PDA

View Full Version : Snetterton: Rounds 19, 20 & 21

VkmSpouge
28th July 2007, 15:03
No Adam Jones (another clash with the WTCC), Nick Leason or Jim Pocklington this weekend but Rick Kerry is back.

Practice 1
1. Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall Vectra 1m12.324s
2. Tom Chilton Vauxhall Vectra +0.014
3. Matt Neal Honda Civic +0.189
4. Colin Turkington BMW 320si +0.220
5. Jason Plato SEAT Leon +0.242
6. Gordon Shedden Honda Civic +0.481
7. Tom Onslow-Cole BMW 320si +0.632
8. Jason Hughes MG ZS +0.672
9. Mike Jordan Honda Integra +0.716
10. Mat Jackson BMW 320si +0.760
For full times see here (http://www.msttiming.com/gifresult.asp?table=73003fp1trg&round=round07.gif).

Practice 2
1. Jason Plato SEAT Leon 1m12.512
2. Colin Turkington BMW 320si +0.005
3. Gordon Shedden Honda Civic +0.023
4. Matt Neal Honda Civic +0.033
5. Tom Chilton Vauxhall Vectra +0.064
6. Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall Vectra +0.179
7. Tom Onslow-Cole BMW 320si +0.270
8. Mat Jackson BMW 320si +0.301
9. Darren Turner SEAT Leon +0.308
10. Mike Jordan Honda Integra +0.512
For full times see here (http://www.msttiming.com/gifresult.asp?table=73003fp2trg&round=round07.gif).

Steelrat
28th July 2007, 15:58
It's extremely quiet here today ....

bt52b
28th July 2007, 16:05
Colin Turkington takes pole, wonder is WSR goin to dominate this weekend?

VkmSpouge
28th July 2007, 16:10
It does seem rather quiet.

Qualifying Times
1. Colin Turkington BMW 320si 1m12.290s
2. Tom Onslow-Cole BMW 320si +0.190
3. Gordon Shedden Honda Civic +0.308
4. Tom Chilton Vauxhall Vectra +0.360
5. Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall Vectra +0.405
6. Darren Turner SEAT Leon +0.408
7. Matt Neal Honda Civic +0.537
8. Jason Plato SEAT Leon +0.550
9. Mat Jackson BMW 320si +0.698
10. Mike Jordan Honda Integra +0.698
11. Matt Allison SEAT Toledo +0.844
12. Jason Hughes MG ZS +1.019
13. Eoin Murray Alfa Romeo 156 +1.049
14. Tom Ferrier SEAT Toledo +1.055
15. Dave Pinkney Alfa Romeo 156 +1.427
16. John George Honda Integra +1.477
17. Erkut Kizilirmak Vauxhall Astra +2.002
18. Richard Marsh Alfa Romeo 156 +2.213
19. Simon Blanckley Honda Integra +2.449
20. Fiona Leggate MG ZS +2.602
21. Martyn Bell BMW 320i +3.588
22. Rick Kerry BMW 120d +10.804
23. Chris Stockton Lexus IS200 No Time

Team RAC on top after qualifying. Colin Turkington seemed pretty much ahead of the field all the way throughout the session with Tom Onslow-Cole joining him on the front row. I feel Matt Allison is getting closer to the pace over the past couple of races. Decent qualifying performance by Jason Hughes as well. Rick Kerry and Chris Stockton clearly having problems with their cars.

Steelrat
28th July 2007, 16:23
It does seem rather quiet.

Qualifying Times
1. Colin Turkington BMW 320si 1m12.290s
2. Tom Onslow-Cole BMW 320si +0.190
4. Tom Chilton Vauxhall Vectra +0.360
5. Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall Vectra +0.405
12. Jason Hughes MG ZS +1.019
20. Fiona Leggate MG ZS +2.602

Anyone able to say why there should be such a discrepancy between Hughes and Leggate? I included the other four as a control sample 'cos I thought, at most, maybe there would be a .5 difference between the MG's ...

Shame about Rick, thought they were getting closer each round. Then again, he only did 6 laps. Probs for him as well?

P

Brown, Jon Brow
28th July 2007, 16:28
Wasn't Kerry on Bell's pace earlier?

VkmSpouge
28th July 2007, 16:33
Kerry did a 1m18.085 in the first practice so he definitely encountered problems in qualifying.

@ Steelrat, Well Hughes has had plenty more experience in the car than Leggate so that should account for some of the speed difference.

SEATFreak
28th July 2007, 16:36
With my SEAT cap on I am a little dissapointed at not so much Jase's position as the fact Fabrizio Giovanardi with lighter Championship ballast and in a faster car is a whole three places further ahead of him. I cannot think what Jase' would have to do in order to take Giovanardi if Giovanardi get's of to a strong start. AS far as my feeling go the Leon is a notorious bad starter. I can still see the 320si's of Team RAC whizzing past at Croft.

But with my neutral's cap on I am pleased the Team RAC's look to have finally truly controlled a qualification session (though Turks has been on pole three time before now) and Jordan and Jackson looks like being in good places.

Fingers crossed for a good race.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th July 2007, 17:12
. AS far as my feeling go the Leon is a notorious bad starter. I can still see the 320si's of Team RAC whizzing past at Croft.

The Leon isn't a bad starter, it just that the BMW's and Lexi's are very good starters.

Alfa Fan
28th July 2007, 18:34
Hughes is a decent privateer BTCC driver, whereas Leggate is an overrated average club racer with money to do BTCC.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th July 2007, 18:42
Hughes has definitely seemed to have found around a second and a half since 2004.

Captain VXR
28th July 2007, 18:57
I think this weekend rests on whether Giovanardi can catch up or not. Good to see Chilton and Onslow-Cole doing well :)

VkmSpouge
28th July 2007, 19:28
Hughes has definitely seemed to have found around a second and a half since 2004.

Jason Hughes has definitely improved, though remember when he was racing in 2004 he still had the older engine. That said this is his percentage from pole at Snetterton since 2004:
2004: 4.062%
2006: 1.918%
2007: 1.410%
It shows a continuous improvement from year to year.

SEATFreak
28th July 2007, 19:54
Hughes is a decent privateer BTCC driver, whereas Leggate is an overrated average club racer with money to do BTCC.

Have to agree there matey fraid'. As much as I think Fiona is all very pretty and nice, as much as I think perhaps the "overrated average club racer" tag may be harsh and certainly as much as I think perhaps some of her lack of form could on some ocassions be put down to racing badluck, I wouldn't ever want her racing in my team.

In a team that hasn't shone for me and with an old car that surely must be coming to the end of it's life as a tintop, I think Jason must have got every point KartWorld has this season. Two ninths (2pts apiece) at Thruxton and the 3 point paying 8th at Croft. And he has always managed to take the car to the edge of the point paying places.

That is surely a small measure perhaps of the extra pace he has over Fiona.

AndySpeed
28th July 2007, 21:44
I am thinking (and hoping) that the Vauxhall's will be fast at Snetterton as they have a strong engine, more slippery shape than the Seat Leon's and some good luck on their side (to make up for the buckets of bad luck both drivers had last time out at Donington!).

Fingers crossed.

VkmSpouge
28th July 2007, 23:45
Knowing just how good the BMWs are at starting it should be Turkington and Onslow-Cole leading into the first corner unless one of them makes a complete hash of the start.

thompp
28th July 2007, 23:47
Quick question, please: why wasn't Darren Turner in Practice 1?

AlexD
29th July 2007, 00:18
His car broke down

Alfa Fan
29th July 2007, 00:18
Car failed on the outlap so he never set a time. I believe there's a picture of it on the Free Practice 1 report on btcc.net

Eunos
29th July 2007, 01:55

Tend to Agree, I like Fiona in all but it seems alot of People Praise her when she is usually a Back Runner. I don't mean to be Sexist but i bet if she were a Guy People would Just be Slating her and how she Doesnt belong in the BTCC.

Anyway the MG is kind off starting to show it's age abit on Track but may just get one more season even if that.

AlexD
29th July 2007, 06:13
Agreed. Jason could have had some very good results this year,maybe even a couple of podiums, but the pace of the old car meant he really had to work to keep newer cars off.

SEATFreak
29th July 2007, 08:46
I see from his results form considering the age of the ZS he is up with the likes of Martyn Bell and Dave Pinkney rather than down with the likes of Jim Pocklington and John George all the time. His form is actually quite steady. I think that to a degree reflects just a little how hard Jason is working and I have high hopes he may get one or two 7ths or 8ths before the season is out.

ATF
29th July 2007, 11:36
Good win for Turks in race 1. Also got to say how impressed I am with Shedden this year, he's really putting Neal in his place...so he may not be in the team next year!! ;)

Plato's gap down to 22 points now!

Ian McC
29th July 2007, 11:49
Did Jason and Matt have some sort of clash on the first lap?

MattL
29th July 2007, 12:20
Yep, Neal dived up the inside and spun Plato. Almost collected Giovanardi at the same time.

Turkington has been disqualified from race one as his car was underweight. Shedden inherits the win. Turkington starts race two from the back of the grid with full ballast. It doesn't change anything for the championship battle.

Mp3 Astra
29th July 2007, 13:28
Here at the russell chicane we had a good time. Plenty of overtaking and generall tomfoolery. There's a puddle on the outside of the chicane making life interesting for those who run a bit wide. Didn't see the startline pileup but it sounded pretty major. Any blame do you think?

Now for some sunbathing

BDunnell
29th July 2007, 13:55
Here at the russell chicane we had a good time. Plenty of overtaking and generall tomfoolery. There's a puddle on the outside of the chicane making life interesting for those who run a bit wide. Didn't see the startline pileup but it sounded pretty major. Any blame do you think?

Now for some sunbathing

On the TV, it wasn't clear. You couldn't see enough of what happened.

AlexD
29th July 2007, 15:10
Great racing so far!

Erkuts crash was hilarious. But the other crash, involving the flying MG, and then having Smarsh slamming into the damaged Stockton car was scary. The Doctor car was in the wrong place. If Jackson had tucked behind Shedden for more time before pulling out, he would've hit it.
Good to see Eoin finally proving himself.

Captain VXR
29th July 2007, 16:18
WOW http://www.driftworks.com/forum/images/smilies/notworthy.gif Race three = best BTCC race ever, Giovanardi's saves http://www.driftworks.com/forum/images/smilies/notworthy.gif WOW

BeansBeansBeans
29th July 2007, 16:26
Bravo Fabrizio! His car control is simply sublime, and his easy-going manner is a breath of fresh air after the playground squabbling of the last couple of seasons.

I'm a big fan of Jason Plato, but in all honesty I felt he was to blame for the Bomb-hole incident. He failed to give Mat Jackson adequate racing room, despite him being alongside, and then made a somewhat desperate lunge across track to shut the door on Gio.

VkmSpouge
29th July 2007, 16:26
Pretty good racing. Shame Colin Turkington was disqualified but I guess they simply miscalculated the weight. Great win for Tom Onslow-Cole, probably the first of many. He's the third driver to have taken his maiden race win this season.

I've seen the crash under the Safety Car happen before when it is positioned too close to the start/finish line and causes a concertina effect as the field races to the line and then has to slow down very suddenly, someone gets hit and turned into a spin, this time it was the unfortunate Richard Marsh.

Great to see Eoin Murray finally having a good weekend with a good 7th and 10th place finished. He might have got 9th in race had his car not broken down a few laps from the end.

BDunnell
29th July 2007, 16:44
Race three = best BTCC race ever

No way! It was good, though.

BDunnell
29th July 2007, 16:46
Bravo Fabrizio! His car control is simply sublime, and his easy-going manner is a breath of fresh air after the playground squabbling of the last couple of seasons.

I'm a big fan of Jason Plato, but in all honesty I felt he was to blame for the Bomb-hole incident. He failed to give Mat Jackson adequate racing room, despite him being alongside, and then made a somewhat desperate lunge across track to shut the door on Gio.

Agreed on both counts, though I thought Plato was fair to Jackson. Moving across on Giovanardi was always going to end in tears for somebody.

lilmelvschilton
29th July 2007, 17:47
i thought both onslo-cole and matt jackson both raced well today

mind you i am not happy with plato doing a move on chilton like that, it really miffed me off

Brown, Jon Brow
29th July 2007, 18:44

It was more than desperate. Plato can pass fairly but never seems to be able to defend without it getting messy.

Murray had some good runs and might have got a win if the wheel of fortune was more erm... :erm: ....fortunate.

murrayfan
29th July 2007, 19:15
well done eoin murray great race's 2 and 3 and he finaly got some points under his belt shame about race 1 but he's getting there roll on brands hatch

BDunnell
29th July 2007, 19:59
Murray had some good runs and might have got a win if the wheel of fortune was more erm... :erm: ....fortunate.

I'm afraid I think 'might' is the operative word. The car just isn't fast enough to stay ahead of the top runners. At least it kept going today, though.

murrayfan
29th July 2007, 20:37
At least it kept going today

it's about time the car kept going today because i don't think it has season
it would be good to see how good the car is if he didnt have to keep holding back to get the car to the finish :)

MBailey06
29th July 2007, 21:57
WOW http://www.driftworks.com/forum/images/smilies/notworthy.gif Race three = best BTCC race ever, Giovanardi's saves http://www.driftworks.com/forum/images/smilies/notworthy.gif WOW

Not best ever, but certainly one of the best since the new era began in '01.

MBailey06
29th July 2007, 21:59
I'm afraid I think 'might' is the operative word. The car just isn't fast enough to stay ahead of the top runners. At least it kept going today, though.

His fastest lap in race 2 was just 2 tenths of the fastest of the race, so he is moving in the right direction, and a podium isn't out of the question for certain once his car gets sorted.

bt52b
30th July 2007, 00:23
Thought Turks exculsion was stupid, robbed the fans of the moral victor of race one. They really should weight the car and driver seperate if the figures don't tally.

PDS
30th July 2007, 00:30
Quick question, please: why wasn't Darren Turner in Practice 1?

Became a spectator..
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2007/snetterton/qual/Turner_seat.jpg.html

Brown, Jon Brow
30th July 2007, 08:53

In race 3 his best lap was faster than Onslow-Cole's, Neal's, Plato's, Giovanardi's in fact every one in the top 10 apart from Shedden. However that said, John George got the 2nd best lap :s

Liz Bolton
30th July 2007, 11:42
Had a fantastic weekend at Snetterton. So glad that the weather held as we were camping at the circuit. All races were good, shame colin's win was taken away from him, but it was great to see TOC get his maiden victory.

A big thanks to the guys at Vauxhall as well. On Saturday one of the guys knocked my 3 year old boy over in the toilets, he got very upset, one of the team then invited him in to see the cars and he got to have a quick sit in Tom's car and later he meet and had a photo with Fabrizio Giovanardi. I think he was the happiest little boy of Snetterton on saturday and will be a Vauxhall fan for life.

Will definitaely go to Snetterton again next year. can't wait!!

Iain
30th July 2007, 18:01
mind you i am not happy with plato doing a move on chilton like that, it really miffed me off

Tom was pulling off a few rough moves of his own yesterday....
http://btcc.net/images/gallery/lg_3254_91a7.jpg

mattie007
30th July 2007, 18:20
Wish I had gone, but as I got soaked at Donny I thought the same would happen again!
Team RAC should of had 2 wins in front of there home crowd, can't see how 2 kilos makes a difference but they are the rules.
Thought Jason Hughes did very well, holding onto the leaders for half the 2nd race. Hope they stick with the MG next year or I will have knowone to support! He is certainly getting the most out of the car.
As much as I like Fiona, I don't quite think she has the pace. Its not as if she is short of track or car knowledge either, but I am sure she can squeeze a point at Knockhill if half the field get knocked out!
Would of been interesting if Reidy had joined Kartworld, then Jason would of got even more out the MG.
Race 3 was very good. I thought Plato would get past TO-C but he held him off superbly. Another worthy BTCC winner.

MBailey06
31st July 2007, 08:15
Tom was pulling off a few rough moves of his own yesterday....
http://btcc.net/images/gallery/lg_3254_91a7.jpg

That was hardly rough, he was clearly alongside Turner, and Turner then shut the door, so compared some of Plato's moves, I doubt that Chilton's move can be counted as rough.

Iain
31st July 2007, 20:24
Ok then, clumsy