PDA

View Full Version : ALMS Lexington Salo vs. Enge - whose fault???

FabiaFan
26th July 2007, 18:09
Just few minutes ago I read an article saying that the collision between Enge and Salo in the last ALMS round in Lexington wasn't that clear... Anybody knowing more???

DavePI2
26th July 2007, 22:10
enge was fired as soon as he got out of the car. I would assume that means something there, but I am not sure. I will try to wath the tape to see if I can tell.

David

P.S. Has anyone ever heard of a driver being fired in the middle of a race before? I haven't.

FabiaFan
26th July 2007, 23:48
enge was fired as soon as he got out of the car. ... Has anyone ever heard of a driver being fired in the middle of a race before? I haven't.
Right! That's veeery strange! Thanks for trying to find out any fact (or rumour at least :) )about what's behind...

Danske
27th July 2007, 00:30
AIUI, Enge had an agreement with the team that he would be fired if he copped another penalty during a race. At Mid-Ohio he was behind Salo when some LMPs went through. Enge was coming up the inside of Salo in a corner, following the LMPs, and locked-up the wheels to avoid contact but tapped Salo anyway. Salo's car was smoking from a tire rubbing/going flat, and a corner or two later as Enge went by on the outside the two cars hit, both spun, Salo pitted and Enge continued on. Both cars were given penalties. Enge was fired per his agreement with the team, and Salo admitted in interviews that in the second contact he had deliberately taken Enge out.

FabiaFan
27th July 2007, 02:33
Thanks. So what exactly was Enge given this penalty for? The first contact or the second one? If for the second one, it would be not correct and therefore the team shouldn't fire him. If for the first "tapping", everything's fine just as it is... Is it so?
Anyway, Enge's manager is protesting now.

Danske
27th July 2007, 05:16
Yes, I believe Enge was given the penalty for the first contact. However, there's been some debate over whether that contact would have been worthy of a penalty had Enge not been put on probation by the series for previous incidents.

Paul Holroyd
27th July 2007, 09:10
Petersen White Lightning are a very successful race team and have won many races including the Le Mans 24 Hour, but let's not forget that they are still a privet independent race team and no matter how much money you have motorsport is expensive "dont believe anyone that says their is such a thing has cheap motorsport".

The team have had a difficult season so far and I am sure that they just can not afford to allow a driver to continue causing damage due to lack of respect and hot headed approach to racing (my opinion only).

Dale White is one of the best in the business and I am sure that it was a hard call to make but the right one.

I have had the opportunity to spend races with the team and Dale and the rest of the crew are one of the friendliest teams I have ever come across, they go out of their way to help the ALMS grid kids and fans.

I wish Thomas the best and im sure he will be racing again soon but lets give the team a bit more support they are a true ambassador to American Racing you Americans should be proud of them show your full support.

DavePI2
28th July 2007, 14:16
Good thing they don't fire people in nascar for that or everybody would be looking for a new team. Looked like just another racing incident to me, other then the fact enge was already on probation I can't figure out why he was fired. Will Salo be put on the same probation now?

David

FabiaFan
28th July 2007, 22:28
Oh no, he crashed again, hour ago in Spa... Fact is he had to catch up because of the loss of his slower teammates (his destiny :( ) - and he was quite successful in it - plenty of fastest laps at the moment (again..) but then again a crash... Too many crashes this year... But he's still damn quick...

wmcot
30th July 2007, 08:21
Good thing they don't fire people in nascar for that or everybody would be looking for a new team. Looked like just another racing incident to me, other then the fact enge was already on probation I can't figure out why he was fired. Will Salo be put on the same probation now?

David

Yeah, but in NASCAR, you're expected to crash into people. How much more boring would NASCAR be if nobody ever crashed??? What else is there to watch it for?

Enge was already on probation for his "over enthusiastic move" at Lime Rock which took out 4 or 5 cars. One thing about the ALMS series is that they have very strong rules about aggressive driving AND they enforce them. If this was F1, a committee would meet in a month or two in an expensive hotel in some exotic location and "discuss" the matter before arriving at a non-decision.

I suspect that Salo will be on some sort of probation or fined or something, but I haven't heard anything yet.

But ALMS is still the best form of motor racing designed with the FAN in mind!!! You gotta love it!!

DavePI2
30th July 2007, 11:22
well said, alms is the best

wmcot
31st July 2007, 07:07
well said, alms is the best

I just wish they had more races. Every 2 weeks like F1 would be nice!

Mark in Oshawa
31st July 2007, 15:19
I think Enge is being put down as a villian here and I think Salo is a bigger menace, but hey, that is me. As for Enge getting fired, well, his team is going broke fixing cars he keeps breaking, and I guess they sad "son, we cant afford your efforts no more".......

wmcot
2nd August 2007, 07:10
I think Enge is being put down as a villian here and I think Salo is a bigger menace, but hey, that is me. As for Enge getting fired, well, his team is going broke fixing cars he keeps breaking, and I guess they sad "son, we cant afford your efforts no more".......

Salo and Enge were both among the most competitive drivers in ALMS. I think Enge's move in Lime Rock was pretty iffy and probably 90% of the cause of his firing. I doubt the accident in Mid Ohio would have had any repercussions if he hadn't messed up at Lime Rock.