PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Lorenzo to Yamaha

tha_jackal
25th July 2007, 11:59
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd announces that it has concluded a two-year agreement with 250cc World Champion Jorge Lorenzo. The 20-year-old Spaniard will make his MotoGP debut in 2008 aboard a YZR-M1, with direct Factory support.

Lorenzo, who won the 250 title in 2006, is currently leading the championship, after winning six out of the first ten races this season.

"Yamaha has been watching Jorge's career with interest for some time and we are delighted that he will be joining our MotoGP line-up from next season” - commented Lin Jarvis, Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing. “We are sure that he will be a valuable asset for the future and we look forward to the commencement of his MotoGP career with Yamaha.”

The exact structure of Yamaha’s team and rider organization is still under consideration at the present time. Further details, including Lorenzo’s team structure, will be announced in due course.

Mach24
25th July 2007, 12:13
Yamaha MoCo have made the right decision in hiring a young gun.

In this 800 era perhaps Jorge will come up to speed quickly, but I think he will take a season or two to become a serious contender.

Yamaha must start grooming now before Rossi moves on.

ChrisS
25th July 2007, 13:00
I wonder if Fortuna will follow him, I'm sure Altadis werent very happy with their last sponsorship deal with Yamaha. Maybe he will ride for Chupa Chups Yamaha, that would be sweet :p :

best of luck to him, though I do hope he gets his ass kicked initially otherwise his head will become so big it wont fit into his helmet. Lorenzo is like Biaggi, a great talent but very self absorbed

NinjaMaster
25th July 2007, 15:13
I wonder if Fortuna will follow him, I'm sure Altadis werent very happy with their last sponsorship deal with Yamaha. Maybe he will ride for Chupa Chups Yamaha, that would be sweet :p :

best of luck to him, though I do hope he gets his ass kicked initially otherwise his head will become so big it wont fit into his helmet. Lorenzo is like Biaggi, a great talent but very self absorbed
Interesting you say that ChrisS. I remember reading an interview with Jorge, last year I think, and it was Biaggi that he looked up to. I guess he is emulating him pretty well at the moment!
This announcement (aka, the world's worst kept secret) really adds some spice to the championship next year. I read in one of the other threads that Stoners wins don't really seem to rate a mention like Rossi's, especially in the days of Max and Sete. I think this is because they get along, there is no aggro between them. Even Casey and Dani get along fine now. There is nothing like a fierce rivalry of dislike between top riders to really create some interest and love or hate Jorge, he will certainly add some intrigue to the series next year.

osg
26th July 2007, 00:07
Interesting you say that ChrisS. I remember reading an interview with Jorge, last year I think, and it was Biaggi that he looked up to. I guess he is emulating him pretty well at the moment!
This announcement (aka, the world's worst kept secret) really adds some spice to the championship next year. I read in one of the other threads that Stoners wins don't really seem to rate a mention like Rossi's, especially in the days of Max and Sete. I think this is because they get along, there is no aggro between them. Even Casey and Dani get along fine now. There is nothing like a fierce rivalry of dislike between top riders to really create some interest and love or hate Jorge, he will certainly add some intrigue to the series next year.

Agreed Ninja..... i honestly didn't think that i could hate a rider more than i hated Biaggi, but jeez, "Lorenzo's Land" or whatever he wants to promote himself as is making me think twice.

Such arrogance, so annoying and disrespectful....... what a ****er. I think he may very well be a target next year, not just by Rossi, but a few others also.

tha_jackal
26th July 2007, 02:14
I was thinking the same thing after the Laguna race.. Why aren't there fireworks in park ferme anymore? Why doesnt Rossi go and slug people (i.e Biaggi) in the nose after races anymore? I think Lorenzo could bring back the controversy and excitement (as far as rivalry goes) that is currently missing from the premier class..

osg
26th July 2007, 04:02
I was thinking the same thing after the Laguna race.. Why aren't there fireworks in park ferme anymore? Why doesnt Rossi go and slug people (i.e Biaggi) in the nose after races anymore? I think Lorenzo could bring back the controversy and excitement (as far as rivalry goes) that is currently missing from the premier class..

oooohhh i think we will see it next year with that little knob there ;)

mx311
26th July 2007, 04:26
Good for Lorenzo and Yamaha imo. Hopefully Valentino lets Jorge play on equal footing next year.

Personally though, can't stand Jorge. I am, and always will be, on the Hector Barbera side of the fence. ;)

osg
26th July 2007, 04:57
Good for Lorenzo and Yamaha imo. Hopefully Valentino lets Jorge play on equal footing next year.

Personally though, can't stand Jorge. I am, and always will be, on the Hector Barbera side of the fence. ;)

Consider me on the Dovisioso side of the fence in that case mx ;)

tha_jackal
26th July 2007, 13:46
Hector, while simple, is much more likeable than Lorenzo, who I dont think is likeable in the slightest..

ChrisS
26th July 2007, 15:17
I feel Barbera is very close to being passed by, by MotoGP even though he is very young.

will Fortuna continue to sponsor Barbera in 250 if they also sponsor Lorenzo in MotoGP? after being overshadowed by Lorenzo for 3 years in 250 and with Bautista and Lüthi moving to 250 and doing well if his sponsor is gone I think he will drop down the Aprilia racing hierarchy

leopard
27th July 2007, 04:26

Let bygones to bygones, If the scenario goes to a stand alone team for Lorenzo, it's probably Fortuna follow him, There is no hell business with Rossi who has kicked them out. It'd be fine to see Fortuna Yamaha again, please get rid the yellow and change it to the red-gray again.

Does Lorenzo have personalities problem? Not problem, Rossi has personalities problem more than Biaggi me thinks.

ops no offense Vale fans :D

Jarman
27th July 2007, 10:08
Alex Debón is confirmed to replace Lorenzo in Fortuna Aprilia

Mach24
28th July 2007, 10:53
Alex Debón is confirmed to replace Lorenzo in Fortuna Aprilia

Seems an uninspired choice.

tha_jackal
28th July 2007, 10:57
Almost as frustrating as Honda's charity for DuHamel... :mad:

maxu05
3rd August 2007, 02:40
Lorenzo, great rider, but a total prat IMO

patnicholls
9th August 2007, 00:03
I've been watching this thread for a bit, not least because some of the posts could do with editing since this is a family forum :p

Isn't a common F1 complaint that the drivers are boring robots half the time? Toeing the corporate line, etc...

Well, by that token we need Jorge and the rest to liven things up. Yes, sometimes I think he's a bit stroppy/arrogant - so what? The celebrations are all an act anyway, just like Valentino's although in a different style.

Disrespectful? Hmmmm. I've been watching him since he joined 125s with Derbi, he doesn't punt people off or anything, he's a very fair rider. Just his style's different. And different styles and cultures are good. Nicky winning the title last year was a breath of fresh air in that way.

burger
9th August 2007, 02:06
<snip>

Disrespectful? Hmmmm. I've been watching him since he joined 125s with Derbi, he doesn't punt people off or anything, he's a very fair rider. Just his style's different. And different styles and cultures are good. Nicky winning the title last year was a breath of fresh air in that way.

Umm this is the guy that got suspended for 2 races back in 05 for punting d'Angelis off with a very, very, very, very optimistic move and this year he collides with Dovi and nearly wipes him out.

While I agree he's entertaining, the boy has no respect for anyone else out on the track (which is also entertaing for those of us who are just watching)

NinjaMaster
9th August 2007, 13:37
Umm this is the guy that got suspended for 2 races back in 05 for punting d'Angelis off with a very, very, very, very optimistic move and this year he collides with Dovi and nearly wipes him out.

While I agree he's entertaining, the boy has no respect for anyone else out on the track (which is also entertaing for those of us who are just watching)
His suspension was 2 years ago when he was an (even more) hotheaded 18 year old. John Hopkins was suspended for a race in 2003 after a boofhead move took out half the field. I guess that makes him dangerous too? Jorge is a very forceful rider but he rarely causes accidents thses days.
Jorge's arrogance will add some much needed spice to the MotoGP scene next year. Things have gotten very 'pal-ly' this year with lots of back-patting and joking around. The series was far more interesting and news-worthy when Rossi and Biaggi were feuding and the addition of Lorenzo will hopefully bring a return of the intence rivalry that has disappeared from MotoGP.

maxu05
9th August 2007, 16:09
John Hopkins was fined for Kicking Carlos Checa at Laguna. In fact, Suzuki were so impressed by his kick, they are working 24/7 to get a kick start lever ready for his race bike should he stall on the grid.

burger
10th August 2007, 05:58
His suspension was 2 years ago when he was an (even more) hotheaded 18 year old. John Hopkins was suspended for a race in 2003 after a boofhead move took out half the field. I guess that makes him dangerous too? Jorge is a very forceful rider but he rarely causes accidents thses days.
Jorge's arrogance will add some much needed spice to the MotoGP scene next year. Things have gotten very 'pal-ly' this year with lots of back-patting and joking around. The series was far more interesting and news-worthy when Rossi and Biaggi were feuding and the addition of Lorenzo will hopefully bring a return of the intence rivalry that has disappeared from MotoGP.

I prefer awesome racing (eg Catalunya this year) that Valetino baiting (or boxing) mentally soggy european riders....

And after John's little move at turn 2 at Laguna, yes perhaps he's dangerous too.

NinjaMaster
10th August 2007, 12:04
I also prefer tight, elbow-to-elbow racing but I think that this years racing as a spectacle has generally been fairly ordinary. Lorenzo at least adds some interest when things are a little drawn out and having someone to hate and barrack against makes things all the more exciting. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Hopkins 'move' at Laguna was no more than a racing incident. He's had no more dodgy moves than Vale in the past 5 or so years.