PDA

View Full Version : Fernandez Nearing Deal to Run Chesson

Davedigler2004
20th December 2006, 21:09
INDYCAR: Fernandez Nearing Deal to Run Chesson
Written by: Robin Miller
Indianapolis, Ind. – 12/20/2006

After an abbreviated '06, Chesson could be back in the saddle with Fernandez next year. (LAT Photo)

It's not signed and sealed, but it appears Adrian Fernandez is back in the Indy Racing League with P.J. Chesson.

"There's a lot of paperwork flying around and it looks like a legitimate multi-year deal with a solid sponsor," said Tom Anderson, the co-owner of Fernandez Racing. "I'd say right now it's about 75-25 it's going to happen."

Because of longtime sponsor Delphi's uncertainty, Scott Sharp taking his new sponsor to Bobby Rahal and Kosuke Matsuura moving the Panasonic money to Panther Racing, Fernandez was forced to lay off 25 employees and shut down the Indy-car operation two months ago. The team had a Honda ALMS deal for 2007 but no plans for Indy cars until recently.

"Actually, Gene Simmons and Richard Abramson brought the deal to the IRL in conjunction with Just Marketing and, because of the demographics of the sponsor, they decided P.J. Chesson was their man," said Anderson.

"They were kind enough to contact us and we're hoping to get this thing finalized. We've still got all our cars and equipment and I've been talking on the phone with some of the guys we had to let go and told them 'It's getting closer.'"

Chesson, the only bona-fide American short-track sprint driver in last year's Indianapolis 500 besides Ed Carpenter, competed in the first four IRL shows of '06 before Hemelgarn Racing closed its doors when a supposed sponsorship deal with NBA star Carmelo Anthony dissolved.

That deal was also brokered by rock & roll icon Simmons, the official spokesman for the IRL whose marketing company has partnered with Tony George's series to try and develop sponsorships.

carrera66
21st December 2006, 14:03
Ahh... Gene (I am Indy) does it again. PJ's got the hook up.

I wonder who the sponsor is since "PJ was their man"?

SarahFan
21st December 2006, 18:53
[quote="carrera66"]

I wonder who the sponsor is ?[/ir QUOTE]

TG

911gt1
22nd December 2006, 00:21
Ahh... Gene (I am Indy) does it again. PJ's got the hook up.

I wonder who the sponsor is since "PJ was their man"?

Rumor is Sirius Sattelite Radio.

jarrambide
22nd December 2006, 01:20
Donīt mind Fernandez coming back, but Chesson I donīt like, I donīt consider him a future good driver, the fact he is American also doesnīt work in his favor, he is no Marco, Danica, Sam Hornish, heck, even Buddy Rice works a lot better as an AMerican driver PR effort,
But then again, I like Chesson a lot better that the japanese drivers ADrian used to field in the CART and IRL.
Do we really need a driver that comes from a sprint short track career?, Iīm all for traditions and romanticism in sports, but come on, do we really need someone becasue he comes from that background?

ZzZzZz
22nd December 2006, 04:53
Great news. Someone for Milka to run ahead of (other than her teammate).

Rudy Tamasz
22nd December 2006, 10:40
If I were Fernandez, I'd rather not run at all than run somebody who can't drive. Chesson doesn't belong with Indycar.

carrera66
22nd December 2006, 12:49
The only reason Chesson got the ride is because Gene Simmons thinks the IRL needs a bad boy. He doesn't know jack about racing. Did you happen to see Gene's interview on Windtunnel about a year ago?... pathetic. Also he's the one that got him the Carmelo-Helelgarn ride at the beginning of the year.

Komahawk
15th February 2007, 14:12
I wish Adrian himself would get back into the seat...