship (FBMW Germany and UK merged), Formula BMW Asia, and Formula BMW USA. It has a close link with the BMW f1 team and the f1 championship, as formula bmw europe will support all european f1 grand prix's as of next year, and formula bmw asia, deal basically done, is supporting australian f1 grand prix next year, and probably chinese f1 grand prix as well, as well as racing on malaysian f1 track in sepang and all, with FBMW USA supporting Canada next year because of no US GP.

The FBMW Asia is the cheapest of the lot, and is growing in terms of popularity. Every team charges 130,000USD for a season, for me around 165,000 Australian Dollars. But then you must add on your flights, damage, insurance, and just all the little extra hidden costs, and i will probably be looking at around near 200,000 australian dollars. Now, i am unfortunate, my dad is well off, living in thailand, but not that well off yet, so i must find most of it from sponsorship, going to be a very difficult task but will make it easier with the Australian Grand Prix support event with me being australian.

The USA and Europe Championships are way more expensive, and at a similar cost to Formula Renault, so you could just jump into Formula Renault perhaps instead, that is what I am aiming for in 2009 if i make the switch to Europe.

And it's stupid to look too much further down the track other than karting and the next step, Formula BMW or Formula Renault. You could still do Formula Ford if you want, but it's becoming more popular to skip that.

Basically mate, you don't have to be a freak driver and the best out there to make it. Yes, if you are one of those freaks like Hamilton, you probably would already be karting, and will be on the road to f1, you may have some freak talent we haven't seen yet. But this sport isn't just about talent, a lot of it is about the package. Don't expect yourself to be winning in karting, and don't let it get you down. Set your aims at winning once you've had a couple years experience in open-wheelers.

As i said, it's about the package, unless you have a super rich dad, and a super rich dad shouldn't have to be paying all of your journey anyways, you must be trying to obtain as much sponsorship as you can. This is extremely difficult, and you will get a lot of rejections, but that is natural, if you persist and are determined enough and do it professionally and show your passion, you will most likely eventually get the support of a few companies.

All the best mate, but the first step is knowing if you have some ability. For me, i am no freak, and i won't really win in karting this year, but i still know i have some ability, by stepping into Formula BMW for my first test on old tyres and witha yellow flag into turn 1 for all of my 3 sessions and only being a couple seconds off the pace, i know i have some ability. You will know that if you go to hire karts and just find it easy basically.

So get yourself into karting, your only 15, a few f1 drivers lately didnt start till 19 and 20 plus, and some never started karting. Yes it helps to be younger than you even but don't worry, perhaps spend two years in karting then look at jumping up. All the best mate

leopard
1st August 2007, 03:41
well mate, you are not too late trust me. I have only been karting for a year and im 18 and looking at Formula BMW Asia next year, just got back from a test from Sentul last week.

You talked to Zahir Ali, look at his SN carefully :D

waitey
1st August 2007, 06:19
You talked to Zahir Ali, look at his SN carefully :D

haha what's SN. I didn't talk to him at the circuit, over myspace though haha

raikk
1st August 2007, 06:53

First of all, are you good, there is no point putting everything into this career unless you can drive. I don't mean you have to be a freak at driving or the best, but you must be able to drive. This means, have you gone karting just on hire karts and found yourself dominating, or easily winning or setting fast lap times. Ever since i was like 6 and 7, i would find myself at local hire kart places beating adults, and easily, and just knew i could drive a bit, and was told by many who worked at the kart places to take up actual kart racing, but i live in australia and unfortunately i was having a shot at making it into the AFL and came close, so couldnt begin karting until just under a year ago, and now im 18.

Karting is difficult, in that you will be up against people who will have been doing it for years and understand the set up more than you, and the fine tuning of karts, and basically still have more money to spend on better equipment. I am not winning races this year, im just spending a year in karts for a bit of racing experience, but you being 15, perhaps spend maybe a year or two in karts, and still use your age as an advantage and jump up to open-wheelers at say 17, maybe 18 if you want longer in karting.

Formula BMW is a really good series to progress to at the moment in the world from karting. The car is quick, but not too quick, and is not too daunting from stepping out of karting. There is a Formula BMW Europe championship (FBMW Germany and UK merged), Formula BMW Asia, and Formula BMW USA. It has a close link with the BMW f1 team and the f1 championship, as formula bmw europe will support all european f1 grand prix's as of next year, and formula bmw asia, deal basically done, is supporting australian f1 grand prix next year, and probably chinese f1 grand prix as well, as well as racing on malaysian f1 track in sepang and all, with FBMW USA supporting Canada next year because of no US GP.

The FBMW Asia is the cheapest of the lot, and is growing in terms of popularity. Every team charges 130,000USD for a season, for me around 165,000 Australian Dollars. But then you must add on your flights, damage, insurance, and just all the little extra hidden costs, and i will probably be looking at around near 200,000 australian dollars. Now, i am unfortunate, my dad is well off, living in thailand, but not that well off yet, so i must find most of it from sponsorship, going to be a very difficult task but will make it easier with the Australian Grand Prix support event with me being australian.

The USA and Europe Championships are way more expensive, and at a similar cost to Formula Renault, so you could just jump into Formula Renault perhaps instead, that is what I am aiming for in 2009 if i make the switch to Europe.

And it's stupid to look too much further down the track other than karting and the next step, Formula BMW or Formula Renault. You could still do Formula Ford if you want, but it's becoming more popular to skip that.

Basically mate, you don't have to be a freak driver and the best out there to make it. Yes, if you are one of those freaks like Hamilton, you probably would already be karting, and will be on the road to f1, you may have some freak talent we haven't seen yet. But this sport isn't just about talent, a lot of it is about the package. Don't expect yourself to be winning in karting, and don't let it get you down. Set your aims at winning once you've had a couple years experience in open-wheelers.

As i said, it's about the package, unless you have a super rich dad, and a super rich dad shouldn't have to be paying all of your journey anyways, you must be trying to obtain as much sponsorship as you can. This is extremely difficult, and you will get a lot of rejections, but that is natural, if you persist and are determined enough and do it professionally and show your passion, you will most likely eventually get the support of a few companies.

All the best mate, but the first step is knowing if you have some ability. For me, i am no freak, and i won't really win in karting this year, but i still know i have some ability, by stepping into Formula BMW for my first test on old tyres and witha yellow flag into turn 1 for all of my 3 sessions and only being a couple seconds off the pace, i know i have some ability. You will know that if you go to hire karts and just find it easy basically.

So get yourself into karting, your only 15, a few f1 drivers lately didnt start till 19 and 20 plus, and some never started karting. Yes it helps to be younger than you even but don't worry, perhaps spend two years in karting then look at jumping up. All the best mate

wow thats a really good description of karting.. I have just started it about 3 months ago.. I'm trying to go to my local track as much as possible to test.. I have met many people who have helped me.. Ar54ad I suggest you go to a race and meet all the people... I make an effort to socialize and get brownie points with everyone.. I have been practicing like crazy and have found a testing partner in the eman time who has raced and is willing to give me free tips and incidently we run the same engine and chassis..you will find people who are just in it for the money and others who care about racing first then the profit.. and many inbetween..unfortunetly for me my engine blew because of wear... so I have to buy another one.. but I hope to be back at the track by this week..

leopard
1st August 2007, 07:26
haha what's SN. I didn't talk to him at the circuit, over myspace though haha
If you didn't meet him, you must have met her, what do you think ;) :)

GridGirl
1st August 2007, 08:27
Didn't McLaren pump about £15m into Lewis Hamilton's career before he got into F1?

I suppose its a very glamous career, but with with the long hours, constant travelling, contrast smiling for press apearances I dont think I'd really fancy it. You've got to be prepared to put the effort in of you want to suceed.

Oh and if your in it for the money, trust me in the fact that unless you make it extremely big, you wont have any. :p

SteveA
1st August 2007, 08:31
Ar54ad - a search of your alias on Google reveals that you seem to ask the same question in every forum you can, from basket weaving to astronaut!

As you're actually not sure what you want to do in the future, my advice would be to continue your education and don't worry about becoming a "star" of anything at this stage.

leopard
1st August 2007, 08:54
Oh and if your in it for the money, trust me in the fact that unless you make it extremely big, you wont have any. :p
I'd believe it, to be a friend of pit babe isn't cheap either :p

ChrisS
1st August 2007, 09:12
Ar54ad - a search of your alias on Google reveals that you seem to ask the same question in every forum you can, from basket weaving to astronaut!

As you're actually not sure what you want to do in the future, my advice would be to continue your education and don't worry about becoming a "star" of anything at this stage.

maybe his real dream is to become a forum troll

leopard
1st August 2007, 09:22
If not, the real dream is to be a F1 star as famous as Nigel Stepney :)

XR8
1st August 2007, 10:27
I am 52 and have no money at all! Is it to late to become a F1 STAR?

leopard
1st August 2007, 11:33
Not too late at all, but for more accurate advice I'd suggest to go to your daughter first ;)