PDA

View Full Version : Wave or No Wave?

Iain
25th July 2007, 14:17
I had a road rage incident last night on the way to work. Not on my part I hasten to add, although I was angry after it. Going through my village, there is a railway bridge that will only fit one car at a time underneath. There is a priority system in place there and the direction I was going in had right of way. So I approached it last night and the car in the opposite direction stopped at the white line to let me through. As I passed the other car, he put his window down and thrust two fingers at me for some reason. I have no idea why. I can only guess that he wasn't happy because I didn't wave to him for letting me through!

I usually thank people with a wave or a nod if they let me through if I am behind a parked car on my side of the road or they let me out of a junction, but never on bits of road like that. I see some other people doing it there, but as far as I'm concerned, it's in the highway code that they have to stop, so I don't need to thank them for anything. I was pretty annoyed that he did that to me, as he had no reason to do it. That's the one thing that makes me really angry, people being rude towards me with no justification.

Would you wave at a bit of road like that?

Caroline
25th July 2007, 15:24
It's his problem, if the driver wants to behave like a twonk well that's his business. As far as I can see you did nothing wrong. Life's too short to worry about people with attitude problems. :)

Drew
25th July 2007, 17:09
I get annoyed when people don't say thank you and normally just mutter something unrepeatable here to myself in the car.

I would have 'waved' there, but then I just do it all the time :)

jim mcglinchey
25th July 2007, 18:03
Har, har I nearly caused a crash in the railway tunnel in Livingston the first time I used it.

I think you're right Iain, I'm not shy about waving thanks to some one who does me a favour on the road but I dont wave to people who are just obeying the roadmarkings etc.

GridGirl
25th July 2007, 18:33
I wouldn't of got angry like that guy.

I wouldn't say I have ever had road rage of any sort. Although if a driver has done something stupid while I was driving I would give them bit of a dirty look as I went past them, and maybe a shake of the head if it was something particually dumb.

Erki
25th July 2007, 19:02
It doesn't happen often when I "have" to wave someone. Only maybe if I have to wave someone by, but this hasn't happened yet. :p

There is one place here where I maybe should wave, but then I always have my hands full of other things. If necessary, and we stay on the same line, behind each other, I blink my emergency lights(or whatever they're called) a coupla times - works well enough. :)

schmenke
25th July 2007, 19:24
:wave:

Daniel
25th July 2007, 21:56
I'd have waved back with 3 fingers and a thumb down :p

I even waved at someone tailgating Caroline today :) I'm just a nice person :p

fandango
25th July 2007, 22:59
I had a road rage incident last night on the way to work. Not on my part I hasten to add, although I was angry after it. Going through my village, there is a railway bridge that will only fit one car at a time underneath. There is a priority system in place there and the direction I was going in had right of way. So I approached it last night and the car in the opposite direction stopped at the white line to let me through. As I passed the other car, he put his window down and thrust two fingers at me for some reason. I have no idea why. I can only guess that he wasn't happy because I didn't wave to him for letting me through!

I usually thank people with a wave or a nod if they let me through if I am behind a parked car on my side of the road or they let me out of a junction, but never on bits of road like that. I see some other people doing it there, but as far as I'm concerned, it's in the highway code that they have to stop, so I don't need to thank them for anything. I was pretty annoyed that he did that to me, as he had no reason to do it. That's the one thing that makes me really angry, people being rude towards me with no justification.

Would you wave at a bit of road like that?

It's hardly road rage, really, a couple of fingers, is it? However I think you were right not to wave when all they're doing is obeying the rules.

Iain
26th July 2007, 15:30
The aggressive manner of his gesticulation was definitely filled with rage.

Robinho
26th July 2007, 20:24
aah, road rage, don't you just love it, i must admit that i have suffered and gesticulated at other drivers, although normally not without provocation, however these days if i am confronted with a flashing light tailgater, a middle finger salute, tirade of abuse or just a stupid manouvre from someone i normally provide them with an Ironic handclap, a little wave or blow people a kiss, all 3 infuritae people and calms me down immensley

LiamM
26th July 2007, 20:39
There is a similar situation on my way to work, half way up a very steep hill the road narrows to barely one lane. There is no priority system given on the road, but it is the downhill lane that disappears

Now going to work I'm going down the hill and always let cars coming up the hill proceed, as the highway code says that you should always give way to traffic coming up a hill AND because it is their priority.

Coming back up the hill is a different story, I regularly have to struggle with a very difficult hill start - its about a 10-15% incline because people think they can force their way down the road - there has been a 'passing place' created by the kinder drivers pulling into the verge, most ignore this and speed towards you

Although last week I had had a particularly stressful day at work and I wasnt in the mood. And a woman in a Punto tried it on, I was having none of it, so I drove up to her and made her reverse back up the hill, and when I passed her I wound down the window, and let her know what the Highway Code was - more of a positive bit of road rage

Robinho
26th July 2007, 21:20
actualy reminds me of a spot near where i live where i have to contend with some serious brain donors.

there is a stretch of road leading into town from a bypass roundabout, into a housing area and then town centre.

As you head up hill from the roundabout the round turns through a long left corner with a junction halfway round, however before this there is a single lane section about 20ft long, imposed by kerbing etc. the icing on the cake is that this is one way, so you can't come through it form town, only going into it.

you can drive down to it and turn round. you can also drive down the hill legally from the other side of the one, depsite the fact you'd have to drive up to the top and turn round to use the lane coming down the hill?! :rolleyes:

the problem is, the number of people who creep through the one way (the wrong way) passing a no entry sign, round the blind bend, and then when you meet them coming the correct way they stop, look at you at you like you've defacated all over their cereal, vomited on their first born, sold their wife and been biblical with their pets. AND expect you to move.

my repsonse is to sit in the middle of the road looking dim until they back up, hopefully by the time there is a queue of traffic moving in the correct way to give the evil eye to the numpty who tried to save themselves 30secs and have failed, and know their other half is shouting at them "cos she told him not to go that way"

slinkster
26th July 2007, 22:43
It depends on my mood... and sometimes what car the other person is driving that decides wether or not I would wave at someone to thank them in this situation.

As a pedestrian I feel like I shouldn't have to thank people for stopping to let me cross the road at deignated crossings either... but I know some people always give a wave or nod when cars have stopped at a crossing. It made me feel like I was being mean so occasionally I do now... again depending on my mood. :D

CarlMetro
27th July 2007, 22:05
I tend to say thankyou to anyone who stops, whether it is my right of way or not. As for flashing tailgaters I find that, if they're a bit too close, then the aplication of windscreen washers and a little dab on the brakes at the same time works wonders. Failing that then a simple lift of the accelerator to almost match the speed of the vehicle you're currently overtaking does wonders for your own inner calm :D

Daniel
27th July 2007, 23:04
I tend to say thankyou to anyone who stops, whether it is my right of way or not. As for flashing tailgaters I find that, if they're a bit too close, then the aplication of windscreen washers and a little dab on the brakes at the same time works wonders. Failing that then a simple lift of the accelerator to almost match the speed of the vehicle you're currently overtaking does wonders for your own inner calm :D
Hell yes :)

Recently a young twit in a Rover 25 with MG badges and such on has been getting arsey with me in a lane almost on a daily basis. Basically if I don't let him by he gets all indignant :mark: Everyone with a brain knows that sometimes on a lane you're the one that stops and sometimes you get let through. Everytime we cross paths he seems to want to be let through even if he only needs to go back a few metres to let me through. Dingbat :mark:

Mark
30th July 2007, 08:54
I doubt it was because of your lack of waving. More likely he didn't have a clue what the "Other direction has priority" signs meant, or even meant the opposite of what they mean and thought you were being rude pushing through.

As for waving, I usually do so for anyone who voltuntarity stops for me, usually when negotiating parked cars.

millencolin
31st July 2007, 03:12
i'm a waver, im too patient not too. but good god i love road rage! i had this one guy in a tiny mazda going ape-sh!t at me for some reason on an entry to a highway, he was giving me the finger and calling me many types of unsavory words. so once we got on the highway, i got upto speed, got up alongside him and got my mate in the passenger seat to give him a great big moonie! (moonie is to expose ones buttocks at another for comedic purposes)... hahaha he wasnt happy after that, his face was red with anger. Thats why i love road rage, i never suffer from it, but i love rubbing it into people

BeansBeansBeans
31st July 2007, 08:51
I would have waved thanks, even though it is their right of way. There's no harm in being too nice. However, it was a bit OTT for the other bloke to gesticulate at you.