PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Race at Indy is 400 Miles

-Helix-
30th July 2007, 01:34
It's the track that is important, not the type of car racing on it. American Open Wheel may dominate Indy's history and tradition, but NASCAR dominates it's present and most likely it's future.

Stewart, Montoya, Gordon

These are the biggest names in American racing right now. And even though these three drivers finished one-two-three at Indy - it's in NASCARs and not the open wheelers they probably would have driven if this were 20 years ago. NASCAR is the biggest series in American racing. Indy is a cherished and historic track, but it's just that - a track. The Indy 500 is just another race on a great track.

While I watched Brickyard 400 coverage this week all the way up to the end with Stewart and his team climbing the fence. It hit me: the tradition and history these NASCAR guys keep talking about may not be NASCAR history... but it's dominated by NASCAR now. NASCAR is American racing. Indycars may have created that history and tradition, but their job is over and done. American Open Wheel's history is NASCAR's history.

The Indy 500 officially means nothing to me anymore other than another race on another track shared with America's top racing series. But you can hardly blame Tony George for handing the track and basically the key to all of it's history and tradition. He simply saw that NASCAR was actually profitable and had great potential. He wanted to make money. His ancestors who despised NASCAR might be rolling in their graves as they watch stockcars drive on those hallowed straights from the heavens - but times change. Indycars had their time.

We've officially entered a new era in American racing. Although I will always love open wheelers and will continue to follow BOTH the IRL and Champ Car - it's hard to admit that all this "merger" and the "comeback of AOW" is all pointless babble. It's a cult following sport and will most likely remain that way. So even though our memories of the old days might be depressing - let's remember what we got and be happy we do.

This post is by no means intended to start a flame war or another pointless CC v.s. IRL debate. It's just my feelings which I believe many share that I felt I needed to get off my chest. Thank you.

champcar72
30th July 2007, 04:17
You are very correct.......However tides will turn and when it does, open wheel will come back stronger than ever. (maybe not in my lifetime ,but someday)

weeflyonthewall
30th July 2007, 04:43
It's the track that is important, not the type of car racing on it. American Open Wheel may dominate Indy's history and tradition, but NASCAR dominates it's present and most likely it's future.

Stewart, Montoya, Gordon

The Indy 500 officially means nothing to me anymore other than another race on another track shared with America's top racing series. But you can hardly blame Tony George for handing the track and basically the key to all of it's history and tradition. He simply saw that NASCAR was actually profitable and had great potential. He wanted to make money. His ancestors who despised NASCAR might be rolling in their graves as they watch stockcars drive on those hallowed straights from the heavens - but times change. Indycars had their time.

Can you really blame a guy like Montoya who couldn't understand why the Borg Warner seemed to be the hallowed trophy versus a open wheel series championship. It would have been sweet to see him win today. Maybe next year.

Rickenbacker481
30th July 2007, 04:59
Don`t start playing taps for the 500 mile race just yet. While I agree that Nascar has a bigger following, and the stands are full, just remember that every Memorial Day weekend, the stands are full also.
The 500 will always be a staple in motorsports, the popularity of the series running there hardly matters if you look at the grandstands.
I also think that Nascar can`t get any more popular than it is. Hopefully, if OW gets some fans back, thing will stabilize.

geek49203
30th July 2007, 15:12
First, there were thousands of empty seats at the BY400 yesterday. There were thousands empty on the front straight alone! The attendance at the BY roughly mirrors the NASCAR ratings of the past few years, which is to say, down by 15% or so.

Heck, the Daytona 500 didn't sell out this year, and Michigan is advertising heavily trying to sell their August show (WIBC ads in Indy!?!??).

Second, racing series wax and wane -- just ask Trans Am fans, or CanAm fans, or USAC Silver Crown fans. In NASCAR, you're seeing the shakeout of teams, as well as tracks (Rockingham, Nazareth, Pikes Peak, plus plans for Long Island, Seattle and Denver among the casualties - and I'm not betting on California!). NASCAR has been in uncharted waters for 10 years with their success, and by their own admission, they expect to settle somewhere below their peak a few years ago.

Third, Indy intentionally made an effort to change the nature of the crowds when TG took control. The Indy 500 is no longer the Hoosier Mardi Gras, and that is by design. In the "good old days" it wasn't totally uncommon to see people having sex in the infield, or passed out from drug use, etc. TG realized that corporate sponsorship and liability lawsuits mandated an end to this behavior.

That's why you now see grandstands and F1 track in the former locations of the snake pit. Many of those people who were simply there to party have pretty much moved on. Now, the Indy 500 crowd is almost as well-behaved at the F1 crowd (or at least not nearly as rowdy as the NASCAR crowd).

NoFender
30th July 2007, 18:50
Well said ^

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2007, 00:40
First, there were thousands of empty seats at the BY400 yesterday. There were thousands empty on the front straight alone! The attendance at the BY roughly mirrors the NASCAR ratings of the past few years, which is to say, down by 15% or so.

Heck, the Daytona 500 didn't sell out this year, and Michigan is advertising heavily trying to sell their August show (WIBC ads in Indy!?!??).

Second, racing series wax and wane -- just ask Trans Am fans, or CanAm fans, or USAC Silver Crown fans. In NASCAR, you're seeing the shakeout of teams, as well as tracks (Rockingham, Nazareth, Pikes Peak, plus plans for Long Island, Seattle and Denver among the casualties - and I'm not betting on California!). NASCAR has been in uncharted waters for 10 years with their success, and by their own admission, they expect to settle somewhere below their peak a few years ago.

Third, Indy intentionally made an effort to change the nature of the crowds when TG took control. The Indy 500 is no longer the Hoosier Mardi Gras, and that is by design. In the "good old days" it wasn't totally uncommon to see people having sex in the infield, or passed out from drug use, etc. TG realized that corporate sponsorship and liability lawsuits mandated an end to this behavior.

That's why you now see grandstands and F1 track in the former locations of the snake pit. Many of those people who were simply there to party have pretty much moved on. Now, the Indy 500 crowd is almost as well-behaved at the F1 crowd (or at least not nearly as rowdy as the NASCAR crowd).

Well which is the tougher and more expensive ticket? A few years ago the NASCAR one was, and that alone should say a lot. Do I give up on the 500. Heck no, it is the granddaddy of all races on this continent, and I think in time, it will get back there, but there has to be some sort of opening up of the race again. What made Indy great wasn't spec racing with 22 serious entries and 11 field fillers. Opening up the race to more variety in chassis and drivers would electrify the whole month of May once again. I think that is what I miss the most. I loved reading about the time trials, who was looking for rides, the drama of Bubble day and Pole day. Now we have just another race in a series that isn't as big as it once was. Something is missing....

As for what Tony did for the Speedway, as much as I don't see eye to eye with his "vision", I think he was smart in putting in the facilities he has, and bringing NASCAR to the track is just outstanding if the 500 was kept strong...but it isn't, and if the 400 is now the biggest deal in Hoosierland for racing, that is no one's fault but Tony's......