PDA

View Full Version : How many forumers does it take to change a light bulb?

schmenke
27th July 2007, 21:40
Question: How many forum users does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer:
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another...

6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to PM the mods complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this forum.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique.
and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

CarlMetro
27th July 2007, 21:54
You forgot the ones who would question whether the lightbulb actually needed changing in the first place and toi argue that there was nothing wrong with the old lightbulb because it was better than the new one ;)

LotusElise
27th July 2007, 22:07
You forgot the ones who would question whether the lightbulb actually needed changing in the first place and toi argue that there was nothing wrong with the old lightbulb because it was better than the new one ;)

And Eki to show up and say it's all America's fault.

Mark in Oshawa
27th July 2007, 22:20
Elise....you know that had to be said, I am glad you said it and not me.

schmenke
27th July 2007, 22:38
And let's not forget those forumers who will claim that changing a light bulb is cheating... unless of course the light bulb is red :p :

Erki
27th July 2007, 22:50
And Jefe to point out that it was a breast, not a bulb.

Right, Mr MinimO? :p

RaceFanStan
28th July 2007, 01:51
And don't forget the one lone forumer that will ask, "What lightbulb ?" ;) :laugh:

Alexamateo
28th July 2007, 04:49

Not to mention the ones that say the lightbulb should have been a compact flourescent to save the planet from man-made global warming! :p :

Ian McC
28th July 2007, 10:07
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Or to repost stuff that has been done before :p :

Erki
28th July 2007, 10:25
Hey, where's the pickems? :p

And avatars? :hmh:

Donney
28th July 2007, 11:16
And what about the one who asks for a poll about whether changing the bulb was necessary, unnecessary or Ferrari's fault.
:D

tinchote
28th July 2007, 11:35
And what about the one who asks for a poll about whether changing the bulb was necessary, unnecessary or Ferrari's fault.
:D

And of course then comes the discussions about the poll :D

Ian McC
28th July 2007, 12:02
Ferrari's fault.

You have 500 posts on that one alone, most from ioan ;)

Eki
28th July 2007, 13:36
That's true. If every American changed all their light-bulbs to energy-saving light bulbs, it would not only save enormous amounts of energy, but the huge demand would also bring the cost of energy-saving lamps down, so that people in poorer countries could afford them as well. Besides, you don't have to change energy-saving lamps that often.

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=632&campaign=mts

tinchote
28th July 2007, 15:48
That's true. If every American changed all their light-bulbs to energy-saving light bulbs, it would not only save enormous amounts of energy, but the huge demand would also bring the cost of energy-saving lamps down, so that people in poorer countries could afford them as well. Besides, you don't have to change energy-saving lamps that often.

Erm, excuse me Eki, but usually "huge demand" drives prices up, not down. Unless global warming is changing that, too ;) :p :

While I'm slowly replacing conventional with energy-saving bulbs at home, I personally think that it is more a knee-jerk reaction than anything else. In North America at least, the great electricity consumption from most households come first from heating and air-conditioning, and then drying and cooking and freezing. I don't think that the reduction from the light bulbs is significant in any way. It's only symbolic.

Erki
28th July 2007, 16:58
Erm, excuse me Eki, but usually "huge demand" drives prices up, not down. Unless global warming is changing that, too ;) :p :

That's when demand is greater than availability of energy saving light bulbs.(btw "lightbulbs" is not right - my Firefox spell checker says that it isn't) Huge demand would make light bulb factories to produce more light bulbs and mass production of light bulbs would cut the cost of one light bulb immensely.

Eki
28th July 2007, 18:41

Excuse me too, but has not electronics prices have come down after they have been able to mass produce them and sell huge volumes after covering their design costs? For example, an industrial measuring device is way more expensive than a common mobile phone, even when it's not technologically more complex. The difference is that you can sell millions of the cell phone but maybe just some tens or hundreds of the measuring device.

SEATFreak
28th July 2007, 19:06
109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.

:rotflmao:

Hands up those with experience

SEATFreak
28th July 2007, 19:37
.... :wave:

But IMHO the lightbulb would never be changed because everyone would be writing in to the publisher of the instruction mannual to either complain that the writing ought be better worded and posting daft :dozey: or :rolleyes: smilies, tell the publisher to stop whinning, complain about something that wasn't written or just tell a joke at the publishers expense about the publisher for the hell of it! :laugh:

...or simply tell the publisher they know someone who works at the lightbulb factory! :rotflmao:

DonnieDarco
28th July 2007, 19:53
Ahhh, sometimes you just long for a facist dictatorship, to cut out all this nonsense ;) :D

Hazell B
28th July 2007, 19:57
Why change the light bulb? I liked it the way it was, in the top right hand corner of the forum next to who's on line. Messing with changes just confuses old folks like me :(

Mark, please change it back.

Eki
28th July 2007, 20:00
Why change the light bulb? I liked it the way it was, in the top right hand corner of the forum next to who's on line. Messing with changes just confuses old folks like me :(

Mark, please change it back.
This should be in the Forum Feedback subforum.

Hazell B
28th July 2007, 20:07

Why should it be their?

(Just to get the grammar people involved ;) )

Drew
28th July 2007, 20:25

Can we have a poll?

Eki
28th July 2007, 20:27
There should also be few who compare a broken light-bulb to Hitler, and say that the Americans saved Europe from darkness by inventing the light-bulb, at least twice.

Hondo
28th July 2007, 21:50

Actually, I've tried some of the energy-saving light bulbs. They cost about 4 times the amount of a regular light bulb and in my experience, don't last anywhere near as long as the regular light bulbs. I'd say they burn out in less than half the life time of a regular light bulb. Thats been my experience with them.

BDunnell
28th July 2007, 23:30
I think the light bulb should be changed by the state, so that we don't have to take any personal responsibility for it.

Ian McC
29th July 2007, 00:26
I think the light bulb should be changed by the state, so that we don't have to take any personal responsibility for it.

I think the light bulb should be left in a state

Ian McC
29th July 2007, 00:27
Can we have a poll?

No, but you can have a pole :p :

DonnieDarco
29th July 2007, 00:58
Has anyone actually asked the light bulb??? :D

Daniel
29th July 2007, 01:30
Actually, I've tried some of the energy-saving light bulbs. They cost about 4 times the amount of a regular light bulb and in my experience, don't last anywhere near as long as the regular light bulbs. I'd say they burn out in less than half the life time of a regular light bulb. Thats been my experience with them.
I wouldn't buy light saving bulbs in the US. They have mercury in them.......

CarlMetro
29th July 2007, 02:48
Is the aforementioned light bulb to be changed by a suitably qualified person, after the correct replacement request forms have been filled out and the proper risk assessment been carried out? Has the cost of labour and materials been taken into consideration and have we received at least three independent quotes to carry out the change? Has anyone checked the budget to see if there is a contingency fund to allow for the replacement to take place?

billiaml
29th July 2007, 05:01
Is the aforementioned light bulb to be changed by a suitably qualified person, after the correct replacement request forms have been filled out and the proper risk assessment been carried out? Has the cost of labour and materials been taken into consideration and have we received at least three independent quotes to carry out the change? Has anyone checked the budget to see if there is a contingency fund to allow for the replacement to take place?

No, we just "fast tracked" it like everything else that we'd rather see done than die on the vine. After all, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness later than to get permission now ;)

Hondo
29th July 2007, 07:44
I wouldn't buy light saving bulbs in the US. They have mercury in them.......

Maybe we could use tuna fish for light bulbs. Tuna has mercury in it.

BeansBeansBeans
29th July 2007, 18:22
OMG! Liteblubs sux! LOL!

BDunnell
29th July 2007, 18:26
OMG! Liteblubs sux! LOL!

Yeah, they like so like do.

BeansBeansBeans
29th July 2007, 18:39
Sunlight totally pwns artificial light.

Daniel
29th July 2007, 18:43
Sunlight totally pwns artificial light.
pwns. Is there no word that so comprehensively shows that someone is a dimwit? :mark: Why you people used a mispelt version of "owns" :mark:

Brown, Jon Brow
29th July 2007, 18:46
pwns. Is there no word that so comprehensively shows that someone is a dimwit? :mark: Why you people used a mispelt version of "owns" :mark:

Maybe he has chubby fingers and git the wrong key ;)

Daniel
29th July 2007, 19:18
Maybe he has chubby fingers and git the wrong key ;)
That's where "pwn" originally came from ;) It was a spelling mistake.

Erki
29th July 2007, 19:27
Why do we need light bulbs at all? Why not go to sleep when it gets dark and end of the story? :confused:

Brown, Jon Brow
29th July 2007, 19:28
By the way, as I said 'git' the wrong key. That was mostly deliberate ;) did I mean 'hit' or 'got' ? :s hock:

BDunnell
29th July 2007, 19:56

I hate to say it, but... 'mispelt'? ;)

Daniel
29th July 2007, 21:00
I hate to say it, but... 'mispelt'? ;)
Misspelt :laugh:

schmenke
30th July 2007, 14:55
Miss Pelt? :mark:

Mark
30th July 2007, 15:00
The lightbulb was invented by Joseph Swan who lived about 10 minutes walk from my house! Some would believe Eddison invented the light bulb but he stole Swan's idea.

I've changed lots of lightbulbs in the house recently, to energy saving ones. Some couldn't be changed because the things wouldn't fit!

Eki
30th July 2007, 16:45
Oh, and it also takes an administrator or a moderator to tell us to behave ourselves or they'll lock the thread.

Schultz
31st July 2007, 03:16
A thread like this really shows us how anal we can all be.

billiaml
31st July 2007, 03:28
:rolleyes: as if we actually need someone to point out that little detail :p :

Mark in Oshawa
31st July 2007, 14:26
OOOOOOOOOOh...I could say something...but I wont.

I think at some point, someone has to point out that the old light bulb was better.....

Mark
31st July 2007, 14:51
Then I point out that Carl already pointed that out ;)

Erki
31st July 2007, 18:34
Since when is a burnt out light bulb better than a good fresh one? :confused:

CarlMetro
31st July 2007, 19:17
Ah but was it really burnt out, or did it just fade away?

schmenke
31st July 2007, 19:38
Has the burnt one been archived? Is it still accessible?

Ian McC
31st July 2007, 20:24
The lightbulb was invented by Joseph Swan who lived about 10 minutes walk from my house! Some would believe Eddison invented the light bulb but he stole Swan's idea.

What rubbish! Eddison had the idea all along, clearly it was all his work, you Swan fans aren't interested in the facts ;)

Erki
31st July 2007, 21:45
Excellent thread. :s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2007, 01:17
Then I point out that Carl already pointed that out ;)
You can point that out, and I am just reaffirming that Carl was right. Repetition is part of many threads....

Now, we could go on and on about who is required to change the bulb, but we should really argue whether we needed to change it in the first place.....or am I repeating someone in there too? Heck, I can be bothered rereading this stuff.....pointless argument is a joy in itself...

Eki
1st August 2007, 10:33
Excellent thread. :s mokin: :up:

LotusElise
1st August 2007, 11:29
Has anyone claimed that lightbulb-changing systems work much better in other countries yet?

Eki
1st August 2007, 11:40
We should have a light-bulb subforum.

Erki
1st August 2007, 13:00
Just don't let Gilles Panizzi or Jean-Cristophe Bouillon anywhere near light bulbs. You know those crazy French. :crazy: